AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-06-25, 23:29   Link #1
ShadowX114
is my nickname

my burner became slow after installing a new IDE HD

Hello,
My computer consisted of two SATA harddisks and one IDE DVD burner, which was set as master. I was recently given an IDE HD so I thought I'd install it in my computer case, today.
When I first installed the HD, I left it as cable select while the burner was set as master. However, at bootup, I kept getting something like "There is no HD set as master, presss F1 to continue". Even though they were both working perfectly fine, I didn't want to press F1 everytime I turned on my pc. Thus, I made the new HD as master (instead of cable select) and made my burner as slave (instead of master). However, this created a problem, my DVD burner is now slower than before. Whatever I'm watching on my dvd burner became laggy. The same episodes play fine when I copy it to any of my HD but when I watch them directly from the DVD they become laggy. Obviously, copying a file from the DVD to my HD is slower than before. The copying process is also making my whole computer lagging. How can I fix the problem? Does setting the burner as cable select rather than slave change anything?
Old 2008-06-26, 00:51   Link #2
Takato88

Try Setting the HD with your OS as Master on IDE 1 and the burner on IDE 2 as Master and the new HD on IDE as Slave .....that should help if it doesn't try putting both HD on IDE 1
Takato88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 03:03   Link #3
Desu
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Do you only have the one IDE cable? If you have another it would be worth putting the DVD drive and HDD on separate channels.
Desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 04:35   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

Maybe you should check if the DVD burner has DMA turn on.

If you dont have that on. Any transfer will eat CPU time.
Old 2008-06-26, 12:30   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takato88 View Post
Try Setting the HD with your OS as Master on IDE 1 and the burner on IDE 2 as Master and the new HD on IDE as Slave .....that should help if it doesn't try putting both HD on IDE 1
He was originally using two SATA drives and an IDE DVD burner. His master drive is one of the SATA drives, which do not have cable select options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Do you only have the one IDE cable? If you have another it would be worth putting the DVD drive and HDD on separate channels.
This is good advice. IDE's big limitation is that all devices on the same line will go as slow as the slowest device that is connected. I'd imagine that the DVD burner is slowing things down, but I can't say for certain. I generally only connect HDDs to the same IDE line, and optical drives to the same optical line.

In order to prevent that bootup message, enter your BIOS and see if there's a way to make the SATA drives take priority. It sounds like your computer is set to examine any IDE drives first.