AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-05-30, 21:07   Link #2901
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Furthermore, I think the only time she ever went all out was in the final episode of Railgun, when fighting against the customized weapon of Therestina.
Sumeragi is offline  
Old 2012-05-30, 21:16   Link #2902
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Academy City
Quote:
Originally Posted by hao-sama View Post
pretty much this. we hardly ever see mikoto being more badass moments much because she's just inherently badass. since she's the main character, even if she does something special with her powers, we're pretty much used to her versatility so it comes off as nothing that special because we know of her other feats.
Really the only "New" and special is when she has done her full strength Railgun in the anime but since were talking about the manga things have been pretty mundane with her show of ability.

But for me is was when Mikoto versed Meltdown. it showed "special" her powers are when she was tired and hungry and done pretty well against ITEM as a whole but that my opinion.
jalvin_billster1091 is offline  
Old 2012-05-30, 21:36   Link #2903
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Furthermore, I think the only time she ever went all out was in the final episode of Railgun, when fighting against the customized weapon of Therestina.
I think she held back against Therestina... But she definitely didn't against the fetus, that thing got a good taste of Mikoto's power.

BTW, why do I feel my arguments are getting misinterpreted? I not comparing Kongou to Mikoto but to Awaki.
leukrota is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 00:20   Link #2904
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
^She go all out against that knightmare of Therestina. She even copy divine buster into railgun to burst that knightmare.

Mikoto can use bigger bullets as long as they are metal for railgun but she still uses small token. That's holding back or maybe because it's easily to be used and brought with her than huge chunk of metals.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 04:46   Link #2905
desrtsku
Kyaaaa!!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
-Miko-chin is strong thing-
Don't worry about that, actually I'm glad when people defend her 'cause I'm afraid to do it myself (TwT) ... you should be glad I finally confessed my true feelings (TwT)
You misunderstood me. I never said she was weak, I said she's weaker than most strong guys from AC in term of sheer power alone (yes from AC ... not even bothering bringing the outside guys in it) … and the feats I want aren't what she accomplished but the destructive capabilities of her ability. BTW : the way she stopped a nuke and beat Mugino are out of the argument … she's done those feats in the lv.0/low level way.
To sum it : She's smart, ok that's true ; her ability is very handy and has plenty of use, that's true as well ; she's incredibly cute, needless to say ; she's strong, I know that ; alas, that doesn't make her that powerful compared to the other big guys at all ... Basically just among the LV.5 she's got the weakest firepower so far (excluding Misaki). And now even some Lv.4s brought up brutal stuffs as awesome as hers out of nowhere (not one but severals). Of course, I can't deny she'd easily beat any of them in a 1 VS 1 due to the great tactical advantage her ability represents and as well as cleverness, but that doesn't change the main point, just because David beats Goliath doesn't mean he's got more muscles than the later. (it has more charm in it though)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
-Range thing-.
Quote:
Actually it has to with how the esper use the ability, Accelerator uses the atmospheric pressure in order to control wind for example.
Also, she has already a versatile use for her powers and enough screen time an her own series.
K
It may be right, but still a bit off the mark ... someone like Mugino (who can just fire beams/offensive, give a shape to her beams/defensive-supportive and propel herself with blasts/supportive ... and somehow still lacks optimal control of them) is still a Lv.5 ; while LV.4 like Worst obviously has more use for her ability (from electrocution, magnetism, railgun, atmosphere breaking, hacking, jamming, etc ...), or Gunha who can make freeze himself to a nigh-invincible state (that's really really really really far from basic telekinesis) … meaning raw power has more to do with it than the actual "range" or variety of use. Another example on the other way is Kill Point, basically a guy who could teleport himself is a given Lv.4 but Accelerator argued he can't be called as such if he doesn't have the corresponding computation power.
Anyway, I don't get what the screen time has to do with it O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao-sama View Post
pretty much this. we hardly ever see mikoto being more badass moments much because she's just inherently badass. since she's the main character, even if she does something special with her powers, we're pretty much used to her versatility so it comes off as nothing that special because we know of her other feats.
You take in on the psychological effect huh … nice way to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Furthermore, I think the only time she ever went all out was in the final episode of Railgun, when fighting against the customized weapon of Therestina.
-That time
-+ AIM Burst
-+ Gunha (by admitting the canon status of that fight)
-Accelerator
-Touma (most of the unseen fights + in the railgun version of the bridge scene, she's got a little headache after electro-bombing the bridge)

