AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 98 56.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 26.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 11.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-06, 21:45   Link #161
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 29
Since this is my fave episode yet. Allow me to ramble. ^__^

Spoiler for Looong talk about THE episode 10:


On another note, it seems like Ranka fans other than myself started popping out after this episode. lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by coroloro View Post
I personally have no doubt in my mind that in the end, we'll see Ranka "winning out" over Sheryl. It just fits the 'vibe' I get from the show thus far and from my understanding of anime plots thus far. I'd bet money on it, if I had money to bet. :P

I think that Ranka's character is not necessarily any less than Sheryls, rather it is simply the fact that they are two VERY different characters at very different stages in their lives. Sheryl is, in her life now, where Ranka -could- be eventually... yet in other says, Sheryl is less mature than Ranka. Right now we see Sheryl being fleshed out a lot- because the character did indeed seem rather shallow. But we are seeing seeds planted for the future development of Ranka as well. It is pretty clear to me that Ranka is the "lead female" here- she will be the key to everything that unfolds from here on out, and in the end I have a feeling some special power or unique past/background will develop with things only she can do. Likely it will be up to Alto to rescue her and bond with her in some unique way, and Sheryl will have to let him go.

Or have you guys not seen enough Animes with that exact same kind of plot with similar types of characters to get the same 'feeling' I have on this one? :P I felt from the first episode, and the second, and then on that it was clear Ranka was being set up as the one who would win Alto. If they do anything else, it will be a very sharp break from previous plot trends in most anime and quite a surprise- I welcome it if so, nice to get something 'different'... though I do kind of like Ranka over Sheryl.

PS- I think anyone who has seen some of the original Macross series (I didn't see it all- couldn't STAND the old style American dub... ick), but what I saw of it leads me to see a very clear parallel between Ranka's journey from normality to fame with the journey of the lead female in the original. It is, of course, a far deeper and more realistic journey- and I don't know if Ranka will make some of the same poor choices the lead in the original did, or if perhaps Sheryl embodies a bit more of someone who made those choices.
You beat me. I was going to state the same thing about this Kawamori business


Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Once again I think the Shouji Kawamori factor will come into play here, it would be utterly disappointing if he ends this in a conventional way. Personally I think people should ignore trends for shows like this, especially ones based on VN novels.. focus on who is more right for Alto because more than likely that will be the person who ends up winning, not the girl who fits the usual winners archetype more than the other.
Gee Westlo, this paragraph reminded me of myself when I was arguing about a non-conventional Noe ending.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich
We're far from it, yes, but at the same time all this shipping reminds me of it due to the way people are saying that Ranka will win because she's the underdog, just as people say Sheryl will 'win' as she's the Misa-type, older and more mature.

I hates it. We hates it like we hates Naruto. We hates it with a passion.
Sorry Haesslich. I wish I can sympathize, but the smooth mech-battle scenes aren't enough to keep my interest in this show, it has to have a conflicting romance.
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 22:04   Link #162
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Regardless of how you feel about True Tears, Noe would have been the conventional ending if according to cliches.

She first in the credit list. Prime focus in the OP and ED. Plus she has this distinctive mental quirk that would make her perfect billing for a Key-game heroine (read: Air, Canon, Clannad)

as for Macross F

I see Ranka as someone is becoming more like Sheryl (an idol) and I a see Sheryl as someone who becoming more like Ranka (trying to be normal girl)

previous episodes hinted that Sheryl :GASP: might not had the chance to attended high school.
and the next episode preview confirms that Ranka's new status is driving a gap between her and her friends

PS: Is True Tears a Macross F meme now?

I see this popping up everywhere
Spoiler:
Key Board is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 22:21   Link #163
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Sorry Haesslich. I wish I can sympathize, but the smooth mech-battle scenes aren't enough to keep my interest in this show, it has to have a conflicting romance.
Character romances are fine - they're part of Macross. It's the FAN-based stuff I can't stand - the people who argue that Ranka and Alto WILL get together because of 'X' and that anyone who can't see that is a moron, or people who argue that "Sheryl and Alto have to get together because of 'Y'" drive me maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. That is what 'shipping' is - people who argue for or against a relationship, then take personal offense if someone disagrees with them, then turn forums into flame-wars because the other person is obviously a moron if they think pairing Z won't happen.


