AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2008-06-05, 12:56   Link #41
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Theres an import game store, near my house in china town, that has an unopen copy of Suikoden 2 for 350 bucks... yeah its expensive...

Is suikoden 5 that good? I gave up on the suikoden series due to the fact that I wanted to kill myself from playing suikoden 4... 3 was decent at best, but 4 butchered it, and the spin off suikoden tactics was appalling... ugh.. I didn't even wanna play 5 because of the jaded experience.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 13:21   Link #42
Sciel
Etoilé

I've never played any other Suikoden besides V but i felt it was pretty good bar the start of the game which felt rather slow paced.
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 13:23   Link #43
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Yeah, I'd say it's the second best Suikoden game (with 2 being the best). The only downside is that the prologue is rather lengthy, but as soon as the main character is out on his own it feels like classic Suikoden. They even use the battle system from the 2nd game with the skills system from the recent ones. All in all one of my favorite RPGs for PS2.
Old 2008-06-12, 10:58   Link #44
rimaa

If you haven't played the Fire Emblem for GC do NOT get the one for Wii, the GC one is FAR superior in my opinion (in terms of story, they both have the same game play/graphics with minor differences).

As for my recommendations....
JRPG: Persona 3 and Suikoden III
Action RPG: Dark Cloud II , Kingdom Hearts and Odin Sphere
rimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 11:13   Link #45
Flame-X
Anti-fan

If you have a Nintendo DS then play..
The World Ends With You
FF CC Ring of Fates
FF3
Old 2008-06-12, 14:27   Link #46
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Theres an import game store, near my house in china town, that has an unopen copy of Suikoden 2 for 350 bucks... yeah its expensive...
300 was one of the highest prices you'll see for Suikoden 2 back then nearly 10 years ago, but that's including used copies too that went a little over 200 rarely. I'm sort of glad the price has dwindled down at least. Used copies nearly went easily for 200 at one point like I said. So a brand new copy for 300 (even for collection purposes) is pretty nice though I'd figure the price would have dropped even lower considering the number of factors including emulators.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 15:07   Link #47
DeotoxSlayer

Can anyone give me a summary of Final Fantasy X, and Kingdam Hearts(Gameplay, Story, Character Development) , and whether they're good or not, I'm planning on buying them when I get my PS3 on the 19th so I'm wondering if someone can summarize them.

Also I gotta agree that Suikoden II was good, I never beat the game myself but I really loved the part of it that I played.
Old 2008-06-12, 15:55   Link #48
Snuffle
likes cute things

Location: Where all the cute and pretty silver hair girls are :)
I beat Suikoden II from start to end like 3 times O_o;; I just love that game, was a classic. Suikoden V is the next best thing to that for better or worse.

Leaving out which FF is "the best"... A quick summary of FF10 from what I remember, been about 2 yrs or more since I played it.

The main char Tidus gets pulled into another world/dimension and learns things about his family which he wouldn't have learned in his original world. He meets a girl which he fancy, and decides to travel with her which happens to be Yuna the summoner. Tidus learns why Yuna and all her friends are traveling together, which would be to defeat a monster called SIN that destorys towns. I think explaining more would be to much of a spoiler, so I'll stop.

Now if you are familuar about summoners from other FF games then this should be easy to understand. Unlike other FF games where a summoner is pretty much just another magic caster. In FF10, the summoner is a major if not all, part of the story. There is a strong focus on traveling and gaining more things to summon. I found the gameplay, story and character development enjoyable enough for me to play through this game 2 times.

As for recommendations. Not sure if this has been mentioned already. But Xenogears (not saga), is nice. I just love the battle system in that. I'll go in depth later for more recommendations. I was planning to go through my list of owned games and say a bit about them here. Till next time!
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 16:56   Link #49
SephyrrNoTsurugi

Character Development in Zelda? Hahaha. That's a good one. Mario? Same deal. It also happens in Kirby games and most Megaman games. They aren't RPG's, but yeah.

I like Tales of Phantasia. It has a wonderful storyline and plot and the combat doesn't get old extremely fast. For both gameplay and plot, I recommend this game. Character development is evident but the story gets most of the points. The Music is alright but not especially epic.

Final Fantasy 6,7,8,9,10 are also pretty nice games. For character development, 6 is my favorite. All of the major characters (excluding GoGo and Umaru obv.) experience a life-changing experience and is very touching and deep. For combat, I really am not too into Final Fantasy Combat. Final Fantasy 10 has the best use of magic (status effects work very well), 6 has the best use of non-magic skills, 8 has the best (and broken) Limit Break system, and 7 has the best equipment/leveling system (materia, etc.). Graphics are kind of poor, though brilliant for their respective systems. Music is brilliant on all of the games. There really aren't many games that can match up to the music for those games.