Those are all impressive but not as impressive as sending a Radio Tower in the stratosphere (the force required to do so generates far more energy than the same thing falling from the same height if you want to picture the thing) or blocking a rain of railgun … I'll eat my words if she can use a tank as a railgun bullet though >.>
__________________
desrtsku is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 07:22   Link #2906
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
-That time
-+ AIM Burst
-+ Gunha (by admitting the canon status of that fight)
-Accelerator
-Touma (most of the unseen fights + in the railgun version of the bridge scene, she's got a little headache after electro-bombing the bridge)

Those are all impressive but not as impressive as sending a Radio Tower in the stratosphere (the force required to do so generates far more energy than the same thing falling from the same height if you want to picture the thing) or blocking a rain of railgun … I'll eat my words if she can use a tank as a railgun bullet though >.>
You do know that a lightning storm contains massive amounts of energy? If you read that spar with Gunha she practically created a natural disaster and was still able to control it from going berserk. And this wasn't a oneshot deal, it went on for probably a few minutes.

She never went all in with Accelerator, the fear alone had stopped her.

As for Touma, take into account that she had to chase the bugger all over the city first...

Actually, I also want to add this- Just because someone is tired, doesn't mean they've reached their limit Army taught me that
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 07:50   Link #2907
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
I'll eat my words if she can use a tank as a railgun bullet though >.>
Seems like you're forgetting Liberal Arts:
Spoiler:
leukrota is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 08:14   Link #2908
desrtsku
Kyaaaa!!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You do know that a lightning storm contains massive amounts of energy? If you read that spar with Gunha she practically created a natural disaster and was still able to control it from going berserk. And this wasn't a oneshot deal, it went on for probably a few minutes.
That's another case, those ones are dozen kilometers sized and have several hours of lifespan, nothing to do with the kind of 10 seconds mini lightning storms she uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
She never went all in with Accelerator, the fear alone had stopped her.

As for Touma, take into account that she had to chase the bugger all over the city first...
Those two cases can be debated. You can't really tell how much power did the input in that coin she threw at Accel (and she implied while discussing with Touma that she might have gone all out during their first encounter. For Touma's case, there's no proof that little sprint drain so much of her power that she can't give all she's got after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Actually, I also want to add this- Just because someone is tired, doesn't mean they've reached their limit Army taught me that
*_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Seems like you're forgetting Liberal Arts:
Nice try but, no ^^" ... or dare you say it can be as heavy as a tank (can go up to 60 tons) (even with that amount of Iron sand)? ... also, it quickly lost to gravity >.>
__________________
desrtsku is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 08:48   Link #2909
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
That's another case, those ones are dozen kilometers sized and have several hours of lifespan, nothing to do with the kind of 10 seconds mini lightning storms she uses
The power of a single Lightning bolt isn't affect by how long the storm last, a couple billion volts is a couple billion volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Those two cases can be debated. You can't really tell how much power did the input in that coin she threw at Accel (and she implied while discussing with Touma that she might have gone all out during their first encounter. For Touma's case, there's no proof that little sprint drain so much of her power that she can't give all she's got after.
Fine, they're both arguable, but that's the point.
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 09:09   Link #2910
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Nice try but, no ^^" ... or dare you say it can be as heavy as a tank (can go up to 60 tons) (even with that amount of Iron sand)? ... also, it quickly lost to gravity >.>
Right, it was a bit of an exaggeration... Making a shift estimation, I think she could throw a 60 tons tank 10 meters at most, so not exactly a bullet.

