AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-07-31, 08:18   Link #1
Raiga
tl;dr

Corrupted C:\ + System Restore

So earlier today I had to turn my laptop off via the power switch which I know you're not supposed to do but it was just screwing up and it was about the only thing I could do. So then I restart it and it seems fine until Pidgin tells me it can't load my buddy list because it's corrupted and WinAmp gives me another corruption error and all this crap starts popping up.

So I restart again and on boot it says it's checking for disk errors and then tells me that Windows cannot fix the disk errors and that I should use a System Restore. I figure, okay, I'll System Restore.

I go to System Restore and it says that it cannot System Restore because my disk is corrupted, and I'll need to fix those errors first.

... what the fuck? This would be funny if this wasn't my computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid to restart my computer again considering how long it took to get it booted this time.
Old 2010-07-31, 08:32   Link #2
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Format the system and then use a backup?
Old 2010-07-31, 08:49   Link #3
Raiga
tl;dr

I'd need to get a new external then... my hard drive is literally the biggest information storage in the entire house. =__=;; Unless I plan to burn everything onto about 40 DVDs, which my dad does have a stack of.
Old 2010-07-31, 09:33   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Did windows present the error it detail? If it did you should post it before you try reformatting.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 09:44   Link #5
Raiga
tl;dr

"The disk OS (C:) has errors

Windows has detected file system corruption on OS (C:). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored."

That's literally all it says when I try to system restore. Apparently it can only check the disk for errors when I boot (i.e. when the disk is not in use). It did that once and, like I said, told me that I should system restore once it was finished.
Old 2010-07-31, 09:52   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
"The disk OS (C has errors

Windows has detected file system corruption on OS (C. You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored."

That's literally all it says when I try to system restore. Apparently it can only check the disk for errors when I boot (i.e. when the disk is not in use). It did that once and, like I said, told me that I should system restore once it was finished.
If it says the disc OS has errors it usually means that Windows itself is corrupted but not necessarily everything else.

Try reinstalling the OS. Reboot, go to the BIOS and have the BIOS read the disc drive on boot, place the Windows installation disc inside and reboot again. You should be prompted to reinstall the OS. This may or may not require a reformatting of the HD.

Alternatively, if you really don't want to reformat everything, you can get a new HD, set it as the master HD device and install the OS there and have it run from that HD. You can then use your old HD where you have all your stuff as a regular sub-drive since your OS runs from the other HD.
Old 2010-07-31, 09:52   Link #7
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Get a cheap external HD and format it.
Old 2010-07-31, 09:56   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

not sure but a Windows repair install might help

I would just burn a bunch of dvd's or buy a cheap external HDD (you have about ~160GB data right, ~40 dvds, 160GB shouldn't cost much)
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 10:06   Link #9
spikexp

You could try Hiren's BootCD to restore a partition (I don't remember if he can do it, but I think Yes).
You might also want to try other software than windows cd, like easeus partition manager and try a restore.

If your harddrive had many partition, you could format only one and keep the data on the other.
You can always do that, From what I understand, you have 1 big partition, so you could just take some space from it and create a new partition to put windows.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 10:06   Link #10
Raiga
tl;dr

I might try the repair install, thanks for the suggestion.

We do have a ~170 external but it's half full of crap already... I can delete all my old backup files but most of the stuff on the external is my dad's and I don't know if all my current stuff will fit in the remaining space. I don't remember how much space Windows takes up but I think I've used around 170, maybe up to 200...

EDIT: Not terribly savvy about this stuff but I'll look into the partitions thing too, thanks.

EDIT2: I can't create a partition (rather, I can't reduce the size of the C:\ partition so I can free up space for a new one). Take a wild guess why. *sigh*

It told me to run chkdsk to fix it so I did...

Says read-only mode, not really sure what that means... :\

Last edited by Raiga; 2010-07-31 at 10:19.
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 12:50   Link #11
TCman

Hi,

How about going into safe mode and scan the harddrive there? The method is described with more details here: http://www.sensible-computer-help.com/safe-mode.html

So it seems this method works if we can trust this article/guide. Try it out and see if it works.

