AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2008-10-20, 19:53   Link #441
LKK

*sigh* Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in this thread who's watching the show primarily for Touma and his interactions with Index. Touma's power is cool. The concept of a negative power -- one that cancels -- is unusual. You don't often see that. But what makes the show most interesting are the little moments when Touma shows us how much Index has affected him. Episode 1 where he saw her unconscious at his front door (right before he realized she was bleeding). Episode 2 when she nearly passed out on the park bench. Episode 3 just before where their pride led to their fight. The powers are interesting; the animation is nicely done, but those are the moments I look for most in the show.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 20:06   Link #442
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Touma's power is cool. The concept of a negative power -- one that cancels -- is unusual. You don't often see that.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiMagic
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 20:07   Link #443
Midonin
Last Engage

Heh. That was created only a few days ago, spurred on partly by the premiere of Index.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 20:13   Link #444
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Okay, so maybe it isn't that unique across the entire spectrum, but still an interesting power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Heh. That was created only a few days ago, spurred on partly by the premiere of Index.
To Aru was exactly my inspiration for that page, hence the image.
Old 2008-10-20, 20:24   Link #445
JediNight
キズランダム

Magic nullifying ability is a rarely used ability in stories lets say

And I'm surprised the main character from Code-E/Mission-E wasn't listed under the WalkingTechbane page that links off AntiMagic.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 03:27   Link #446
elroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for novel:
Sry, i read the novel once more, mistaken it with other volume...

Spoiler for The part i thought was:
elroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 04:08   Link #447
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Watching Ep3 almost got me to sleep until Kanzaki showed up.

Not that's one hot samurai babe right there. Skinny torn jeans w/ that simple top and her messed up hair. God, she's like a metalhead babe. I love her. /To those who are reading the novels, does she have an "arc"? I heard Toaru will focus on each of the girls one by one.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 04:58   Link #448
indicatoto101

The magic barrier will probably be explained further in the next episode. Kanzaki said that no one (non-magic users) would be able to enter the barrier, but it would be interesting to see if esper powers can penetrate the barrier. Meaning that Mikoto doesn't have to enter the barrier (and I'm hoping she'll make an appearance and help Touma out); she only has to zap Kanzaki from far.
Old 2008-10-21, 07:21   Link #449
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Given that Touma is antimagic, he could have disabled the barrier, whether he comes through it or not.

If the barrier doesn't exist, there is nothing in between her and getting screwed.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 07:55   Link #450
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

Quote:
Magic nullifying ability is a rarely used ability in stories lets
Why do I remembered Mx0 suddenly 0.o;

Indeed, I thought at first that Touma would be a worthless guy with unusual power. In fact, we get a guy with unusual power and have a 'decent' personality, not wortheless, pretty logical, 'smart' (Hey, remember episode 2 ? :P), and kinda cool

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 08:07   Link #451
Silaqui

Send a message via ICQ to Silaqui
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
*sigh* Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in this thread who's watching the show primarily for Touma and his interactions with Index.
No, you're not.
Old 2008-10-21, 08:28   Link #452
Tsukou

I have to say I like the execution of Mx0 as opposed to To Aru, simply because while it wasn't "visible" there was a limit as to what Mx0 could erase. Taiga was always aware of that limitation thus used it sparingly. While Touma's ability causes him to destroy his own fortune, if he just works on his physique (like Taiga had, unwillingly) it really is an unstoppable power. Unless of course.. people like.. use a gun on him.. haha. I guess the problem I had is like in the first episode, he stopped the girl's rail gun, but the object itself is still moving at an accelerated rate, so wouldn't he still have taken the damage? Or does it nullify momentum/velocity/acceleration/..everything?

Also, another question is, why does his ability only delete his fortune? Shouldn't it also delete his misfortune? Shouldn't he technically be neutral? A state of.. nothingness..

Finally, I'm kind of worried how magic will play out. If it's as complicating as "pre-battle" posting runes all over an area, or having to do a long exhaustive ceremony.. battles will be based on preparation, as opposed to overall execution? Espers seem to have the advantage as they can use their ability without having to prepare.. Or is preparation only for healing, and otherwise big spells like summoning the Innocenti?
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 08:44   Link #453
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
I guess the problem I had is like in the first episode, he stopped the girl's rail gun, but the object itself is still moving at an accelerated rate, so wouldn't he still have taken the damage? Or does it nullify momentum/velocity/acceleration/..everything?
I don't think she actually shot at him with the railgun, she did it once as a demonstration and then just used normal electricity. Note that the railgun is red (presumably from the superheated coin) while her normal attacks are blue.

Quote:
Also, another question is, why does his ability only delete his fortune? Shouldn't it also delete his misfortune? Shouldn't he technically be neutral? A state of.. nothingness..
Depends on how you think luck works. Yeah, that's one way of looking at it, but the way the series seems to imply that luck is only a positive thing. There's no such thing as negative luck, it only goes down to zero. "Unlucky" simply means "out of luck." Think of it like heat. You can add heat or take it away. You can't add or subtract "coldness." It only goes down to absolute zero, because there's no such thing as negative heat. Touma's just at "absolute zero" for his luck.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 09:39   Link #454
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

I thought fortune was a 'divine power' that came from the god themselves. Literally means, that fortune = Unusual power/magic/sort of. They never said that misfortune is a magic themselves so. . .It's pretty logical that the only things that Touma cancelled was only fortune.

. . . .

But can you call him unlucky while he's being surrounded by 2 and more beautiful girl in his daily life and all of them likes him ? >_>; (Index, Mikoto, Komoe-sensei !) lol.

Old 2008-10-21, 09:46   Link #455
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
II guess the problem I had is like in the first episode, he stopped the girl's rail gun, but the object itself is still moving at an accelerated rate, so wouldn't he still have taken the damage? Or does it nullify momentum/velocity/acceleration/..everything?
The attack he blocked was just a basic spear of lightning.
No, his ability would only eliminate the lightning. The coin would continue to move at its current speed. (Though please note that the coin moves at such a speed that it burns away in 50 meters...)

Quote:
Luck in this series seems to be treated as a supernatural/magic, such as "God's protection". Misfortune doesn't, it seems, for whatever reason (maybe the author didn't think about that).

Quote:
Or is preparation only for healing, and otherwise big spells like summoning the Innocenti?
Magic doesn't always require difficult preperations like Stiyl's Innocentius.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 09:52   Link #456
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Luck in this series seems to be treated as a supernatural/magic, such as "God's protection". Misfortune doesn't, it seems, for whatever reason (maybe the author didn't think about that).
Actually, I was under the impression that it might just be Index's guess/theory, after all she is a sister, and that maybe Touma is just 'naturally' unlucky No real reason for it.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 10:07   Link #457
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Actually, I was under the impression that it might just be Index's guess/theory, after all she is a sister, and that maybe Touma is just 'naturally' unlucky No real reason for it.
I dunno. She sounded pretty convincing when she said that. Like she knew it for a fact. I suspect the reason behind Touma's lack of good luck is explained in one of the books in her head.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 10:09   Link #458
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

Quote:
Are you doubting her super memory and the her library of grimoire in her brain ?

Old 2008-10-21, 10:11   Link #459
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
His "bad luck" could also be simply explained as "He's a really clumsy boy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Are you doubting her super memory and the her library of grimoire in her brain ?
Except that Imagine Breaker is not a magic or supernatural power, so the great dictionary of magic tomes shouldn't be able to explain it.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 10:53   Link #460
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
But can you call him unlucky while he's being surrounded by 2 and more beautiful girl in his daily life and all of them likes him ? >_>; (Index, Mikoto, Komoe-sensei !) lol.
To a degree you could call him unlucky. One bites him, one tries to electricute him, and one makes him stay after class . Suppose you could argue how that isn't unlucky though. But I guess that's just how his cards were dealt. The story of Touma's luck is an interesting one.

Tags
fantasy, magic, science fiction, shounen