AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-24, 20:23   Link #481
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
If I were in middle school anime, I'd think she was hot too. If she looked about 4-6 years older, I'd agree with you now. However, she looks 12 to me, and at my age, I can't even.
Ranka is so cute she makes me want to pinch her!

Oh my goddess, what am I saying!

Must... resist... latent... lolita... complex...

MUST HAVE MORE SHERYL ACTION *shake fist*

- Tak (Or I could read doujins about Sheryl... Quick! Initiating thought shift! Thoughs on Eurocup, thoughts on Eurocup, thoughts on Eurocup... Eurocup. . . Eurocup. . . Ero. . . ARGHHHH!!!)
Old 2008-06-24, 20:24   Link #482
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

Quote:
If I were in middle school anime, I'd think she was hot too. If she looked about 4-6 years older, I'd agree with you now. However, she looks 12 to me, and at my age, I can't even.
Ranka has this innocent, youthful, and energetic kind of cuteness. However, thinking that she is "hot" maybe a bit too pedo.....
Old 2008-06-24, 20:35   Link #483
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Ranka is so cute she makes me want to pinch her!

Oh my goddess, what am I saying!

Must... resist... latent... lolita... complex...

MUST HAVE MORE SHERYL ACTION *shake fist*

- Tak (Or I could read doujins about Sheryl... Quick! Initiating thought shift! Thoughs on Eurocup, thoughts on Eurocup, thoughts on Eurocup... Eurocup. . . Eurocup. . . Ero. . . ARGHHHH!!!)
-Sigh- The things I have to do for members of the same club I'm in..

Spoiler for Sheryl fans only:
Old 2008-06-24, 20:38   Link #484
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Those are definitely big enough to give me hopes n' dreams.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 20:40   Link #485
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Those are definitely big enough to give me hopes n' dreams.

- Tak
Whew. Almost lost you there for a bit Tak.
Old 2008-06-24, 20:51   Link #486
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Just because Ranka is looking at Alto x Sheryl through the underdog perspective doesn't make the pairing any less credible. Like it or not, it doesn't change the fact that Alto x Sheryl are developing slowly, they moved from bitching to each other to a shaky then finally stable ground of friendship. It would be a different case if Alto x Sheryl were in some form of relationship or romantically involved or whatever... but they are not. They're nowhere close to the finish line at all, this is definitely a genuine pairing. Sheryl isn't just "spice" for the love triangle, this is a developing bond between two of the main characters that may hint to something more.

The underdog role doesn't always win out in the end. Excluding SDF:Macross TV series, Minmay was portrayed sweetly and beautifully in Macross: DYRL. This is a woman who Kawamori took from the TV series and molded her into a sweet, beautiful girl with big dreams and a big heart. She was definitely cast in the underdog role, having genuine feelings for Hikaru only to have Hayase Misa stealing Hikaru's heart away instead. The way her face softly lit up after she saw Hikaru coming to her, unknowing to the fact that her beloved chose another woman, was nothing short of heartbreaking. Even Westlo, as super-biased for Misa as he is, admitted to this. And this is coming ME, from a person who wanted to hang Minmei upside down in the TV series. Kawamori does not hesitate. Minmei was sympathetic all the way to the end. She still lost.

However, even though Minmei lost Hikaru, she was the one who saved the world. She may not have much hand in affecting Hikaru's character like Misa does, but Minmei IS part of the greater scheme of things. Being an underdog in a love triangle doesn't mean you lost out in the face of the big picture. Misa didn't have Minmei's grand role, but she did have Hikaru in the end. Both girls evened out.

