AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-12, 05:28   Link #1321
BlueDo

Is that so?
Well, my point still stands for Kihara.
Old 2010-01-12, 07:02   Link #1322
stillmissing

tsunade666,

with regards to your questions to Plant42, Sogita Gunha is an unknown factor. In his brief appearance he demonstrated an extremely impressive power. He may be ranked 7th, but this ranking may be a result of a lack of understanding of his abilities.

As for Index, Plant42 clearly means Index with the ability to use all the magic stored in her head, and not Index in her current state. In her current state most characters could just walk up to her and beat her up, and there isn't much she could do about it. If Touma had not destroyed her protective garment, that wouldn't be the case, but sadly she is very vulnerable at the moment. With the capability to use all the magic on the other hand, she would be a force to be reckoned with.

Of course, there are huge variances in power just across Plant42's list.

As for Stiyl, while he's honestly something of a genius researcher in his field (runes), he's a poor combatant. I would put money on Motoharu against Mikoto before I would put money on Stiyl. And since Motoharu's abilities are largely useless in combat, I'm basing that simply on the fact that he, unlike Stiyl, is a skilled combatant.

As for Mikoto, well, I don't think it's really a question of power. Honestly, among the people you would think of as Touma's regular allies, only Kaori is more powerful than Mikoto. Rather the general argument is that despite her power she's "an ordinary girl" who has no combat training nor much in the way of real combat experience. It's not really a bad argument, but the truth is that despite imagine breaker, Touma is an ordinary boy. His combat experience was basically some street fights with young punks. And this is to his great detriment whenever he faces someone who isn't dependent on supernatural powers in combat.

In both their cases I would say it's more a matter of their will to get things done, than their experiences in combat. And neither is lacking in that respect.

I imagine, that despite his conversations with Etzali and Misuzu, Touma won't be able to keep Mikoto from getting involved in his struggles much longer.
Old 2010-01-12, 07:04   Link #1323
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
Is that so?
Well, my point still stands for Kihara.
I don't see how Mikoto could fair any better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillmissing View Post
As for Index, Plant42 clearly means Index with the ability to use all the magic stored in her head, and not Index in her current state. In her current state most characters could just walk up to her and beat her up, and there isn't much she could do about it. If Touma had not destroyed her protective garment, that wouldn't be the case, but sadly she is very vulnerable at the moment. With the capability to use all the magic on the other hand, she would be a force to be reckoned with.
Against 'normal' magicians, Index could also hold her own pretty well.
Old 2010-01-12, 07:18   Link #1324
stillmissing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Against 'normal' magicians, Index could also hold her own pretty well.
yes, her two abilties can be useful in those situations. But as I mentioned, many of them could just walk right up to her and beat her up. This is why the barrier of the walking church was always vital in order to keep her safe from harm.
Old 2010-01-12, 13:51   Link #1325
tsunade666

Why aren't they even fixing the absolute barrier of the walking church to begin with?
Old 2010-01-12, 16:42   Link #1326
ZeroForever

assuming it's not easy to make one it's likely because touma will imagine breaker it whenever he touches her, like the first time it happened (though honestly couldn't he just wear a glove to get around this).
Old 2010-01-13, 12:56   Link #1327
tsunade666

I think even with gloves on it still useless. Because in a field type or just being around it. It can naturally dispel magic and super phenomenon.
Old 2010-04-21, 20:55   Link #1328
cubicjack
Kino fanboy

Don't know where this question belongs, so I'll just ask in this thread.

So, about the audio dramas, including the radio dramas and the ones in the Archives CDs. Did the author say anything about the "canonicality" of those?

I wasn't quite into Index yet when the audio dramas started coming out, so I never really read anything about them. I even forgot that they exist until recently. Now that the Railgun anime is over and there's probably gonna be a while until vol. 21, I figured this would be a good time to listen to them.
Old 2010-04-21, 23:10   Link #1329
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubicjack View Post
Don't know where this question belongs, so I'll just ask in this thread.

So, about the audio dramas, including the radio dramas and the ones in the Archives CDs. Did the author say anything about the "canonicality" of those?

I wasn't quite into Index yet when the audio dramas started coming out, so I never really read anything about them. I even forgot that they exist until recently. Now that the Railgun anime is over and there's probably gonna be a while until vol. 21, I figured this would be a good time to listen to them.
So far, nope. I took a little time to listen to one of them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
I don't know whether audio dramas are just alternate stories without any relevance to canon, but...

Spoiler for Imouto?:

... don't ask me for a wholesome essay-like summary because I only understand parts that I can, not the entirety of it ^^;

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2010-04-22, 01:17   Link #1330
tsunade666

what! kaori has a IMOUTO!? and imouto has a baby!? what what what..... but kaori is just 18... what makes her younger sister...17 below and already a baby?............ well its japan. anything is possible.

Soul: do you had a link or save for it? the audio drama. I want to listen on it.

Last edited by tsunade666; 2010-04-23 at 06:36.
Old 2010-04-22, 02:14   Link #1331
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
what! kaori has a IMOUTO!? and imouto has a babay!? what what what..... but kaori is just 18... what makes her younger sister...17 below and already a baby?............ well its japan. anything is possible.

Soul: do you had a link or save for it? the audio drama. I want to listen on it.
It comes along with the Kaori and Stiyl image songs album. Can't remember which ToaruIndex Archives number was it.

Unfortunately I also have forgotten where I got it...

And, no, I also don't know how relevant the audio dramas to the Raildex universe.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

Old 2010-04-22, 06:00   Link #1332
noobita

Just curious.

What is the basic skills that every Esper ought to do or learn?