Key Board: Well... Nanase may be her 'number one fan', but between her work and her sudden fame, people at school will be at least a BIT resentful (she's already in the biz, and succeeding and has connections with Sheryl and the Sakuralto-Hime)... and I don't see Nanase understanding Ranka's situation too well either.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 22:21   Link #164
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
They should just rename the series "The Ranka Show".

Best episode since episode five, even with the reappearance of a certain Darned object. The only part that I didn't particular like was the end of the episode with Ranka's apparent "accesion" to stardom. It was very pretentious, though the next episode's preview gives me some hope that she'll give up on being a celebrity before she gets in too deep. Being Mayan Girl A suits her best I think.

A few comments.

I think Alto's at his best when his Kabuki past comes back to haunt him. I enjoyed the use of it in this episode, as it was presented as both a foilable and a strength of his. I especially liked the bit where he said to just empty your head and not think about what you're doing.

I also can't recall a moment where he was outraged about nothing in particular. I really hope he maintains this episode's temperment for the rest of the series, because he hasn't been particularly likeable as of late.

I'm going to give Sheryl the benefit of the doubt and believe she was geninue for the first time in the whole series for all of three seconds after that kiss. Still doesn't excuse the fact she stole Alto's first kiss for herself, even if it was a bit more than she expected. Serves her right for underestimating what it really means to be a person.

Something tells me I would have hated Macross Zero. For one thing, I loathe the "noble savage(s)" archtype. Worldly portrayals of people stuck on a five by five kilometer island generation after generation breaks my suspension of disbelief faster than transformable aircraft carriers. Blah to oral traditions, hurray for complex writing systems!

And it looks like that which is Darned has escaped Fold Space. I knew it was too good to be true. Also, what was up with the Androgynous MIB? If you hit him with a shovel, would sparks fly out of him or what? A bit too GITS if you ask me.

Speaking of Bresra, the guy cooly cuts a Hydra in half after nearly having his arm ripped off, but in the last episode he was sadistic with glee as he tussled with Klan. What kind of personality does this guy actually have?
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 22:38   Link #165
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Character romances are fine - they're part of Macross. It's the FAN-based stuff I can't stand - the people who argue that Ranka and Alto WILL get together because of 'X' and that anyone who can't see that is a moron, or people who argue that "Sheryl and Alto have to get together because of 'Y'" drive me maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. That is what 'shipping' is - people who argue for or against a relationship, then take personal offense if someone disagrees with them, then turn forums into flame-wars because the other person is obviously a moron if they think pairing Z won't happen.
I don't think people really take it personally. It's fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84
It was very pretentious, though the next episode's preview gives me some hope that she'll give up on being a celebrity before she gets in too deep. Being Mayan Girl A suits her best I think.
I think so too. Right now, I think between fame and Alto, she'll choose Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84
Speaking of Bresra, the guy cooly cuts a Hydra in half after nearly having his arm ripped off, but in the last episode he was sadistic with glee as he tussled with Klan. What kind of personality does this guy actually have?
That's because the Hydra messed with his sister. Nobody messes with oniichan like that.

Anyway, I noticed how Brera didn't even feel a thing when the creature ate his flesh. That's probably how bad his injuries were from that Vajra attack, he had to end up as a cyborg.

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-06-06 at 23:23.
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 22:46   Link #166
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I don't think people really take it personally. It's fiction
I swear, some of the posts about how things 'will end up with Alto x <name here>' make me want to break out flamer and cyclonic torpedo. May the God-Empress preserve my sanity to continue in her service, but they drive me NUTS. Especially when they sound dead-serious about how 'it will happen because it happened in a past Macross series' (ignoring Kawamori's statements about how no story will end exactly the same way as a previous one), or 'it's like this because in visual novels and happened in <anime whatever>' (making me want to shout "THIS IS MACROSS!' as I shove people into a deep, dark Internet-deprived pit)'....

Or worst of all, all of the "Alto and 'X' is inevitable because they look so GOOD together" posts, or the "Ranka and Brera" or whatever. They make Haesslich go something-something.

