AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-06-29, 15:56   Link #1
Raghar

Pacifism in the Anime.

I have a little question: What's with all that pacifism in the recent Japanese Anime?

Last Exile: pacifistic. Gundam 00 (possibly) pacifistic. A Bleach Anime has some pacifistic tendencies as well. It damages the story because Bleach manga has no trace of pacifism (with exception of only one pacifistic person - Tousen). On the other hand, Bleach manga wasn't warmongering either. The only pacifistic person on Bleach manga is Tousen, which has hands full of blood. (I wonder how much more bloody would be that other way.) He is actually perfect paladin. A lawful good character that's doing things...

An unnecessary pacifism hurts Anime. Quite a lot of pacifistic proclamations often sounds out of character, destroys the story.

The question is: why are they doing this? Is it because of censors? Is it because they think it will increase popularity of the series? Is it because they want to pretend? Or is it because they like to lie to themselves?
Raghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 16:40   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
I have a little question: What's with all that pacifism in the recent Japanese Anime?

Last Exile: pacifistic. Gundam 00 (possibly) pacifistic. A Bleach Anime has some pacifistic tendencies as well. It damages the story because Bleach manga has no trace of pacifism (with exception of only one pacifistic person - Tousen). On the other hand, Bleach manga wasn't warmongering either. The only pacifistic person on Bleach manga is Tousen, which has hands full of blood. (I wonder how much more bloody would be that other way.) He is actually perfect paladin. A lawful good character that's doing things...

An unnecessary pacifism hurts Anime. Quite a lot of pacifistic proclamations often sounds out of character, destroys the story.

The question is: why are they doing this? Is it because of censors? Is it because they think it will increase popularity of the series? Is it because they want to pretend? Or is it because they like to lie to themselves?
What in the world do you mean by "all that pacifism"?

You have named 3 shows dating back over the last 5 years (Last Exile was from April 2003) and you have managed to list one show with pacifism (Last Exile), one show that has "pacifistic tendencies" (Bleach) and one that might be possibly be pacifistic (Gundam 00). How many shows do you think have been produced over the last 5 years. I would say that you should expect a fair number during this time.

But ignoring the numbers, why does it matter. Judging by your comments you object to any form of pacifism "Is it because they want to pretend?", "Or is it because they like to lie to themselves?". Why are you making these rather degrading comments, if you don't like these sort of shows then watch something else. Don't whinge and whine about the fact that the creators of these shows don't happen to share the same viewpoint as you.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 17:36   Link #3
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
It's because pacifistic characters create dorama, dorama, dorama, when the fighting comes around.

And I'm not really getting what you're saying about anime series being pacifistic.
Are you saying certain characters are pacifistic, or that the series in a whole is?