AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-28, 17:49   Link #11721
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Wouldn't a crossover between Toaru and Rental Magica work well? Magic wise anyway...
Yes it would; in fact I had contemplated direct porting Adilicia and her Solomon style magic into the Toaruverse for a story once. Honami's Celtic Druidism works extremely well too, might need to tweak it abit but it's within acceptable area.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-06-28, 18:50   Link #11722
outerelf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bouncing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Keyword--> 'can'. The above mentioned was a question, not a statement. I guess everyone jumped the gun there, but I am inclined towards resignation, mostly because there's a project that I promised to work on no matter what.

And I think I made up a bigger storm...
You silly person you. We automatically assumed because you've been slowing down on the ToAru translations. It looks like your giving up Translation-tan to Js06. The poor girl will be sad, but will nevertheless keep you close to heart.
outerelf is offline  
Old 2011-06-28, 19:24   Link #11723
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
You silly person you. We automatically assumed because you've been slowing down on the ToAru translations. It looks like your giving up Translation-tan to Js06. The poor girl will be sad, but will nevertheless keep you close to heart.
Correction, that's why you assumed that. You're the only jerk here who thinks his pace is slow. People have a life, you know? (Js06 is the one going absurdly fast, how or why? don't ask me.)
leukrota is offline  
Old 2011-06-28, 22:28   Link #11724
ngng
Cuteness is Justice!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Border Between Real and Unreal World
Even after 25 volumes, there are still many unanswered questions and hopefully I don't have to wait for all my life to get the answers.
1. How much does the Aleister Crowley of the Index Universe know about Touma's true power? Aleister punished Fiamma because he had seen "it". What is "it" and how does Aleister plan to use "it"?
2. How much does Touma knows about his true power before he lost his memories? His dad told him about how Touma cause misfortune to others around him yet the author decide to stop explaining his childhood further than that. After he moves to Academy City, it seems either he or someone else seal his power (my deduction) and now it only cause misfortune to Touma himself.
3. Terra and Fiamma talk about Touma's power and they seem to know about the true ability of Imagine Breaker yet Fiamma is surprised about another power inside the right arm after it was cut off. It is either bad writing on the writer's part or that Aleister was a genius that he can trick God's Right Seat into believing that Imagine Breaker is only a power to negate supernatural power because according to Terra's belief, it can extend to Touma's whole body and he can become the God of Disaster that can even erase Life itself.

Quote:
Fun thoughts (silly ideas, should not to be taken seriously)

Is Touma God, alien, or lizard because it seems even though he is supposedly an esper yet he can regenerate his right limb like magic?

Do you think that the title should change from from "Index" to "Biribiri" because it seems to me the writer favors Mikoto too much even though he name the whole series "Index", although it is a good thing, why even include characters that he does not seem to use much for the plot?

I just had a great idea, why not rename the series to "The Three Idiot Lolicon Musketeers" beginning from volume 2 of New Testament.
If you guys have any other cool ideas, let me know.
ngng is offline  
Old 2011-06-28, 23:31   Link #11725
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
@ngng

Your second point is similar to my belief as well. For your third point, its generally accepted that there is another power inside Touma separate from Imagine Breaker, something that nobody expected.

For the record, Terra only hinted that Imagine Breaker can do 'more', what that more is we don't know, maybe he was comparing IB with Fiamma's Holy Right.

And finally, Mikoto certainly doesn't hold more importance plotwise than Index, thats just a misconception because people tend not to report her doings, All females characters don't have the same level of exposure and focus that the male characters do.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-06-28, 23:37   Link #11726
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The 305
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
Even after 25 volumes, there are still many unanswered questions and hopefully I don't have to wait for all my life to get the answers.
So you finally caught up I am assuming?
Quote:
1. How much does the Aleister Crowley of the Index Universe know about Touma's true power? Aleister punished Fiamma because he had seen "it". What is "it" and how does Aleister plan to use "it"?
He most likely knows what "it" is. As for his plan with it I am not so sure. His plan is making a Heaven on Earth with AIM, any further details is a mystery and up for speculation.
Quote:
2. How much does Touma knows about his true power before he lost his memories? His dad told him about how Touma cause misfortune to others around him yet the author decide to stop explaining his childhood further than that. After he moves to Academy City, it seems either he or someone else seal his power (my deduction) and now it only cause misfortune to Touma himself.
I don't think he knew thaaat much pre-memory loss but since his memory loss it seems he has met "it" before. Most likely when Izzard cut off his arm. You notice the huge personality change.

