AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-11, 03:04   Link #261
iceyfw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 25
LOL @ getting kicked in the nuts in episode one.

And I am going to guess Junichi has a split personality?
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 10:10   Link #262
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 2
Spoiler:
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 15:35   Link #263
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
What can i say ... while episode 1 left me largely hopeful, this one left me largely disappointed. While episode 1 managed to give a bit of a fresh feel to the concept and characters, this one was quite lacking innovation with the direction the characters are headed and the events that took place. We get all the usual stuff of the "rich sheltered girl out in the wilds for the first time", With Yuuhi exploring the unknown that is a supermarket for her, as well as the kitchen and messing with all the gadgets there (ultimately triggering a blackout).

I would have been all fine with that, if not for one (two ..three?) factors - the character personalities and how they have changed (relatively) compared to ep1. As of now it feels the episode 1 was a happy delusion, but now its time to wake up and face the cold, harsh reality.

While Yuuhi seemed like a pretty interesting and 'normal' character personality wise at first, now it is clear we are in for a semi-brash tsundere treatment. Which is something i do not appreciate.

The guy himself ... he seemed more 'playfully' clueless yet ultimately fairly good natured at first, but now he comes off as a bit of an obnoxious brat first and foremost. Definitely not a welcome change on my part.

And the dynamic between the two ... is like being forced to listen to someone scratching nails on a blackboard, while you grind your teeth. There was very much appreciated chemistry in episode 1, now all i felt is irritation for the most part.

Minato is probably the only major character i find overall likable, though even she managed to undergo a wee bit of a personality change and annoyed me once or twice as well ... though she remains leaps and bounds above the two other leads.

Overall ... if this is the true face of the main cast, then i am quite disappointed and feel a bit cheated by the first episode. For the moment i feel a dangerous lack of likable characters ... Minato is the only thing that will be having me come back for more, but i am not sure how long that would sustain me. It is a necessity for me to like the characters in such a show, and that doesn't seem very likely to happen here if this keeps up.
__________________

Last edited by Skyfall; 2008-10-11 at 15:53.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 15:55   Link #264
uis
...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hekiyou Gakuen Student Council
Age: 25
Yeah... I know your feel...
They so different in first episode...

Actually it all I expected...
Kugimiya Rie is Yuuhi seiyuu so Yuuhi expected to have dere-dere personality...

And I agreed with Deathkillz...
If eroge adaptation the main male character usually little pervert...

Anyway I played it VN before so I didnt surprised...
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 16:08   Link #265
tbl
Affably Evil
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hammerspace or Australia, I forget which
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
What can i say ... while episode 1 left me largely hopeful, this one left me largely disappointed. While episode 1 managed to give a bit of a fresh feel to the concept and characters, this one was quite lacking innovation with the direction the characters are headed and the events that took place. We get all the usual stuff of the "rich sheltered girl out in the wilds for the first time", With Yuuhi exploring the unknown that is a supermarket for her, as well as the kitchen and messing with all the gadgets there (ultimately triggering a blackout).
But because of Minato's deadpan delivery (especially with the points card, smiling without changing the tone of her voice and saying "you don't understand a word I'm saying" or something to that effect).

And the scene where Yuuhi is saying she learnt her lesson about pressing buttons whilst pressing the button continuously on the hair dryer was pretty funny.

Maybe it's because I don't watch to many series like this or the hint, Jun's somewhat (but probably not really that) dark past, or because I like series where the male and female leader bicker/fight/hate each other/etc. but I'm enjoying it so far, a lot more than Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu which I stopped watching after a couple of episode.
__________________
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 16:36   Link #266
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
But because of Minato's deadpan delivery (especially with the points card, smiling without changing the tone of her voice and saying "you don't understand a word I'm saying" or something to that effect).

And the scene where Yuuhi is saying she learnt her lesson about pressing buttons whilst pressing the button continuously on the hair dryer was pretty funny.
I wouldn't really call her delivery as deadpan, and the card scene was actually among the ones i liked the most in this episode. What i primarily didn't like about her was her being all friendly with Yuuhi after the "armlock" scene, even though that one was Yuuhi's fault to begin with.

