AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-02, 00:19   Link #841
faust123
I Beat Cherry Blossom
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
What was forced? And by the way, the whole theater heard the clatter that Misaki made...
May be forced isn't the word. But we have nothing really to go on with touya's confession. Did you really ever have a hint of him feeling this strongly? And sure you could say that this was something surprising that we didn't know about, but there were almost ZERO hints and it felt totally out of left field for me. Re-watch this ep right before they agree to repaint the costumes - he rolls his eyes and the thought bubble shows "looks like it is going to be another all nighter". After seeing that attitude did you really expect him to confess his love for her 10 minutes later?

May be he has some wierd "love" attachment to each one of the girls (goddesses) and for some reason he is afraid to lose any of them. This is the only way right now I can really rationalize his confession because I personally feel like I have nothing else to go on.

The "forced" aspect (and this is more in terms of feasibility) was akira appearing like jesus out of no where. Had we not previously watched touya and misaki crawling for 10 minutes to get to where they were, akira appearing wouldn't have been as much of a WTF moment. Thinking about it a little more though, I don't think I'm bothered by his appearance as much as by his rather anti-climatic confession. It fell a bit flat with me. I'm not saying it had to be over the top dramatic, but after all this time and all this tension he just calmly says "i love you"?

I also need to rewatch to understand just what misaki means by punishment.

Final edit: it doesn't have to be ultra realistic but when it is staged in a setting that is mirroring the real world it is nice when things are sensical :b
faust123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 00:51   Link #842
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by faust123 View Post
May be forced isn't the word. But we have nothing really to go on with touya's confession. Did you really ever have a hint of him feeling this strongly? And sure you could say that this was something surprising that we didn't know about, but there were almost ZERO hints and it felt totally out of left field for me. Re-watch this ep right before they agree to repaint the costumes - he rolls his eyes and the thought bubble shows "looks like it is going to be another all nighter". After seeing that attitude did you really expect him to confess his love for her 10 minutes later?

May be he has some wierd "love" attachment to each one of the girls (goddesses) and for some reason he is afraid to lose any of them. This is the only way right now I can really rationalize his confession because I personally feel like I have nothing else to go on.

The "forced" aspect (and this is more in terms of feasibility) was akira appearing like jesus out of no where. Had we not previously watched touya and misaki crawling for 10 minutes to get to where they were, akira appearing wouldn't have been as much of a WTF moment. Thinking about it a little more though, I don't think I'm bothered by his appearance as much as by his rather anti-climatic confession. It fell a bit flat with me. I'm not saying it had to be over the top dramatic, but after all this time and all this tension he just calmly says "i love you"?
I think you misunderstood the meaning of Touya's confession. Ask yourself why Misaki actually rejected him. Were the expressed feelings truly genuine? You yourself seem to be taken back because you think that in terms of the story they are supposed to be, but rather they are fake and confused feelings. He does not truly love Misaki, and the evidence is the scene before she freaked out and hurt herself.

As for the Akira scene, this is just a little suspension of belief. If you are not willing to accept it, OK. To each their own.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 01:41   Link #843
Kabitzin
1/3 of the Sea Slugs Team
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by faust123 View Post
The "forced" aspect (and this is more in terms of feasibility) was akira appearing like jesus out of no where.
First off, Jesus didn't appear out of nowhere,
Spoiler for Bible: New Testament:


Second,
Spoiler for White Album 9:
Hope you like the abstinent life Akira!

I also agree that Yuki looked really evil in the flashback. Could have been the bad animation this episode though.
__________________
Anime Blog: Sea Slugs! Anime Blog

Manga Blog: Manga Mosaic

Last edited by Kabitzin; 2009-03-02 at 01:45. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Kabitzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 03:47   Link #844
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Chalk another one up for the wtf bandwagon. It's harder to empathize with any of these characters, not that it was ever easy in the first place, since their actions seem so random and whimsical. I'll finish the series just for the sake of finishing it. Hopefully they'll have some sort of coherent conclusion with the few episodes they have left.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 05:08   Link #845
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Ep 9

Well that was bewildering. I'm rather dumbfounded right now. The only thing I can think to say is that I'm looking forward to Crusader's take on this.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 05:12   Link #846
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouri View Post
I don't understand why people expect anime to be 100% realistic.

