AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-05, 18:21   Link #101
Agitation
Circle of stars
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Agitation
This is my type of show, I'll admit the first 10 minutes was kind of boring but it suddenly picked up the pace for me. I just hope it gets better!

I seriously hate the situation where your loved one suddenly starts to move on in the world, it just brings apon that feeling of emptyness every time I watch these scenes in anime shows. ~_~;
__________________

The power of Geass brings loneliness…that’s not quite right is it, Lelouch?
Agitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 18:51   Link #102
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
So is this gonna be Aya's permanent voice this season or what because hearing it for the third time now I'm in danger of falling asleep...

Meh putting that aside I actually didn't mind the episode too much. The majority of the characters are awfully dull though, but the atmosphere helped to keep my attention.

Heres hoping for more Rina and less Yuki in the future...
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 19:02   Link #103
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Slow start, but then again, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien also started out slowly.

Interesting choice of background music, though... silent one moment, blaring the next.

Lots of fabulous characters. Hopefully they'll mesh well.
__________________


AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 19:07   Link #104
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Edit: Looking at screenshots at blogs though, it looks like the era setting of the story changed....
In the original game, it was in the near-future (with maid-robot references from To Heart), but they pushed back several decades to be late 80s.
I was gonna pass this up as "I'll watch it someday" pile, but I should go check out the first episode now. 80s is a lot more relatable era for me.
As someone told me before who's play the game, the game was set in the 90s where the anime is being set in the 80s. Hopefully we'll eventually hear the reason behind the change, though i hope it ends up being the reason why i believe it was done (which i've made quite clear in my posts so far about this show).
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 19:56   Link #105
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
That was until my friend told me that the male lead in this show is the most bastard male lead ever,only to be seconded by Makoto from School Days.Not really sure what he mean there but he tl;dr his comment by stating that White Album is the bloodless version of School Days.Hope i was hearing wrong about this part of White Album...
I was going to say that I'm liking the main character and the first episode until I saw this comment. I'm kinda wary of this show now. A bloodless School Days
__________________
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:10   Link #106
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
speaking of music, i adored the insert and the ED. especially the ED.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:48   Link #107
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Ep 1

It almost goes without saying there's going to be a lot of angst in this. None of it has been overt so far, but you can see it brewing under the surface. It's one good thing I can say about this anime, there's already multiple layers to this.

But I'm not going to jump the gun and call this a likely prospect, nor am I, in all honesty, bubbling with enthusiasm at this stage. It's not the fault of this show, but True Tears has pretty much shattered my faith that a serious romance anime with a mature and considered approach to storytelling will invariably be good. So I rue to make predictions about whether this will be good or not; for all we know it could end up being an overwrought angst session between a whole heap of erratic and unlikable characters begging the audience for their sympathy. At this stage, we know virtually nothing about these characters, but I'm fine with the story's slow pace. I tend to prefer anime with a slow pace.

Technically this show's really strong. The animation is fluent but the art style is appropriately muted. The directing is great, with lots of unconventional techniques which aid the storytelling but don't overwhelm and needlessly distract the audience. I do think Hirano is a miscast in all honesty, though. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is... I guess she seems a bit too "eager" for this more reserved type of role.

My opinion about this: let's see where they're going with this. It has the potential to be an excellent romance drama (and it's been way too long since we've had a truly excellent one), but potential means nothing if it can't pull it off.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:53   Link #108
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Wow... I'm floored by this episode.

Maybe it's partly because it's reminding me a lot of the classic J-dramas, like Hoshi no Kinka or Tokyo Love Story. Something about the setting, the way the plot progresses, or heck even the OP was nostalgic.

Sure, there were some 'blank' scenes in which I did a quick fast forward, but that's more because I want to know more what happens next moreso than because I was bored.

Probably the most interesting thing about this is the way they handled the main character's thoughts. Putting on screen his insecurities was a nice change of pace, especially when the dialogue is still going on (props to Eclipse for a job well done typesetting, since it looks like its going to be important here as it was in Chaos Head). Looking at promo material and the preview makes it look like Rina is also coming into the picture, and I can only wonder how the dynamic will change when his 'problems' with Yuki are like the very same ones he'll face with Rina.

All in all, it's like seeing a serious J-drama animated, and I haven't seen something like that since maybe, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. Here I thought winter '09 is going to be a slow season, but at least right now I have White Album to look forward to.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:55   Link #109
muncheez<3
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
This episode was pretty slow at first and i have a little patience issue but once the episode got going around the middle to end, it was good. I have a feeling the story is going to turn out good or its just my romance addiction but you can't resist Yuki because she's so cute, i hope Touya and Yuki can be together forever
__________________
SUPER MARU-CHAN
muncheez<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:55   Link #110
sirn
レス乞食
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
To those who say it's boring: just this first episode is more entertaining than any other AkaneIro-like or Da Capo-like show...
I suppose that those who where expecting something similar to the aforementioned series were let down, this first episode tells me that it's going to be more complicated and intriguing than that.
Seriously, please stop comparing this to another show. It's the whole different genre (Harem vs. Drama, Kids vs. Mature) and comparing them isn't going to change anyone's opinion. They found it's boring because it's boring, not because they found it's not something like the said series.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 21:11   Link #111
meh
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I wanted to watch a romance anime, and decided to give this show a try. After watching the 1st episode, I began having fears that Toya may be a horrible male lead. Looked it up on the net, and found him most compared to Makoto(School Days) and Takayuki(Kimi ga Nozomu Eien).

Suffice to say my interest in this show dropped instantly after that.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 21:29   Link #112
Peanutbutter
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Regarding spoilers (or not), well, I'm looking at it this way.

It's set in an earlier time. Most VN/eroge adaptations with similar themes (as far as I know) come up with their own and new storylines.

So until the whole thing is done, we don't really know what will happen. If we do know, I think we are still interested in how the whole end came about.

This series is fairly diverse from what I am watching thus far. The one thing I foresee that makes or breaks this series is the songs. We see a hint of it here and if the songs are good (As a certain fairly recent series which I didn't follow but I'm still hopelessly addicted to the songs), I think we're in for a ride.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 21:36   Link #113
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
I wanted to watch a romance anime, and decided to give this show a try. After watching the 1st episode, I began having fears that Toya may be a horrible male lead. Looked it up on the net, and found him most compared to Makoto(School Days) and Takayuki(Kimi ga Nozomu Eien).

Suffice to say my interest in this show dropped instantly after that.
He's very close to Takayuki, the type of idiot that can't say no to girls.
He's definitly not a "scum of life" Makoto type though.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 22:16   Link #114
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
He's very close to Takayuki, the type of idiot that can't say no to girls.
He's definitly not a "scum of life" Makoto type though.
Makoto isn't a scum of life though. Maybe in the anime, but far from that in the game... (Well, except a few routes...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Or is it the language barrier (no slight intended)?
It's definitely not that. From the comments I read in a JP site, there were also plenty of people having trouble figuring out what the story wanted to do. (Other compliments included insults towards Hirano and the protagonist, AKA positive Makoto)
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 22:17   Link #115
meh
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
He's very close to Takayuki, the type of idiot that can't say no to girls.
He's definitly not a "scum of life" Makoto type though.
Unfortunately, I don't really find Takayuki that much better. And considering the girls in this series are idols, a worthless wishy-washy male lead would make even less sense.

I'm hoping that since they're pushing this story again 11 years later, they might decide to make some changes for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Makoto isn't a scum of life though. Maybe in the anime, but far from that in the game... (Well, except a few routes...)
He is a scum in all the routes that people are interested in though. I actually found the routes where he wasn't a scum boring because of my preconceived view of him.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 22:27   Link #116
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
He is a scum in all the routes that people are interested in though. I actually found the routes where he wasn't a scum boring because of my preconceived view of him.
Feh... Which route are those? The bad ends? Even in those routes, Makoto doesn't usually go that far to be called scum.
Spoiler for game:
Of course, his ability to be indecisive is incredible in every route.
In other words, he has to be scum or it isn't interesting?... An unfortunate view of him. Makoto's a good person at heart! Really is sad people take his image from the anime and try to place it on him no matter where he goes...
Kinda feel sorry for the characters when you control their fate.
I guess you won't play Summer Days? Since Makoto's a nice guy there (yet again, except in a route or two).
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 22:52   Link #117
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
serenade, just to let you know, Makoto was considered a scum LOOOONG before anime was even aired.
You want me to link countless pages of the thread "worst male leads in eroge history" that predates that animated show?

Here you go.
http://metaverse.rilri.com/hgame/sit.../useless.shtml
Everything up to thread 15 predates the "nice boat" incident.

I think you're just incredibly tolerant of useless annoying male leads.
You remind me of my best friend, who keeps defending Takayuki saying "no, he's just fine! he's really just a nice guy!".
(to which I always return "uh... yeah, well, he's still a total loser. I'd RAPE him till he squeals like a pig, DMC style.")

Oh, and to stay in topic... Yes, Touya from White Album is also listed on those lists. Pretty high-up in the "loser protagonist" ranking too.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 23:59   Link #118
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I think you're just incredibly tolerant of useless annoying male leads.
You remind me of my best friend, who keeps defending Takayuki saying "no, he's just fine! he's really just a nice guy!".

[...]

Oh, and to stay in topic... Yes, Touya from White Album is also listed on those lists. Pretty high-up in the "loser protagonist" ranking too.
Here's the ironic part. I think a (the?) reason these male leads are so hated is because their stories focus, in part, on infidelity and the inability of the protagonist to be a sort of "one-girl-guy". They're considered worthless leads because they're so wishy-washy and spineless. And yet, when you take an eroge on a whole, you simply replay the game with mutliple alternate portrayals of the protagonist's decisions and romantic interests. So, the protagonist in the story is to be faithful, loyal, and decisive in every path, and yet the player gets to experience it every which way. When the protagonist is a "player", it's bad, but when the player is a "player", that's normal, because that's part of the game.

New initiative. I call it "Players against Promiscuity". When you buy an eroge, after a certain amount of time playing the common story, you must choose one, and only one, heroine for the protagonist to pursue a relationship with. One you've made this choice, you cannot unlock any of the other heroine paths. You can complete this path to the end, and then it's Game Over, with no ability to unlock any of the other paths. Any takers?

Oh snap. I know what this is starting to remind me of. Real life!

(This ironic moment brought to you by the Eroge Players Association, reminding you to enjoy life while you still can.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 00:30   Link #119
meh
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Feh... Which route are those? The bad ends? Even in those routes, Makoto doesn't usually go that far to be called scum.
Spoiler for game:
Of course, his ability to be indecisive is incredible in every route.
In other words, he has to be scum or it isn't interesting?... An unfortunate view of him. Makoto's a good person at heart! Really is sad people take his image from the anime and try to place it on him no matter where he goes...
Kinda feel sorry for the characters when you control their fate.
I guess you won't play Summer Days? Since Makoto's a nice guy there (yet again, except in a route or two).
It's been a while so I can't be sure of any specific examples(besides kind of hard to discuss this on an all-age forum), but you(the player as Makoto) can make a ton of choices that are simply plain horrible and disgusting by pretty much any standard.

aohige pretty much summed it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Here's the ironic part. I think a (the?) reason these male leads are so hated is because their stories focus, in part, on infidelity and the inability of the protagonist to be a sort of "one-girl-guy". They're considered worthless leads because they're so wishy-washy and spineless. And yet, when you take an eroge on a whole, you simply replay the game with mutliple alternate portrayals of the protagonist's decisions and romantic interests. So, the protagonist in the story is to be faithful, loyal, and decisive in every path, and yet the player gets to experience it every which way. When the protagonist is a "player", it's bad, but when the player is a "player", that's normal, because that's part of the game.

New initiative. I call it "Players against Promiscuity". When you buy an eroge, after a certain amount of time playing the common story, you must choose one, and only one, heroine for the protagonist to pursue a relationship with. One you've made this choice, you cannot unlock any of the other heroine paths. You can complete this path to the end, and then it's Game Over, with no ability to unlock any of the other paths. Any takers?

Oh snap. I know what this is starting to remind me of. Real life!

(This ironic moment brought to you by the Eroge Players Association, reminding you to enjoy life while you still can.)
For me, it has less to do with being indecisive and more to do with just being useless in general. As in, does he have any redeemable quality to him? If the answer is no, then pretty much no reason to root for the guy.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 01:00   Link #120
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
For me, it has less to do with being indecisive and more to do with just being useless in general. As in, does he have any redeemable quality to him? If the answer is no, then pretty much no reason to root for the guy.
I think it basically comes down to more or less the same thing in the end, doesn't it? Or at least it all revolves around the same central personality flaw, I think. The personality supports the plot, and the plot is driven by the personality. If he had redeeming qualities, he wouldn't have acted in the way that causes him to be so despised. So, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the two are intrinsically related; a sort of chicken-and-egg of personality and plot.

That being said, I wasn't intending that post to be too overly serious either. Plus, we should let the anime adaptation reveal whether this incarnation is as loathe-worthy as his game incarnation seems to have been in the eyes of some. To delve too much deeper into it would be getting into spoilers, I think.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.