Good luck!
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 14:33   Link #12
Tiberium Wolf

WTH? I could understand if it was FAT32 but NTFS? I have done lots of forced power off in systems with NTFS but it never got corrupted.
Old 2010-07-31, 15:07   Link #13
spikexp

What have you use to resize the partition?
Old 2010-07-31, 15:08   Link #14
Raiga
tl;dr

I scheduled a chkdsk.exe /F for the next time the computer restarts but I'm fairly certain that's the same thing it's been doing anyway, and chkdsk always freezes when the countdown gets to 1 (as in, "to skip the disk check press any key in 10, 9..." etc. It hits 1 and just stays there).

Dug out my Windows 7 disk... it's actually an upgrade-from-Vista disk, would that still work for a repair OS reinstall?

EDIT: I used Windows' built-in partitioning thing. From my control panel.
Old 2010-07-31, 16:39   Link #15
spikexp

Use easeus partition manager (free), you should be able to do it.
Of gparted in a ubuntu live-cd (or the gparted on the hiren boot cd)
Old 2010-07-31, 17:58   Link #16
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Your MFT might be corrupt, which means you might be pretty much screwed. Never turn off your PC while windows is writing the MFT. This table knows where your logical files are physically stored on your HDD. When this thing is toast, all your data is just random bits and bytes (maybe disk recovery software can make sense of parts of it).

There is also a Backup/Mirror of the MFT. There exist tools that allow to restore from the backup MFT. Usually chkdsk /F should try to synchronize the two MFTs (as in using the backup to restore the original... but sometimes it just manages to either corrupt the backup or it cannot make sense of both original/backup).

To be more precise it says the MFT bitmap is corrupt.... usually only rights management stuff resides in this bitmap and can be restored. But what happens if the MFT is actually corrupt - but not enough, so that chkdsk does not correctly identify it as corrupt and the bitmap is okay?... well ... then chkdsk does report a false negative for your MFT and a false positive for the bitmap.

Then (and only then... as a last resort or fallback to chkdsk /F) I can recommend:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

There is also a hardcore way to restore the MFT from the backup, but I would not recommend it (I've done it only once, and it is rather complicated for a novice):

Use dskprobe to copy MFT mirror over MFT

MFT is found somewhere at the beginning of the partition (start cluster 4?), MFT mirror somewhere at the end (depends on the size of the partition... but you can search for something like this "NTFS ???? &r" <= the header of the MFT and its mirror MFT)

Last edited by Jinto; 2010-07-31 at 18:13.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 18:23   Link #17
Raiga
tl;dr

Hmm... I've checked some random files on my computer and they all seem fine... in fact aside from chkdsk crashing every single boot everything on my computer seems to work. I did re-install Windows but I haven't restarted again after it finished...

I'm afraid I don't fully understand the explanation (thanks for the help though ^^;; ) but if worst comes to worst would a format fix it? I've already backed up on the external everything I'd really mind losing; the other random crap on my computer can always be re-downloaded. If after this restart the problem persists I'll try TestDisk first.

EDIT: Problem seems... gone, miraculously. '_' After I finished re-installing Windows chkdsk told me my disk was fine.

Last edited by Raiga; 2010-07-31 at 19:36.
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 00:59   Link #18
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

An OS reinstall usually solves most problems.
Old 2010-08-01, 03:05   Link #19
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
An OS reinstall usually solves most problems.
But you are also loosing your registry entries... which could have been backed up before the reinstall to avoid having to install the programs again (a repair install may actually preserve those registry files, but I don't really know, its not something I do every now and then).
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 09:08   Link #20
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
But you are also loosing your registry entries... which could have been backed up before the reinstall to avoid having to install the programs again (a repair install may actually preserve those registry files, but I don't really know, its not something I do every now and then).
If you reinstall Windows all the programs you have such as games etc. will give you a 0000000x00000 error or say that the disc cannot be found.. most of the times they will still boot up, it gives you the option Cancel, retry and OK I think it was. This is due to the registry parts being missing

So what you do is simply reinstall those programs and this can happen:
the first try it might say the installation failed, this however is due to the setup finding half the files. Run the setup again for a working reinstall of the program.

If you don't then for example if you go to your add/remove programs list the programs will not show up.

All data will remain though, almost My Computer and your profile will be whipped.
But if you have movies and such things then they will not be removed if they are not under My Computer or Desktop. When I did this I moved all important files to my other HD
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote