AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 78 50.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 23.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 13.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 7.05%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.64%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-30, 07:15   Link #321
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Still won't mean he'll support her over Ranka. The most I can see him doing for Sheryl is giving her credit if ever he gets impressed by her feelings for Alto. If ever.
I only said convince Michael she's serious, not that Michael will put down his Ranka pom poms for Sheryl ones. Michael will probably end up neutral, Nanase's a lost cause (than again they could surprise me with this one dimensional character!) and Luca will go in what ever direction Nanase's breasts are pointing too. But out of those 3 Michael has the most chance of talking some sense into Alto so that's the important one.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-06-30 at 07:38.
Old 2008-06-30, 07:31   Link #322
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Funny, we don't know if the next episode is Memories of Global or Twilight Planet (per official website). But never mind that.

I'd like to believe Alto said "Goodbye" off-screen, although that is probably a no go. Sheryl looking up the sky as Alto left was depressing but for the most part, not off-character.

I still don't think Alto at this point knows what to feel about Sheryl or which actions he should take. That whole gig he had with Sheryl from 11 to 12 makes Alto look like a gleeful teenager more into what people give him than the persons themselves.

Reading over the Japanese bbs, people are seemingly going gaga over Sheryl too. ガンバレシェリル (Go for it, Sheryl!) posts are everywhere . Then there is that whole thing with "Dissection: Sheryl's personality!". Boy, do they love the Galactic Fairy (as much as I do).

I am certain Alto would realize how much he missed Sheryl's antics once he has been away from her for a while

But, before then, ガンバレシェリル!!!

- Tak
Old 2008-06-30, 07:41   Link #323
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Reading over the Japanese bbs, people are seemingly going gaga over Sheryl too. ガンバレシェリル (Go for it, Sheryl!) posts are everywhere . Then there is that whole thing with "Dissection: Sheryl's personality!". Boy, do they love the Galactic Fairy (as much as I do). - Tak
You know Kawamori is reading that stuff and thinking "Just as planned". Episode 12 is the beginning, they can really put Sheryl's character through the emotional grinder over the next 8-10. I'm guessing the episode she finally starts to "fight" and comes back with a blaze of glory in regards to music and Alto (I suspect she will deal with this at the same time!) she's going to find out about Grace using her, that or the episode after.
Old 2008-06-30, 11:29   Link #324
stray
aniki

Send a message via AIM to stray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Nanase's a lost cause (than again they could surprise me with this one dimensional character!) and Luca will go in what ever direction Nanase's breasts are pointing too.
She's got 2 dimensions. For that matter, I think Nana and Luca are alone now... there doesn't seem to be anyone around...

Quote:
I'd like to believe Alto said "Goodbye" off-screen, although that is probably a no go. Sheryl looking up the sky as Alto left was depressing but for the most part, not off-character.
This IS Alto we're talking about, come on people. Actually, I wonder if he even asked Michael to tell Ranka anything on the hill or if he just kind of took it upon himself... Michael is really growing on me, regardless.

Quote:
I still don't think Alto at this point knows what to feel about Sheryl or which actions he should take. That whole gig he had with Sheryl from 11 to 12 makes Alto look like a gleeful teenager more into what people give him than the persons themselves.
I doubt he took her very seriously at all until the bed scene. He still manages to fit in calling her a baka afterwards (maybe more justified than ever) but he's pretty clearly shaken. Of course, he's not very perceptive, but it's hard to misinterpret that...
Old 2008-06-30, 11:50   Link #325
magnuskn

Quote:
Reading over the Japanese bbs, people are seemingly going gaga over Sheryl too. ガンバレシェリル (Go for it, Sheryl!) posts are everywhere . Then there is that whole thing with "Dissection: Sheryl's personality!". Boy, do they love the Galactic Fairy (as much as I do).
Any chance that you could summarize their dissertation, seeing as you speak Japanese ( big envy here. )?

Quote:
But, before then, ガンバレシェリル!!!
Which means?

BTW, was it just me or did Schweinsteiger waste all his energy in the game against Portugal? Oh, well... at least he has someone nice waiting for him at home to get over the loss.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:00   Link #326
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Which means?
Go for it, Sheryl!( ganbatte Sheryl!)
Old 2008-06-30, 12:04   Link #327
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

Which means?
Tak provided the translation which is pretty much, "Go for it Sheryl!" or "make an effort, Sheryl!"

