AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-30, 22:31   Link #1
dmarchu

Talking Need recommendations

Hi hi,

I have been out of the anime loop for a while and I have no idea what good new anime has come up.

previous stuff I have watched and liked:
Death Note
Trigun
Bleach
Naruto
School Rumble
Monster
DearS
Detective Conan
Ranma
Love Hinna

I am looking for a comedy or some sort of intriguing anime like Monster and Death Note

I would appreciate your help

Thanks!
Old 2008-05-30, 22:59   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Provided you don't mind mecha, Code Geass is well worth giving a look. It has a tendency to keep you on the edge of your seat, and the main character fights his battles using wit, strategy and intelligence, not with the usual godlike piloting skills; he is pretty average of a pilot.

For something darker, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is something i highly recommend. Among my top 3 animes, this has got to be my horror/mystery i have seen up to date. Excellent characters, intriguing mystery and creepy atmosphere, lightened up by some peaceful moments here and there. Among the very few things i actually consider creepy.

Gekijouban Kara no Kyoukai - rather heavy and atmospheric mystery/fantasy/horror(?), with some psychological elements. Excellent animation and cinematography, excellent soundtrack.

Ghost Hunt - the uninspiring title does it no justice. An interesting show about a team of paranormal researchers that deal with supernatural phenomenon and related issues. Mystery/horror(?)

As for comedy, Seto no Hanayome is what you need. The best comedy i have seen in a good while, every single episode oozing with energy and craziness. If this doesn't make you laugh, i don't know what will
Old 2008-05-31, 00:09   Link #3
Kushi

I second Code geass, if you liked Death Note you'll probably like CG. It has the same battle of wits and the main character with a special ability. It's very different but very similiar at the same time.

Have you tried D Gray Man? It's very similiar to Bleach. Or at least in my opinion. Deals with people unable to pass into the after life and turning into Akuma (Hollows).

Uhm, if you liked Ranma, you definitely should try Maison Ikkoku. It's by the same mangaka. In terms of what it's about, it's a romance comedy.

Anyways there are azillions of animes / manga out there I want to recommend to you.. since the animes you like are pretty much my own favorite too. So I'll just make a list and the reason is because you seem to have similiar taste in as I do.
Some of it is manga :P
Spoiler for List:
Old 2008-06-02, 01:41   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm going to recommend this to as many people as possible. Texhnolyze, it is a very intriguing series.
Old 2008-06-03, 21:40   Link #5
dmarchu

thanks everyone!

I started with code geass, and I am addicted, I found it pretty good, once i catch up with that one i'll check out the others and I'll let u know what i think

Thanks again!
Old 2008-06-03, 22:17   Link #6
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

You should try Seto no Hanayome next. As Skyfall said it is the best comedy out there =D
Full Metal Panic, Shakugan no Shana and Fate Stay Night should be in your list too.. they are a must see xD
Old 2008-06-04, 15:40   Link #7
Practical joke
...completely lost it...

Second shakugan no shana and fate/stay night.

Also try the running show D gray men.
Maybe wolf's rain might be something for you as well.
Old 2008-06-04, 18:40   Link #8
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
If you like Bleach and Naruto, you might like Claymore. It is much more dark than either of those shows however, and the main character Clare is much more of an underdog, but it has the same type of "power up" arcs--at only 26 episodes thus far, it is a breeze to watch compared to either of the other lengthy series.

If you like DearS, you'll probably like Clamp's Chobits. It is a bit less ecchi but the same basic premise, a guy finds a girl with no memories and has to teach her...the difference is Chii is a robot.

If you like Ranma, then why not check out earlier and later works by the same author. Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku both predate Ranma 1/2, while they lack combat, they are pure romantic comedy. Her later works like Inuyasha, are more focused on combat and such, but still have some romantic elements. If you liked the transformations, there's plenty of shows with similar "gender" bending properties, like Fruits Basket or Tenshi na Konamaiki.

You mention intriguing, I'll throw in Haibane Renmei--the show has nearly no action at all, but instead you have an angel being born into a world with strange rules and her trying to figure out, who she might have been and what that means. It deals with some pretty interesting issues, loss, redemption, pain, suffering, life and death.