Quote:
Maybe it's because I don't watch to many series like this or the hint, Jun's somewhat (but probably not really that) dark past, or because I like series where the male and female leader bicker/fight/hate each other/etc. but I'm enjoying it so far, a lot more than Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu which I stopped watching after a couple of episode.
I don't think Haruka and this are all that comparable in regards to what they are trying to present us with, but ... if you enjoy seeing the leads 'fight', then it should come as little surprise you found this episode appealing - after all it is providing an element you find fun to watch.

For me though, the character personalities are various degrees of annoying, and i find chemistry utterly lacking. I came her expecting to see some relationship growth and 'normal' interactions, not having yet another annoying tsundere (yes, i absolutely detest tsunderes) and a bratty male lead grit my nerves for a prolonged period of time, which is the direction it seems to be heading. In fact i would argue they have simplified and 'dumbed down' both Yuuhi and Jun, so they can bring us the usual bickering antics. Who knows, i might be proven wrong in the upcoming episodes, but if it continues like this for a while, soon enough i won't be around to care anymore. After all i watch anime to be entertained, not annoyed, and this episode accomplished the latter much better than the former for me.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 16:45   Link #267
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
what was with that action bit in the middle? i know they're his parents, but still, so random.

anywho, his sister has great design. and you can tell she clearly cares for Jun-ichi and is clearly bothered when yuuhi says maybe you're not siblings
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 16:46   Link #268
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Hmm.

Call me suspicious, but the friendship Minato/Yuuhi won't last till the end of the show. I'm already willing to make this call. They are a little bit toooo easygoing with each other.

Likewise, somehow I don't think that the Yuuhi-Junichi tiff will last throughout the entire show. Yes, she's still riled up, but I believe that this is going to subside sooner or later.

(Or maybe I'm reading the show completely wrong)
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 16:55   Link #269
tbl
Affably Evil
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hammerspace or Australia, I forget which
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I wouldn't really call her delivery as deadpan, and the card scene was actually among the ones i liked the most in this episode. What i primarily didn't like about her was her being all friendly with Yuuhi after the "armlock" scene, even though that one was Yuuhi's fault to begin with.
I would call it deadpan because she didn't change the tone of her voice, nor her expression. That and it doesn't reflect what she was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
For me though, the character personalities are various degrees of annoying, and i find chemistry utterly lacking. I came her expecting to see some relationship growth and 'normal' interactions, not having yet another annoying tsundere (yes, i absolutely detest tsunderes) and a bratty male lead grit my nerves for a prolonged period of time, which is the direction it seems to be heading. In fact i would argue they have simplified and 'dumbed down' both Yuuhi and Jun, so they can bring us the usual bickering antics. Who knows, i might be proven wrong in the upcoming episodes, but if it continues like this for a while, soon enough i won't be around to care anymore. After all i watch anime to be entertained, not annoyed, and this episode accomplished the latter much better than the former for me.
I guess I'd be annoyed too if I thought that's all there was to Junichi, but then he has that past hinted at and I really do like leads with a dark or tragic past like Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Black Cat, Ubel Blatt, Shin Angyo Onshi, Code: Breaker, etc. I know it's not going to be like that because those are action series and are particularly tragic, but I like the idea. Also, there was his first scene at the beginning of the episode and he is still somewhat of a more responsible lead than in most series. Or then again, I may be numb after watching the main character from Chaos;Head who was utterly pathetic in every way .

Also, I like Tsundere female leads. Especially when the male lead doesn't just take it or teases her (like Kyon/Haruhi and unlike Saito/Lousie).

It may not be a masterpiece, but it's still decent and entertaining enough in itself and it has the sought of tropes I like in a series.
__________________
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 17:07   Link #270
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well not that surprised with Yuuhi in episode 2. She went in there wanting to hate the guys guts anyways. Her whole reason for going was to find enough flaws that she could present and thus get out of the engagement. Taking of the first kiss definitely helped to cement her position. Guess the question is how long it takes to break through that stance.

