AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-18, 19:18   Link #1
ginko51

So I've been away for a while...

I've been away from the anime scene for quite a while. Is there anything new out there good?

Last edited by ginko51; 2012-05-03 at 17:48.
Old 2008-06-18, 19:29   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Nijuu-Mensou no Musume might be something you'd like. Chiko has a bit of the Kino aura; admittedly less stoic and worldly-wise, but she's still learning. (the atmosphere is rather similar to The Big O, but more character focused)
Old 2008-06-18, 19:34   Link #3
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Yeah, you should check out Nijuu Mensou no Musume, it's currently airing, and it has yet to disappoint.

You could also try Shigofumi, it's likened to Kino's Journey often, though with less irony.
Old 2008-06-18, 20:19   Link #4
Autumn Demon
~

ookami to koushinryou (spice and wolf), definitely.
Old 2008-06-18, 21:28   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

"Really original stuff" is always hard to find but here are a couple recent options:

Ghost Hound - Shirow/I.G show about psychology, brain science, and mysticism. Beautifully animated with a remarkable sound track.

Baccano! - An action comedy that mixes 30's American gangsters with alchemy. An enormous cast and a story that jumps around temporally. The first episode is unlike the remainder, so watch a few before deciding.

Shion no Ou - On the surface a tribute (rip-off?) of Hikaru no Go but the mystery thriller plot and the powerful young heroine make this show very compelling. I like Nijuu Mensou no Musume as well, but to me Shion is the more powerful show.

Moyashimon - A science-fiction comedy about a young man who can see microbes with some of the cutest bacteria you'll ever see. There's also a birds-and-bees story concerning the humans in a campus hijinks setting.

Kure-nai - A remarkably moving cross-genre show that combines slice-of-life, harem and action elements with a mature and disturbing plot. The seven-year-old heroine Murasaki is one of the best child characters I've seen in an anime.
Old 2008-06-19, 17:34   Link #6
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Kaiba, if you can appreciate the psychedelic visual style.
Old 2008-06-19, 17:42   Link #7
maymay
Inactive~

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post

You could also try Shigofumi, it's likened to Kino's Journey often, though with less irony.
Seconded
You might also want to try Monoke. It has a similar storyline to Mushishi and has a pretty unique art style.
Old 2008-06-20, 15:24   Link #8
Niji

Any thread like this makes me find more jewels, woot woot (another mushishi, kino admirer)

Tortov Roddle is short, but very sweet.

Oddly enough I would also add Samurai Champloo if you have not seen it yet. It is also a "road movie", more on the fun side, but not without depth.

And finally, one of my favorites: Nitaboh. Very beautiful anime, just one OVA. If you like traditional music, it is a must watch.
Closed Thread