AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-26, 21:58   Link #941
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
Hmm, just downloaded the newest DLC, and to my surprise, I didn't complete the Sel DLC? o.o apparently I somehow skipped the second mission ("Silencing the Artillery") how'd that happen, and more importantly, how do i play that mission

edit: it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with blowing up that tank would it? xD
It would. I haven't managed it yet either. Haven't figgered out the best way to go about it, apparently. But if you get an A on all three...
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 22:27   Link #942
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The girl's bathroom
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
It would. I haven't managed it yet either. Haven't figgered out the best way to go about it, apparently. But if you get an A on all three...
When I did it I didn't know Damon's tank was actually inside the fortress the first time I played it so did the first and third missions listed and destroyed Damon's tank then.

Then on the next attempt I disable Damon's tank with a scout getting behind it and spending two magazines on the radiator.

It makes the linked mission outside the fortress harder however but bonus mission unlocked afterwards is worth all the frustrations.
__________________

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 20:20   Link #943
cloner4000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I can't believe I missed the news of DLC coming out.....but better late than never...I still had that 5 les off from the 20I used to get the other DLC so this should complete it nicely.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 09:36   Link #944
Runty
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
A Youtuber was kind enough to put up a video playthrough of the new DLC!

http://www.youtube.com/user/probwu

I have to say, I laughed my ass off at Edy's mission. She's so win!

Spoiler for ...:
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 13:29   Link #945
cloner4000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I played some of the mission and I must say I underestimated some of them..they require careful thinking and Alicia is definitely required..I l lost count of how many time I lost the mission...haha...you also get new weapons so I think it's worth it.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 23:35   Link #946
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Hey... look what I found!
__________________
Steam Quote of Win:
(In response to a very cracky pairing)
It's more plausible than Alicia/Heavy, at least.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 03:58   Link #947
cloner4000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
WOw...just Wow....that's a great model I must say..looks very believable.. and all the details to the inside of the turret is amazing. The suspension is also very cool as it actually work as it supposed to.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 22:12   Link #948
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
DAMN IT ALL.

The last medal I have left before I've beat the game is the one where you unlock the extended bios of all the characters. I've gotten all but the following.

-Wendy
-Jann
-Nils (Who I call 'Mr. Port-a-Mortar')
-Hector
-Theold
-Rosina
-Emile
-Cezary

And, dag naggit, baggit, grabbit, dammit, dammit! I can't figure out how to unlock the last bits of them. I've gone through almost the entirety of my 3rd playthrough using these characters where I can (and Nils I always use because I gave him the Mortar), but can't unlock the last potential. ERARGARARAGH.
__________________
Steam Quote of Win:
(In response to a very cracky pairing)
It's more plausible than Alicia/Heavy, at least.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 22:33   Link #949
DC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
DAMN IT ALL.

The last medal I have left before I've beat the game is the one where you unlock the extended bios of all the characters. I've gotten all but the following.

-Wendy
-Jann
-Nils (Who I call 'Mr. Port-a-Mortar')
-Hector
-Theold
-Rosina
-Emile
-Cezary

And, dag naggit, baggit, grabbit, dammit, dammit! I can't figure out how to unlock the last bits of them. I've gone through almost the entirety of my 3rd playthrough using these characters where I can (and Nils I always use because I gave him the Mortar), but can't unlock the last potential. ERARGARARAGH.
1) Did you check in with that reporter chick back at base?
2) The very end of their bios won't be filled out until you finish the game with them alive and with all potentials. I assume that's not what you're missing?
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 22:37   Link #950
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
1) Did you check in with that reporter chick back at base?
2) The very end of their bios won't be filled out until you finish the game with them alive and with all potentials. I assume that's not what you're missing?
No, that' not. I'm missing that last damn potential. IT MAKES ME RAAAAGE.

And no, I did not check in with Ellet. I'll try that next time I boot up the game.
__________________
Steam Quote of Win:
(In response to a very cracky pairing)
It's more plausible than Alicia/Heavy, at least.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 22:40   Link #951
SoggySoyBean
Squishie
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Hmm, would this count as foreshadowing? I only noticed it now...
Spoiler for Largo was right T_T:
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 03:59   Link #952
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
Spoiler for Largo was right T_T:
Holy crap in a bottle. I never noticed that. Epic foreshadowing is epic.

---

On the note of my BFH/VC Crossover (which I intend to somehow use my failtasmic Game Maker skills to turn into a 2d Sidescrolling shooter), I need funny names for Gallian weapons. So far, the only good one I have is Rosie's [Ultra] Riveter to Rudolf's [Über] Rescue and Tommy's [Super] Typewriter. The odd thing is that the National and Gallian weapons have the same acronym [RR or RUR], so I could use this as an overall theme.
__________________
Steam Quote of Win:
(In response to a very cracky pairing)
It's more plausible than Alicia/Heavy, at least.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 08:30   Link #953
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
That's just a wee bit of a stretch to call that "foreshadowing."
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 12:42   Link #954
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Well, think about it. "Keep squawkin' here and we're likely to get sniped."

How does Isara die?
Spoiler for Have not played game/watched Anime:
__________________
Steam Quote of Win:
(In response to a very cracky pairing)
It's more plausible than Alicia/Heavy, at least.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 19:39   Link #955
KariOhki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
Hmm, would this count as foreshadowing? I only noticed it now...
Spoiler for Largo was right T_T:
I remember seeing that and kinda wincing >_o
__________________
Sakurayasha: Zakuro, Twins, Kanade, MCdio, Shota, Tall Guy, Hanadolph, Dog Spirit, Elephant Spirit, Rabbit Spirit, Pumpkin Spirits, Triplet Spirits
Gay Robots: Fabulous, Girl, Rich Gay, Pinkhair, Greenslut, Bikerdood, Fishgirl, Class Prez
Typical Eroge Anime: MC, Azmaria, Aion, Goldy, Genkigirl, Ice Queen, Teagirl
Meidoshow: Maidklutz, Meirdio, Morooka, Seiba, Glassesmeido
KariOhki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 19:48   Link #956
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariOhki View Post
I remember seeing that and kinda wincing >_o
This would actually be funny. Some time after Isara's funeral, when everyone is drowning their sorrows, Largo will suddenly shout, "I called it!"
__________________
Steam Quote of Win:
(In response to a very cracky pairing)
It's more plausible than Alicia/Heavy, at least.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 23:39   Link #957
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Well, think about it. "Keep squawkin' here and we're likely to get sniped."

How does Isara die?
Spoiler for Have not played game/watched Anime:
Yes. I've thought about it entirely.

It's a stretch.

Spoiler for for those who've played the game AND seen the anime:


Obviously I'm not going to change your mind about it; I'm just tendering my opinion that you've made a very weak and remote connection to the two events.

The scene with Largo didn't even occur in the anime, if my memory serves me correctly, so it's a moot point there.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2010-04-11 at 23:50.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 23:57   Link #958
DC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Foreshadowing:
1) prefiguration (N): the act of providing vague advance indications; representing beforehand.
2) adumbrative (Adj): indistinctly prophetic

The screen cap shows Largo warning about taking focus off of the objective and talking in a combat zone, saying that if they do that it's likely one of them will be shot. The two people on either side of him when he says this are Isara and Rosie - the two characters who DO EXACTLY THE THING HE WARNED AGAINST and stop to talk in a combat zone, during which one of them is, as Largo said in this picture was going to happen, shot and killed. That counts as foreshadowing. Remember that in any visual medium (game/film) the directors are given a very set amount of time to tell a full story - if something is included you can be sure that they thought long and hard about it before putting it in.

Edit: The fact that he didn't specify Isara doesn't matter for the purpose of the foreshadow. Neither does the fact that he meant that the talking would draw attention to the group, which wasn't what happened with Rosie/Isara later on. The exact words he said (taken as words) match the situation that occurred later in the game. Foreshadowing doesn't need to be specific, nor does it need to exactly describe a situation as it occurs point for point - in fact, the best foreshadowing is often vague, and isn't even noticed for what it is until after the event it foreshadows. Very often even then it is still slightly off or used in one context at the time it's introduced, but taken in a different context when the actual event finally happens.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 07:07   Link #959
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
Foreshadowing:
1) prefiguration (N): the act of providing vague advance indications; representing beforehand.
2) adumbrative (Adj): indistinctly prophetic

The screen cap shows Largo warning about taking focus off of the objective and talking in a combat zone, saying that if they do that it's likely one of them will be shot. The two people on either side of him when he says this are Isara and Rosie - the two characters who DO EXACTLY THE THING HE WARNED AGAINST and stop to talk in a combat zone, during which one of them is, as Largo said in this picture was going to happen, shot and killed. That counts as foreshadowing. Remember that in any visual medium (game/film) the directors are given a very set amount of time to tell a full story - if something is included you can be sure that they thought long and hard about it before putting it in.

