AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-13, 03:47   Link #2261
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
hahaha, no need to say ur support on Grace, ur avatar has shown everything
Old 2008-09-13, 03:49   Link #2262
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Of course! Evil and attractive females together are sexy. Which is why women secretly rule the world. They are too evil for us mere men to comprehend.
Old 2008-09-13, 03:55   Link #2263
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, characters like Sheryl are few and far in between, all the while funds are spent upon moe media. A shame, really. In fact, we are recently blessed with Strike Witches, a show so bloody moe, it makes me slightly embarrassed to watch.

- Tak
which makes me wonders: What the f**k are they seeing in those kind of moe-shit charas.......

i mean, it's fine if u want to draw a chara to be cute and all, but if they don't get beyond that, that's it, nothing more than cute and moe and whatever u call it, they start to annoy me..............

and fanservice girls like Kallen also is getting in my nerves......

K, enough 'bout that, yeah, i knew everyone has their right to like anykind of chara, but still............................
Old 2008-09-13, 08:39   Link #2264
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
And for the record I find Grace to be a significant antagonist female character role in modern anime as well.
That is true, Macross F boasts two unique female characters. One we mentioned, the other being Grace. She is something. Very creepy individual indeed.

On the other hand, watching Grace and Sheryl also reminded me of a certain Shizuru from Mai Hime/Otome. She was certainly my favorite female character before meeting the awe that is Sheryl.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-09-13, 09:50   Link #2265
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Certainly, Japanese media do not sport too many strong female leads. Most of the females in manga and anime are far beneath Fraulein Nome in terms of personality. I can point out just a few women possessing real strength and unique traits, distinguishing them from the cliche characters: Caska from Berserk, Integra Hellsing from, what else, Hellsing and most of the female cast of Black Lagoon, with Balalaika taking the spotlight. Of course, these are different women, with different personalities and traits. Each of them however belongs to the exclusive club of female protagonists, which shall undoubtedly welcome Sheryl Nome as its rightful member.
Old 2008-09-13, 09:58   Link #2266
indr0008
Physicist

erza from fairy tail, theresa and claire from claymore...are they included ?

sorry for the off topic
Old 2008-09-13, 11:34   Link #2267
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr0008 View Post
erza from fairy tail, theresa and claire from claymore...are they included ?

sorry for the off topic
Oh, I love Claymore and its assortment of characters. Moreover, its not doujin bait. Regardless, before I saw Sheryl, Shizuru from Mai Hime/Otome would have been #1 on my rank of best female characters.

It would seem that there are several major types of female characters that dominate Japanese fiction. Such as the perfect female, the fanservice gal or the strong-willed tomboy, which can be mistaken for men sometimes (although I prefer the latter, mostly)... etc. But then there are ones who combine feminine grace and willpower, such as Sheryl & Shizuru. Unfortunately, those are rare and far in between.

Speaking of which, Paul, you are starting to remind me of those token Germans in bad American WWII films

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2008-09-13 at 12:04.
Old 2008-09-13, 12:29   Link #2268
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
I don't know if you realized this but a lot of people are drawn towards tragic characters. Sheryl without all that suffering would be crappy. Perfect characters are extremely boring and I don't think Sheryl would be as popular if it wasn't for the suffering, which in turn is part of her character development. Besides, he's not gonna drag her down like this without some nice resolution at the end.

Ranka doesn't need anymore punishment either. She's already written in such a way that she gets hated on by fans while Sheryl gets all the praise *kicks you*
I didn't need to see Sheryl suffer, to fall in love with her character. I've been in her camp since deculture. She could have gone the entire episode without anything bad happening to her in terms of plot, and I'd have still loved her more than any other character in the series.

The way she has handled everything though, has put her at the top of all characters I've ever watched, however.
Old 2008-09-13, 12:59   Link #2269
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Quote:
Speaking of which, Paul, you are starting to remind me of those token Germans in bad American WWII films
Bah! Those were paltry imitations of real bad Germans. Take that "Battle of the Bulge" movie, for instance - what a travesty! That Hessler fellow is nothing but an amateur compared to the real Joachim Peiper.

And Justin, I have very similar opinions. Die Konigin is wonderful with or without the terrible circumstances of unjust fates.
Old 2008-09-13, 13:17   Link #2270
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hausser View Post
Bah! Those were paltry imitations of real bad Germans. Take that "Battle of the Bulge" movie, for instance - what a travesty! That Hessler fellow is nothing but an amateur compared to the real Joachim Peiper.

And Justin, I have very similar opinions. Die Konigin is wonderful with or without the terrible circumstances of unjust fates.
I liked the Germans in Hogan's Heroes. "I know nothin'! Nothin'!"
Old 2008-09-13, 14:21   Link #2271
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Battle of the Bulge was an atrocity. King Tiger tanks being substituted M47 Patton tanks, and given wrong camouflage. Same can be said about the American tanks in the movie, which were not Sherman tanks at all. Not to mention this film being produced in the 60s, how its crew believed they can fool the surviving veterans is beyond me. I mean, it certainly failed to convince me.

A good WWII film is A Bridge Too Far, which provides an accurate, political-free portrayal of the conflict involving Operation Market Garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I didn't need to see Sheryl suffer, to fall in love with her character. I've been in her camp since deculture. She could have gone the entire episode without anything bad happening to her in terms of plot, and I'd have still loved her more than any other character in the series.

The way she has handled everything though, has put her at the top of all characters I've ever watched, however.
Exactly, many of us admirers fell in love with Sheryl's character long before she was in her current state.

- Tak (Did I mention a certain Kurt Knispel? He looks like a cool fella, reminds me of Roy Focker in more ways than one)

Last edited by Tak; 2008-09-13 at 14:36.
Old 2008-09-13, 14:56   Link #2272
hai_san

Just wait till the end of the serie, i am sure one side of the shippers will go crazy, since i am sure the "loser" side will wont be pleased at all... then we will know who is "fanatical"...
Old 2008-09-13, 14:58   Link #2273
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Just wait till the end of the serie, i am sure one side of the shippers will go crazy, since i am sure the "loser" side will wont be pleased at all... then we will know who is "fanatical"...
What if both are turned down and both fanbases exploded into fanatical rages? How do we judge then?
Old 2008-09-13, 15:43   Link #2274
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Quote:
(Did I mention a certain Kurt Knispel? He looks like a cool fella, reminds me of Roy Focker in more ways than one)
Read up on Hans-Joachim Marseille, if you haven't already. If not for his untimely death, he would outshine even "Bubi" Hartmann. You'll have your Roy Focker in no time.
Old 2008-09-13, 15:51   Link #2275
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Read up on Hans-Joachim Marseille, if you haven't already. If not for his untimely death, he would outshine even "Bubi" Hartmann. You'll have your Roy Focker in no time.
I thought we were talking about Panzer aces Besides, Hans-Joachim is a bit too clean to be a proper Roy Focker

- Tak

Old 2008-09-13, 15:55   Link #2276
wolfboy
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post

Oh you mean you would still like her if her character was a generic tsundere? Cause that's what Sheryl was before she got one-upped in the songstress department.
Old 2008-09-13, 16:01   Link #2277
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Oh you mean you would still like her if her character was a generic tsundere? Cause that's what Sheryl was before she got one-upped in the songstress department.
Unfortunately, I disagree. Sheryl was not a generic tsundere. In fact, for Sheryl's character, tsundere would be an incorrect application of the term. She was fun and dynamic, and she did not hate Alto. Her tendencies to push him away only occurred when she found out she was diseased, and that was due to the fact that she loves him.

- Tak

Old 2008-09-13, 16:11   Link #2278
wolfboy
:3

Dude...she was a tsundere. You don't need to hate someone to be tsundere, all you need is a polar personality.
Old 2008-09-13, 16:14   Link #2279
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

To classify Sheryl Nome as a simple tsundere character would be a disservice to the way she has been constructed. Strong willed? Yes. Ambitious? Without doubt. Aggressive? Using a spiked wall as part of the outward persona? Give me a break, or just face the fact, that Fraulein Nome is not subject to mere archetypes. After all, not every single male and female protagonist has to be a walking cliche.
Old 2008-09-13, 16:16   Link #2280
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Dude...she was a tsundere. You don't need to hate someone to be tsundere, all you need is a polar personality.
If you are classifying Sheryl as a cliche, then you obviously have not been observing her character as closely as you should. That is unfortunate.

- Tak

Closed Thread

Tags
romance