Seriously, it's people like that which make me root for all the silly pairings, just to piss them off. Or hope that the romance ends with Alto and nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d
That's because the Hydra messed with his sister. Nobody messes with oniichan like that.
Shouldn't that be 'imoutu-chan' if she's his little sister, or 'onee-chan' if she's his big sister? "Onii-chan" is what Stripey the siscon-loving tanuki wants to hear a girl call him... aka 'big bro'.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 22:56   Link #167
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post

I think so too. Right now, I think between fame and Alto, she'll choose Alto.
I for one thought it was endearing how embarrassed she was to see herself on the big screen. But she's also clearly a natural actor who takes roles seriously; it's a nice to see that complexity in her personality.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 22:56   Link #168
Joachim
et tu, brute?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth WA
Age: 28
damn good episode...

but man.. what actually is Mao nome connection with this story? is she related to ranka or sheryl? from the subs i think she was related to ranka.. but then again sheryl is the one who use nome in her name..

oh wait someone who read sherly's diary said that she was once inspired by a singer.. so could that be mao?(i know it wont be possible) or someone from nome family and out of admiration she used nome as her back name.. therefore sheryl "nome"

just random mushing lol

anyway..despite someone saying the kiss scene between ranka x alto was good.. but i thought it was just.. well nothing compared to the sudden kiss of sherly x alto

we saw the reaction of both sheryl and alto after the kiss (and boy it was sweet) but ranka x alto? it suddenly goes back to the cinema without no after reaction from both party.. soo yea

the triangle is getting more and more intense, but i will stand firm on this sheryl x alto side.. with westlo in my side i wont lose! LOL (anyway westlo all of my pairing from kimikiss to true tears also won despite the later was quite a rollercoaster ride, so OORAH big boy)
well jokes aside

nice epsiode
Joachim is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:00   Link #169
Joachim
et tu, brute?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth WA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I swear, some of the posts about how things 'will end up with Alto x <name here>' make me want to break out flamer and cyclonic torpedo. May the God-Empress preserve my sanity to continue in her service, but they drive me NUTS. Especially when they sound dead-serious about how 'it will happen because it happened in a past Macross series' (ignoring Kawamori's statements about how no story will end exactly the same way as a previous one), or 'it's like this because in visual novels and happened in <anime whatever>' (making me want to shout "THIS IS MACROSS!' as I shove people into a deep, dark Internet-deprived pit)'....

Or worst of all, all of the "Alto and 'X' is inevitable because they look so GOOD together" posts, or the "Ranka and Brera" or whatever. They make Haesslich go something-something.

Seriously, it's people like that which make me root for all the silly pairings, just to piss them off. Or hope that the romance ends with Alto and nobody.
i just can't agree more with you,but my friend, pairing war is always like this and it will stay like this, THIS IS PAIRING WAR *kicks someone ass to the dark deep abyss of raging fanboys shippers, oh wait i'm inside that pit too *jumps down
Joachim is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:04   Link #170
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich
Shouldn't that be 'imoutu-chan' if she's his little sister, or 'onee-chan' if she's his big sister? "Onii-chan" is what Stripey the siscon-loving tanuki wants to hear a girl call him... aka 'big bro'.
I do mean Brera=Onii-chan. You mess with his sis, you mess with him. I still haven't burnt my BreraxRanka flag, btw Though, I think a Nice Boat ending will probably be the answer to your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
I for one thought it was endearing how embarrassed she was to see herself on the big screen. But she's also clearly a natural actor who takes roles seriously; it's a nice to see that complexity in her personality.
I think the fact that they actually showed her embarrassed face upon seeing herself has a touch reality in it, and people will more likely relate to it. I did. Besides, there's no doubt Ranka is a great actress. Looking at how agile she was when playing Mao. She's like a Stuntman + Actress + soundtrack singer all in one package. I'm just having bad vibes about her singing career because of her voice, plus, I think it would be more realistic if she realizes in the end that she doesn't need to be heard by everyone as long there's someone who can listen to her--in this case, her loved ones.
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:23   Link #171
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I guess it was too much to ask for him to be her father instead of her "Onii-chan".
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:28   Link #172
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I think the fact that they actually showed her embarrassed face upon seeing herself has a touch reality in it, and people will more likely relate to it. I did. Besides, there's no doubt Ranka is a great actress. Looking at how agile she was when playing Mao. She's like a Stuntman + Actress + soundtrack singer all in one package. I'm just having bad vibes about her singing career because of her voice, plus, I think it would be more realistic if she realizes in the end that she doesn't need to be heard by everyone as long there's someone who can listen to her--in this case, her loved ones.
Well, although I definitely related to it, I assume most people with Ranka's acting talent wouldn't be shy at all--they'd be more like Sheryl. Although that's just an assumption on my part; I don't know any famous actors personally.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:38   Link #173
glyph
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I guess it was too much to ask for him to be her father instead of her "Onii-chan".
Given that he's described as a 'mysterious youth' and the song Aimo which they both know appears to be a lullaby, yeah.
glyph is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:51   Link #174
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Given that he's described as a 'mysterious youth' and the song Aimo which they both know appears to be a lullaby, yeah.
Those aren't nearly as definiative as a projected flashback on a current set of circumstances.