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼

Projekt MUSE is Back! Girls, Guns, Mecha and More!
http://www.projektmuse.com/

Lone Wolf's World of Popculture Goodies
Latest news on Comics, Manga, Anime, Video Game, Etc...
http://www.lw-concepts.com/lw
Old 2008-06-30, 12:04   Link #328
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Alto is a misguided and lost angsty teenager that makes decisions not based upon what other people feel but what he wants in that moment. All impulse decisions. And he's rather oblivious of what's going on around him in the emotional sense. I suppose he's your typical teenage male anime character who are almost always morons in most regards. So it's not that he's an asshole on purpose, he's an asshole by nature. So are most of these types of anime male characters.

This type of stereotyping with male characters is so bad and so over used that almost any main male character that is shown to be in touch with his female friend's emotions is considered a weakling or homosexual or very shounen ai. I for one don't like the stereotype as it's overused constantly.
Alto seems to be more of a pushover and a hot headed pilot than a misguided angsty teenager. He really hasn't thrown much of an emo fit till now, even then it was really brief if not a bit out of place. He is a bit stereotypically male when it comes to his insensitiveness towards the girls around him, but that's neither cliche nor overused....it's a bit normal.

edit - oh yeah, before I forget...ガンバレシェリル!!!

Last edited by cerrian; 2008-06-30 at 12:07. Reason: ガンバレシェリル!!!
Old 2008-06-30, 12:07   Link #329
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Alto is a misguided and lost angsty teenager that makes decisions not based upon what other people feel but what he wants in that moment. All impulse decisions. And he's rather oblivious of what's going on around him in the emotional sense. I suppose he's your typical teenage male anime character who are almost always morons in most regards. So it's not that he's an asshole on purpose, he's an asshole by nature. So are most of these types of anime male characters.

This type of stereotyping with male characters is so bad and so over used that almost any main male character that is shown to be in touch with his female friend's emotions is considered a weakling or homosexual or very shounen ai. I for one don't like the stereotype as it's overused constantly.
I actually think a lot of people are selling Alto a bit short. Yes, he's impulsive, but that's not always a bad thing--impulsiveness led to him saving Ranka in ep. 1 and Luca when the latter was captured. Even the time when he decided to take on the Vajra with nothing more than a melee weapon wasn't all-bad; it was stupid and reckless, but it seemed to stem from some kind of desire to avenge the death of Ranka's natural family.

And he *can* be emotionally empathetic; his reaction to Gilliam's death, for example. And he's had his moments with *both* of the ladies, whether it be him returning Sheryl's ear-rings, or all the text messages with Ranka. Heck, after he got an explanation for Michael's past, the two seem to get along a lot better. I wasn't thrilled with the way he handled the situation with Ranka in ep. 11, but I do think telling Michael to meet her was an attempt on his part to not totally stand her up. Besides, in his defense, it's not like Ranka gave him much notice on the meeting. And considering how rushed Ranka seemed to be in that scene with the manager only giving her a few hours, he may even have tried to meet her earlier in the day (I don't recall Ranka giving any kind of specific time frame on when they were supposed to meet). And Alto was clearly pre-occupied with family stuff. For these reasons, I don't think there's any reason to think Alto *didn't* say goodbye to Sheryl before he left.

He's also a natural actor, so on the stage, in a role, he can obviously be *very* empathetic, and I think that leeches over into his real, normal life, at times, although everything gets scrambled by all his irritation and angst.

That's not to say he *isn't* angsty. Even then, he has more grounds for it than most teenage boys; his father's obviously an austere figure, and when Alto chose a different career path, he was flat-out disowned. Father-son conflicts over career choices are normal, but they don't usually lead to the sort of complete break that Alto had. I'll cut him slack then, on that issue. And although it doesn't seem to ever have been addressed, I assume Alto's mother is dead, which can't help matters emotionally.

Furthermore, the angst certainly doesn't lead to annoying indecisiveness in combat situations--he's got issues, but he can certainly fight and is courageous in battle--self-sacrificing even.

Don't get me wrong; Alto's got serious issues, and he's definitely not great at reading the emotional states of women (or himself, for that matter), but some of his issues are as much external (i.e. the ones involving his family), and in his defense, both Sheryl and Ranka didn't immediately figure out what they feel about him--in fact, they're still in process on that front, even if they're farther along than he is. And in the end, I don't think Alto will be able to deal with the girls until he finds some resolution of the situation with his father, which I doubt is going away with that very short flashback in this ep. In fact, I assume the girl who "wins" in the end will be the one who helps him the most with that problem.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:07   Link #330
magnuskn

Oi, me stupid. Somehow I managed to not connect the normal script with the bold script.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:08   Link #331
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
She's got 2 dimensions. For that matter, I think Nana and Luca are alone now... there doesn't seem to be anyone around...
Except baby sitting a level 1 Vajra.