On the other hand, this would be with her instantaneous "railgun", I wonder if she can build up electromagnetic energy for a more potent shot... (though then again, where would she build that up? perhaps with she could improvise a metal tube...)
leukrota is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 10:06   Link #2911
zaeraal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
In railgun PSP game she created a huge Kamehameha (railgun) cannon and fired it to destroy some debris that was accelereated and fired from orbit towards AC (which ofc. would destroy it completly)

Railgun in real life can go up to some 100km distance (with prospects up to 400km) in one shot (bullets do not melt like coins), though not sure about altitude, normal guns go about half of the distance when fired to air, 400 / 2 = 200km.

To compare, lightning clouds are approximately at 6km altitude, stratosphere is at 10km - 50km.

Reaching high altitude is not question of mass, but speed.
REMEMBER, something heavier does not fall faster than something lighter.
But the more heavier it is, the less speed is consumed due to friction, thus needing less speed.

The only question is if she can accelerate it (and if it won't fall apart).
Even lightning does not have that much energy to accelerate tank (or something similar) to that speed in one go, but if the rails would be long enogh, she would certainly be able to fire it till stratosphere.
zaeraal is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 11:36   Link #2912
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
REMEMBER, something heavier does not fall faster than something lighter.
Actually, that's not true, it does fall faster... of course, for there to be a noticeable change in acceleration the mass difference would have to be of celestial proportions (like in a cannon ball vs the moon)

... just saying, I know it has nothing to do with your point.
leukrota is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 13:31   Link #2913
desrtsku
Kyaaaa!!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Age: 21
^
Right, and that theory is easily applicable in this case since there's an atmosphere (but there's more about density than mass in certain cases)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
In railgun PSP game she created a huge Kamehameha (railgun) cannon and fired it to destroy some debris that was accelereated and fired from orbit towards AC (which ofc. would destroy it completly)
More details about what happened please ... it's not far from the wanted thing. (w)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
Reaching high altitude is not question of mass, but speed.
REMEMBER, something heavier does not fall faster than something lighter.
But the more heavier it is, the less speed is consumed due to friction, thus needing less speed.
edit : ah no let's keep it there I'm sure we'll go off topic if we go further (I just wanted to add that the greater the mass, the more effective is gravity when it works adding to the fact it also works better with ascendant movement ... and there's a limit to the amount of power she can generate, and the heavier the object gets, the more gravity will get in the way)
__________________

Last edited by desrtsku; 2012-05-31 at 13:57.
desrtsku is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 14:39   Link #2914
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The power of a single Lightning bolt isn't affect by how long the storm last, a couple billion volts is a couple billion volts.
True but it has been found that lightning strikes can produce very small amounts of antimatter. Regardless she does have a fairly good control of one of the fundamental forces of the universe.
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 15:30   Link #2915
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
True but it has been found that lightning strikes can produce very small amounts of antimatter. Regardless she does have a fairly good control of one of the fundamental forces of the universe.
Just don't let Kamachi find that out.
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 16:13   Link #2916
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Just don't let Kamachi find that out.
Kamachi should already know about this
Sumeragi is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 17:55   Link #2917
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Well, he might not know, it was just a wild theory until about a year ago...
leukrota is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 18:37   Link #2918
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
So Mikoto can become more "powerful" then?
ellifeedn is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 19:00   Link #2919
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
*Drumrolls*

Awakened Mikoto
Sumeragi is offline  
Old 2012-05-31, 19:02   Link #2920
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
So Mikoto can become more "powerful" then?
No, she still has the "parameter list" to deal with. I won't go into it because it comes up late in the Index LN's, and talking about it here might count as a spoiler.
Ilidsor is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.