And I just thought it would have been a nice spin to use the apparent slow aging of Zentradi characters to put one over on the audience, but no, we had to have a big brother character just so we could use the iconic "onii-chan" line.

I mean, fishing a young boy of mixed Zentradi heritage out of a spacewreck isn't nearly as plausiable as a grown pure blooded adult male.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:55   Link #175
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by coroloro View Post
Or have you guys not seen enough Animes with that exact same kind of plot with similar types of characters to get the same 'feeling' I have on this one? :P I felt from the first episode, and the second, and then on that it was clear Ranka was being set up as the one who would win Alto. If they do anything else, it will be a very sharp break from previous plot trends in most anime and quite a surprise- I welcome it if so, nice to get something 'different'... though I do kind of like Ranka over Sheryl.
That really doesn't say much when you can make possible comparisons with other plot structures from other anime. lone_wolf's comment after yours comes to mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
But anyhow...I keep getting this KOR (Kimagure Orange Road) vibe with Sheryl as Madoka being the "good friend" and pushing and supporting Alto and Ranka when all this time she's been secretly pining her him as well. And for those who are familiar with KOR would know who won out in the end...
So indeed, who knows? The love triangle in Macross Frontier can easily diverge into the usual "girl subtly nudges her friends to get together, only to fall in love with the guy herself, and then it becomes too late, and then..?" plot line. KOR, KGNE, Kimikiss... and probably a few more.

Like I said, it's quite difficult to predict at this point, and this is what also constitutes the so-called Kawamori factor for me. And while I don't think it's that simple to compare differing stories just like that, based on what I've seen so far (even though I hate to admit it) it's likely that Ranka's cute character design will enable her to win Alto's affections in the end and not really the actual circumstance per se, since the story will likely flesh out both female leads anyway. Putting it in another way: Given that both sides are equal, the underlying spirit of the times will ultimately decide on what's "right" in this case. With "cuteness" and "moe" in Ranka's side (at least the usual kind), she already has a big advantage over Sheryl.

....Dammit. A bit long. I need to start commenting about the robots and the dogfights more.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-06-07 at 00:06.
kujoe is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 23:56   Link #176
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I think one thing that needs to be pointed out is that while the romance elements play an integral part in the story, MF is not exclusively a love story. So where a love triangle may traditionally be used to set up a gladiator sport to see which girl claims the trophy male lead, here it seems to exist primarily to place strain on Ranka's relationship with Sheryl. If episode seven is correct in implying that cooperation between the girls are necessary in the war with the Vajra, then I suspect that the success of everyone depends on how Ranka and Sheryl resolve things between each other. In the intro, Alto's VF is powered by two girls, not just one, after all.

I'm guessing that the recent frenzy of shipping comes from the uncertainty that this episode has brought with it. When you're worried about your favourite character, you need to find something that will convince yourself that things will work out alright; else how could you sleep at night? Confidence can easily be a mask for fear.

Despite reading spoilers and honing my predictive powers on large quantities of romance anime, I still failed utterly at predicting anything in this episode, let alone trying to guess what's going to happen ten episodes from now. So excuse me while I go fret in the corner for the next few months. Why couldn't I just have fallen for Klein's character instead?

I think that this episode really opened up a lot more depth to Ranka's character. Up until now, she was rather dependant on everyone around her. But there was a real fierceness and strength about her demeanor when she finally developed the conviction to play Mao. It couldn't have come at a better time, either, at the start of her journey up the steps to stardom. I'm positive that she'll be able to move mountains when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I do suspect, given Sheryl's rather formidable self-restraint, that this kiss was indeed deliberate... either to tease Alto, or to goad Ranka on with her role, since the latter admitted she wasn't sure how Mao felt, after Alto's advice on how to play the role. Teasing Alto may have been a side effect, or the way it goaded Ranka on was, but it seemed almost as deliberate as the talisman-drop-into-the-cleavage, or the 'oh, my lost earring' acts.

Now, the BLUSH on the other hand, may not be feigned. Whether she's embarassed by it, whether it's possibly her first kiss as well, or whether she just isn't as good an actress as she feels she is... that felt more real than the kiss did. Mind you, it had a pretty positive effect on Ranka, by crystalizing the disquieting feelings into something that let her take action later on, in her big scene.
I do suspect that the kiss was indeed deliberate as well. You can clearly see her press her lips against his on her own volition.

