AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-09, 14:24   Link #1701
zaeraal

Finally the translation for chapter 40 is out. And there is quite a big timeskip from 23.8. to 14.9. and i really wonder if the autor did it just to show Kongo's development and will go back, or will continue from 14.9. and leave the uncovered parts to railgun anime (maybe with hopes for a second season this years).
Old 2011-05-09, 14:30   Link #1702
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

The latter; who ever heard of a time skip forward then back?
Old 2011-05-09, 19:43   Link #1703
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Interesting chapter. Looks like we are going to learn more about Tokiwadai middle school. I eagerly await the next chapter. I we are lucky, maybe the Identity of Mental Out will be revealed.
Old 2011-05-09, 19:57   Link #1704
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
Finally the translation for chapter 40 is out. And there is quite a big timeskip from 23.8. to 14.9. and i really wonder if the autor did it just to show Kongo's development and will go back, or will continue from 14.9. and leave the uncovered parts to railgun anime (maybe with hopes for a second season this years).
I don't see any mention of a date in the chapter, and it doesn't even make sense for it to take place on September 14th because that's the day of volume 8 (Remnant Arc) and volume 5 (which has Unabara stalking Mikoto) takes place on August 31st.
Old 2011-05-09, 20:47   Link #1705
Shadow5YA

haha Kongou thinks Mikoto's name is Unabara Mitsuki. Strange though... this is the first chapter without a date.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:10   Link #1706
Okashira
Honos628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I don't see any mention of a date in the chapter, and it doesn't even make sense for it to take place on September 14th because that's the day of volume 8 (Remnant Arc) and volume 5 (which has Unabara stalking Mikoto) takes place on August 31st.
In Index Mikoto points out that Unabara has been going at it every day for the last week, if we take that literally that would be "5 ~ 6 days in a row ("works day week") or "7 days in a row" or 7 days + extra (taking the statement as last week + what's on the current week).

In chapter 40 Mikoto points out that this is the third day of "coincidences", thus is before the fight with Etzali.

... So, if I had to fill in the blanks and explain this, I would probably think that.

A.- The first part of chapter 40 happens in for about 26 ~ 29 / 8 ; and then time skips to the volume 8 of the Light novel ( 14 / 9 ).

B.- The first part of chapter 40 happens in for about 26 ~ 29 / 8 ; but then rewrote the time for that system scan chat to the very same week.

.... Well, to me the most interesting points of these current developments are :

- They skipped mentioning / portraying the Liberal Arts City arc if A is correct.
- They "wrote out" Kongoh's part in all of the previous Manga arcs, which is really the "biggest change" continuity wise between the anime and the manga.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:19   Link #1707
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I was wondering about that. Liberal City Arc is supposed to take place a little after Volume 7, and this must before that, since it seems to be before Tuma's fight with Etzali. However, if so, it seems they decided to rewrite Kongo's whole history, since Railgun anime has her way before that. Wonder why?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2011-05-09, 22:04   Link #1708
UNDER_LINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
In Index Mikoto points out that Unabara has been going at it every day for the last week, if we take that literally that would be "5 ~ 6 days in a row ("works day week") or "7 days in a row" or 7 days + extra (taking the statement as last week + what's on the current week).

In chapter 40 Mikoto points out that this is the third day of "coincidences", thus is before the fight with Etzali.

... So, if I had to fill in the blanks and explain this, I would probably think that.

A.- The first part of chapter 40 happens in for about 26 ~ 29 / 8 ; and then time skips to the volume 8 of the Light novel ( 14 / 9 ).

B.- The first part of chapter 40 happens in for about 26 ~ 29 / 8 ; but then rewrote the time for that system scan chat to the very same week.

.... Well, to me the most interesting points of these current developments are :

- They skipped mentioning / portraying the Liberal Arts City arc if A is correct.
- They "wrote out" Kongoh's part in all of the previous Manga arcs, which is really the "biggest change" continuity wise between the anime and the manga.
I'd say A sounds about right. The first part is likely before the fight with Etzali, and I also believe that the second part is around Sep. 14. I don't see any contradictions with those. And maybe they just decided it is unnecessary to do the Liberal Arts arc again in manga form.

And IIRC, Kongou never appeared in the manga before. It was only the anime that put her at the beginning. So right from the start, the anime contradicted the manga and novels.
Old 2011-05-09, 22:14   Link #1709
index87

Mikoto calls her dad Papa or is that a translation thing

kongou looked so sad when she remembered they were pretending/i wonder if she had many friends in her other school

Last edited by index87; 2011-05-09 at 22:19. Reason: forgot something
Old 2011-05-09, 22:16   Link #1710
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Mah~ Kongou is such a minor character that it doesn't matter what they do to her, but they still have to introduce her somehow. It's like Himegami in the Index manga- they've changed her background, but at least they brought her into the story.
Old 2011-05-09, 22:31   Link #1711
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDER_LINE View Post
I'd say A sounds about right. The first part is likely before the fight with Etzali, and I also believe that the second part is around Sep. 14. I don't see any contradictions with those. And maybe they just decided it is unnecessary to do the Liberal Arts arc again in manga form.

