AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-05, 05:22   Link #21
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The whole console war hinges on the idea that their has to be a single choice. Honestly it's kind of ridiculous. It gets even worse when you run into the console fanboys who very much love their favourite system and want to tell you how every other one and the company that owns them are abominations. I tend to liken anime studio fanboyism to console fanboyism actually in a lot of my theories and such. Everything you really need to know about the console fanboyism can be summed up by this guy.

Warning: I assume no responsibility for anybody punching their monitor in while watching this.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 11:31   Link #22
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The whole console war hinges on the idea that their has to be a single choice. Honestly it's kind of ridiculous. It gets even worse when you run into the console fanboys who very much love their favourite system and want to tell you how every other one and the company that owns them are abominations. I tend to liken anime studio fanboyism to console fanboyism actually in a lot of my theories and such. Everything you really need to know about the console fanboyism can be summed up by this guy.

Warning: I assume no responsibility for anybody punching their monitor in while watching this.
Chad Warden is a heavenly troll, and it is impossible for a normal logical person to not hate him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWJUHNDgQg&feature=user

He stacks paper and collects bitches like no man before him.
__________________
All anime are made for either kids or nerds.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 13:26   Link #23
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Actually most of the hatred also came from MGS2 having an incoherant, contrived, horrible and badly written plot. Anything that wasn't Raiden's direct back story was nothing short of verbal diarrhea. It didn't help the graphics were only decent at best, it had some genuinely annoying characters, Ocelot with a possessed talking arm and Raiden being generally unlikeable hurt it more.
The story was pretty understandeble to me it was standard metal gear shizzle I was used too. We where already used too people coming back from the dead people who can read your mind, destroying metal gears by yourself. Hell nothing is too crazy in metal gear. Only decent looking? It had the best graphics at the time. There's no point in arguing with someone who thought MGS2 looked decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Try taking off those inch deep nostalgia goggles first, it normally makes things alot easier to see. Metroid Prime captured the essence of the older Metroid's perfectly and it didn't do bad in sales either. The old puzzle and exploration formula was completely intact. It was pretty too if you're into eye candy, though that was more of a bonus than anything.
Next to the fact it was fucking boring too play. Yes it was the same I was expecting more with a 3d sequel not less. That you had to scan the shit out of everything did not help. Yes it was pretty, but it doesn't help much if the game is too boring too play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Ninja Gaiden maybe but thats easily debatable. Halo, no. Its one of the most cookie cutter, overhyped and no skill casual FPS ever created. They didn't even add something as basic as the ability to carry two guns till much later.

The music gets points and overall plot was pretty epic actually (characterization was weak though) but the gameplay has always been lacklustre, clunky, slow with meh controls. It would've been fine for a FPS RPG or a FPS exploration game but unsuitable for what it was. But the Xbox owners had nothing else to justify owning that console which created rabid fans on a level no other fanbase could come close to which helped its hype.
Ninja gaiden easily debatable? No you can't.

Halo overhyped? Sure it was, but hey it was the best shooter of that generation. Name one that was better. The only other I can think of is time splitters, but that was multiplatform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Thats exaggeration if I ever seen it. GCN actually had arguably better fighter, arcade shooter, racing games and a respectable showing in RPG's.
Better fighter w8 you mean melee? That was a party game. If you call that a fighter then I have nothing to say. Eventhen the Tekken/Soul Calibur/virtua fighter series are way better in terms of a fighter. Arcade shooter? Did I miss something? Racing games? The gamecube didn't have Grand tourismo the last time I checked. That you even had the guts to write down RPG's. Do I even need to bother? Check the RPG list of the ps2. The cube only had 2 that are worth mentioning and if those came out on the PS2 they would be called just above average. The only reason they where worth anything is because the cube had nothing else. Yeah you are right the Cube dominated the party game genre. Big yay for Nintendo? I'm sorry I liked Nintendo for other reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
But thats exactly what you were said. Look.
Stop quoting me out of context. Read the whole post. It only has one more line. Or is that too much information for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Thats actually incredibly rude, I suggest you fix your attitude.
Well you wrote some ignorant stuff about the ps2. No good games in the early years? Then wtf where MGS2, FFX, timesplitters, Grand tourismo 3, PES, etc. Oh yeah and what about GTA3? It was hell of a lot better anything the cube had at that time.




@Rah-rah: Those are good games the thing is it was the same shit different day(not saying I didn't have any fun ). Instead the PS2 showed how the game should have evolved with Shadow of the Collosus and Okami.


