AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-09, 02:25   Link #41
ashesatdusk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La La Land
Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
What annoys me most is seeing people who use words like U, BCUZ, PLZ,

I think there is a place for that, but theres just this group who finds it appropriate to use any where on the internet. It makes posts especially hard to read. This is an Anime forum, but its harder to treat someone as intelligent, if it looks like they don't attempt to present themselves intelligently. I'm not saying such a person is unintelligent, as I doubt most of them write like that in real life (if you do please don't tell me about it).

I have this thing where my grammar is consistently worse on PHPBB forums. I don't know why. I never capitalize anything on PHPBB forums, and rarely use punctuation. It makes my posts awful to read. (and I'm a mod on a moderate sized one O_O).
__________________
Sig never posted, because the mods would remove it for exceeding the size limit.
ashesatdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:25   Link #42
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
@Kang: Oh. Well that's constantly not following the rules of grammar. The wording threw me off. ^_^
__________________
Kagedanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:27   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Sorrow-K's brainfire was due to the post itself being grammatically incorrect. So, was it a self-referential bit of humor or what? Both that post and the follow-up post from KSJ misuse the comma. The second post is also grammatically awkward.

But KSJ's intent is pretty clear: he prefers people at least try to communicate clearly.

Unless someone can convince me they are posting to a forum using a 10-key input (e.g. cellphone) -- there's absolutely no reason for using 'texting' shortcuts.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:30   Link #44
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So, was it a self-referential bit of humor or what?


But KSJ's intent is pretty clear: he prefers people at least try to communicate clearly.
Both statements are correct
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:31   Link #45
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Are we really going to discuss comma placement in this thread? You say tomato, I say to-mah-to. You put a comma before the word "and," I don't.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:33   Link #46
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
...Misusing the comma was for humor?

EDIT: Anyway, Khold took what I was originally going to say. This isn't independent study English class. This is becoming a collection of rants about English in general, and it shouldn't be.
__________________
Kagedanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:35   Link #47
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
...Misusing the comma was for humor?
Well, it isn't a misuse. It's more of a uncommon style of writing.


It's not like I always follow The Elements of Style.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:43   Link #48
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
*is very lazy*
At least in IM's, most common annoyances to others seem to be my lack of capitalisation (shift key, too much work) and sometimes using 'u' instead of 'you' or 'nite' instead of 'night', my 'i' is almost always in lower case. And then there's the usual abbreviations
ttyl = talk to you later bbiab = be back in a bit
so in addition we got ofc = of course cba = can't be arsed (bad habits i picked up from a friend who is worse than me shortcut wise on IM's, lol)
And so on...
Try this :
oi jgn lp nnt mlm kt mkn2 sm mrk. se x an ngmngn pryk.
That's what i'm typing when text messaging someone, it's a whole abbreviation of :
Oi jangan lupa nanti malam kita makan-makan sama mereka, sekalian ngomongin proyek.
Which is my country language that literally translate to :
Hey, don't forget this night we have dinner with them, we also should talk about the project after that.

I think it's not too annoyying for short messaging which typing speed is (IMO) crucial...

So, i found people who type the "i" in "I" with lowercase like me... Is this annoyying? If that so I'll change my typing habit...
__________________

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:46   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
There's also a lovely little book called Eats, Shoots & Leaves. It is absolutely essential reading for anyone that cares about their writing (and has a funnybone).
http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Le.../dp/1592400876

Personally, I don't give a rats ass whether the "I" pronoun is capitalized or not by someone because there is no ambiguity with either choice.

e e cummings and Archie the cockroach made whole careers out of not using the caps key.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:47   Link #50
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, those who know what my job is (please don't make me remind you) will know that I must be fed up with SMS-speak, and I certainly am. But I have a hard time blaming someone who not only is stupid enough to be my client, but who's also trying to convey something through that crappy interface called cellphone. I also give a pass to people who mistype in IRC or other chat-based interfaces, mainly because I do it, too.

But on a forum, where you can take all the time of the world to think about what you're posting, where thinking is actually necessary lest you want it to turn into yet another senseless shoutbox of a message board, I am annoyed by it. If I have to put more effort than it would be actually necessary to read a post, I ignore it altogether.

By the way, I'm a very peculiar person when it comes to punctuation. Awkward and unconventional punctuation (no spaces after a comma or a period, awkward use of capitalization, badly formatted posts --refer to Mystique's post on this thread for something that annoys me to no end--, "it's" when it should be "its", things like that) gets on my nerves quite quickly, mainly because it's the thing that makes it harder for me to understand a phrase.

But yeah, I won't chew you out for doing it--I will just promptly ignore you. Though I will doubt your intellectual capabilities if the behavior is outrageous enough.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:48   Link #51
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
By the way, I'm a very peculiar person when it comes to punctuation. Awkward and unconventional punctuation (no spaces after a comma or a period, awkward use of capitalization, badly formatted posts --refer to Mystique's post on this thread for something that annoys me to no end--, things like that) get on my nerves quite quickly, mainly because it's the thing that makes it harder for me to understand a phrase.

But yeah, I won't chew you out for doing it--I will just promptly ignore you. Though I will doubt of your intellectual capabilities if the behavior is outrageous enough.
*Scared*
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:53   Link #52
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
By the way, I'm a very peculiar person when it comes to punctuation. Awkward and unconventional punctuation (no spaces after a comma or a period, awkward use of capitalization, badly formatted posts --refer to Mystique's post on this thread for something that annoys me to no end--, "it's" when it should be "its", things like that) gets on my nerves quite quickly, mainly because it's the thing that makes it harder for me to understand a phrase.
Agree.

