AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-17, 12:16   Link #21
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I've always thought of Mushishi and COwboy Bebop having some of the best Dubs. Besides those some other ones I thought were good dubs were for Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho, Neon Genesis, and pretty much all the Miyazaki movies.

I've never been really picky with dubs as for me most of them are bearable.
Old 2008-06-17, 16:09   Link #22
Happy_Chip

Gokudo (sp?) was another comedy series that I thought had a good dub.
Old 2008-06-17, 16:32   Link #23
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Best dub I've ever heard? Patrick Stewart in Steamboy. Now I could care less about the actor (I'm neither a trekkie or an x-men fan), but good god, he knows how to do dubs. While sure it may have been a fluke (as to my knowledge that's the only major role he ever was casted for), to me with that performance, he has beaten every single Japanese seiyuu I've ever heard.

And yes, I'm a pro-sub anime watcher.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-06-17, 19:09   Link #24
ellifeedn
Thinker

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and knowledge on dubs and I want you to know that I don't think that all English dubs are bad.

I suppose Disney knows how to make some good dubs because they've been in the animation business since its start and know that excellent voice actors are needed for the many cartoons that it produces.

Last edited by ellifeedn; 2008-06-17 at 21:17.
Old 2008-06-17, 20:12   Link #25
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Hayao Miyazaki once mentioned during an interview that he preferred to have his movies dubbed in English for American audiences, because all anime is dubbed in the first place - yes even the original Japanese voices. Watching a dubbed movie allows you to concentrate on watching the details of the animation, rather than being distracted with the subtitles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk
So, from that perspective, either English or Japanese can be enjoyable and understandable, and, much the same as a Shakespearian character can be played different due to the actors, the representation of an animated character is much the same and while the character can at times be different they can also be equally enjoyable.
Miyazaki agrees. He openly admits to not being particularly fond of the Japanese voices for his adult female characters, because seiyuu tend to make them sound more coquettish than he intended.

Personally, my favourite Disney-dubbed Ghibli movie is Porco Rosso. Michael Keaton played the cynical eponymous character surprisingly well. And Susan Egan was especially good as the chanteuse who loved him. The best performance easily came from David Ogden Stiers, who played Piccolo, the wizened aircraft engineer. And if you thought the English cast was good, wait till you hear the French cast. Jean Reno provided the perfect gravelly "Humphrey Bogart" voice that Miyazaki wanted for Porco Rosso.

To be sure though, I seldom watch anime dubbed in voices other than Japanese. The other few good "foreign language" dubs that I remember are from Cowboy Bepop and Neon Genesis Evangelion (not the English dub, but the Cantonese version, which is easily as good as the Japanese original).

Actually, whenever I read criticisms about how English voice actors "suck" in comparison to "superior" Japanese seiyuu, I'm tempted to ask if the naysayers have tried watching English programmes dubbed in Japanese. After watching such programmes, I challenge them to tell me if they'd still think so highly of their cherished seiyuu.

In the end, even the best actors performing the best translated screenplays cannot recapture all the myriad subtleties of a foreign-language movie or TV show. Certain cultural elements will never translate well in another language, no matter how hard producers try. The trick to enjoying a dub comes from not comparing it to the "original", but to evaluate it with ears unblocked by cultural chauvinism.
Old 2008-06-17, 23:42   Link #26
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Actually, whenever I read criticisms about how English voice actors "suck" in comparison to "superior" Japanese seiyuu, I'm tempted to ask if the naysayers have tried watching English programmes dubbed in Japanese. After watching such programmes, I challenge them to tell me if they'd still think so highly of their cherished seiyuu.
I'll be the first to admit that there is awful dubbing both ways.

Part of this is simply the way things are. Delivery and style in Japanese and English are very, very different. It's hard enough to translate into subtitles, but voices make it all the harder. I do think this is why Kiki's Delivery Service and Gundam Wing dubbed as well as they did: The dialogue was not very "Japanese" from the start. (Sorry, Cowboy Bebop dub fans, but while the plots and visual style of CB were American-inspired, the dialogue was quite Japanese. It gets no pass!)

The other part really IS a lack of talent, though, in both direction and acting. Look at pretty much any animated film that's been released in American theaters to see dubbing done right. Budget isn't what's holding back the studios doing anime dubbing. For proof of that look at the salaries across the industry. There are SOME who do things right (Scott McNeil!), but the lack of results across the board is something the dub producers should be ashamed of.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-06-18, 01:32   Link #27
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Part of this is simply the way things are. Delivery and style in Japanese and English are very, very different. It's hard enough to translate into subtitles, but voices make it all the harder. I do think this is why Kiki's Delivery Service and Gundam Wing dubbed as well as they did: The dialogue was not very "Japanese" from the start. (Sorry, Cowboy Bebop dub fans, but while the plots and visual style of CB were American-inspired, the dialogue was quite Japanese. It gets no pass!)
Eh, may be it's because I was exposed to it first, but the oft-cited Cowboy Bebop dub sounds perfectly fine to me. It felt natural, like the voice and the character belonged together; and that's the most important aspect in a dub by far in my opinion.

Moreover, can you elaborate on this "Japanese" quality of the Cowboy Bebop conversations compared to Gundam Wing? Frankly, I don't quite get it.

But yeah, the same dubbing style that made Kim Possible so delightful (So not the drama! ...ahem) wouldn't work with most anime.
Old 2008-06-18, 03:20   Link #28
Vagrant0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I'll be the first to admit that there is awful dubbing both ways.
Indeed, all it takes is finding one really bad dub, and you suddenly appreciate all the so-so ones a bit more.

