AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-30, 17:15   Link #1221
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
LoL how you came to a conclusion that I'm using this as an argument for RankaxAlto is a mystery.
Oh, no mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Besides, it's a treat to know how much Kawamori favored Ranka pre-production and that his target audience proved to be teenagers.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Plus, I certainly hope Kawamori's not about to break the hearts of her fans that are rooting for Ranka. I know Ranka has a huge fanbase in Japan with the Kira! phenomenon lol He better gives us a happy ending.
I rest my case.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 20:41   Link #1222
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
I'd like to see a list of anime with romance that ani_d has seen, then get her predictions while she started watching the show, and see how accurate she ended up being with them.

Based on her arguments, I don't think her predictions have faired well over the years... As for fitting towards older audiences, at 22, she doesn't fit that stage yet.

Most Macross fans are in their late 20's, 30's, 40's.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 20:44   Link #1223
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post

Based on her arguments, I don't think her predictions have faired well over the years... As for fitting towards older audiences, at 22, she doesn't fit that stage yet.

Most Macross fans are in their late 20's, 30's, 40's.
*Shrug* She insists that Macross Frontier is aimed at teenagers.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 20:49   Link #1224
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Was she one of the ones in the True Tears section who thought Noe was going to win?
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 20:50   Link #1225
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Was she one of the ones in the True Tears section who thought Noe was going to win?
You got me, never seen it.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 20:51   Link #1226
Tsuchiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Was she one of the ones in the True Tears section who thought Noe was going to win?
uh huh......
Tsuchiro is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 20:55   Link #1227
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Actually a bunch of fan art are making fun of Ranka pose because its parody worthy material... much like the Spinzaku, Wasurenomono, Nice Boat etc.
daimonth is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 21:17   Link #1228
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
Actually a bunch of fan art are making fun of Ranka pose because its parody worthy material... much like the Spinzaku, Wasurenomono, Nice Boat etc.
Speaking of parodies, I just can't get enough of this:



- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 21:29   Link #1229
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Send a message via AIM to stray
rant

Sigh... ok, this seriously gets my vote for worst argument since I've been on suki. Who the hell cares if if teens are up late, if the Macross fanbase is older, if it's airing on the "Otaku hour," or what fucking age group Frontier is after.

It's not going to change the outcome of the love triangle, Kawamori is going to do what he damn well pleases (we should hope). And if he damn well pleases Alto is going to end up with Ranka, then he'll end up with Ranka. If Kawamori damn well pleases Alto and Sheryl to be together, then he'll end up with Sheryl.

There's as much there for the seinen crowd as there is for the shonen crowd as there is for the shojo crowd and so on. And if you're 17, or 47... deal with it.

/rant

Back to the subject of romance... Sheryl supermove this week anyone?
stray is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 21:39   Link #1230
Teletha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas
Too soon for a super move. I want something to happen though because all of this crap is so totally stupid to even argue about. They are both well liked. It's watched by people of all ages. Kawamori will do what is in the best interest of the story he's trying to tell. The end.

Can't wait until tomorrow.
Teletha is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 21:43   Link #1231
zalem
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Speaking of parodies, I just can't get enough of this:



- Tak
Saw that, it bloody rocks. Hahahaha....I had to rewatch that scene several times when I saw that episode.

The kira! thing is more of a meme/parody type thing invading the net, it hardly means the world is suddenly madly in love with Ranka. Both Ranka and Sheryl are well loved characters. Ranka doesn't deserve Alto any more then Sheryl deserves him. It's not about who deserves him or whose fans might be upset if that character doesn't win. I'd be disappointed in Kawamori if he decided to write a certain ending just to please fans. For all we know this triangle will be completely unresolved and some characters might end up dead.
__________________
zalem is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 22:08   Link #1232
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
Omg...people here are impossible. I'm just speechless. x__x To think I've become so infamous lol Just stepped out for a while and when I came back, people are suddenly saying I made a claim like this and that. Seriously, did people even read how the previous discussions come about? =/ It seems like some people here are soo desperate to criticize anyone who goes against their major beliefs. They'll read something and suddenly, it's the truth and has to be labeled a villain. Totally amazing.