Suppose one thing that threw me was the arm lock tips being handed out by Minato. You'd think she'd be a little more concerned about the safety of her brother .
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 17:20   Link #271
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
I guess I'd be annoyed too if I thought that's all there was to Junichi, but then he has that past hinted at and I really do like leads with a dark or tragic past like Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Black Cat, Ubel Blatt, Shin Angyo Onshi, Code: Breaker, etc. I know it's not going to be like that because those are action series and are particularly tragic, but I like the idea.
Unless i am completely wrong, i wouldn't read too much in to it or expect much coming from his supposed 'lonely past'. At best we are likely to get Minato explaining at some point how 'living alone' has reflected on his curent personality, but it is unlikely to be anything more than that.

Quote:
Also, there was his first scene at the beginning of the episode and he is still somewhat of a more responsible lead than in most series. Or then again, I may be numb after watching the main character from Chaos;Head who was utterly pathetic in every way .
I wouldn't call him more responsible at all. In fact, i would say he was behaving significantly more 'childishly' than most male leads out there. He definitely has a streak for immaturity, best seen at moments like when Minato was scolding both of them, yet he still took a kiddish jab at Yuuhi. (Chaos head is a whole different kettle of fish altogether ). Second episode largely ruined whatever positive impression i had of him after the first. I can only hope this is not here to stay (same for Yuuhi), but i fear my hopes will be in vain.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 18:06   Link #272
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Well that was just about the most normal episode I've ever seen...Usually I'd go with the old standby of cliche for an catchall, but I think it's minato's fault that all I can think of when I look at this episode is "Normal".

So I'm pretty neutral on it altogether...Some fun moments I guess. I think DKZ summed it up best...It's pretty much just a "normal watch".
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 18:48   Link #273
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
I'm not sure what to think so far. Given the start this show had I wasn't expecting the classic tsundere/blockhead relationship that it looks like we're going to get. It really looked like they had their sights set a little higher than that.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 18:58   Link #274
Salamandra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
That advise given about the armbar was completely wrong.
__________________
Salamandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 20:14   Link #275
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
btw I love the main characters sister hehehe <3

"decent" anime so far, good relax anime.
altho the art.....is like that 'typical' eroge-->anime adaption thrown together feeling. dunno how to explain it.
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 20:20   Link #276
Salamandra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
btw I love the main characters sister hehehe <3
Yeah, she's so nice and generally useful, and when on the bike looked so tiny.

...~desu
__________________
Salamandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 20:45   Link #277
uis
...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hekiyou Gakuen Student Council
Age: 25
Duh... everyone begin to hate Yuuhi...

Mina-chi begin to popular anyways...

Nah... I hope story continue smoothly in good pace...
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 20:45   Link #278
nikorai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Hello. Just watched episode 2.
You know I was feeling like banging against the wall. It usually happens in 2 cases. First is when you don't understand something difficult (like studies) or when you see something lacking any common sense. This time it seems to be the latter case.
Maybe I didn't get into the mood, watched it right after toradora.

Mr Deathkillz compared this to da capo but it is like on the other end, da capo is overly too serious to the point that I tried to come up with jokes at the moments when one is supposed to get sobby and go for handkerchiefs.

On the other hand I just can't leave the show, Yuuhi is overly cute, after all.
__________________
Nick

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 21:35   Link #279
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to MercFH
TBH i think the main characters pretty funny lol
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 21:51   Link #280
tbl
Affably Evil
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hammerspace or Australia, I forget which
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Unless i am completely wrong, i wouldn't read too much in to it or expect much coming from his supposed 'lonely past'. At best we are likely to get Minato explaining at some point how 'living alone' has reflected on his curent personality, but it is unlikely to be anything more than that.
There's some violence I would think, even if exaggerated.
__________________
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, eroge, harem, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.