For example, can Misaka bend the spoon as well?
Old 2010-04-22, 07:20   Link #1333
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

I don't think so. A certain ability is measured using specific basic properties of psychic abilities.

EDIT: I've managed to retrieve a HQ copy of Saten's results in Railgun ep14 and it shows the following criteria for ability analysis: Precognition, Clairvoyance, Psychometry, Telepathy, and Psychokinesis. Note that each of the terms are an ability in itself, but in Academy City, it is merely a factor used for certain traits of an ability.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 26. Completed: 219. Plan to watch: 32.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2010-04-22 at 07:33.
Old 2010-04-22, 09:21   Link #1334
cubicjack
Kino fanboy

Quote:
So far, nope. I took a little time to listen to one of them:

<rest of the post omitted>
LOL. That doesn't sound canon at all, and it sounds like a Kanzaki version of the Yamisaka Ouma arc.

But anyway, I finished listening to the radio dramas (not the Archives ones) last night. I realized that they were written by Kamachi and the characters and abilities were mentioned in the official guide book. So I assume that they are canon.

Still can't find much about the audio dramas in the Archives, though. I checked the scans for the Railgun Archives 1, and the script for that was written by one of the script writers for the Railgun anime. That doesn't say much, though. I don't have the scans for the Index Archives, so maybe someone else can check that?

Gonna start listening to the Archives audio dramas today.
Old 2010-04-23, 04:51   Link #1335
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

...Kaori is 18 yrs old, even if her Imouto is only a year younger, that's still a pretty early start to be having a family
Old 2010-04-23, 19:58   Link #1336
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Spears-Kanzaki-Palin Syndrome.

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
Old 2010-04-23, 20:31   Link #1337
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...Kaori is 18 yrs old, even if her Imouto is only a year younger, that's still a pretty early start to be having a family
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Spears-Kanzaki-Palin Syndrome.
I wonder if it is the author's intent to make young characters appear older than really older characters that look younger... let's list stuff up...

- Kaori is 18. She looks at least 7~10 years older than what I think.
- Oriana is also 18. Same case with Kaori.
- Komoe-sensei is... ironically, the oldest adult (maybe) we have ever seen bar Britain's Queen Elizard. And fact notwithstanding, she appears way younger than the rest of the cast.
- Stiyl is 14. But his looks doesn't make him look true to that, probably some shotacon ladies in the Toaruverse will be happy because they can lie about their guilty pleasure if they get their hands on him thanks to the fact he looks mid-20ish or something.

Honestly, I'm getting a mindscrew with these.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Old 2010-04-23, 20:42   Link #1338
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

Quote:
I wonder if it is the author's intent to make young characters appear older than really older characters that look younger... let's list stuff up...

- Kaori is 18. She looks at least 7~10 years older than what I think.
- Oriana is also 18. Same case with Kaori.
- Komoe-sensei is... ironically, the oldest adult (maybe) we have ever seen bar Britain's Queen Elizard. And fact notwithstanding, she appears way younger than the rest of the cast.
- Stiyl is 14. But his looks doesn't make him look true to that, probably some shotacon ladies in the Toaruverse will be happy because they can lie about their guilty pleasure if they get their hands on him thanks to the fact he looks mid-20ish or something.

Honestly, I'm getting a mindscrew with these.

Really unbelievable. Now that she mentioned it, it does make sense. Also, when both father and son turn around to look at the petite Missy Shiina—

“…Well, I guess it’s not strange for this kind of thing to happen in this world? How about you, Touma?”

“Well, now that you mention is, our family’s the same as well, so I guess there’s no need to be surprised about it…right?”

“It’s already strange! Touma is surrounded by adults like ‘Komoe’ and ‘Shiina’ who’re so young it’s too unnatural!! What’s with this youthful sense in this world? Don’t tell me it’s a theme park where Peter Pan is the tour guide?”

Index tries hard to retort back, but her body can be considered rather small. In this context, the words of this cheerleader girl in front of him aren’t really convincing.
Old 2010-04-23, 21:55   Link #1339
ellifeedn
Thinker

I remember in class that the average lifespan of a normal person decades ago used to be in the 60's or possibly younger. Is it possible people mature faster in those cases? And as technology got better people live longer and stayed younger longer. I think that could explain at least one part of it.
Old 2010-04-24, 16:55   Link #1340
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I remember in class that the average lifespan of a normal person decades ago used to be in the 60's or possibly younger. Is it possible people mature faster in those cases? And as technology got better people live longer and stayed younger longer. I think that could explain at least one part of it.
In a social context, yes, that's true. Because of a lower life expectancy, people would be expected to raise a family at a younger age.

In a physiological context, no, that's not true. Puberty depends on various genetic and nutritional factors. You heredity plays a big part, of course, but your diet can make your body undergo puberty at a younger age if you eat a lot of fats and cholesterol. Hormones like estrogen and testosterone are fat-soluble, and they're similar in composition to cholesterols.
Since the world has taken a liking to fatty fast foods as of recent decades, the average age for puberty would be slightly lower.

I've seen people with Kaori's figure in my college. People with Oriana'a figure are hard to find in general, let alone at the age of 18. If I do see people as curvy as Oriana, they're usually in their early 20s, which isn't that far off anyway.

There are also some extremely short and flat-chested girls out there, though probably not as short as Komoe. She's supposed to be the token loli figure, so don't take it too seriously.

Stiyl's appearance isn't too surprising either. I've seen a lot of people pass age restrictions to buy cigarettes just because they're tall or because they have a good amount of facial hair.

Any age from the onset of puberty to the end (12 to early 20s) is a huge grey area. You have people who fully grow in the right places, and on the other extreme, you have people who don't grow at all.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, magic, science fiction, shounen