AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2008-06-22, 23:05   Link #1
redarrow5591

Unhappy Dell Latitude C610 & Compaq EVO N600C Problem

Alright, my mother's laptop won't Power on, stay on, allow to be moved (basically being a total *^%*@). At times when it won't power on, the caps lock led will flash about 5 times before shutting itself down again.

What is the problem, and can it be fixed.

ALSO......

I have a Compaq EVO N600C, great machine but whenever I plug it into a wall outlet, I get some serious feedback through the speakers and then after a few minutes it will cut off. I played with the plug and it worked partially (the adaptor tip was glowing) but after a while it did it. When I took the motherboard out, there was burnmarks around the jack.

Old 2008-06-23, 09:45   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by redarrow5591 View Post
Alright, my mother's laptop won't Power on, stay on, allow to be moved (basically being a total *^%*@). At times when it won't power on, the caps lock led will flash about 5 times before shutting itself down again.

It sounds like something is loose or there's a total system failure. How old is this system? Has it ever been dropped or handled roughly? Is it usually carried around or just used in one place?

Quote:
I have a Compaq EVO N600C, great machine but whenever I plug it into a wall outlet, I get some serious feedback through the speakers and then after a few minutes it will cut off. I played with the plug and it worked partially (the adaptor tip was glowing) but after a while it did it. When I took the motherboard out, there was burnmarks around the jack.

When you say "played with the plug" that makes me a bit nervous. Just what did you do, exactly? If there were burn marks around the motherboard and you were getting feedback on the speakers I wonder if the wiring in your house isn't faulty.

As for taking out the motherboard from a laptop, may I ask why you did that? It sounds like you'd be pretty good with computers, but I've met my share of people who took their laptops apart and had no idea how to handle the components properly.
Old 2008-06-23, 10:59   Link #3
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

RE: The Compaq

Power issues/burn - WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING STOP RIGHT NOW. DC input jacks are not supposed to glow, if it still work your laptop has more than likely fried the power input jack. It is now a fire hazard. Continued use risks damage not only to the motherboard but to yourself. Unless you have experience with PCB's, electronics and even then you need the tools, do not attempt to fix it yourself. Take it to a authorised repair center. I spent 2 years as an apprentice electrician and I wouldn't/couldn't do it. More than likely though a voltage spike has fried the motherboard/processor in entirety and will need to be replaced.
Audio issue - More likely that the issue is an EMI (electro magnetic interference) problem. More than likely that is a direct result of the incorrect voltage being fed through and causing your hardware to fail.

From what I read from your description this laptop is pretty much dead if it is not under warranty. The cost to repair will be expensive of not impossible as parts will be difficult to source.

for your other problem see
http://www.notebookforums.com/showth...postid=2836224

The lock lights are like beep codes on the C600 series (and some other) Dell notebooks. The codes (0 is off, 1 is on) for the C600/610/640 are:

0-0-1 --> Processor Failure (failed, missing or not seated correctly)'
0-1-0 --> Motherboard Failure (something integrated failed, could be a number of things)
0-1-1 --> Memory Failure (one or both of the DIMMs or memory slots)

My personal preference on troubleshooting Latitudes is to remove all the "extra" parts (drives, memory, battery, network and pcmcia cards, and modem) and boot with just the motherboard/cpu/video. You should get the error about memory (as described above). Next, put the memory in. If it boots (should get a "no bootable device found" error since the HDD is not in) then start putting pieces back one at a time and starting the computer until you find out which one is causing the problem.

If it still errors with just the memory, then swap the sticks of RAM around to try all combinations to see if its one particular stick or slot.

Bad news out of the way - You could probably part all those bits and pieces out on ebay and probably be close to having enough for an EEE
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2008-06-23 at 11:10.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 20:36   Link #4
redarrow5591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It sounds like something is loose or there's a total system failure. How old is this system? Has it ever been dropped or handled roughly? Is it usually carried around or just used in one place?

When you say "played with the plug" that makes me a bit nervous. Just what did you do, exactly? If there were burn marks around the motherboard and you were getting feedback on the speakers I wonder if the wiring in your house isn't faulty.

As for taking out the motherboard from a laptop, may I ask why you did that? It sounds like you'd be pretty good with computers, but I've met my share of people who took their laptops apart and had no idea how to handle the components properly.
Regarding the Dell:

Its my mother's and she has been rough with it. I know on several occasions where she dropped it of her lap and fell. The problems didn't really start until we sent it out to get the plug repaired and worked fine for about 12 hours after getting it back. It was being restarted for the first time that day when that error popped up.

Now to the Compaq:
All I did was move the plug around the outlet (I have three chargers, and i had the same problem with all three (the outlets wasn't the problem because i have it on a double surge protected outlet.)) When i took it out there was a noticable burn mark around one of the prongs and a noticable arch anytime i put the plug in (and before you start, i do know and have been trained to, take apart laptops in a static free enviroment, and to use caution.)

Both of these problems forced me to miss AnimeNext this past weekend.