<body class="mainbody"> and <body class='mainbody'> is a huge difference. You can use (") inside PHP's (') but you can't do the otherwise... Quotes is a very important thing in programming... Also in language...
__________________

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:54   Link #53
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
It's not the comma I had a problem with (it was questionable, but not enough to kick up a storm about). My problem was with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I hate people who can't get their grammar correctly, on a constant basis.
This should have been either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I hate people who can't get their grammar correct, on a constant basis.
or perhaps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I hate people who can't use their grammar correctly, on a constant basis.
Also, "consistent" is probably a better word than "constant", but it's not word choice I'm criticizing in this instance. I have no problem with people making innocent mistakes, which I'm sure was the case here... except when one is criticizing other people's grammar. When you're criticizing someone else's grammar, you need to take extra care to make sure your own is irreproachable.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 02:57   Link #54
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
When you're criticizing someone else's grammar, you need to take extra care to make sure your own is irreproachable.
I know, I know, I shouldn't have been writing several posts at the same time, and should have proofread.


I usually never go back and change my errors, because I hate the "This post was editted by Kang Seung Jae" thing that appears at the bottom.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 03:00   Link #55
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I usually never go back and change my errors, because I hate the "This post was editted by Kang Seung Jae" thing that appears at the bottom.
If you do it within 10 minutes of posting, you won't get the message down below.

I actually edit my posts like 50% of the time--I'm very prone to making mistakes.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 03:01   Link #56
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
If you do it within 10 minutes of posting, you won't get the message down below.
The problem is that I tend to miss typos because I do several things at the same time.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 03:28   Link #57
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Oh, I guess we do have a language expert at our disposal. I, like WK, edit my posts 50%, or maybe 40%. I always read the post after (not before) I submit, and of course, I just can't stand typos, so I edit them. I'm actually glad this forum doesn't list ninja editing or else so many of my posts would show that I edit them. Sometimes, I see a post I made a week ago that contains a typo, and I still edit it. Lol@me.

But here's my list of what abbreviations/internet slangs I use and don't use:

Use:
lmao
wtf
lol
rofl
btw
iirc
HnG, SHnY, KGNE, etc...

Don't Use:
u, 4, 2, etc...
cuz, plz, thx, etc...
dont, im, etc...
your, there/their, etc...
tl;dr (I find this somewhat rude?)

@Sorrow-K: I would've used "use" myself, without the comma. Oh well, many of us are ESL posters anyways.

@WanderingKnight: How's my grammar and stuff for in my posts?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 05:46   Link #58
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
i fkn h8 ppl hu cnt typ prprly bcs its lik rly cnfusing n stuffs LOL!!!!11

Let's put it this way; even if it's SOMEWHAT legible, and I can understand the gist, it's still incredibly annoying and they're probably a tard. Then again I'm a pretty big grammar nazi

But what's with the fear of vowels that young people have nowadays? (mutters)
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 05:48   Link #59
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furuno View Post
Try this :
Spoiler for real eye cancer:

Hey, don't forget this night we have dinner with them, we also should talk about the project after that.

I think it's not too annoyying for short messaging which typing speed is (IMO) crucial...

So, i found people who type the "i" in "I" with lowercase like me... Is this annoyying? If that so I'll change my typing habit...
All i've done is skim over that and not read a single word. It's as foreign to me as russian characters and my brain can happily shut down what is "supposed" to be some form of the english language, if it takes me more than 5 seconds of thinking time to decipher it.
And i swear at a glance, you're not even talking in english?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
But what's with the fear of vowels that young people have nowadays? (mutters)
Usually replaced with numbers... -_-
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
But on a forum, where you can take all the time of the world to think about what you're posting
Not necessarilly, some topics tend to be 'hot off the press' so to speak, where people may want to write their opinion asap.
At least with me, alike now i'm writing this from work where 1/2 of my attention is given, or I may check something in the morning when my brain is half asleep and typo more than i intended to (and tend to correct myself if i come back to it some hours later), so it depends on the situation of the person behind the screen.
Quote:
...where thinking is actually necessary lest you want it to turn into yet another senseless shoutbox of a message board, I am annoyed by it. If I have to put more effort than it would be actually necessary to read a post, I ignore it altogether.

By the way, I'm a very peculiar person when it comes to punctuation. Awkward and unconventional punctuation (no spaces after a comma or a period, awkward use of capitalization, badly formatted posts --refer to Mystique's post on this thread for something that annoys me to no end--, "it's" when it should be "its", things like that) gets on my nerves quite quickly, mainly because it's the thing that makes it harder for me to understand a phrase.

But yeah, I won't chew you out for doing it--I will just promptly ignore you. Though I will doubt your intellectual capabilities if the behavior is outrageous enough.
Actually, since he said that, i figure he's just ignored me quoting his stuff now huh xD
Ah well~
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-06-09 at 10:05.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 07:18   Link #60
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I'm unashamedly lazy, so if it's written lik tha, I'll just skip it because:
- it takes too much effort to read.
- the author is probably a moron. There is an outside chance he just has poor language skills and his opinions are interesting and well thought out, but I'll play the odds on that one.

That said, I don't mind the occasional typo. It would be hypocritical of me to do so.

I hate 1337, but I don't mind abbreviations such as "OTOH", "AFAIK" and so on. I'm a bit leery of "LOL" or "ROFL", but they get a pass.

Saiga Tatsumi: the uncapitalized 'i's are annoying, but bearable. Aside from that, your posts are more than good enough. On the whole, if I had to rate it, I'd say it's actually less annoying than posts of people abusing bold fonts.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.