Stop hating on the fanboism. It's here and it'll stay. Hell just look at football. See the teams as the consoles, the players as the exclusive games. Sure you can be for either side. Still you choose one. Stop trying to be logical. You know fanboism isn't logical so logic is not going to explain it. Being a fanboy makes you human if anything

Last edited by 2H-Dragon; 2008-07-05 at 13:36.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 13:57   Link #24
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
lmao, battle of opinions? No one is right or wrong... its just that, opinion.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 10:01   Link #25
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
That you even had the guts to write down RPG's. Do I even need to bother? Check the RPG list of the ps2. The cube only had 2 that are worth mentioning and if those came out on the PS2 they would be called just above average.
No.
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Phantasy Star Online: Episode III
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Baten Kaitos Origins
5 high quality RPGs, in no way just above average.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 11:36   Link #26
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
I'm perfectly happy with my modded Playstation 2 and PC. Would you believe it?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 12:40   Link #27
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
No.
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Phantasy Star Online: Episode III
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Baten Kaitos Origins
5 high quality RPGs, in no way just above average.
I don't even need to respond to this. You know there is a scale for things. If you think these are high quality. Was Final fantasy 6 the 2nd coming of Jezus?(though that might be somewhat true, but then I'd have no idea how to rank FF9/FF8/FF10.)

I'll drop this discussion since my opnion differs, but hell give the PS2 a shot you might get a hard attack how awesome the games are on them.

You know what's the difference between you and me. I actually owned those games and a cube while you guys on the flipside did not own a ps2 and play those games.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 21:17   Link #28
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Just to add something, those 5 RPGs (plus Fire Emblem which was not mentioned) did NOT give me the urge to own a cube. And believe me, I'm easily persuaded, as I bought a fat PSP when it was like 400 bucks (plus a 100 buck 1 gig mem stick) just because Generation of Chaos came out, and just recently a 360 elite because Operation Darkness was released.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 21:53   Link #29
mandarb916
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
I don't even need to respond to this. You know there is a scale for things. If you think these are high quality. Was Final fantasy 6 the 2nd coming of Jezus?(though that might be somewhat true, but then I'd have no idea how to rank FF9/FF8/FF10.)
Final Fantasy in general's been good...but not THAT good...really overrated series imho :|
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 22:09   Link #30
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
^
Whatever the case may be, the PS2 still has loads of other RPGs if the FF series is not to your tastes.

I personally think that FF6 was stupid, and along with ffx, are the only FFs I didn't get past the first 10 hours, let alone finish.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 22:16   Link #31
DeotoxSlayer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just to add something, those 5 RPGs (plus Fire Emblem which was not mentioned) did NOT give me the urge to own a cube. And believe me, I'm easily persuaded, as I bought a fat PSP when it was like 400 bucks (plus a 100 buck 1 gig mem stick) just because Generation of Chaos came out, and just recently a 360 elite because Operation Darkness was released.
Didn't operation darkness end up sucking.

I mean the overall average is 50% and some even went as low as 20%

I played it for a little bit myself I was severly underwhelmed.

Did you feel like your purchase was justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag View Post
Chad Warden is a heavenly troll, and it is impossible for a normal logical person to not hate him.
I don't hat him, though I think me not hatting him has more to do with me finding it funny.
__________________
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 22:32   Link #32
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
^
In all honesty, I haven't spent much time on it yet, as I have yet to get to the Answer of FES. But get this... I thought that Romancing SaGa is the best PS2 RPG before the release of Persona 3, so my tastes heavily differ from most gamers.

So far, Operation Darkness is a decent title; certainly its no Astonishia Story. Right now, after FES, it's my next RPG on my playlist, as I love unforgiving RPGs.

With Eternal Sonata, Lost Oddysey, Blue Dragon, and Culdcept Saga, I don't think my 360 purchase was a waste. Especially with S-E titles on the horizon, which should give me something to do cuz the PS3 really is lacking much in any kind of RPGs in the foreseeable future.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 00:12   Link #33
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
Final Fantasy in general's been good...but not THAT good...really overrated series imho :|
Still a hell of a lot better then any of the RPG's on the cube. o_O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 02:41   Link #34
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
My opinion but any final fantasy past 6 is complete garbage. Cinematics =/= Great game, IMHO. The tales series, particularily Tales of Symphonia, trumps anything Square squirts out of its emo metrosexual chocolate despensor, in terms of game play and loveable characters.

Now, this is only my opinion. But nothing on the PS3 justifies its purchase for me. My Wii and 360 takes care of all my needs as of now. I probably won't pick up a PS3 until near the end of its life cycle. If you bought something and you feel that you're happy with it, why become so defensive about it? Is it because you actually felt like you wasted your money? Let people have their opinions, no need to get angry because someone doesn't agree with you.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 06:46   Link #35
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Netherlands
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
My opinion but any final fantasy past 6 is complete garbage. Cinematics =/= Great game, IMHO. The tales series, particularily Tales of Symphonia, trumps anything Square squirts out of its emo metrosexual chocolate despensor, in terms of game play and loveable characters.

Now, this is only my opinion. But nothing on the PS3 justifies its purchase for me. My Wii and 360 takes care of all my needs as of now. I probably won't pick up a PS3 until near the end of its life cycle. If you bought something and you feel that you're happy with it, why become so defensive about it? Is it because you actually felt like you wasted your money? Let people have their opinions, no need to get angry because someone doesn't agree with you.
By your logic that gameplay is important in rpg's then FF12/KH/KHII win instantly over ToS. If where talking about loveble characters again KH/KHII and FF9 win. So yeah I know you never owned a ps2 or psx. Or you never played those games. If you haven't noticed the PS2 also features some Tales of games, but the playstation community is used to something with more quality.