It's anime.
I see you're using the classic BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE REALISTIC, IT'S JUST A TV SHOW GUYS! GUYS!? defense. The funny thing with that though is that a great majority of the previous 40 or so pages of this thread have been spent arguing (at great length, I might add) that the show is extremely deep, realistic and believable, and also that it's subtle so you have to think for yourself to understand the motivations of the characters. What is happening now is that even the people who originally loved this show are finally starting to realize that it ISN'T deep and realistic, it's just generic harem show #32165 (with 5 or 6 different girls throwing themselves at the protagonist for no apparent reason other than "lol, harem") and what you took for subtlety was just shitty pretentious storytelling and bad character exposition.
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 05:19   Link #847
Sheba
Night Battle Oh La La
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I see you're using the classic BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE REALISTIC, IT'S JUST A TV SHOW GUYS! GUYS!? defense. The funny thing with that though is that a great majority of the previous 40 or so pages of this thread have been spent arguing (at great length, I might add) that the show is extremely deep, realistic and believable, and also that it's subtle so you have to think for yourself to understand the motivations of the characters. What is happening now is that even the people who originally loved this show are finally starting to realize that it ISN'T deep and realistic, it's just generic harem show #32165 (with 5 or 6 different girls throwing themselves at the protagonist for no apparent reason other than "lol, harem") and what you took for subtlety was just shitty pretentious storytelling and bad character exposition.
My face grinned so wide that it would need the Joker's help to make the grin wider.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 07:12   Link #848
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 9

Well that was bewildering. I'm rather dumbfounded right now. The only thing I can think to say is that I'm looking forward to Crusader's take on this.
I had to giggle at that ^_^ ... very true, very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I see you're using the classic BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE REALISTIC, IT'S JUST A TV SHOW GUYS! GUYS!? defense. The funny thing with that though is that a great majority of the previous 40 or so pages of this thread have been spent arguing (at great length, I might add) that the show is extremely deep, realistic and believable, and also that it's subtle so you have to think for yourself to understand the motivations of the characters. What is happening now is that even the people who originally loved this show are finally starting to realize that it ISN'T deep and realistic, it's just generic harem show #32165 and what you took for subtlety was just shitty pretentious storytelling and bad character exposition.
*shakes head* I'm not ready to admit that, Fluffy. I'll say that the last ep was pretty bewildering to me too, but the good old "paint with the broadest brush for maximum dissage" trick is way premature.

Anyway, this was the weakest episode BY FAR to me. It doesn't particularly help that I liked neither Misaki nor her arc to begin with, so I'll try to take comfort in the fact that we're hitting the good old "forcing the male lead to act strangely to make multiple paths fit" problem, but that was a very lackluster way of handling it. I hope that the remaining paths will have a better approach to incorporating things. Because this was really bad.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 07:48   Link #849
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouri View Post
I don't understand why people expect anime to be 100% realistic.

It's anime.
This is a drama based in the real world.. it should be as realistic as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabitzin View Post
Second,
Spoiler for White Album 9:
Hope you like the abstinent life Akira!

I also agree that Yuki looked really evil in the flashback. Could have been the bad animation this episode though.
Spoiler for Episode 9:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Anyway, this was the weakest episode BY FAR to me. It doesn't particularly help that I liked neither Misaki nor her arc to begin with, so I'll try to take comfort in the fact that we're hitting the good old "forcing the male lead to act strangely to make multiple paths fit" problem, but that was a very lackluster way of handling it. I hope that the remaining paths will have a better approach to incorporating things. Because this was really bad.
Spoiler for Episode 9:
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 07:59   Link #850
SageGaiGar
You are Next
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE USA
I need to wait for subs but...

Spoiler for touya/misaki:


*update* oh nice. Eclipse subs.

Finished!

I'll go against those who say this was a weak episode. It's anything *but* weak in its conclusion.

Last edited by SageGaiGar; 2009-03-02 at 10:03. Reason: subsget
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 10:25   Link #851
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Im not even going to try to sugar coat this one. I thought the episode was terrible and i had my face on the whole time. It felt like someone kept trying to force me to drink turpentine but kept telling me it water.

I no longer understand what drives these characters anymore and not without trying i watch each episode twice. Touya has no clue what the hell hes doing what the hell he is thinking at this point im surprised the guy can walk and have a thought at the same time. Misaki is just a basket case and decides to have confession and a mental break down within 5 min of each other. Touya confesses for no apparent reason followed a random and out of place confession from Akira a character with zero personality. Im sorry but many of these events made no sense and felt like they were being shoved down throat as contrived as the events were i was hoping for a strong finish near the end lets say it was somewhat lacking for my taste.

Apparently Yuki had an announcement but that was glanced over. Im thinking its about her new song but i find it hard to care what she has to say at all. Then there is Yayoi im so over this woman its not even funny. Nice way to not follow up with happened at the end of the previous episode. Her character is awful and the screen time wasted on her could have been used for character development for another character worth it being spent on.