Quote:
3. Terra and Fiamma talk about Touma's power and they seem to know about the true ability of Imagine Breaker yet Fiamma is surprised about another power inside the right arm after it was cut off. It is either bad writing on the writer's part or that Aleister was a genius that he can trick God's Right Seat into believing that Imagine Breaker is only a power to negate supernatural power because according to Terra's belief, it can extend to Touma's whole body and he can become the God of Disaster that can even erase Life itself.
Think of it in their POV which is Christian. If I remember correctly I read that it's the holy right that sealed Lucifer. Something along that line. As far as they know its a power that negates magic and not something that spreads misfortune. As for the surprise it's because Fiamma had just thought of the arm as an arm. Not a seal for an even greater power(which btw seems to be under speculation on whether its 2 or 3 powers Touma has.) that make Fiamma who is "Higher than God" shit his pants. Also, Terra NEVER said Touma would be the God of Disaster. He was cut off when Earth Blades came in and only said Touma could extend his power. Fiamma did the same as Terra though and came under the same idea that Touma must have lost his memories because he must have known what his ability can do( which to me is somewhat bad writing but I don't care since the story makes up for it.). Which if they are right is pretty HAX.


Quote:
If you guys have any other cool ideas, let me know.
Where do these ideas come from?
I_am_Kami is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 00:14   Link #11727
ngng
Cuteness is Justice!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Border Between Real and Unreal World
"God of Disaster" is something I derive from Mikoto calling Touma a disaster in 2.3 million (from volume 1 prologue) and because his power seems to be too powerful and cause so much misfortune during his childhood so I add the God part.

Terra did not call him that but from Terra's suggestion, Touma think his full power can destroy Earth or kill people's life force so if not "God of Disaster" then "Angel of Death" will suit him fine enough if the full power is something like terra's suggestion

Touma seem to know the power inside him yet he did not use it. According to my deduction, the power sleeping inside Touma is too great and evil so he cannot fully control or stop it once he lets it fully unleashed (there must be a "price" for that power)

No wonder his character attract so many girls and even change many people, he is someone who is powerless yet stood up for people who are more powerful than he is. Unlike other maniacs from shounen manga who chase after more power with the excuse of protecting their loved ones, Touma saved both his allies and enemies. He is one of the purest characters in the series because he never kill anyone yet he can still protect his precious ones.

Hopefully the author will disclose his birth and childhood because after volume 22 I don't believe he is an "ordinary high school student" much less a normal "human". Almost no one is normal in this series and yet the irony is that the most abnormal person is always calling himself "ordinary."

The antagonists in this series currently down to 2 masterminds: Laura Stuart and Aleister Crowley who both want their sides to be the winner in the end. Hopefully the Touma Faction can beat some sense into them and destroy their world domination plans.

Last edited by ngng; 2011-06-29 at 00:25.
ngng is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 00:29   Link #11728
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The 305
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
"God of Disaster" is something I derive from Mikoto calling Touma a disaster in 2.3 million (from volume 1 prologue) and because his power seems to be too powerful and cause so much misfortune during his childhood so I add the God part.

Terra did not call him that but from Terra's suggestion, Touma think his full power can destroy Earth or kill people's life force so if not "God of Disaster" then "Angel of Death" will suit him fine enough if the full power is something like terra's suggestion
Like I said, it would be a HAX power if he could do that.
Quote:
Touma seem to know the power inside him yet he did not use it. According to my deduction, the power sleeping inside Touma is too great and evil so he cannot fully control or stop it once he lets it fully unleashed (there must be a "price" for that power)
He seemed to be familiar with it but all the time he never mentions meeting it. Maybe we can get something from Volume 2 when its translated.
Quote:
No wonder his character attract so many girls and even change many people, he is someone who is powerless yet stood up for people who are more powerful than he is. Unlike other maniacs from shounen manga who chase after more power with the excuse of protecting their loved ones, Touma saved both his allies and enemies. He is one of the purest characters in the series because he never kill anyone yet he can still protect his precious ones.
He is an amazing character despite being somewhat "static" but pure is the wrong word for a guy.
Quote:
Hopefully the author will disclose his birth and childhood because after volume 22 I don't believe he is an "ordinary high school student" much less a normal "human". Almost no one is normal in this series and yet the irony is that the most abnormal person is always calling himself "ordinary."
It is definitely something to look forward to.
Quote:
The antagonists in this series currently down to 2 masterminds: Laura Stuart and Aleister Crowley who both want their sides to be the winner in the end. Hopefully the Touma Faction can beat some sense into them and destroy their world domination plans.
If I know you read NT then i'll talk about this.
I'll reply to this later in the morning.
Fuck it, did it now.

Also I have a request. Can someone please give this series their honest review? It needs one on MAL. It's number 25 on Top Manga but a review can help a bit.

Thank you.

Last edited by I_am_Kami; 2011-06-29 at 00:43.
I_am_Kami is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 00:34   Link #11729
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Im using my phone so its difficult to check, but Im certain wasnt refering to his bad luck.

As for the Terra part, you might have gotten the wrong idea; because it was Tsuchimikado that brought up the question whether IB can negate life force reason being magicians uses their life force to cast magic. This whole thing came up when Touma suggest to use IB to alter/destroy the ley line.

And I suppose one of th things that made Touma's character work for me is his 'weak' power- if he was strong, I certainly would think different of him. For that reason I don't like Negi's way of doing things.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-06-29, 00:39   Link #11730
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
I'll reply to this later in the morning.


Also I have a request. Can someone please give this series their honest review? It needs one on MAL. It's number 25 on Top Manga but a review can help a bit.

Thank you.
I like the review with the guy's story on w.a.n.k.s lets just roll with that

I don't any of us are capable of a fair and good review that would help...

Oh wait, you mean the light novel
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-06-29, 01:15   Link #11731
ngng
Cuteness is Justice!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Border Between Real and Unreal World
Quote:
As for the Terra part, you might have gotten the wrong idea; because it was Tsuchimikado that brought up the question whether IB can negate life force reason being magicians uses their life force to cast magic. This whole thing came up when Touma suggest to use IB to alter/destroy the ley line.
Thank you, it seems I got mixed up because the Imagine Breaker discussion with Terra and Motoharu is in the same volume.

Quote:
And I suppose one of th things that made Touma's character work for me is his 'weak' power- if he was strong, I certainly would think different of him. For that reason I don't like Negi's way of doing things.
You are right, he appeals to me more than any other characters, say such as Kurosaki Ichigo, Naruto.

I think it's unfair that so much money was invested for those series. They should have invested more for Index

The Science vs Religion is a very interesting topic in the real world and the novel suggests how many people are religious yet they still rely heavily on science and technology. Other issues are separation of church and state (English Civil War), church leaders abused their power (WW3 caused by Russian Orthodox Church and Roman Catholic Church) similar to the Crusades by committing murder in the name of God. No wonder the novels were sold in millions. However, I am not too sure if the novels should be sold in the US it might got bashed by conservatives who think Americans should only speak English or God is highest power and no one is superior to God.

Conservatives are very religious and they are protective of their religion yet I doubt they would follow the word of God and let people slap both of their cheeks. How many politicians follow the Ten Commandments from the Bible?

I am not sure if the author ever intend to pull in these issues for his novels, but I can say it is a very interesting piece of work full of real life controversial aspects.
ngng is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 03:00   Link #11732
ngng
Cuteness is Justice!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Border Between Real and Unreal World
Trivia: I wonder why the anime can get away with having Stiyl smoking despite being a minor yet Naruto anime will not even allow Shikamaru to smoke. I guess Stiyl look old despite only 14 years old, lucky Komoe is there to correct him though it was pretty much ineffective.

Another interesting thought: Can Touma's right hand negate Aiwass's existence since he is an existence above Angels yet similar to Angels if Touma ever meet him (and Touma will eventually since Aiwass appeared before Accelerator and Aiwass thought he should have met Touma before he went to Britain)

Last edited by ngng; 2011-06-29 at 03:32.
ngng is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 03:59   Link #11733
Drifting Wolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Also I have a request. Can someone please give this series their honest review? It needs one on MAL. It's number 25 on Top Manga but a review can help a bit.