And IIRC, Kongou never appeared in the manga before. It was only the anime that put her at the beginning. So right from the start, the anime contradicted the manga and novels.
Uh, it's pretty obvious this entire chapter happens within about a day or two. I don't think Kongou would go three weeks without learning Mikoto's real name. The manga just rewrote what time that conversation took place; actually, I don't recall Kongou and Shirai arguing about cliques in the anime anyway, just bickering during a system scan.
Old 2011-05-09, 22:38   Link #1712
Shadow5YA

It's not like the anime is the canon material for the series anyway.
Old 2011-05-09, 22:54   Link #1713
UNDER_LINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Uh, it's pretty obvious this entire chapter happens within about a day or two. I don't think Kongou would go three weeks without learning Mikoto's real name. The manga just rewrote what time that conversation took place; actually, I don't recall Kongou and Shirai arguing about cliques in the anime anyway, just bickering during a system scan.
The system scan has to take place after the start of term which is Sep 1. The Liberal Arts arc takes place from Sep 3 to Sep 6.

Assuming they rewrote the System Scan to take place on Sep 2 and the entire chapter happens takes place on 2 consecutive days, then that would mean Unabara has been stalking her from Aug 30 to Sep 1, which is unlikely given the events that happened on Aug 31 and Sep 1.

If they rewrote the system scan to take place after Sep 6 and the entire chapter happened within a day or two, then that means the term has already started since the start of the chapter, which doesn't seem to be the case. Not to mention if Unabara has been stalking Mikoto for 3 days, then that means the system scan must take place after Sep 9.
Old 2011-05-09, 23:02   Link #1714
~Greed~
He Who Defies Finality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post

If I remember, the anime is supposed to be secondary canon, as a lot of it was written by the author. So if "A" is correct, then they retconned Kongo's introduction and all of her previous appearances.

Characters from the anime, like Kihara Telestina, also were spoken of in the railgun novel written by Baccano's author, which was approved as canon by Kamachi. That also shows that the anime has a good deal of canon content and arcs.

In my opinion "B" seems more likely. Since the only thing that would be retconned would be the date of the system scan chat. Though if I'm wrong, then someone can feel free to correct me.
Old 2011-05-09, 23:10   Link #1715
UNDER_LINE

I'm sure Kamachi only gave ideas. He didn't actually write any of the anime scripts. And the System Scan is supposed to happen on Sep 14, so it isn't retconning.

And also even if some of the anime-original characters and arcs are approved as canon, it doesn't mean the timeline is also approved as canon.
Old 2011-05-09, 23:27   Link #1716
~Greed~
He Who Defies Finality

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDER_LINE View Post
I'm sure Kamachi only gave ideas. He didn't actually write any of the anime scripts.
He really only has to give his stamp of approval for it to be considered canon. Like Goerge Lucas didn't a lot of material from the novels and comics for star wars, but they are considered canon anyways, because it has his approval.

Quote:
And also even if some of the anime-original characters and arcs are approved as canon, it doesn't mean the timeline is also approved as canon.
Hmm, I can see what your saying I guess. But usually there isn't a case where one thing won't be approved as canon, while another thing isn't.

Quote:
And the System Scan is supposed to happen on Sep 14, so it isn't retconning.
The system scan that Mikoto took? It happened on July 16th.

Maybe there were 2 system scans? hmm....I'm pretty confused about this.
Old 2011-05-09, 23:31   Link #1717
UNDER_LINE

System Scans are periodic. The first System Scan that Kongou Mitsuko took is the one on Sep 14 (which is the one in vol 8 of the novels).
Old 2011-05-10, 00:17   Link #1718
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So this arc is technically a flashback on how Mitsuko meet Mikoto.
Old 2011-05-10, 01:05   Link #1719
Zakoo

My sixth sense is telling me that Mitsuko is hot in the manga.

That man knows how to draw.
Old 2011-05-10, 01:13   Link #1720
Okashira
Honos628

Quote:
Originally Posted by index87 View Post
Mikoto calls her dad Papa or is that a translation thing
I haven't seen the jp raw, but considering that he can call her mom "baka haha" when she is pissed I wouldn't be surprised if she can use something more informal than otousan with her dad when she is being a spoiled kid.

Quote:
kongou looked so sad when she remembered they were pretending/i wonder if she had many friends in her other school

To me this was the most important bit. Probably from their short interaction Misaka already thinks of her and Kongoh as been friends; while Kongoh who seems to be more strict in that regards thinks that after "splitting up" now they are never going to meet in such friendly terms again nor talk freely like that... It was kinda saddening... Makes me which that they would include more chapters to follow up into this.

Speaking about the timeline confusion thing, I kinda remember that this isn't the first chapter were we don't know the date on the magazine scan; but that the date was revealed on the Tankoubon version (the other one was when Mikoto attacked the 3diagram facility, I think).
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen