AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-16, 22:00   Link #1
ellifeedn
Thinker

Decent Dubs

I've heard from many people of how English dubs for animes suck. The most infamous one in mind is the 4kids dub of One Piece. I'm wondering if there are English dubs that don't suck and are decent. One that I have in mind would be Outlaw Star.
Old 2008-06-16, 22:25   Link #2
james0246

Animeondvd.com used to do a great list of best dubs for new shows every month (they still do on their forums...I think). Here is a page detailing their favourite dubs and dub-actors for the past year or so of anime (the legendary Crispin Freeman as Kyon in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya).

That being said, here is a list of older dubs:

Cowboy Bebop (the quintissential good dub)
Evangelion (love it or hate it, this is one of the prolific dub jobs for a prolific anime)
Gundam Wing (the main characters save Relena are all very good)
Excel Saga (suprisingly good dub especially considering the fact that the main actress has to be replaced midway through the season du to the fact that her voice simply couldn't handle the character )
El-Hazard (classic early dub from Pioneer studios)
Robotech (need I say more)
Old 2008-06-16, 22:38   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I've heard from many people of how English dubs for animes suck. The most infamous one in mind is the 4kids dub of One Piece. I'm wondering if there are English dubs that don't suck and are decent. One that I have in mind would be Outlaw Star.
It's not just that the english voice actors usually suck, it's that the characters are largely the voices themselves. Change the voice and you change the character. Entire scenes take on different meanings as inflections don't make the transition... even "good" dubs like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya don't hold a candle to the original casting. (not really too fair in that case, I admit, since the original cast was so excellent) I guess what I'm trying to say is that at the idea of a "good" dub is itself a fallacy, because the entire concept of dubbing is an evil satanic bastardization of all that is good and holy. I mean that in an objective sense, of course.

...dubs are just a bad idea and should stop. There is nothing wrong with making people think a little more than they're used to.
Old 2008-06-16, 22:59   Link #4
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Most of the Ghibli films have excellent dubs. But that's because Disney actually has real voice actors at its disposal, not the hobos from the alley behind the studio that ADV, Funi, Viz etc use.
Old 2008-06-16, 23:29   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I found the use of "name" actors in the adaptation of Mononoke Hime rather annoying. I enjoyed the actors for Ashitaka and San much more because I really hadn't heard either Billy Crudup or Claire Danes enough to identify their voices.

Billy Bob Thornton will never be able to sound like a Japanese monk. I'm sure that was one of those "cast someone with an American regionalism" decisions common in American dubs. ADV takes the same approach with Osakans in Azumanga Daioh and Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade, voicing them with strong Southern accents. I don't know if the lady scientist in Noein is supposed to be from the Osaka region, but her dubbed voice sounds like she's from Montgomery, Alabama. The Noein dub is on my list of things never to listen to again.

I haven't listened to many dubs, but I'd second james3wk's suggestion of Excel Saga despite the tag-team match required. I think I may have heard a couple of episodes in the original Japanese; that performance was truly amazing.
Old 2008-06-17, 00:13   Link #6
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Until now i've never watched an anime that sounded better dubed than japanese... actually the only animated show that i liked in english is Avatar and it is america xD I would like to get a japanese dubed episode and see if it is better lol
Old 2008-06-17, 00:27   Link #7
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I found the use of "name" actors in the adaptation of Mononoke Hime rather annoying. I enjoyed the actors for Ashitaka and San much more because I really hadn't heard either Billy Crudup or Claire Danes enough to identify their voices.
Mononoke Hime is definitely on the lower end of the Ghibli dubs. But it's my second favourite Ghibli movie, so I'm a bit biased for the original audio.

Also, yeah, Noein dub was horrific. Using southerners for Kansai-ben is terrible. >.<

I own hundreds of DVDs, but pretty much never watch the dub tracks. Very few are even tolerable, let alone good. I mention Ghibli because most of them are quite watchable with the Disney dubs.
Old 2008-06-17, 00:44   Link #8
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
there is a reason fansubs are bigger then dubs. while it is also a TON cheaper, it really is better. While it does take a little away from the aesthetics of the anime, having to look down at the words if u don't know japanese, the voice actors in japan are really that much better.

But if you think about it, it all really makes sense. In Hollywood MOST (keyword) actors are not famous because of their voice. It is their mannerisms and acting skill. In Japan, where western culture keeps becoming more dominant, people would rather see actors from America (you can see this in animes too where they make reference to American film actors) so the most famous Japanese actors are often voice actors. also "Super Idols" tend to play roles in animes as well. Such as Mai Nakahara and Ai Shimizu (think ending theme from strawberry panic) although I'm not sure if they were in that, i know for a fact they did play characters in another anime.
Old 2008-06-17, 00:57   Link #9
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I am, admittedly, a sub-snob, but I can recognize a good dub. Sorry dub-lovers, but I think even some of the most celebrated dubs are pretty terrible. Cowboy Bebop's dub was awful, and the Evangelion dub was trash.

Gundam Wing's dub wasn't great, but I think it stands up better against the original than most dubs. Then again, the original dubbing wasn't so great, itself.

I will name one dub I think was actually good: Kiki's Delivery Service. Well, it was mostly good. I didn't care for the insert songs and the occasionally loose-with-the-script dialogue, but I can let them slide. The REAL problems, though, come in the choice of Phil Hartman to play Jiji (Mr. Hartman was one of my favorite actors, but COMPLETELY wrong for this role.) and the addition of some poor and completely inappropriate music over what was supposed to be a quiet, poignant scent. Other than that, I thought it was excellent. For a dub.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-06-17, 01:14   Link #10
james0246

@Phlaw, admit it is, your dislike of dubs stems from the fact that you are from Austin and ADV Films is in Houston. Everyone knows about the Austin v Houston rivalry :sarcastic:.

As to the issue at hand, I have to say that the words coming out of the characters mouth ultimately do not matter (at least from an acting perspective, it is not the words that matter, but the emotional context of the words). Rather it is images and the inflections of the characters speech that matter. So, from that perspective, either English or Japanese can be enjoyable and understandable, and, much the same as a Shakespearian character can be played different due to the actors, the representation of an animated character is much the same and while the character can at times be different they can also be equally enjoyable. What is really important then becomes the level of the actor as well as the level of the voice director, if both are good, then undoubtedly the dub will be good, if one or both are bad...well then you get Noein .

Other good dubs:

Trigun - another great dub where the male characters (especially Richard Cansino's portrayal of Legato Bluesummers which is more than equal to Toshihiko Seki's portrayal) are significantly better than the femal characters.

Princess Tutu - an extrememly well done dub in which all of the characters are voiced very appropraitely and devoutly. Very nicely done and often equal to the original.

edit: lol, meant to write Dallas, but instead wrote Austin...I have no idea why I did that, sorry Phlaw.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-06-17 at 01:26.
Old 2008-06-17, 01:22   Link #11
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
<--- Is from Dallas.

I went to Texas Tech to, so to be called "from Austin" is kind of an insult (Hates UT)

haha no offense taken whatsoever tho

also, thanks for reiterating my point, more or less
Old 2008-06-17, 05:20   Link #12
Vegard Aune

Quote:
I've heard from many people of how English dubs for animes suck. The most infamous one in mind is the 4kids dub of One Piece.
By comparison, the FUNimation-dub of One Piece is excellent. They've pretty much gotten EVERYTHING right there. Or maybe I just think so because it's so incomparably much better than the 4Kids-dub. Naruto, Bleach and Death Note also have fairly good dubs. Not perfect, but they certainly serve their purpose.
Old 2008-06-17, 05:48   Link #13
Zippicus

Most of the dubs for the shows they put on Adult Swim are pretty good, at the very least they're watchable.
Old 2008-06-17, 05:54   Link #14
Happy_Chip

good dubs

Good dubs, IMHO:

-Steam Boy

-Read or Die (OVA)

-Lost Universe (it's more comical with the dub, but I took exception over some of the dialogue changes between dub and sub).