Thank you.
Just because I'm new and everything but what's MAL? Sorry, I really need to be more active online...
Drifting Wolf is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 04:04   Link #11734
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
My AnimeList.
Zakoo is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 05:10   Link #11735
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Honestly, the only thing MAL is good for is keeping track of what you've watched/read. It's worthless for serious discussions like some we've had here.
__________________
Kuroi Hadou is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 06:14   Link #11736
Sleep_ping
The Restless FTL
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ellinia
Age: 23
Wrong guesses guys. '灼眼のシャナ’. Though I have to rush through IS as well. Promised that I will finish up volumes 2 and 3 by end of August.

@Outer: Actually, part of the reason was Army, and another part was because Baka Test was too funny not to translate. If I focus though (no Army, no distractions), 50kb a day will be easy for me.

@leukrota: Thanks for trying to stand up for me, but to be honest, I did slow down in my efforts by a whole lot, especially after joining the Army. But hayate06, he's of a different dimension.

Well, time to speed things up here. For volume 2, 2/5 of the volume is completed, and Chapter 2's at Part 3 (completed)
Sleep_ping is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 07:27   Link #11737
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Ahh, Shakugan no Shana.
I'll be looking forward to that.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 08:03   Link #11738
outerelf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bouncing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Wrong guesses guys. '灼眼のシャナ. Though I have to rush through IS as well. Promised that I will finish up volumes 2 and 3 by end of August.

@Outer: Actually, part of the reason was Army, and another part was because Baka Test was too funny not to translate. If I focus though (no Army, no distractions), 50kb a day will be easy for me.

@leukrota: Thanks for trying to stand up for me, but to be honest, I did slow down in my efforts by a whole lot, especially after joining the Army. But hayate06, he's of a different dimension.

Well, time to speed things up here. For volume 2, 2/5 of the volume is completed, and Chapter 2's at Part 3 (completed)
I never once said you were slow! I only said you were slowing down, which is perfectly fine! I know what it's like to have real life stop you.

And besides, you're your own person, so if you want to translate other projects, go ahead. Js06 will pretty soon have all of ToAru translated so there's no need to worry on that corner.

I'm just saying that I for one will miss your translations.
outerelf is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 08:06   Link #11739
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The 305
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Honestly, the only thing MAL is good for is keeping track of what you've watched/read. It's worthless for serious discussions like some we've had here.
It's true what you say but if someone see it so high ranked then that encourages them to try it out. It's not the most popular on MAL but it's highly rated as #25.
I_am_Kami is offline  
Old 2011-06-29, 08:23   Link #11740
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
It's true what you say but if someone see it so high ranked then that encourages them to try it out. It's not the most popular on MAL but it's highly rated as #25.
If it's about street cred, then we'll just hit them with "Rank 1 on Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! 2011 bitches!"


Got to hurry though, we might not keep that title for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Honestly, the only thing MAL is good for is keeping track of what you've watched/read. It's worthless for serious discussions like some we've had here.
Last time, we were discussing what's that purple stuff... >.>


Quote:
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
You are right, he appeals to me more than any other characters, say such as Kurosaki Ichigo, Naruto.

I think it's unfair that so much money was invested for those series. They should have invested more for Index
I don't want to break out the full lecture, but suffice to say- that's not how it works

There's no one big Coalition of Anime Governments (CAG) to dictate and set aside budget for all the Anime series in the World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
The Science vs Religion is a very interesting topic in the real world and the novel suggests how many people are religious yet they still rely heavily on science and technology. Other issues are separation of church and state (English Civil War), church leaders abused their power (WW3 caused by Russian Orthodox Church and Roman Catholic Church) similar to the Crusades by committing murder in the name of God. No wonder the novels were sold in millions. However, I am not too sure if the novels should be sold in the US it might got bashed by conservatives who think Americans should only speak English or God is highest power and no one is superior to God.

Conservatives are very religious and they are protective of their religion yet I doubt they would follow the word of God and let people slap both of their cheeks. How many politicians follow the Ten Commandments from the Bible?

I am not sure if the author ever intend to pull in these issues for his novels, but I can say it is a very interesting piece of work full of real life controversial aspects.

It's a two way street though; The Science side aren't squeaky clean as well with their human experiments, animal testing and child trafficking.

If this was a Bioware game, eventually you'll have to chose a side

I think we shouldn't have to worry so much about what the western side thinks- I mean, the type of people that would pick up a Light Novel, especially a title like this, is probably one of us and not someone green.

And if you think about it, a little controversy would skyrocket Toaru's popularity world wide.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.