Jokes aside, though, I can see why you'd find something strange about that kiss. I did as well.

On a rewatch, I think that it's safe to say that the kiss wasn't directed towards Ranka. For one, Sheryl didn't hear about Ranka's fears about playing the role of Mao (which Ranka communicates to Bobby while Sheryl is off talking to Alto). Ranka's subsequent resolve to play the role strikes me as more of a fortuitous side effect.

The origin of Sheryl's actions comes much earlier, well before Ranka was even cast in the role of Mao. When Alto first learned that his scene involved a kiss, he was clearly distraught. While Sheryl quickly caught on and teased him about it, she also looked worried about him as he stormed off. Also, when Alto voices his worry about Ranka being able to do the role, Sheryl's response to him is: "You say that, but how about yourself?" Based on this, I'd say that the reason that Sheryl went to talk to Alto was to help him come to terms with his role, in much the same way that Bobby tried to help Ranka to come to terms with hers.

Matters are complicated, of course, by Sheryl's feelings for Alto, which is what leads her to impulsively kiss him. Remember that for all her "restraint", Sheryl still is the same girl who enthusiastically leapt off the roof of the school, a scant two episodes ago. When Sheryl's initial joy subsides, she sees the shock on Alto's face and hears the emotion in his voice. She only then realizes that she's just laid her emotions bare and that she has set herself up for a freefall. At that point, her defenses kick in and she covers up by pretending that it was just an act.

The thing that I'm really enjoying about watching this relationship grow is that we're spared much of the usual "he loves me, he loves me not" angst that seems to invariably accompany the early phases of many relationships presented in anime. Nor does it fall to the other extreme, where the character in question is so comfortable with themselves that there isn't any conflict at all. It's clear that Sheryl has her own share of difficulties: she's afraid about letting her vulnerabilities show, and is fairly awkward in letting Alto get close to her (in much the same way he is with her). But despite all that, she still manages to approach their relationship with an earnestness that is nothing short of dignified.
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2008-06-07, 00:11   Link #177
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Matters are complicated, of course, by Sheryl's feelings for Alto, which is what leads her to impulsively kiss him.
I think it was her being her usual whimiscal self. Stealing his first kiss was probably an appealing thought to her, since it brought with it a new degree of leverage she could hold over him. It backfired on her though, because it'd never occured to her that kissing might actual be an intimate and personal thing that's not just done in movies.

Quote:
Remember that for all her "restraint", Sheryl still is the same girl who enthusiastically leapt off the roof of the school, a scant two episodes ago.
Let's pretend that never happened. Afterall, Alto has been overreacting to everything for the past three episodes, while in this one he seems to have returned to his more restrained and thoughtful self of episodes past (1-5 mostly). When a character is out of character, just call it like it is.

Quote:
When Sheryl's initial joy subsides, she sees the shock on Alto's face and hears the emotion in his voice. She only then realizes that she's just laid her emotions bare and that she has set herself up for a freefall. At that point, her defenses kick in and she covers up by pretending that it was just an act.
I think she didn't expect for it to mean anything in particular to her. It was simple mischief on her part, another way of teasing/controlling him, but lo and behold and to Sheryl's surprise, she's actual capable of feeling something.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-06-07, 00:20   Link #178
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
I do suspect that the kiss was indeed deliberate as well. You can clearly see her press her lips against his on her own volition.

Jokes aside, though, I can see why you'd find something strange about that kiss. I did as well.

On a rewatch, I think that it's safe to say that the kiss wasn't directed towards Ranka. For one, Sheryl didn't hear about Ranka's fears about playing the role of Mao (which Ranka communicates to Bobby while Sheryl is off talking to Alto). Ranka's subsequent resolve to play the role strikes me as more of a fortuitous side effect.

The origin of Sheryl's actions comes much earlier, well before Ranka was even cast in the role of Mao. When Alto first learned that his scene involved a kiss, he was clearly distraught. While Sheryl quickly caught on and teased him about it, she also looked worried about him as he stormed off. Also, when Alto voices his worry about Ranka being able to do the role, Sheryl's response to him is: "You say that, but how about yourself?" Based on this, I'd say that the reason that Sheryl went to talk to Alto was to help him come to terms with his role, in much the same way that Bobby tried to help Ranka to come to terms with hers.