This is why I hesitate to call Ranka the "winner" when normally, a girl in her position would've been declared the winner the moment they cast her in that underdog role. People are constantly picking up homages and even direct references to the original Macross that it's plausible to think the love triangle, even if their characters are different, may nod its head at the original one as well.
Old 2008-06-24, 20:58   Link #487
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
From the get go, it is implied that Sheryl doesn't need to be pushed in order to do something. Ranka on the other hand needs a bit of pushing on the side, because she's still unsure of herself, something which she does try to get around in the last few episodes. Everytime Ranka tries to take a few brave steps forward, Sheryl's there to completely knock her off her feet again. Rinse and repeat. Sheryl always had the upper hand, her character was already set up in a way that it makes sense that she does those things because she is a strong, independent young woman. Also, crushes do not work that way. If it was a mere crush you know, she would just give up chasing Alto for all its worth, she already has all the men she could ever ask for. Ranka going after Alto is probably a huge thank you on her part, cause we have no idea why the heck Ranka is chasing Alto for (in the first few eps). She wishes to ascertain her feelings for Alto, and she is slowly realizing bit by bit, day by day that she actually likes Alto, underneath her whole thank you bit (the whole thank you bit is still a major part why she wants to send Alto cookies and give him tickets to her concert). So if a mere girl sends a guy she likes enough as a friend and she has enough reasons to thank him for saving her life at that too, it must mean that she is instantly having a crush on him (one time only eh, for one time only). For all we know, she sends the cookies and tickets as a great thank you gift and birthday gift all in one, if it happens to be the guy's birthday. People who give us birthday presents, based on this logic, must mean that they have crushes on us. Random guys or girls who give us presents might probably admire us or are thanking us for something that we did for them, we do not automatically assume that they all have crushes on us too eh. And we all know that given Ranka's recent pursuit of Alto and knowing full well that she is unable to provide things that Alto needs at the moment, where Sheryl can and be willing to give to him, it is not simply a mere teenage crush. She is still trying to ascertain if her feelings were just a simple teenage crush, and it sucks because probably Ranka hasn't actually met a guy who inspired her to do a lot of things like what Alto did. Ozma we know didn't like Ranka in showbiz, Nanase was probably the only one who knew about Ranka's talent (or probably not, she might only know that Ranka idolizes Sheryl Nome), and knowing their commander's stand, Mikhail and Luca wouldn't probably do anything to encourage her to do her best, except just tell her to be just who she wants to be, no live demonstration of actually doing that for her to be inspired to do so. Alto in some way indirectly did inspire her, and she was very grateful for it, and he also saved her life a couple of times.

Also, immature Ranka? Was Ranka immature for not crying in the last episode when she gave Alto those cookies and he wasn't there to receive them? Also, her cookies were plane shaped, but then again she could've probably made them that way cause Alto works for the SMS, and she knows that they fly planes for a living. but even if she did now about that, giving him store bought cookies or cookies shaped in obvious normal "girl cookies she bakes for the person she likes that have no particular shape attuned to what the guy obviously likes" would not express as much thought into making the cookies turn out to be shaped like what the guy obviously stood for or what he aspires to be. Of course, this is not saying that people who give random shaped cookies or store bought cookies deserve a lot less attention for trying to give them happiness the only way that they know how. The thought that they bothered enough to do that is already touching in a lot of aspects. Ranka was anxious to please Alto or make him happy on his birthday, and she's not at fault for not being as well-off as Sheryl who could give him the entire universe if she so deems to, so that he can have a real sky to fly in. If Ranka were to be able to give Alto a real sky to fly in and Sheryl wouldn't, I bet you would probably say that Ranka is evil and Sheryl should be sympathized with because she can't offer anything else. They're not at fault for not bringing something good to Alto, or good for bringing something to Alto, in a way that it conveniently deletes or completely debunks what the other character has been trying to do in the past episodes that she or he has been presented in so far.

Alto chose the sky that Sheryl gave to him not because he wants to be with Sheryl, if he chose Ranka, he probably wanted to keep his feet on the ground or something cause he may have his own reasons and not necessarily because he just wanted to see Ranka, or if he chooses what his father wants, then he'll be forced to deal with the past he's been running away from for so long. It's not supposed to be simply seen as "because Sheryl and Alto spends a lot of time together, it must mean that they have this serious thing going on already, Alto chooses the sky because of Sheryl how romantic, Ranka is indecisive and weak and useless and Sheryl's not so Sheryl's a better pairing for Alto, etc." It's also not meant to be "Alto sent Michel for Ranka cause he's worried, Ranka made those cookies and it's worth more effort than what Sheryl did, Alto inspires Ranka so it MUST mean that that he likes her, etc." It's meant to be taken as a whole, not being blind to what the other side has proof for, or has some credible evidence for, so LOL OPINIONS. ani_d and I probably credited Sheryl for being there for Ranka and pushing her to reach for dreams, and we do not mind a Sheryl end. But saying that Ranka isn't behind everything that Alto and Sheryl relationship is doing her character development an injustice as well. Everything that they do always leads to Ranka's thoughts or take on what is happening to the both of them. It would be best if their relationship were to be given the SOLE spotlight for once, I mean, what the heck would Sheryl and Alto's relationship do for Ranka, or why would she be involved in something that only involves 2 people? So yes, in some perverted, twisted way, the show is indeed more on about Ranka and her relationship with Alto. Somebody already stated that Alto's not for Sheryl or Ranka which is true, but this is Macross, we all know this is going to get ugly. Also, the shipping war for Macross Frontier has become very ridiculous wherein the relationship of the pair or intended pair is given more importance than what the anime was really all about AFTER the love triangle.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Old 2008-06-24, 21:08   Link #488
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

If that super mega long post(which could have been broken up more I think cause my eyes hurt reading it for some weird reason?) was directed at me, I've got a ton of stuff to respond with.

Sheryl acts strong. We know when she wants something, she actively goes after it. But we're also shown glimpses of her weaknesses too, mainly infront of Alto only. She's showing that outer strength, is partially just a shell and not her true inner-self. She shows a completely different side of Sheryl Nome infront of Alto, that no one else sees. Ranka doesn't seem to have another side yet. Maybe it's a confidence personality. One that still needs to be developed.