And again, besides the obvious, the reason why fandubs don't usually pan out is because there aren't many doing them that can actually pull it off. But mostly it's that time, complexity, budget, overall presence thing.

As far as dubbed anime goes, from what hasn't been said, Galaxy Angel and Initial D aren't too bad, although I did find myself switching back to the subs a few times... Mostly in Initial D, the changed music just didn't do it for me. Both are liscensed, so might be worth a rent, or borrow.
Old 2008-06-18, 05:31   Link #29
SolarNova
Alone in the dark

Most of the time dubs suck ..period.

However the dubs i have liked luckily are ones i first saw as dubed like:

GiTs
OutlawStar
Tenchi Muyo (i personaly think Ryoko's Jap voice is to deep)
DragoballZ (though the amount of times they changed voice actors was very annoying, some were good some were terrible)

I could easily watch them in Sub and probably like them better as sub but iv watched them in Dub and those are the voices i hear when i picture the chars in my mind.

I could never go from somthing i originaly started watching in Jap to watching it dubbed it just will never be better. Like Vagrant0 said with Inital D .. changing the music just dont work.

The one problem I find when buying anime in England is being able to get the full audio (5.1 or better i.e. DTS) in Japanese. I just bought Appleseed 1 and 2 .. the first is in Jap 5.1 & DTS however the second is only in English 5.1 or German 5.1 >.<.

Another example would be Full Metal Panic. I bought that on DVD and again that is only in Jap in 2.0 stereo. for 5.1 it needs to be English.

Thats why most of my anime is fan subs.. only problem there is that you dont have an original for display and it takes space on ur hard-drive

Iím waiting for all of the Black Lagoon & Second Barrage to come out in England and Iím hoping that 1) the subs are accurate and 2) its all available in full Jap 5.1 or better. However if play.com is anything to go by Iíve got a looong wait
Old 2008-06-26, 15:32   Link #30
Heliopolis
hodie mihi, cras tibi

mobile suit Gundam Seed is a decent dub
Old 2008-06-26, 23:41   Link #31
Usami Haru
Mr. Broshido
*Graphic Designer

The Big-O has to be the best dub I ever seen. Even as a non native english speaker anime fan, I thought it was far better than the original Japanese.
It also fitted a lot better the Mecha action scenes (Like "It's Showtime, Big-O!") and the atmosphere/style the show tried to accomplish, that was very...I don't know..Batman like (But with mechas! lol), so yeah it seemed more natural.

And I tried to watch the original Japanese, but switched to de dub in the end lol .

But yeah, that's one of the exceptions, Most of the dubs suck. Even the spanish ones, damn, those really really suck, The only one that was tolerable for me at least was the Nadesico spanish dub.

PS: If this post doesn't make any sense, is because my english is really bad, sorry ;_;
Old 2008-06-27, 00:16   Link #32
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

full metal panic, ah my goddess, onegai teacher, azumanga, friuts basket, haruhi suzumiya, they have good dubs, but once you hear the jap in comparison, its hard to convert back to dub.

Last edited by kk2extreme; 2008-06-27 at 01:18.
Old 2008-06-27, 07:10   Link #33
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I've heard from many people of how English dubs for animes suck. The most infamous one in mind is the 4kids dub of One Piece. I'm wondering if there are English dubs that don't suck and are decent. One that I have in mind would be Outlaw Star.
Actually, most English language dubs put out in the last 10 years don't "suck".

The stuff put out by 4Kids does not suck becuase it's a dub, it sucks because it is extensivly edited and rewritten to make it more "americanized" and "child friendly". That sort of butchery is not the norm, and most anime from other companies are released in the US unedited and with the dialog at least approximating the Japanese original.
Old 2008-06-28, 19:54   Link #34
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

like shin-chan, i really dont like the alteration of the jokes and names, the "americanization" of the show really destroy a very great show. (dont get me wrong, they do have decent dubs)
Old 2008-07-03, 03:49   Link #35
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I love dubs. In fact, most dubs nowadays impress me more than Japanese subs. I'm not sure whether the fault lies with the voice dubbing directors or the voice actors/actresses themselves, but most subs either sound forced or unnecessarily cute or "bishie"-fied to me.

But I digress. So far, the best english dub I've heard would have to be Princess Mononoke (along with other ghibli films). Gods, the acting there, Minnie Driver especially, was orgasmic. For the more recent anime, Mushishi and Le Chevalier D'eon are amazing as well; there's just something not right with watching Chevalier in Japanese. GitS:SAC and Ergo Proxyare not far behind, of course.
Old 2008-07-03, 19:58   Link #36
Dusk_
Forever Fallen

Send a message via MSN to Dusk_
Along with many of the ones already recommended...

Eureka 7 had great dub work. I definitely prefer the dub over the sub, mainly because every time I hear English names (which is everyone) said in Japanese I can't help but cringe. "Lenthon" instead of "Renton", for example.

Black Lagoon is basically a series that has to be dubbed. Hearing Japanese from the majority of the characters makes me twitch, just because it feels so out of place.

Dubbing is perfectly fine for me when the scripts stay true to the source material (no Americanization, etc.) and the actors don't try replacing accents with other ones.
Old 2008-07-03, 22:02   Link #37
devildog23
Summerlurking

Rurouni Kenshin was dubbed magnificently (except maybe for a few peoples' voices, like the akabecko with the texas accent). Kenshin's voice was probably the best fit. I personally like the dub more than the sub
Closed Thread