AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-09, 07:40   Link #61
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
If I'm loosing a debate, I'll gladly draw a circle around any bad punctuation with photoshop and send it to them saying:

"You expect me to respond to this atrocity!?"

It's the perfect excuse. It makes me look elitist but at least I don't loose.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 08:40   Link #62
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

kakashi-san, I believe the word is "lose", not loose.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 09:02   Link #63
Ilija
Blah

I believe Kakashi knows the difference between them perfectly well yezhanquan... I get the feeling he was trying to bring out the smart allacks for all to see. Luckily you never mentioned the word 'hypocrite'.

To be honest I don't care if someone with good ideas types with bad grammar, although it does make for a more enjoyable read if they can make their ideas clear and therefore more easily understandable. After all grammar is good, grammar is used to make communicating easier. It's also useful to make using good grammar a habit from an early age.
Old 2008-06-09, 09:47   Link #64
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
...............for something that annoys me to no end--, "it's" when it should be "its", things like that)
It has me fuming as well when contraction is misused with possessive pronoun. Come on man... just drop the contraction and type out the two words, granted one of those two words are an auxilary verb. That leaves you with the possessive pronoun which you will use only when you must and you are absolutely... positively... certain that you can't do without the using of "its." See? So easy to avoid asking that question "to-be verb" or "not to-be verb."

On a second thought, you folks are nuts. Everyone of you. Hilarious responses by the way despite the fact how easily the original intention of the thread was diverted to the opposite direction. My condolences and some positive reps to Saiga Tatsumi for such a fantastic read.
Old 2008-06-09, 15:01   Link #65
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Horrible typing on internet and getting criticized by the civilized minority, that's to be expected.

People discover the internet as kids with elementary level language skills and just pick up the stuff that's being said on random irc channels and counter-strike games. Their typing then amounts to gibberish that only few can understand. More so if english isn't their first language and they pick up almost the whole languge online.

Then gradually when they get into more intellectual circles and get the desire to express themselves and to get some credibility, the language improves. But there will always be a share of horrible language on the internet. It's a stage of development of most individuals.

(pen name: been there, done that)
Jaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 15:48   Link #66
Saiga Tatsumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Saiga mentioned that he/she had a medical condition, so I'll take that into consideration.

And yes, I don't really like to assume what is being rolled out on the screen. Assume makes an ass out of u and me.
I'm a he. xD
Old 2008-06-09, 15:49   Link #67
serpenter

i dont like text talk (i think thats what its called)
but, i my self have a tendancy to remove loads of letters, when typing a statement. instead of typing to be properly grammaticly correct, i type the way i think, which in turn is the way i speak, thus i drop out letters and combine some words. (i usualy leave a ' if i take out letters or somthing though...) i cantr stand it when people thing everything should be done in perfect englist. i know few people whom talk constantly like that anyways...
serpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 16:23   Link #68
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The topic starter is wrong to complain. If people are just being petty and want to correct your grammar, then you should feel free to ignore them. People arguing over comma usage, for example, are people that can be safely ignored.

It becomes a different scenario if you're not writing well. When we write a post the thoughts are all in our head, and they all make sense to us. If you write it out in a stream of consciousness, without using punctuation to break it up, it becomes very difficult for another person to understand your points. It's also a real chore to read something like that. Your posts should ideally convey your message simply and easily. They shouldn't be a puzzle, or something to be deciphered.

So if people are telling you that they don't like the way you conduct your posts, consider whether they might be right. If you have a medical condition and it interferes with your ability to write coherent posts, draft your posts. Write it out, and then edit it two or three times. It sounds ridiculous to do something like that for a mere message forum, I know. If you don't do it, you're likely to either be ignored or ridiculed. Nobody is going to know what you were trying to say either way, because you weren't communicating clearly.

You're not expected to have perfect spelling and grammar, although having those will make you seem a bit more authoritative in a text-based world like a message forum. Just communicate clearly. Not knowing English that well will grant you a lot of leniancy from most people, but it always saddens me to see so many people claiming that English isn't their native language before proceeding to write a post that blows away 98% of the posts made by native English speakers in terms of grammar, spelling, and clarity.

(For the record, I have a tendency to be very long-winded and use too many commas and not enough periods. For exceptionally long posts I make an effort to proofread for clarity purposes.)
Old 2008-06-09, 16:39   Link #69
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
excellent post ledgem. if you can't take the criticism then.

cross. bridge. later.

As long as you communicate with the best of intention, then let them be.

After all that is one of the wonder of the English language taht popele can siltl udrentsnad wat teh wrod maen eveen if tehy r worng.