Bleh, I really want to write out a better post in response to yours, but I got a headache reading it, so I'll have to go back, and read it again more thoroughly later. For some reason the lay-out of the post just makes it hard for me to understand the way I usually do, so I can't respond properly until I re-read it after dinner/shower. Forgive me for this short post.
Old 2008-06-24, 21:10   Link #489
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Sorry, it's this habit I have. Comes from dedicating my work life to writing essays. Sorry for this. @.@;;

Old 2008-06-24, 21:14   Link #490
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Sorry, it's this habit I have. Comes from dedicating my work life to writing essays. Sorry for this. @.@;;
Thats ok, considering that I am already used to it.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 21:16   Link #491
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Quote:
I hated doing essays. With a PASSION. I do however, love writing poetry and fiction novels. Hence my sentence/paragraph structures are a little bit different(i.e. smaller).
Old 2008-06-24, 21:19   Link #492
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
I hated doing essays. With a PASSION. I do however, love writing poetry and fiction novels. Hence my sentence/paragraph structures are a little bit different(i.e. smaller).
You should have seen me and her duking it out back in the day on topics like 'Does Lacus have... magik!?'. If anybody ever compiled that stuff, it could have been a fargin' book.

I don't know why, but I actually sat down and typed a 5 page essay just to match her length.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 21:21   Link #493
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Quote:
You should have seen me and her duking it out back in the day on topics like 'Does Lacus have... magik!?'. If anybody ever compiled that stuff, it could have been a fargin' book.

I don't know why, but I actually sat down and typed a 5 page essay just to match her length.

- Tak

I'm not match for either of you in the essay realm. I acknowledge defeat there.

I can write long posts, but their formats are a little bit different.
Old 2008-06-24, 21:40   Link #494
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Oh wow Tak I didn't know you cared about me that much!

Anyway, my work really is about writing essays for a living, freelance writer lol. It's hard not to push into that gear when I'm on the keyboards, that's how bad it is for me, and got RSI for it.

Anyway, this has been bothering me quite some time to. Is it true that Macross Frontier is just a 25-26 episode series? @.@;; Or would it follow the path of Code Geass and Gundam 00 (for splitting the anime into 2 seasons)? If so, then the Sheryl Alto development needs to be touched upon FAST if they are to go somewhere! /m/ is saying it's a 2 part series, but as we all know /m/, you can't tell if they're joking or not.

Old 2008-06-24, 21:49   Link #495
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Bad memories are difficult to forget

Quote:
If so, then the Sheryl Alto development needs to be touched upon FAST if they are to go somewhere! /m/ is saying it's a 2 part series, but as we all know /m/, you can't tell if they're joking or not.
Are you complaining that their pairing is too slow? Me too.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 21:52   Link #496
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Quote:

Anyway, my work really is about writing essays for a living, freelance writer lol. It's hard not to push into that gear when I'm on the keyboards, that's how bad it is for me, and got RSI for it.

Anyway, this has been bothering me quite some time to. Is it true that Macross Frontier is just a 25-26 episode series? @.@;; Or would it follow the path of Code Geass and Gundam 00 (for splitting the anime into 2 seasons)? If so, then the Sheryl Alto development needs to be touched upon FAST if they are to go somewhere! /m/ is saying it's a 2 part series, but as we all know /m/, you can't tell if they're joking or not.
As far as we know, it will be 25 episodes. I know, depressing. But alas, we might not see more than possible OVA's after the 25th episode...
Old 2008-06-24, 21:53   Link #497
stray
aniki

Send a message via AIM to stray
Quote:
Far as anyone knows the series is over in October. But, this is Macross, where getting trapped with someone in a closet/elevetor/post apocalyptic earth/belly of a giant space fortress will pretty much mean they're common law.
Old 2008-06-24, 21:56   Link #498
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Far as anyone knows the series is over in October. But, this is Macross, where getting trapped with someone in a closet/elevetor/post apocalyptic earth/belly of a giant space fortress will pretty much mean they're common law.
Always possible for an extension, just like the original and 7. But, seeing how high the production values are, I doubt they could keep it up for too long.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 22:00   Link #499
stray
aniki

Send a message via AIM to stray
Quote:
Always possible for an extension, just like the original and 7. But, seeing how high the production values are, I doubt they could keep it up for too long.

- Tak
How far did 7 get extended? Was it originally scheduled for 26 or so?
Old 2008-06-24, 22:02   Link #500
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
How far did 7 get extended? Was it originally scheduled for 26 or so?
It went as far as 49 episodes, 2 OVAs, 1 movie and a crapload of music CDs.

Aye, it was the longest Macross series, ever.

- Tak
Closed Thread

Tags
romance