AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-20, 18:46   Link #1
Nervous Venus

Need more brain food.

I'm bored and am looking for something new (older or classic series would be a nice change also)

I'm looking for something thought - provoking like Planetes or Fantastic Children. Doesn't really matter which genre. My brain can only handle so much fluff.

Thanks in advance
Old 2008-06-20, 19:18   Link #2
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... going by your examples it-d seem you are referring more to serious adventure series rather than brain food. In that case, why don-t you give Ima, koko ni iru boku(english name now and then, here and there) a try? Though, despite the aforementioned series which in the end gave an optimistic, upwarming message the later is a little more pessimistic, but rest assured, it is quite good nonetheless.
Old 2008-06-20, 20:41   Link #3
Aporia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
I'm bored and am looking for something new (older or classic series would be a nice change also)

I'm looking for something thought - provoking like Planetes or Fantastic Children. Doesn't really matter which genre. My brain can only handle so much fluff.

Thanks in advance
I haven't seen either of those so I might be off base, but then again maybe...

Perfect Blue is a pretty good psychological thriller.
Higurashi no naku koro ni is mystery/horror where parts of the story unfold several times in various different ways, but each time it adds hints to what's really going on. Higurashi no naku koro ni kai is the sequel but it gives away the store, don't watch it first

You've probably already seen Neon Genesis Evangellion and Ghost in the Shell, I imagine? Both have a pop philosophy element going on, nothing super deep.

I'm pretty new here so, sorry if this is all too obvious.
Old 2008-06-20, 20:48   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy, or Lain: Serial Experiments in order of suggestion.

None of those series are fluff, especially Lain, which is downright hard to comprehend at times.
Old 2008-06-20, 20:50   Link #5
Frans

Noein, SE Lain, Welcome to N.H.K, Monster.
Sorry for the no explanation... kinda sleepy at the moment.
Old 2008-06-20, 22:09   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd suggest Dennou Coil or Ghost Hound if you're looking for recent thought-provoking series. They're both science fiction shows that try to have some, albeit at times tenuous, connection to reality. I'd endorse Frans's suggestions as well except for Lain which I haven't seen.

If you've never seen Twelve Kingdoms you should give that a try sometime as well. You need to stick with it for a while at the outset, but it gets remarkably powerful soon thereafter.

Baccano! is rather heady at times for an action comedy.

Finally, Moyashimon perhaps verges on the "fluffy" at times, but the microbiology is pretty interesting especially if you're into fermentation or aphrodisiacs.
Old 2008-06-21, 02:13   Link #7
Boogiepop12

Ok kino's journey is what you looking for if you want something to make you think for days AND days about the nature of people and society.
Boogiepop Phantom is up there with lain on had to understand but is worth watch( I would read the light novel Boogiepop and Others first to really understand it all.)
Bokurano is another one that dewells on yah for along time.
Kaiba is only like 8 eps in but is fantastic and beautiful both to watch and to think about.
Old 2008-06-21, 02:49   Link #8
sa547
*Author

Monster, no doubt. Best watched (as if you're reading a novel) from the first episode.
Old 2008-06-21, 03:36   Link #9
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

moyashimon is a good recommendation.
have u also seen spiral?
Old 2008-06-21, 10:34   Link #10
Phantasmagoria
†Mizore Shirayuki†
*Author

Thought-provoking? I got confused with Noein for the first half of episodes :x
Start to make sense in the next half, and the same thing goes to Baccano!, which involves complicated timelines
and rather difficult to grasp. Do not skip the opening theme as it will aid you in your memory.

Welcome to the N.H.K.. hmm, I am not sure if it is, but still worth a try.

Rosario + Vampire[Mizore].Spice and Wolf[Horo].
Hayate no Gotoku![Hinagiku].Hayate no Gotoku![Maria]
Old 2008-06-22, 05:21   Link #11
blewin

Mushishi for some wonderful life discoveries - look out for symbolism.

Honey and Clover for some wonderful lessons on life's crossroad.

The twelve Kingdoms for ideology vs reality.

Full Metal Alchemist (if you haven't already seen) for the answer to value of life.
Old 2008-06-22, 06:30   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you're interested in getting into deep discussions about psychology, science, even religion and other stuff, you should watch Haruhi.

Underneath the cover of a seemingly random anime, it actually lies deep messages that provokes lots of thinking. Especially when season 2 comes, the discussions will peak like never before.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-06-22, 12:37   Link #13
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
If you're interested in getting into deep discussions about psychology, science, even religion and other stuff, you should watch Haruhi.

Underneath the cover of a seemingly random anime, it actually lies deep messages that provokes lots of thinking. Especially when season 2 comes, the discussions will peak like never before.
On the flip side, it's also likely that many fans of Haruhi-esque series let their imagination run to freely and read too far into things, bringing out stuff which the producers never intended.
Old 2008-06-22, 14:22   Link #14
Aporia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
On the flip side, it's also likely that many fans of Haruhi-esque series let their imagination run to freely and read too far into things, bringing out stuff which the producers never intended.
But you have to give credit to any series which can make a joke about the baseball rosters and the Athenian electoral system work ... even if they made the usual error of assuming all of Greece worked like Athens.
Old 2008-06-22, 16:10   Link #15
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
Reminds me too of how many straws I was pulling when I wrote my very first impressions of Byousoku 5 centimeter
Old 2008-06-23, 11:22   Link #16
Nervous Venus

I've actually seen (and own, except for Haruhi which is on preorder):

Now and then, Here and There,
Monster,
Texhnolyze,
Welcome to the NHK,
Kino's Journey,
Twelve Kingdoms,
Honey and Clover,
Mushishi,
Noein,
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Haruhi

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Those are all great series, so I'm definitely looking forward to the other suggestions you gave. Definitely going to look into:

Moyashimon,
Kaiba,
Full Metal Alchemist (yep, haven't seen it yet),
baccano!,
dennou coil,
ghost hound,
SE lain,
Ergo Proxy,
Spiral ( I heard the ending was bad???)
Gits (yep, haven't seen it either!!)
Neon Genesis Evangelion ( sadly, the thinpak is still sealed)

I'll give these a try. Some of the licensed ones will be burning holes in my pockets. Hopefully they'll be worth it
Closed Thread