Matters are complicated, of course, by Sheryl's feelings for Alto, which is what leads her to impulsively kiss him. Remember that for all her "restraint", Sheryl still is the same girl who enthusiastically leapt off the roof of the school, a scant two episodes ago. When Sheryl's initial joy subsides, she sees the shock on Alto's face and hears the emotion in his voice. She only then realizes that she's just laid her emotions bare and that she has set herself up for a freefall. At that point, her defenses kick in and she covers up by pretending that it was just an act.

The thing that I'm really enjoying about watching this relationship grow is that we're spared much of the usual "he loves me, he loves me not" angst that seems to invariably accompany the early phases of many relationships presented in anime. Nor does it fall to the other extreme, where the character in question is so comfortable with themselves that there isn't any conflict at all. It's clear that Sheryl has her own share of difficulties: she's afraid about letting her vulnerabilities show, and is fairly awkward in letting Alto get close to her (in much the same way he is with her). But despite all that, she still manages to approach their relationship with an earnestness that is nothing short of dignified.
There's LESS, not no, angst relationship-wise... but then again, Alto isn't looking either; Episode 1 made that clear, as has his rather (meatheaded) responses to both girls. The kiss flustered him a great deal since he doesn't really seem to think that way about women... or about himself, for that matter. He's certainly not the hormone-addled schoolboy of harem anime, nor is he completely obvious to women. He's just oblivious regarding feelings women may have FOR him, outside of admiration for his beauty or for landing 'Sakura-hime' as a boyfriend... both of which he shows great disdain for. Again, refer back to his response when Ranka's first impression of him was 'beautiful woman', and he had to bite back on his initial reaction.

Sheryl can be impulsive, but for the most part tries to control herself to counter that hot-headed response... or tries. Sometimes, like during the panties incident, she fails... which is probably part of why Grace was muttering that it couldn't be helped, when she saw the ruckus. When it comes to her emotions, she tries to rein herself in... but doesn't always succeed. She can be somewhat outspoken, which she covers with the tsun-tsun attitude, in response to the possible embarassment.

The problem for Sheryl, I suspect, is she has very few close relationships; she grew up an orphan, which cuts out family ties. She knows Grace in a business relationship which has persisted for some years, and Grace seems to act a bit as an oneesama for Sheryl, but for the most part is a self-made woman, and one who hasn't really had a chance to develop any real friendships or relationships with people, to judge by how she's been with both Alto and Ranka - it's almost like she's discovered close friendships for the first time, rather than ones which are either impersonal or professional. Combined with her impulsiveness, this can be... a problem for her, given that it leads to incidents which could be less than profesionally successful (the date, which could've been a PR disaster towards the end, and this). I still say she was in control of herself much of the time, having led Alto off to try to calm him down... only to lose herself for a moment and steal his first kiss, which definitely had an effect on Ranka.

Ranka has the opposite problem - she has HAD close relationships, which got lost in the destruction of the 117th fleet. That was traumatic enough to cause her to blank it all out... enough so that even now, when she sees someone trying to protect her being threatened, she blanks out that incident somewhat (explaining why she thought Alto was her protector this time).

Spoiler:


Still, it did do her some good - now she's starting to do things because she's wanting to, not because Alto inspired her to do so, or made her feel comfortable doing so. It's a start to her career, and hopefully we'll see more development in her as a character as she starts to move beyond the self-repression that she engages in as a matter of habit. She's not at all impulsive by nature, and in some ways seems to be a mirror-image of Sheryl; maybe that's why the two girls have connected - they see their reverse in the other. Sheryl wants to encourage Ranka to leave her shell; Ranka just knows Sheryl's... special, and understands what Ranka's feeling, and in turn she reacts to that (see the concert in Episode 7).

Still, I can see where you're coming from - the way Sheryl phrased it, she was both teasing Alto (he was reacting somewhat abnormally to the idea of kissing Ranka, given that he himself is an actor who was groomed pretty much from birth) as well as trying to prove a point to him.. or at least deflate his defensiveness, given his tsun-tsun 'it's just a kiss' comment. Which got followed up on. Way to go, big-mouth Saotome. Mikhail probably wishes he had your luck.

Last edited by Haesslich; 2008-06-07 at 00:32.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-06-07, 00:36   Link #179
Kollunz
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I loved the macross zero references, brought back so much nostalgic memories T_T. Absolute win.
Kollunz is offline  
Old 2008-06-07, 00:51   Link #180
arkxkra
全力全開
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Non-management 97th world
Spoiler for :
__________________
arkxkra is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.