-Snow Fairy Sugar

-Nausicaa (although Ghibli was mentioned already, I'll single this out as a worthy dub)

-Maison Ikkoku (sp? although I watched only a small part of this series, I thought the dub was well done).

Good dubs do exist. But they take a director who has a good feel for the source material, and voice actors who can really ACT. Usually (pardon me) you get hacks who don't understand the nuances of the material.

And in the case of Steam Boy for instance, you have characters speaking with european accents, and this makes the dub better (=enhances the original story the movie is trying to tell) than the original dialogue.
Old 2008-06-17, 05:56   Link #15
KidKaBOOM
Master of Cheese

Send a message via AIM to KidKaBOOM
I rather enjoyed the Samurai Champloo dub as well.
Old 2008-06-17, 06:22   Link #16
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Favorite dubs of mine that haven't been mentioned yet:

Full Metal Panic series-I can't watch the sub. I CANNOT.
Night Walker
Shinesman
Nerima Daikon Brothers
My Dear Marie
Tenchi Muyo!
Magikano
Master of Mosquiton!
Mahou Tsukai Tai!
Dragon Half
Saiyuki (by ADV, not the second one by Geneon who SUCKS)
Sorceror Stabber Orphen
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki
Puni Puni Poemi (although Poemi's voice is harsh on the ears....)
Comic Party (the first series. The second one's dub is pretty bad)
Negima (Some people hated this dub but I loved it. The script was hysterical and the voices were well-chosen. The accents were win.)
Berserk

Quote:
-Lost Universe (it's more comical with the dub, but I took exception over some of the dialogue changes between dub and sub).
Couldn't stand Kane's voice. Heard it and said "PHAIL".
Old 2008-06-17, 09:46   Link #17
Echoes

I never even try to watch dubs anymore, but I still have one recommendation for you.

Golden Boy.
Here's an anime that's actually funnier with the English dub. It really goes all out.
Old 2008-06-17, 10:09   Link #18
digitalmaster287

Five dubs that I liked moreso than the original were Full Metal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin and Gundam Wing. FMA just seemed to fit more in the dub than in the original. Yu Yu Hakusho I watched the dub first and it just seemed like the casting was done properly. DBZ and Rurouni Kenshin there was no contest because the original voices made my ears bleed. Seriously, they all sound like girls, especially when they do their power up scream...Though, Frieza had an awesome voice in the original. And Gundam Wing was just plain awesome in the dub, Heero was just too badass.
Old 2008-06-17, 10:45   Link #19
Amray

I do not watch dubbed Anime anymore, although when I did their were some that were done well.

Mostly Full metal Alchemist, Gunslinger Girl and Elfen Lied. This was probably because they were all serious and depressing Anime series'. Therefore the voice actors did not put on stupid voices trying to make the Anime more childish and funny...which it does not.

That is probably why people prefer the original Japanese dialogue; because they have serious voices that they do not put on and speak more seriously, making the impact on the Anime a lot more better to watch.
Old 2008-06-17, 11:29   Link #20
Nemuru

Quote:
Well the matter of Dub anime is subjective and bias by many. Fans of sub or Fans of Dub, While there are alot of decent dubs I always hold the view that your initial perception of a characters voiced will never change. Watching a dub being different will create some kind of disorder as people can associate less their familiar characters.

I don't think Animesuki is the right place to ask this, you should give ANN a try and ANN review includes a dub review track and grading system, just bear in mind its from another persons perspective who watches Dub anime.

anyway for my list.
As some have already mention
Magikano, a rather fun dub with lots of profanity in english. I also recommend you give sunabouza a try aka Desert Punk.

Kaleido Star is one my favourite dub, Sora is enthusiastic and the Sarah British accent is a fun treat to listen.

I, my me Strawberry eggs is quite a delightful series with Crispin Freeman playing male Hibiki, Carrie Savage is one of the well known VA that plays a great quiet, shy type female voice. Note, 'I my me strawberry eggs' uses Honorific in the dub verison uses of –san, -kun, sensei are uses in the dubbing as well as other Japanese word like kyoshi (gym teacher), bento ectera.
Closed Thread