AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-05-25, 20:59   Link #41
D404
Banned

10-20 mins to pick filter chain? Maybe true for some things, but others can have your brain racked for days.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 05:38   Link #42
Light-

It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to time the average 350 line episode, plus an extra 30mins to watch the episode and fix all the TPP induced errors (usually just line linking over scenechanges, although occasionaly it gets confused as to which keyframe to snap to if theres a fade).

Watching the episode afterwards makes timing seem less pointless imo.
Light- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 23:08   Link #43
alchemist11
サード
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to alchemist11 Send a message via Yahoo to alchemist11 Send a message via Skype™ to alchemist11
TL - N/A.
TLC - 2 Hrs to a week (depends on mood, the translation and anime in general).
Edit - 1-2 Hrs to a week (depends on mood, the translation "phrasing" and word use and other Editing related things).
Time - N/A (Don't do it anymore).
TS/Karaoke - 1-2 hours average, but for "heavy" animes that have signs, it'll take a few days (have to look for worthy fonts, and good sign fonts). I R NOT b0nk.
QC - Excluding Timing; 30-mins (via .ass) to 1-1.5 hour/s.
Encode - N/A (Don't do it anymore).

Last edited by alchemist11; 2008-08-12 at 23:18.
alchemist11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 14:38   Link #44
jongu
To Ride On Little Lolis

TS @ 8000+ hours is my current record. Gonna break 10k.
Old 2008-09-24, 15:28   Link #45
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongu View Post
TS @ 8000+ hours is my current record. Gonna break 10k.

Right, assuming that you have roughly eight hours of sleep a day and use the other sixteen wholly to typeset... that means you've been working on a project's typesetting for approximately one year, nineteen weeks and four days non-stop.

Man, you're slow.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 16:54   Link #46
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

It heavily varies depending on how many times I find something better to do while "working hard!" . So range between 30min and hum... 5 years ( since someone still brings up a project I never official quit from every so often ;p).
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 00:16   Link #47
Zurenriri
of Corona Subs

Send a message via AIM to Zurenriri Send a message via MSN to Zurenriri
Lol... sup bunnie.

Seeing as I've drifted into doing mostly typesetting now, and my editing skills have degraded because of it, I'll talk about TS.
TS for me depends on the series. Some easy stuff (ex: Blue Dragon) takes only a few minutes, seriously.
Harder stuff with signs all over the place or in "difficult to reach" locations (ex: Kyouran Kazoku Nikki) can take a few hours, maybe even days given my degree of inexperience.
Zurenriri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 01:18   Link #48
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurenriri View Post
Lol... sup bunnie.

Seeing as I've drifted into doing mostly typesetting now, and my editing skills have degraded because of it, I'll talk about TS.
TS for me depends on the series. Some easy stuff (ex: Blue Dragon) takes only a few minutes, seriously.
Harder stuff with signs all over the place or in "difficult to reach" locations (ex: Kyouran Kazoku Nikki) can take a few hours, maybe even days given my degree of inexperience.
it actually doesn't get much faster with experience, it just get more complex imo. You go from a 1 layer \move onscreen to a 10 layer frame by frame onscreen. You become faster with the code end of it but you are putting up much more code later. Of course some onscreen become faster. The ones you were already doing perfect at a beginner level, but the complex ones you know more about so you spend more time tweaking them.
Old 2008-09-28, 01:39   Link #49
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
\an8 is my friend

I've decided that doing blended sign typesetting is not worth my time. And the quality isn't very good either (because I suck at doing it ).
Old 2008-09-28, 05:17   Link #50
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
\an8 is my friend

I've decided that doing blended sign typesetting is not worth my time. And the quality isn't very good either (because I suck at doing it ).
I personally see no issues with top noting, though some ppl have hissy fits over it. I think it is all up to the group and their goals in the end. If you feel one way or another this si up to you. Just do whichever style you choose to do well and don't do it in a way that screams halfassed. IMO if you are only gunna do it half the way don't do it at all since it is an insult to the others who really put for the time and the effort, but thats just me...
Old 2008-09-28, 06:10   Link #51
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
I personally see no issues with top noting, though some ppl have hissy fits over it. I think it is all up to the group and their goals in the end. If you feel one way or another this si up to you. Just do whichever style you choose to do well and don't do it in a way that screams halfassed. IMO if you are only gunna do it half the way don't do it at all since it is an insult to the others who really put for the time and the effort, but thats just me...
too bad some typesetters decided to sign typeset halfassedly.
that's why certain person starts certain thread in this forum iirc.
Old 2008-09-28, 06:29   Link #52
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
too bad some typesetters decided to sign typeset halfassedly.
that's why certain person starts certain thread in this forum iirc.
well that was an extremely vague statement. It would be nice if could clarify just what you mean.
Old 2008-09-28, 08:42   Link #53
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
well that was an extremely vague statement. It would be nice if could clarify just what you mean.
Actually... "most." Most typesetters don't even have the skills, experiences, and talent to make the signs blended in. That also includes myself. Then again, they're mere opinions.

Examples:
Bad font family/face/weight/size matches, floating text (right above a plate or \an8), horrible angles, bad movements, wrong blurring, bad effects, no clippings, and the list can go on forever.