I dont have high hopes for a strong finish at this point the last 3 episode better be earth shattering and lead me to nirvana or shangri la or White Album might end up my biggest disappointment this season.

I dont even know what to say anymore im just going to go back to face palming
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 10:40   Link #852
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
I guess I will say it again, but people are completely misunderstanding Touya in this episode. We need to remember that he feels backed up into a corner regarding his relationship with Yuki. His confession to Misaki is of the same strain of emotion as the kiss with ice queen the previous episode. It is his cop out, he is no longer able to deal with his broken down relationship with his supposed girlfriend. The reason it came after Misaki's confession was because he was stupid and did not realize her feelings for him. It was like a missed opportunity to truly feel like he can get out of his current situation and be done with it. If this was not the case, Misaki would not have rejected him at the last moment.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 10:46   Link #853
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Really we get it, you like the show, the show was made for you, allow people to disagree with you. Allow people to discuss, this is probably the lamest attempt of censorship I have ever seen. Get over the fact that a lot of people don't get the show, or *GASP* the show might not make sense at all!

I mean no wonder I couldn't understand touya, I didn't consult Reckoner the all knowing Touyaclopedia. How could I have made such a simple mistake! I dunno maybe if you get off your high horse and acknowledge other peoples opinions this show wouldn't be precieved to be such a hodge podge of random ideas to some. But oh wait your never going to do that, because clearly we the general masses, could not possibly understand the subltey or the intricacies of this masterpiece.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 10:51   Link #854
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Allow people to discuss, this is probably the lamest attempt of censorship I have ever seen.
The hypocrisy of this statement is well... lol.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 10:56   Link #855
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
What are you talking about, in your previous post you state that only you know what Touya's character is about, because clearly everbody before you is a retard, then when I make the arguement that all this stuff is contrived and very unrealistic, you state that there are many ways to interpret the show. You can't have stuff both ways, stop being a hypocritical elitist. You've clearly failed to clearly articulate your point yet you continue to spout it like its the gospel...
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 11:03   Link #856
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
What are you talking about, in your previous post you state that only you know what Touya's character is about, because clearly everbody before you is a retard, then when I make the arguement that all this stuff is contrived and very unrealistic, you state that there are many ways to interpret the show. You can't have stuff both ways, stop being a hypocritical elitist. You've clearly failed to clearly articulate your point yet you continue to spout it like its the gospel...
Sigh, I guess I need to inject words into my posts like "I think..." However I felt that was redundant since this is a forum to state your opinions. The one who is not being tolerant of other opinions though is yourself.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 11:07   Link #857
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
... ok... its kind of sad that you don't see your own hypocrisy but you know what power to ya. I never claimed to be a saint, but your hypocrisy is just too overwhelming not to comment on... white album is no where near as high brow as you make it out to be, lipstick on a pig still doesn't change the fact that its a pig. And you know what in all your posts you haven't once tried to convince me that white album is not a pig, so clearly you debating skills, or better yet your communications skills are quite poor, but hey your just gonna use, "i'm rubber and your glue, what ever you say bounces off me and sticks to you" adage fine, don't address the issue just deflect but the fact is you haven't convinced anybody

I'm done talking about this

Doesn't change the fact that the kettle is black to begin with

Last edited by Nosauz; 2009-03-02 at 11:25.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 11:18   Link #858
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
The pot is calling the kettle black here.

I tried to explain my interpretation of the character's actions in my post, there are no facts to discuss here, but rather just how us "viewers" see it. If you do not like my interpretation, fine, I am not here to please you.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 11:53   Link #859
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
White Album: serious business.
__________________
Just some old fart passing by in the wind.
tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 11:57   Link #860
Gohan78
Awakened One
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I guess I will say it again, but people are completely misunderstanding Touya in this episode. We need to remember that he feels backed up into a corner regarding his relationship with Yuki. His confession to Misaki is of the same strain of emotion as the kiss with ice queen the previous episode. It is his cop out, he is no longer able to deal with his broken down relationship with his supposed girlfriend.
This is still an unacceptable behaviour. If you are uncertain about your feelings for your girlfriend, you shouldn't go around screwing other girls! What about trying to confront your girlfriend for once, instead of wasting all the opportunities to have a good talk with her?
I really really really despise Touya. He is the worst kind of guy in my book. As easily swayed by the emotions of the moment as a leaf in the wind.
__________________
Tibi, magnum Innominandum,
signa stellarum nigrarum
et bufaniformis Sadoquae sigilim.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.