Legend of Dragoon. I don't think I saw this title up there. I guess it's for PSone but since you said PS2, I'll go ahead and count it as well. This game has a very good plot development and character development. In this games, non-played characters also experience major character changes and turning events. The battle system requires a bit of work if you aren't coordinated but is based off a combo system where you hit X (continue combo or use finisher) or O (prevents counterattacks) at the right time. Magic can only be used when a character turns into a Dragoon (limited rounds based on level) or as a one-time item though the magic system is not balanced and good like Final Fantasy X's. The storyline for this game matches FF6's only you have a inconsistent dungeon layout. FF6's are generally really annoying whereas LofD's are sometimes annoying, and sometimes really simple. I'm generally not good with plot intros so you might consider looking elsewhere for it.

A few others:

Xenogears. Less known than LofD, Xenogears is another RPG with Heavy Character Development. The combat is very good and also employs a combo system though it is sort of like button input combinations than reaction time. The story is wonderful and the game is put in an anime format. Cutscenes are great and the graphics are very good (PSone game). However, the game is often said to have too many Cutscenes. I love this game, but it's in the others because people who like combat and dungeon exploring to an extreme may not like the countless cutscenes. The music is exceptionally epic in this game.

Star Ocean (Till the End of Time) is a Plot/Character Development game. If it was turned into an anime (maybe it is one already), I would watch it rather than play the game. Terrible and annoying battle system (well, it gets old and the stupid characters yell out their attacks every time you use them). BUT! The story is top-notch. The creators just messed up the battle system. The dungeons are also really annoying and often, I find myself rushing through dungeons JUST so I can get to the next cutscenes and such. It can be a game played in parts so the battle doesn't get old, but be careful of confusion.

Bottom Line:
Play FF6 and Legend of Dragoon. If there are any games that you are considering for these consoles, these are the ones I recommend. If you had put GBA or DS up, maybe I would have said differently, but these two games are what I think you should put effort into.

FF6:
Raw gameplay: 7
Battle System - 7.5 (not very involved, limit breaks are not well done, evade does nothing, status magic is worthless, etc)
Dungeons - 6.5 (not that good, somewhat repetative)
Mini-Games - n/a
Elements: 10
Plot - 10 (Crazy Awesome)
Character Development - 10 (Very good. Sidequests for almost all characters)
Setting - 8.0 (Err. Too many revisitations and some places look the same or do not provide a "yes, i want to come to this place AGAIN" feeling).
Music - 10 (Epic. Wonderful. I could listen to it for a very long time).

Legend of Dragoon
Raw gameplay: 8
Battle System - 8.5 (involved with reflexes or coordination, a little boring though, new combos are gained and dragoon system is nicely done, some magic worthless but status ones>damage)
Dungeons - 8.0 (Inconsistent, some are nice and short, others are nice and long, the ancient wingly cities and deserts suck terribly though, and get -2 by themselves)
Mini-Games - 8.0 (some like the carnival are sort of fun, but things like making laws and dodging jailguards are terrible)
Elements: 9
Plot - 9.0 (out to save the world, go to the moon...all in all very good. a little cliched though)
Character Development - 20...just kidding. 10/10 Perfect. There is a lot of change in all of the characters. Some realize their wrongs (fatal flaws) but others just stay completely evil to the end. Some previously evil characters even turn good. And non-played characters also experience change. Exceeds.
Setting - 9.0 (fine
Music - 8 (The Music isn't exceptionally friendly. Nonetheless, it is very nice and accompanies the game well)
SephyrrNoTsurugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 21:11   Link #50
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
Can anyone give me a summary of Final Fantasy X, and Kingdam Hearts(Gameplay, Story, Character Development) , and whether they're good or not, I'm planning on buying them when I get my PS3 on the 19th so I'm wondering if someone can summarize them.
I'll just add that the combat systems of these two games are very different. Final Fantasy X, like all the FF games before it, uses a turn-based system. In fact, the FFX system is much more flexible than the ones in the earlier games because you can shuttle your characters in and out during battle. Kingdom Hearts is more like a platform game where you mash buttons to attack opponents in real time.

Both games have the usual Square story of a small band of good guys fighting monstrous evil. One aspect of Final Fantasy X that attracted me right away was its portrayal of how organized religion can be an oppressive political force. You won't find perspectives like that in a story that has to be approved in Burbank, CA. The creators of this game seemed right in sync with political developments around the world at the start of the new millenium. I thought it took a lot of guts to put that story line into a game that was destined to sell millions of copies around the world.

From a much less lofty perspective, I definitely find watching an on-screen party including the lovely Yuna and the seductive Lulu much more appealing than watching Sora, Donald, and Goofy. I suspect female players might prefer watching Auron and Kimarhi, or even Tidus or Wakka, to the Disney guys as well. (Rikku's too bubbly for me though her thieving abilities are very useful.)

I played a few PS/1 platformers like Insomniac's Spiro the Dragon series when my daughter was small. We got a PS/2 when she was about ten, and I decided to buy FFX on a whim despite its "T" (teen) rating. I had seen the movie, but that was all I knew about "Final Fantasy," and other than remarkable CGI graphics, the movie and the games have almost nothing in common.

Final Fantasy X quickly became my favorite game because of the lengthy story, the quite spectacular for their time graphics, and the chess-like nature of play that you get in a turn-based game. I came to Final Fantasy X as a complete novice so I didn't bring the pre-conceptions of people who had already played most or all of its predecessors. I generally prefer games where the characters are life size, so I like X and VIII more than IX and VII. (I also think VIII, along with VI, has one of the best scripts and is totally undeserving of the scorn that has been heaped upon it.)

I'd rather play Shadow Hearts: Covenant than Kingdom Hearts, myself. But I'd definitely recommend playing Final Fantasy X.

If you like platformers at all, I recommend renting Ratchet and Clank Future for your new PS/3 just to see what it's capable of.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-06-12 at 21:24.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 06:07   Link #51
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Chrono Trigger All the Way....

character development is superb, there are 13 possible endings, and it made me cry

game play, classic, extremly simple and amazing

story - amazing again...

Rogue Galaxy is another fun one, really good story and I spent countless hours on factories...
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 06:37   Link #52
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Ogre Battle Series. Although its a strategy RPG, its still the greatest series of all time, IMO. All the stories are interlinked. Its like reading a series of novels, with the exception of Knights of Lodis, all Ogre Battle games will have appearances of some of the characters from the first game.

Ogre Battle Chapter IV: March of the Black Queen. (SNES, and PS1)
Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia. (This is a side story to the first ogre battle game, NEOGEO POCKET)
Ogre Battle Chapter V: Person of Lordly Calibur. (N64. The return of the main hero from the first game was in this one, it was simply orgasmic!)
Ogre Battle Chapter VI: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling together. (SNES and PS1, this one had such a sad story)
Ogre Battle Chapter 0: Tactics Ogre Knights of Lodis. (GBA, this game is the story about the ancestor of the leader of the main bad guys of the series. The Kingdom of Lodis is the main protagonist, and they are ruled by a pope, and the main hero of this story is the ancestor of that pope.)
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 10:01   Link #53
Sciel
Etoilé

I can't believe i forgot to mention Radiata Stories . I <3 it and its probably one of my favorite games on the PS2 . The battle system is similar to SO3 just that you can only control the main character . IMO This is the only game in recent memory where Tri-Ace has created a decent storyline that isn't whacked up .
The Game has 2 branching story paths as well as having being able to recruit a shitload of characters (i can't remember the exact number but it was suikoden-like i believe)
Old 2008-06-17, 11:32   Link #54
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

at the current moment i have a ps1 console psp gamboy advance Nintendo DS ans ps 2

alsoi have like a ton of game in my ps 1 closet(maybe around 300 games)

um let see here for me a great story line that might really happen is Parasite eve1 and 2 if any question about ps 1 game that i might have ask me anything i might say a few secret with ya hehehehe

also is there any one here paying threads of fate??? and Xenogear and also tales of destiny is there any unlovkable secrets here???
Old 2008-06-17, 11:57   Link #55
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

I'd recommend pretty much anything from the game developer company Atlus, especially if you're a SRPG fan. Games like Rondo of Swords, Etrian Odyssey, Arcana Heart, Summon Night and Izuna the unemployed Ninja are some great games.
Old 2008-06-17, 13:07   Link #56
Amray

ETERNAL SONATA FTW!!!

If not then Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts (both), Star Ocean (any), Dark Chronicle or Silent Hill 2.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 13:36   Link #57
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
I can't believe i forgot to mention Radiata Stories . I <3 it and its probably one of my favorite games on the PS2 . The battle system is similar to SO3 just that you can only control the main character . IMO This is the only game in recent memory where Tri-Ace has created a decent storyline that isn't whacked up .
The Game has 2 branching story paths as well as having being able to recruit a shitload of characters (i can't remember the exact number but it was suikoden-like i believe)
I totally forgot about this one. I played through the Japanese version twice and the English version 3 or 4 times (I hardly ever replay this much!). Visually, it's a very beautiful game and I loved the extra dungeon just for the scene with Lenneth.

Well, I've played Threads of Fate. I enjoyed it, but it's been a long time. Hmm, maybe I'll put it on my psp...
Old 2008-06-22, 12:10   Link #58
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

RPGs on the PS/3?

Now for a slightly different question. We just purchased a PS/3 when our PS/2's drive motor bit the dust. So far we've tried the two Insomniac games, the platformer Ratchet and Clank Future and the FPS Resistance: Fall of Man. (I don't think either my daughter or I will continuing playing that one for long. She's already beaten R&C, and I'm on my way there soon, too.)

I'd prefer that we actually use the device to play games and not just to watch BD movies. So how about RPGs for the PS/3? Are we just going to be waiting around until FF XIII is released, or are there any good RPGs already available for the PS/3?
Old 2008-06-22, 12:30   Link #59
fallin up
my life is a harem

pokemon is always good
fallin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 06:55   Link #60
Sciel
Etoilé

I'm currently playing folklore now and its quite good . Currently only at chapter one though since it just arrived today xD . Its not a turn based rpg , but more of a action rpg / adventure game with rpg elements depending on how you want to put it .

IIRC there aren't any english ps3 games out yet except probably enchanted arms which from what i've heard is pretty average.