Sure about the ps3 you might be right, but I never went on that tour. I hate the Wii for being a joke since the only good games on it would work perfectly fine with a normal controller, next to corruption I guess, but I am not a fan of the 3d metroid so yeah I can say I dislike the system as a whole.

Nah it's just if someone felt in the mood to buy an old console to go for the ps2 instead the cube. Since the cube just doesn't stack up to the ps2. Also to try and get people to try great games they might have missed. And yes I do feel like I have wasted my money. I am not angry at you though only at Nintendo for betraying gaming.

Yeah people are intitled to their opinions, but having one about a console without ever owning it is just bullshit. If people state their opinions. Isn't it only fair that I state mine too?
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 07:28   Link #36
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
You obviously never played ToS. And FYI I do own a PSX and PS2, don't assume. Or maybe you haven't noticed my orgasmic comments on PS2 rpgs?

Wait FF12 had great gameplay? lmfao, ok sure. KH and KH2? LMAO again, hack and slash isn't exactly amazing you know?

FF9 had loveable characters? The only loveable character was ViVi, the giant love sick rat wasn't exactly loveable. The fat thing with a giant fork was as interesting as the pimple on my ass. The rosta had little to none personality or backstory, the main character was a monkey with foofoo shirt and weird shit popping out of his thighs. I guess the princess was ok, the ugly loli was no where near endearing, at least make it look cute if you're gonna do a loli.

Again its my opinion.

Tales of the Abyss improved on the ToS battle system, but the characters and story was dreadful, much to my disappointment as I was anticipating it. There was also Tales of Legendia, but that game was terrible it appeared and disappeared within a week. Ask any "Tales Of" fan and they will tell you the exact same thing.

And to say the Playstation community is about quality almost made me peed my pants in laughter. PSX and PS2 were the worse hardware ever conceived it their respective generations. And 95% of their software were utter crap, but thats only because due to popularity, Shovelware is unavoidable, such as Barbies Magic Kingdom and what not. Only with the release of the PS3, is now they use the whole "quality" excuse for their lackluster list of games.

Yeah you''re entitled to an opinion as any one else is. But don't try to shove it in people's faces like its fact. Tell me though, how exactly has Nintendo "betrayed gaming"? I'm still enjoying nearly everything nintendo puts out. Unless you would like to point out to me a game made by nintendo that was complete fail?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 07:49   Link #37
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
The only failings I feel that FF12 had was that the story was sub-par, and that the english release of the license system made everyone generic in the end.

But it's battle system? An instant 10/10 from me, no questions asked. I for one like the fresh, interesting, and innovative approach they made, which is unlike any other battle system out there. It rewards being smart, as properly made gambits means life or death, which I would take ANYDAY over say the button mash fest that is the Tales system.

My only complaint about the system was that the damage was capped at quad 9, when mage builds easily reach that level halfway through the game, and thus made them unviable end game. But I think of it as nothing, as I'm extremely biased for mage characters as I love them, so I think it is my bias speaking there lol.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 08:00   Link #38
DeotoxSlayer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Tales of the Abyss improved on the ToS battle system, but the characters and story was dreadful, much to my disappointment as I was anticipating it. There was also Tales of Legendia, but that game was terrible it appeared and disappeared within a week. Ask any "Tales Of" fan and they will tell you the exact same thing.
I'm a "Tales of" Fan and i'm not gonna tell him the same thing. Tales of Symphonia was good but I never really enjoyed it that much, and in the end the entire story ended up being entirely cliche with not one plot point that I could really find memmorable. I never really like the character and I frankly found the battle system to be less interesting than Tales of Phantasia for the GBA. Overall I prefered Abyss myself. I partially agree with the people who say that Tales of Symphonia was singled out as amazing because of the lack of good RPGs on the Gamecube there were like what 4, 5 good RPGs on the Gamecube throughout its lifetime. I'm not saying it wasn't good, but I feel that if it was released on just the PS2 with no Gamecube release it probably wouldn't have been rated so good.

Though I do agree about Legendia. I felt really ripped off and I still can't believe I wasted my money on it.
__________________
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 08:52   Link #39
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Just to add something, those 5 RPGs (plus Fire Emblem which was not mentioned) did NOT give me the urge to own a cube.
Not even the Baten Kaitos games? Especially Baten Kaitos Origins is made of pure win. You say you enjoyed FFXII's unique battle system. Well, the Baten Kaitos games also offer unique battle systems! Did you even try them?

Phantasy Star Online: Episode III also has quite a good, different battle system. But the game is not everyone's cup of tea.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 11:07   Link #40
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
^
In all honesty, if I wanted a card based battle system, I'd rather get back to playing competitive Magic. Really now, having played Magic for over a decade now, finding ways to combo off cards has made me tired of it, and I really doubt Baten Kaitos would have the depth and strategy of what got me into magic in the first place.

So yeah, no interest at all in the cube. Maybe once I get a Wii I'll pick it up for collections sake, but as of right now, no thanks.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.