From the Preview apparently it gorges itself on a picnic basket.

Remember the rules.

1. Ego centric rockstars kill them.

2. Never get them wet.

3. Never feed them after midnight.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2008-06-30 at 12:22.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:10   Link #332
stray
aniki

Send a message via AIM to stray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiro View Post
Go for it, Sheryl!( ganbatte Sheryl!)
I thought ganbatte was more like... "keep at it!" or "don't give up!"

I'm no expert, tho...
Old 2008-06-30, 12:14   Link #333
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
I don't really feel like arguing, but IMO hostage situation > possible career damage. In fact hostage situation > pretty much anything else, and that's not including the collapsing from exhaustion and the simple fact that the sky was Sheryl's idea and meant to be a present from her to Alto. It's just rude, it's not like it was a surprise so he made an honest mistake. Alto knew exactly what Sheryl wanted to do, she told him repeatedly.

Plus, on a more calculating level, being able to attach her name to legends like Minmei and Basara who used music to end conflict is not likely to be all that damaging to Ranka's career in the world of Macross, although it's possible.
True, Ranka's decision to help could probably be spun away and become a boone to her career (saved the Galactice Fairy and had Omg alone time with the beautiful stunt actor from her movie debut), but that doesn't change my point that appealing to Alto's honour over his empathy would have been the better, more credible way to go.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:37   Link #334
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
btw, is the ending for this epsiode meant to be a parody of sdf macross ending?

禁則事項です
Old 2008-06-30, 12:44   Link #335
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
btw, is the ending for this epsiode meant to be a parody of sdf macross ending?
End credits or the Ending?

Sure Quamzin pretty much wrecked it. Losing the Daedalus as well.

But the ending if I remember right is Minmei saying see you later with Hikaru and Misa.

While she gave up she intended to join them in their journey.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:47   Link #336
ThoHell

Why are so many male leads suppose to be above average in ability and thinking be so stupid with intimate stuff? ACTUALLY, why are all the male leads so damn annoying. Sorry, but just getting fed up with the usual character design. I started this series out with an all support Ranka attitude but Sheryl has just absolutely grown on me to the point where I've gone to an all out support for Sheryl. Seriously...she's getting f**k. Why do they always throw in situations like these? It makes the blood get boiling and me wanting to go kick something.....
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
Old 2008-06-30, 13:01   Link #337
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
End credits or the Ending?

Sure Quamzin pretty much wrecked it. Losing the Daedalus as well.

But the ending if I remember right is Minmei saying see you later with Hikaru and Misa.

While she gave up she intended to join them in their journey.
i thought the ending in the macross tv series was that sd/chibi valkyrie flying in the sky. or was that a different ED?

禁則事項です
Old 2008-06-30, 13:08   Link #338
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
i thought the ending in the macross tv series was that sd/chibi valkyrie flying in the sky. or was that a different ED?
Different, a real picture book and background with its pages being turned depicting Hikaru and Minmei.
Old 2008-06-30, 13:27   Link #339
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Different, a real picture book and background with its pages being turned depicting Hikaru and Minmei.
But the Neko Nikki ED is similar, with Ranka's photo album instead of Minmay's.
Old 2008-06-30, 13:43   Link #340
KaleRylan

I agree with a lot of what people are saying here. My basic point is I just think Alto was incredibly rude at the end of this episode. When a friend has a birthday idea they obviously want to do with you, you don't do the same thing with someone else, it is the height of rude. And you don't have to be going out for this rule to work, you can be friends/family/lovers/whatever, it's still true.

As far as the series as a whole goes though, I actually consider this a victory for Sheryl. That may seem odd, but in my experience the character who has the most drama and angst is the most likely to win in the end. Because of that, it seemed to me that they were having Sheryl win too much in the beginning of the show which would set up Ranka for a triumphant return and victory down the line. This is similar to what happened with Minmei and Misa.

However, now it appears they've given Ranka her victory a little too early IMO, and although I could easily be wrong, I'm guessing from here on out we're going to see Sheryl as the underdog, setting up for either a more competitive ending between the two or possible just a triumphant return for Sheryl.
Closed Thread