Okay, just to shut people up about this "Kira!" craze. I don't know why people are still making excuses that the fad doesn't mean Ranka is popular or is loved, but whatever. Lots of blogs are talking about this new craze in Japan and yes, Ranka has made a splash in episode 12. If you want to pretend it's not true, then I honestly could care less.

http://infestor51.wordpress.com/2008...rt-and-simple/
http://www.atalude.net/archives/2008...12521;☆/
http://anime-baka.blogspot.com/2008/...by-rankas.html
http://www.moeside.net/weblog/2008/0...-power-of-moe/
http://www.japanator.com/elephant/post.phtml?pk=8355
http://www.wolfhurricane.com/2008/07...-here-to-stay/

And how did my wish for Kawamori to give Ranka a happy ending became an absolute thing that I suddenly said Kawamori is 100% going to give her what she wants d/t her fame? When did I say that Sheryl fans don't matter? (What delusion) Where did I say that teenagers and Kawamori is a RankaxAlto argument? (Any idiot can see these are two different matters) And most of all, what does Macross Frontier have to do with me being a Noe supporter in True Tears? The thing was just taken so out of context no more words could describe how overboard ridiculous and outright stupid debating here is. I'm not even going to quote it word for word because it's just so....pointless and such a waste of energy. I don't wish to burn anymore braincells. X___X
__________________
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 22:25   Link #1233
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Returning to my Place as the QUEEN...XD
Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
@ ani_d

Welcome to the fandom wars. don't you worry, I have my own battles with that kind too. Best advice just ignore them. >.>;;

@ Tak

I wish I could have that as my sig. that's lol hilarious. Something straight out of King Of Fighters/ Street Fighter super move.

Also, about the teenager argument you're going with. Although totally irrelevant to this discussion, FF XII was supposed to have Basch or Balthier as its protagonist. But, since Squeenix was in a way reluctant to use that older themed protagonist to color an FF game, they then decided to use the Vaan and Penelo approach. The last FF that has any old main leads in it (past teenager age) was like the older FFs (correct me if I'm wrong though) and FF VII, from FF VIII onwards it's become more of a craze to fit young people to star in their games, and seem to get younger and younger as it gets (other Squeenix games like Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 for example). Granted that there are people older who would want to play those games, there's still the presence of the teenage marketing group, which still accounts for a huge percentage of their profits. Kids would want their parents to buy videogames for them. If the products don't appeal to the kids that much, then they stand to lose a great deal of the profits that their products will rake in.

Anime is meant to be watched by people of all ages, it is wrong to even imply that anime is just meant for kids. But we have different genres of anime catering to a whole range of fans, and whether some people like it or not, there are anime aimed for adults. My parents have a rather narrow view of anime as just being for kids, and because of this misunderstanding, they don't try sitting out the next 30 minutes or so while I watch Macross Frontier streaming from the internets. anyway, since a lot of fans these days are weaned on the latest bits of animation, circa 2000 onwards, it is safe to say that people who did watch it just now (or are exposed to anime just now) would tend to crave for a lot of shiny new anime stuff. There are others who don't see it that way, and they have their own tastes that also render themselves "game" on older animation and older anime, like some people on this forums are. There are some examples I've seen on /m/ who had Gundam Wing as their first Gundam shows, but they went on to rediscover old Gundam gems. But there are also others who don't (and get lambasted a lot for doing so). Same with the Macross threads in that imageboard, there are those who are real fans of the series, some new fans who want to get into the show, and the anons are very happy to help them out with a lot of their questions. Macross Frontier threads in there sadly only erupt into full Sheryl Ranka war threads most of the time, but sometimes when the anons aren't on a warpath, they give lots of comments on what they like and don't like about Frontier, complete with older Macross anime comparisons. This helps new fans to try out the series for themselves. And sometimes they don't also, because of the comments that they get weren't exactly that appealing.

As far as Macross Frontier goes, anyone could actually watch it if they want to, depending on their schedules (because of the time slot) and depending on the interest of the people who would of course watch it. As for the audience it's geared towards to, there really aren't a lot of anime nowadays that have comparably older cast members. Teenage cast members on an anime are there for a reason - to get younger people to watch it. Would you watch an anime about 30 year old leads? Probably only a few people would watch it. Macross Frontier is filled with characters with whom normal teenagers can relate to, because the characters themselves have some problems and issues that the younger audience could relate with, and that is what made them watch it. It could be the only reason why they watch it, but because we've agreed on the variety of anime fans, there are other reasons why they could also watch it. Whatever the reason, anime is there to make itself endearing to the general anime fandom. This is not to say that Macross Frontier is geared towards this age set, or that. But it has to sell to the younger fans, therefore Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee and all the other pretty characters are in there, but other than that, we all know what makes them great right? Therefore we have cosplays, promotional anime merchandise, the works. Fans of the Macross series love Sheryl and Ranka equally, but you can't deny the Kira meme has sprung a lot of fanart with people doing the Kira pose. I've even seen a Shishio Makoto one. O.o;; And I think even saw a Ryoma Nagare one as well. X___x;; (that was scary!) In any case, Ranka is popular, and when a character is popular, the character would have a lot of critics and fans as they always do, you cannot deny that. It is just so because Sheryl has a lot more fans than Ranka has - those who count themselves more of a Sheryl fan than Ranka one at that - that sometimes the shipping wars tend to come out very ridiculous to the point that the discussion now only focuses on what would the outcome of their relationship would be, just that. Macross has its Love Triangles, but I don't think SDF Macross just dwelt on that Love Triangle alone. It sprung a genre that Macross fans have loved, and not just because of that single Love Triangle relationship.

Ranka's been called out for being a moeblob and because she's timid, etc. - the reasons that the more extreme Sheryl fans have for disliking her very much are bordering on just pure dislike of her, with no reason at all for some. Sheryl has her own share of critics as well. The fact remains is that whether we like it or not, anime is there to always appeal to the younger sector of the market, and they have to sell themselves pretty well. Of course, the anime that is all about the mainstream of anime fandom,not the more art style anime, or those anime geared towards older audiences (anime that are meant for adults only). Ranka is popular with the blog crowd because she's cute, and she could hold her own against Sheryl because of her other endearing characteristics and that she's also strong in her own way. Sheryl is liked by people because they want strong female characters, and Sheryl happens to fit the bill just fine, and they also find Sheryl cute too. What a person would want to watch in anime is of course, up to his or her own decision. Also, sometimes it's not because of an anime a person watched that a person thinks differently in some way - they also get real life experiences and base them from what they know there as well. If a person only sees what she sees because of what she watched or what she experienced, then we can't do anything about that can we. If ani_d sees Ranka and Alto the way they are, there's no reason to raise pitchforks at why she does think so, or this even applies to you or herbert or other Sheryl fans in particular who see Sheryl and Alto the way they are. There are a lot of reasons why, and why not. ani_d seems to be quite open for a Sheryl Alto end, but she stated her reasons why she thinks that the Sheryl Alto end should be worked on a little more. It doesn't equate to saying that she doesn't like Sheryl Alto end, she feels that Sheryl's development is given an injustice, and needs development fast because there are only a few eps left to rectify anything, or even give her a supermove which could suddenly come out of nowhere if written badly. Anime is not meant to be "hey you're supposed to think my way" and get angry about a fan who doesn't seem to think their way. Anime was supposed to be watched for enjoyment and meaningful discussions in anime forums like these, not for the purpose of shipping wars or fandom wars. >.>;;

Be right back, working on a linguistics paper. >.>;;
__________________

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!

Last edited by Eidolon Sniper; 2008-07-30 at 23:28.
Eidolon Sniper is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 23:20   Link #1234
Dash_Hunter
Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
rant

Sigh... ok, this seriously gets my vote for worst argument since I've been on suki. Who the hell cares if if teens are up late, if the Macross fanbase is older, if it's airing on the "Otaku hour," or what fucking age group Frontier is after.

It's not going to change the outcome of the love triangle, Kawamori is going to do what he damn well pleases (we should hope). And if he damn well pleases Alto is going to end up with Ranka, then he'll end up with Ranka. If Kawamori damn well pleases Alto and Sheryl to be together, then he'll end up with Sheryl.

There's as much there for the seinen crowd as there is for the shonen crowd as there is for the shojo crowd and so on. And if you're 17, or 47... deal with it.

/rant

Back to the subject of romance... Sheryl supermove this week anyone?
I totally agree with you, Kawamori already has the end for the series and there is nothing that will change his decision, even if Ranka is super popular that wont change what he will do, as you said Kawamori does what he wants and what he thinks is the best choice for his story, do you want an example?

The first Series, in the original Macross Misa normally was more popular here in america and europe than Minmei (thanks to robotech), but did you know that Minmei was extremely popular in Japan? she was always more loved than Misa there, some japanese didnt like Misa for her personality but Minmeis popularity was devastating and everyone knows what Kawamori did, he decided to end the series with HikaruxMisa and not with Minmei because that was what he thought that would be the best for the story.

So my point here is that Rankas popularity or Sheryls popularity will not change what Kawamori already has in mind for the end of Frontier.

I mean, do you think he will do what the fans want? he, the man that has negated to do what most of macross fans want, to show what happened to the Megaroad 1 and the fate of the original triangle since the end of Flashback 2012.

And dont get me wrong im not saying that the end wont be RankaxAlto because i really think there is a high possibility that it will happen maybe even more than SherylxAlto (i want Sheryl to be with Alto in the end but im not sure it will happen) all im saying is that the popularity of the characters wont change what kawamori will do with the end.

Sorry if i have grammar or spelling mistakes but english is not my first language
Dash_Hunter is offline  
Old 2008-07-30, 23:42   Link #1235
zalem
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
I don't think anyone said Ranka wasn't popular. I even noted that both Ranka and Sheryl are well loved characters in my post. But I think using the Kira! thing as a gauge for her popularity is misleading considering some of this fanart was created by people who don't even know who Ranka is. It's a fad that is spreading among people who aren't MF fans. There are better ways to prove her popularity. Polls, for one thing. I don't really think her popularity is at issue here anyway.
__________________
zalem is offline  
Old 2008-07-31, 00:21   Link #1236
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
If ani_d sees Ranka and Alto the way they are, there's no reason to raise pitchforks at why she does think so, or this even applies to you or herbert or other Sheryl fans in particular who see Sheryl and Alto the way they are. There are a lot of reasons why, and why not.
It has nothing to do with me. I have 'Sheryl fan' written on my face from day 1 and changed it to "super-Sheryl-biased" a few weeks after. I've never claimed my predictions facts or my opinion neutral. I see Sheryl and Alto the way I have seen because I'm a Sheryl fan, I'm sure I'd think different if I'm a Ranka fan. There is a thing I need to admit, I prefer BleachOB to any other Ranka fan who have posted often in this AS forum, because she doesn't pretend to be neutral.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-07-31, 02:15   Link #1237
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
At the moment things are a bit on hold in the episodes themselves... episode 15 had Sheryl and Ranka declare their feelings as open as could be to Alto ( c'mon... singing at the guy? Imagine that happening in real life ) and Alto, while feeling overwhelmed, finally seemed to catch on a bit, but episode 16 dropped the thread wholesale, because it focused so much on the Galaxy plot progression.

Well, beside the Sheryl stuff, but that just reinforced again how dense Alto is in regards to Sheryl-samas feelings.
magnuskn is online now  
Old 2008-07-31, 03:07   Link #1238
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Sheryl sang at Ranka too. Could it be she's the center of the love triangle? (Wait... which she? I don't even know any more.)
Anh_Minh is online now  
Old 2008-07-31, 03:13   Link #1239
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Sheryl sang at Ranka too. Could it be she's the center of the love triangle? (Wait... which she? I don't even know any more.)
It's not just about their acts, also the intentions behind those acts.
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2008-07-31, 04:16   Link #1240
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The thing is, Alto is being faulted precisely for failing to read Sheryl's intentions. Magnukn's post mentioned that singing was a telltale of her feelings. I'm just saying, in itself it doesn't mean that much. She sings. It's what she does. It's no more meaningful than Alto's paperplane throwing.

Alto's dense, yes, but it's not entirely his fault. Sheryl's been touchy feely with him since before she knew her return to Galaxy would be postponed, when she wasn't looking for a Frontier boyfriend. She also, most famously, went as far as kissing him before laughing it off. So, yeah, if he has troubles taking her feelings seriously, I can't blame him.
Anh_Minh is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.