If I've decided to work like a regular .ass typesetters (blunt clipping, movements, and very basic matches), I can work like 3 times faster than they are with AFX (i.e. 20-30 signs in an hour). But since I don't want them to look like ass, it usually takes me 3 times slower than they do. (3 signs an hour) So it really disgusts me how people said that .ass typesetting is faster than afx, when there are issues to factor in.
Old 2008-09-28, 10:52   Link #54
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichu View Post
Actually... "most." Most typesetters don't even have the skills, experiences, and talent to make the signs blended in. That also includes myself. Then again, they're mere opinions.

Examples:
Bad font family/face/weight/size matches, floating text (right above a plate or \an8), horrible angles, bad movements, wrong blurring, bad effects, no clippings, and the list can go on forever.

If I've decided to work like a regular .ass typesetters (blunt clipping, movements, and very basic matches), I can work like 3 times faster than they are with AFX (i.e. 20-30 signs in an hour). But since I don't want them to look like ass, it usually takes me 3 times slower than they do. (3 signs an hour) So it really disgusts me how people said that .ass typesetting is faster than afx, when there are issues to factor in.
the person in question showed up

but yeah, sign typesetting with .ass is dangerous, most of time it do more damage than good. I haven't tried using AFX though so I can't comment on that.
And by the way, if 3 times slower than 20-30 signs in an hour means 6-10 signs in an hour, not 3

I must thank whomever invented this useful fansubBlock.ttf . \an8 (or as I prefer, \an7) doesn't look as bad anymore - and faster, in addition it can be softsubbed without worries
Old 2008-09-28, 13:56   Link #55
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
the person in question showed up

but yeah, sign typesetting with .ass is dangerous, most of time it do more damage than good. I haven't tried using AFX though so I can't comment on that.
And by the way, if 3 times slower than 20-30 signs in an hour means 6-10 signs in an hour, not 3
What I mean by "3 times slower than `they`" is that it's relative to the ASS typesetting... Here's a table for better understanding:

(AFX Typesetting like ASS TS1)(ASS Typesetting2)(Real AFX Typesetting3)
Ratio speed to .ASS TS3:11:11:3
Ratio speed to real AFX TS9:13:11:1
Average number of signs in an hour30103
SpeedFastGood paceSlow
QualitySo-so (5/10)Good (6/10)Excellent (9/104)
1 Basic AFX typesetting includes basic 3D angles, basic font matches, basic movements (aka motion tracking), placements, color matches, and keying
2 Decent .ass typesetting includes basic 3D angles (\org\frx\fry\frz), basic font matches, basic movements, color matches, placements, basic video matches (mostly blurs via \bord and alphas) and clipping
3 Real AFX typesetting includes exact 3D angles matches, font matches, advanced movements (zero-out the imperfect motion tracking), work all the effects, match everything on the video (blurring, sharping, interlacing, blocking, chroma noise, mosquito noise, etc), keying/masking, and the list can go on and on.
4 It's 9/10 because it is impossible to have a good typesetting without modifying the original video, so the score is automatically deducted.
Sorry encoders, I just turned this thread into an endless TS bantering -_-;

Last edited by pichu; 2008-09-28 at 14:23.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 19:34   Link #56
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
What I mean by "3 times slower than `they`" is that it's relative to the ASS typesetting... Here's a table for better understanding:

SpeedFastGood paceSlow
1 Basic AFX typesetting includes basic 3D angles, basic font matches, basic movements (aka motion tracking), placements, color matches, and keying
2 Decent .ass typesetting includes basic 3D angles (\org\frx\fry\frz), basic font matches, basic movements, color matches, placements, basic video matches (mostly blurs via \bord and alphas) and clipping
3 Real AFX typesetting includes exact 3D angles matches, font matches, advanced movements (zero-out the imperfect motion tracking), work all the effects, match everything on the video (blurring, sharping, interlacing, blocking, chroma noise, mosquito noise, etc), keying/masking, and the list can go on and on.
4 It's 9/10 because it is impossible to have a good typesetting without modifying the original video, so the score is automatically deducted.
I personally think to compare them at all is rather pointless. They are apples and oranges with how they work and they both have good and bad points imo. But pichu, sometimes you go way overboard with these "statistical analysis" stuff of yours. You cannot have a statistical analysis with only yourself as the variable that holds much water ;p.

And TS bantering ftw~ I'm tired of reading about encoding in every thread ;D
Old 2008-09-28, 19:37   Link #57
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:

SpeedFastGood paceSlow

Does this typesetting model take into account "lazy days"?
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 20:09   Link #58
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Does this typesetting model take into account "lazy days"?
I thought all days were lazy days for TSers ^_^
Old 2008-09-28, 22:06   Link #59
pichu
*Fansubber

I don't like to compare to other people... If I do, I'll be bashing other people. But yes, that's my speed of working in all three cases. I'm sure it differs with other people.
It's by nothing near to statistics, btw. It's just a better representation for other people to see. If you want to add more to this "statistics, " be my guest.:/
Old 2008-09-28, 23:18   Link #60
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
I don't like to compare to other people... If I do, I'll be bashing other people. But yes, that's my speed of working in all three cases. I'm sure it differs with other people.
It's by nothing near to statistics, btw. It's just a better representation for other people to see. If you want to add more to this "statistics, " be my guest.:/
Your post was very much presented in a non-personal way imo. It seemed like you were speaking for the general mass. And by all means feel free to bash. Though I am not interested in getting into the actual fray myself, I do love a good old holywar of on subjective material. *gets warm fuzzies* =D

Tags
fansubbing, time