Edit: The fact that he didn't specify Isara doesn't matter for the purpose of the foreshadow. Neither does the fact that he meant that the talking would draw attention to the group, which wasn't what happened with Rosie/Isara later on. The exact words he said (taken as words) match the situation that occurred later in the game. Foreshadowing doesn't need to be specific, nor does it need to exactly describe a situation as it occurs point for point - in fact, the best foreshadowing is often vague, and isn't even noticed for what it is until after the event it foreshadows. Very often even then it is still slightly off or used in one context at the time it's introduced, but taken in a different context when the actual event finally happens.
That's all well and good, except that's not what happened. But whatever. *shrug*

Furthermore, I'm interested to learn where you found such a broad definition of the word that seems to suit your argument so well, because the more accepted American-English dictionaries have far less broad and expansive definitions of the word "foreshadow."

It's also interesting how you say it's very general, but very specific at the same time. It doesn't matter that part X of the scene is general, but it matters that part Y is very specific. And how you describe the interaction between Rosie and Isara as just "stopping to talk," which is not what happened in the "foreshadowing" moment at all, but makes for a weak comparison. It's not them talking and taking focus off the combat zone; it's being loud and drawing attention when they're trying to be discrete. If it were just about "stopping to talk," 1) Largo would be guilty of that every single battle; and 2) he'd be making that comment to others every two minutes. It's also somewhat remote from the later incident. To be more effective, the two scenes should've been placed closer together.

That sad part about what I'm saying is that, yes, you're probably right in the sense that the game makers DID want this to be foreshadowing... but they did a really bad job at it. Still, it's reaaaaaaalllly easy to go back and make these connections now that everyone has had months and months to think about the game's events.

None of this really matters because I'll continue to think it is a stretch to call that foreshadowing and y'all will think it's great. *shrug* Just an opinion.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2010-04-12 at 07:33.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 13:12   Link #960
DC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Oh, don't get me wrong. I said a lot of the best foreshadowing is often very vague (though to clarify, not always - vague foreshadowing generally can't stand alone to really work, it has to be one part in conjunction with many others, making the process of foreshadowing more effective than its components), but I didn't necessarily say that this was a good example of 'the best foreshadowing'. There are many things VC did very well - in my opinion the writing was not one of them.

I got the definition from Princeton online dictionary. the Miriam-Webster definition is: to represent, indicate, or typify beforehand. I'd say the above still qualifies as a representation.

I unfortunately agree with you that, as the game was written, Largo was just as guilty of what he was warning against and that he otherwise SHOULD have been saying that every two minutes. As I said, the game was pretty inconsistent on those grounds, and the writing wasn't as cohesive as it could and probably should have been. That said, the very fact that he points it out in such a screen - even when otherwise everything is just business as usual and there's really no difference between what's going on there and what looks to be the norm for the Squad - seems to indicate that the inclusion of the comment and the framing of the characters involved was deliberate.

About the X and Y - What I meant was that foreshadowing can be taken in one context at the time it's introduced (here Rosie and Isara arguing [talking in a combat zone], and later Rosie apologizing to Isara [the thematic opposite from what they were doing beforehand, but STILL talking in a combat zone]). Largo meant that they shouldn't be talking because they'd give their position away, both allowing a sniper to locate them and keeping the two characters' focus off of the patrol and any potential threats that may be approaching. However, it's also stopping to talk that gets Isara killed later - slightly different circumstances [the enemy already knew where they were] but the same application (they weren't focused on any potential threats, as they should have been).

I'm not saying it was GOOD foreshadowing that was consistent with how the characters normally acted, I'm just saying I think it was clearly intended to be seen as foreshadowing.

Last edited by DC20; 2010-04-12 at 13:38.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.