Old 2008-06-09, 16:41   Link #70
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
(For the record, I have a tendency to be very long-winded and use too many commas and not enough periods. For exceptionally long posts I make an effort to proofread for clarity purposes.)
Long winded? Nah. You just have a lot on your mind. ^^

Darnit, still can't give you cookies. >< Well, it was an excellent post nonetheless.
Old 2008-06-09, 17:31   Link #71
Kakashi
カカシ

I'll give him some cookies then Even if they arn't worth much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Not knowing English that well will grant you a lot of leniancy from most people, but it always saddens me to see so many people claiming that English isn't their native language before proceeding to write a post that blows away 98% of the posts made by native English speakers in terms of grammar, spelling, and clarity.
Why does it sadden you? Because you think they are using it as an unnecessary excuse or because native English speakers actually use worse English then non-natives?
Old 2008-06-09, 17:38   Link #72
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi-san View Post
Why does it sadden you? Because you think they are using it as an unnecessary excuse or because native English speakers actually use worse English then non-natives?
The latter.

Language is a beautiful thing. Arguably the ability to communicate in the way that we do, both vocally and through writing, is what separates humans from animals. One of my friends once claimed that writing itself was human intelligence. It allows us to build on our old knowledge. Sure, other animals can figure out neat tricks, but they have to reinvent the wheel each and every time. What if they could build off of old discoveries, as well?

I'm not a linguaphile. I took Spanish in high school and can barely understand it, and I took Japanese for three years and can do daily conversations with it. I like to think that my English is near-perfect. I'm American. In other parts of the world people seem to know at least two languages very well, and occasionally you meet people who know even more. I don't want to say that it's a regular thing because I don't really know that, but it certainly seems like Americans are increasingly becoming monolingual. Worse, they can barely master the language that they do have. The implications for a society that cannot express itself and communicate properly are a bit frightening.
Old 2008-06-09, 18:04   Link #73
Kakashi
カカシ

To be fair nearly every country teaches English in its curriculum as a secondary language. It's one of those must learn languages and as a result most children by the age of 16 can speak English very well or at least well enough to hold a conversation. Since English is the dominant international language people find it less necessary to become bilingual. Less motivation etc.

It can't be helped in some ways if every other country is seemingly putting all the effort in for us. On top of that learning a language through pure study and no immersion is no easy task. So why go through the effort? I know 2 and 1/2 languages (Serbo-Croat, English and basic Spanish). I did Spanish as an add on AS level (don't know the US equivalent) and it was on another level to High School. Tough stuff. Still other countries seem to have a much better system in place for learning languages. Or maybe Americans and Brits are naturally crap linguists...

I agree it's worrying, most can't master their own language. Not always through fault of their own. Usually it's just the basics that wern't taught properly in school, which then leads to further problems.
Old 2008-06-09, 22:17   Link #74
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

My quick rule of thumb: if it takes me more effort to read a post than what it would take me to type it, I don't like you or what you have to say.

And I agree with Ledgem's last point, a society without the capability to effectively communicate stagnates and dies.
Old 2008-06-09, 22:48   Link #75
PhantomRay
~Shoop~Da~Whoop~

My english grammar is bad anyway, so I ignore critics. I always edit my replies on the forums cause of the bad spelling/grammar. I used to type very formal, but I got myself influenced by other's 'fast' typo. I'm not a native english speaker, I try my best. I know most of us here are not native english speakers as well.

Also another of my mistake is, I tend to repeat the same ideea over and over again while attempting to speak properly !

Here something that just appeared in my mind. Imagine going in a bookstore and you get your hands on a grammar book whit the title:

" 4dV4NcED EnGr1sH Gr4Mm4r B00kZor$ " ( " Advanced English Grammar Book )
PhantomRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 22:50   Link #76
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRay View Post
Here something that just appeared in my mind. Imagine going in a bookstore and you get your hands on a grammar book whit the title:

" 4dV4NcED EnGr1sH Gr4Mm4r B00kZor$ " ( " Advanced English Grammar Book )
*Faints*

That's a horrible thought.....
Old 2008-06-09, 22:57   Link #77
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
*Faints*

That's a horrible thought.....
100% agree. Lord, please excuse me. *facepalm*
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 22:58   Link #78
Saiga Tatsumi

I see everyone has there own opinions.
Old 2008-06-09, 23:14   Link #79
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

In a forum situation, it is very understandable if people write,

"lulz, u knowz u cant do it, cuz you sux0rz"

that it would agitate others.

However, if you are angered by the following...

"Me thinks that this ep was quite entertaining"

I would take issue with that.

It's like when people say "I did good" compared to "I did well," at least to me. This forum is not an English class, this forum is a place to enjoy yourselves by introducing your opinions and discussing them. As long as you're able to understand others without any real extra effort, I think the writing is fine.

If you are of the writing caliber of James Joyce, I don't care about you anymore than the person who barely knows English. To me, it is the thought in the sentence that counts.

@Ledgem

I actually really dislike that languages over complicate themselves. Rules in English like "don't use the same verb repeatedly" makes me cringe. Why can't we simply express ourselves in the simplest way possible?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 23:23   Link #80
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I actually really dislike that languages over complicate themselves. Rules in English like "don't use the same verb repeatedly" makes me cringe. Why can't we simply express ourselves in the simplest way possible?
It makes it hard to read.

...which is all that counts anyway :/

Oh, and what makes James Joyce special compared to the average writer is the thought behind his writings.

Just a gentle nudge; don't mind me!
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote