AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-08, 22:45   Link #1
Saiga Tatsumi

Don't you just hate when people criticize the way you type

I hate it when people say wow you have such bad grammar and puncation you won't even be taken seriously i think thats just stupid maybe we choose not to talk like that online.
Cause i was criticized because of the way i type by another message board.
And i thought I'd put this here because it said talk abnout here other then anime manga etc.

I bet i should just not worry about what they said to me and not worry
about looking back there and trying to say stuff to make it better or wrong.
Well i hope there's someone out there that has the same as me.

and sorry if this is the wrong place to put it here.
Old 2008-06-08, 22:51   Link #2
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

I hate people who can't get their grammar correctly, on a constant basis.
Old 2008-06-08, 22:55   Link #3
Saiga Tatsumi

o.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I hate people who can't get their grammar correctly, on a constant basis.
Are you talking about me or about someone else?
Old 2008-06-08, 22:58   Link #4
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiga Tatsumi View Post
Are you talking about me or about someone else?
Just a general statement.

Your style is not to my tastes, but tolerable.
Old 2008-06-08, 23:05   Link #5
Saiga Tatsumi

Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Just a general statement.

Your style is not to my tastes, but tolerable.
But what i hate is when you like suggest something.
And people won't support you unless you have good grammar etc.
Old 2008-06-08, 23:10   Link #6
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

My stand is: As long as you showed that you've put some effort in formulating your thoughts and typing them out in a coherent manner, I have no qualms. And yes, if you're nursing a hangover or dead tired from being awake in the wee hours of the morning, please rest first. The reply can wait.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 23:14   Link #7
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It's a matter of personal opinion. Everyone is built mostly the same, but the intelligent value of each individual isn't. Just cause you are more tolerant or able to read scrambled words doesn't mean the other persons will. WOW community are ruder than most forums cause mods can remove any post at any time, but on wow, you submit a complaint, and in like 4hours u get a response.

Simply, if you don't like others criticizing your grammar or punctuations, either simply don't complain back or use proper grammar.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 23:15   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
You see, there are three categories for me

Category 1: Stupid typos

I relaly love Air. It's one of my favorite aniem ever. I hate people who hate it because it's confusing. They're annoying.

Comments: I don't mind it. It seems like they know what they're talking about.

Category 2: Common mistakes

i really love air. its one of my fav anime ever. i hate ppl who hates it cuz its confusing. their annoying.

Comments: It's still readable. I don't like it, but I'm not going to note in my reply that his/her grammar sucks.

Category 3: Habitual typing

i really love air Cus its one of my fav anime
ever like i also hate Ppl that hates it
cuz its confusing their real annoying
kthxbai

Comments: Wtf?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 23:17   Link #9
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiga Tatsumi View Post
And people won't support you unless you have good grammar etc.
As long as one makes it READABLE and has concrete thought, I wouldn't hold it against them.
Old 2008-06-08, 23:22   Link #10
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Long as the post is coherent and well thought-out, then it's fine.

It is still a huge pet-peeve of mine though. It is shocking how many people fail at writing in the real world. They don't need to bring that to the internet to reinforce their bad habits.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 23:24   Link #11
nines
I much prefer the 2d

It's not really the fact that people don't know their grammar skills but that fact that most people are lazy, for example I put a shit load of effort just into typing this usually I wouldn't capitalize anything I would just let my I's be lower case and no capitals at begining of sentences. Yes I also have typos but like most people their just to lazy to press delete so from what I saw in code geass thread a guy did Suzzuku and just did Suzzuku ( I meant Suzaku) so yea basis to this is PEOPLE ARE LAZY AND PARTLY STUPID :P
Old 2008-06-08, 23:30   Link #12
Excorsism

I definitely hate it when people try to bring their "gangster" talk online. No clue why they want to do that. Also, I particular despise people who continue to type without placing punctuation marks. Run-on sentences make me mad!

Edit: Oops. Didn't full read the thread title. Anyhow, I don't mind people criticizing unless it's for good reason. If someone were to remark on someone's typing habits in some particular argument, then that person would be making a fool of him or her self.

Last edited by Excorsism; 2008-06-09 at 01:12.
Excorsism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 23:56   Link #13
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

You all have totally reversed the topic of the thread.

Though, I think the only ones who type as bad as KholdStare's third example are trolls, YouTube users, and MySpace users. Instead of criticizing every failure of a post in sight, you can sit back and laugh at it; no one needs to know how much you despise something.
Old 2008-06-08, 23:56   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

My (snooty) advice, earned from the school of hard knocks called Real LifeTM:

- First impressions count. Most people will form an opinion about you within 30 secs, if not less.

- If you go into a job interview dressed as though you've just got out of bed, you will fail the interview before you've even opened your mouth.

- Online, we don't get to see how you look, how you smell, how you talk and how you behave. Your style of writing is our first, and usually the only, guide to your personality and character traits.

- Will other people judge you based on how you type and write? Most definitely.

- Can you whine about it? Well sure, of course you can, because it is indeed somewhat wrong to judge a person by his appearances. But too much whining will only make you look worse.

- My deepest personal opinion: If an individual can't be bothered to put in effort to communicate effectively, he is being very discourteous because he is wasting my time. He is also being disrespectful, because he expects me to put up with his flippant attitude.

- So, unless the individual is dsylexic or suffers from attention deficit disorders, or if English isn't his first language, I expect to see at least a minimum level of grammatically correct writing.

- We should all take it as practise for Real LifeTM. Writing and spelling properly is a habit. Habits are hard to learn and even harder to break. It is therefore preferable to learn good habits. Type as properly as you can - it is for your own good in the long run.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 23:59   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
@Kagedanji: That's true, and that's why I rarely correct people on AS, because only a very few (new users) post that way. And then I would (politely) give them the tip that other posters will take them more seriously if you organize your thoughts a little bit better. I'm not the type of person who goes on a Suggestions thread (where I see this most often) just to mock people about their grammar then not suggesting anything.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 00:03   Link #16
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

now here's some thing for ya.

Juts becuase I am tyipng tihs setence wrnog dosen't maen taht yuo canont raed tihs sentnce.

Most of us know english words so well, we can pretty much distunguish our what the word means just be reading the first couple letters of the words and our brains would automatically tell us what it means even if we don't already recognize that it is spelt wrong.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-06-09, 00:04   Link #17
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
now here's some thing for ya.

Juts becuase I am tyipng tihs setence wrnog dosen't maen taht yuo canont raed tihs sentnce.
That would be an auto-ignore for me no matter how good the idea behind it might be.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 00:07   Link #18
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
That would be an auto-ignore for me no matter how good the idea behind it might be.
well... yeah but it's an example. Not literally a message for every day chat ^^

Old 2008-06-09, 00:10   Link #19
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Well i don't care as along i understand what he's talking about. Since i'm also doubt my grammar too... Altough i'm a people that alwasy scold my teammate if they type something with wrong grammar, even wrong space/tabs in any school paper i'm create. Well that's the case with formal document... Also, i'm also a strict typing programmer...

bUt I rLy h4tE sUmTh!n' LyK tHiZ...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 00:15   Link #20
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furuno View Post
Well i don't care as along i understand what he's talking about. Since i'm also doubt my grammar too... Altough i'm a people that alwasy scold my teammate if they type something with wrong grammar, even wrong space/tabs in any school paper i'm create. Well that's the case with formal document... Also, i'm also a strict typing programmer...

bUt I rLy h4tE sUmTh!n' LyK tHiZ...
That is rather annoying. I've seen some personal pages of those *teenages* who uses capitalized and non for each corresponding letter and it makes it almost impossible to read. I've been on the internet since it first got popular and I still can barely read it.