AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-05, 01:20   Link #141
Guppy

You might want to mark that one as a game spoiler, Manji; someone might think it's only an episode 1 spoiler and open it accidentally.

I have a feeling they probably won't do it in the end - too much risk of offending this or that segment of the fanbase, for too little additional gain plotwise. If we see any anime-original characters pop up, though, they're definitely fair game.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:29   Link #142
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
One of my favourite aspects of the game was that it spent time exploring the characters as people, rather than having everything on and off the battlefield revolve around war and fighting, and I hope the anime continues that trend.
I agree, but it's still weird to have that bleed over into battlefield scenes. In a way, having them not respond to danger in any way takes away from their humanity, and makes it harder to empathize with them. There needs to be two sides to this. All war and battle is bad, but so's all light-hearted banter. The duality provides depth.

Quote:
I have a feeling they probably won't do it in the end - too much risk of offending this or that segment of the fanbase, for too little additional gain plotwise. If we see any anime-original characters pop up, though, they're definitely fair game.
I disagree. The not-quite-generic soldiers are the perfect candidates for "anyone can die" war-drama stuff, which the game clearly intended to at least nod in the direction of. Maybe just the older ones though.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:30   Link #143
Chrono Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
so...let me get this straight..
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:34   Link #144
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
what are the chances they...
Spoiler:
Well, we all want to see our favorite characters. Vyse and Aika are inseparable. There's Marina, and I also want Juno to appear in the anime. Fina is the only medic (or maybe at least the main one), so she has to be there as well. Then again, depending on how the anime will handle the battle side of things, there's also a chance that she might not appear at all.

We have already seen a supporting militia member in episode 1, and I'm guessing the ED is our biggest clue on which characters will be appearing later on. I'm glad that Jann is in the ED.

And yeah... that is a very big spoiler.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:54   Link #145
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I agree, but it's still weird to have that bleed over into battlefield scenes. In a way, having them not respond to danger in any way takes away from their humanity, and makes it harder to empathize with them. There needs to be two sides to this. All war and battle is bad, but so's all light-hearted banter. The duality provides depth.
I take your point, but what bothers me more about them not responding to the danger...
Spoiler for ep. 1:
Quote:
I disagree. The not-quite-generic soldiers are the perfect candidates for "anyone can die" war-drama stuff, which the game clearly intended to at least nod in the direction of.
They could do it without destroying the spirit of the game, true... but that's not really the issue. What I mean is that I think killing off the minor characters is risking DVD sales; I suspect a good chunk of viewers and DVD buyers will have played the game, bonded with their own "favourite" team that got them through it, kept them alive and seen their happy ending in the postscript. A game player who sees their own preferred characters get killed off is more likely to be unhappy with the anime and not buy the DVDs, which I'm not sure they'll want to take a chance on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Fina is the only medic (or maybe at least the main one), so she has to be there as well. Then again, depending on how the anime will handle the battle side of things, there's also a chance that she might not appear at all.
She's in at least one game cutscene, so unless they change that (and I don't see a reason to cut her out) she'll show up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I'm glad that Jann is in the ED.
Jann but no Dallas. Wonder if that's a statement on the expected ratio of yaoi-to-yuri viewers.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:59   Link #146
Clarste
Human

Quote:
They could do it without destroying the spirit of the game, true... but that's not really the issue. What I mean is that I think killing off the minor characters is risking DVD sales; I suspect a good chunk of viewers and DVD buyers will have played the game, bonded with their own "favourite" team that got them through it, kept them alive and seen their happy ending in the postscript. A game player who sees their own preferred characters get killed off is more likely to be unhappy with the anime and not buy the DVDs, which I'm not sure they'll want to take a chance on.
So capitalism might be writing the plot? That's kind of sad.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 02:02   Link #147
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
So capitalism might be writing the plot? That's kind of sad.
Anime is a business, whether we like it or not. Just that the business also happens to provide much needed entertainment.

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 08:50   Link #148
kaosmos

just watched the first eps, love the fact that they kept the game soundtrack for the anime.

i also love how they included one of the side char (susie i think?..),i didn't especially liked that girl in the game so i didn't bother to check her profile,i didn't knew she was part of the militia.

but...:

Spoiler for possible spoiler game/anime about isaraXalicia:
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 09:03   Link #149
trakker
Comical Scamp

Spoiler for reply to kaosmos spoiler:
trakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 19:56   Link #150
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

I'm wondering if they'll show all of the confirmed Bruhl natives of Squad 7 in the early part of the anime.

So far we have (obviously) Welkin, Alicia, and Isara. And now Susie, although her game profile doesn't mention where she's from other than being 'the daughter of a frontier tycoon'.

Spoiler for other confirmed Bruhl natives (via game profiles):

This doesn't preclude other people like Susie being also from Bruhl in the anime. But it is interesting that they chose her to be in the first episode.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 06:58   Link #151
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I didn't really mind the differences too much. It's obvious why they're doing it: to get Alicia, Welkin and Isara out of Bruhl quicker. But I will miss
Spoiler for Game early on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
This doesn't preclude other people like Susie being also from Bruhl in the anime. But it is interesting that they chose her to be in the first episode.
Yes, that was a surprise.

Did anyone else notice that the ED hinted heavily at a massive spoiler?

Also: I'm so glad they managed to keep Isara's display of badass in, even if they had to flip it around a bit first.

Last edited by spawnofthejudge; 2009-04-07 at 07:47.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 09:46   Link #152
kaosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I didn't really mind the differences too much. It's obvious why they're doing it: to get Alicia, Welkin and Isara out of Bruhl quicker. But I will miss
Spoiler for Game early on:

Yes, that was a surprise.

Did anyone else notice that the ED hinted heavily at a massive spoiler?

Also: I'm so glad they managed to keep Isara's display of badass in, even if they had to flip it around a bit first.
Spoiler for spoiler guess?:
Old 2009-04-07, 09:51   Link #153
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmos View Post
Spoiler for spoiler guess?:
Not what I was referencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Perhaps not 'dramatic', but for me, she had always been a little (and a bit fluffy in the head) in the game, and wasn't nearly as serious or suspicious as she was in the anime. In other words, she just wasn't much of a careful person

I suppose its best illustrated by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBZs...eature=related

- Tak
Really?

Spoiler for Prologue:

Last edited by spawnofthejudge; 2009-04-07 at 10:26.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 10:57   Link #154
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:

Really?

Spoiler for Prologue:
Referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHjh...eature=related

Er, that is absolutely not what she said. She said 'don't move, and slowly raise your hands'. Then Welkin asked who they were, and she actually gave a full introduction of her rank, her squadron and her purpose (finding Imperial spies lurking in the area).

Or, are you joking?

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-07 at 11:12.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 11:16   Link #155
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHjh...eature=related

Er, that is not what she said. She actually gave a full introduction of her rank, her squadron and her purpose (finding Imperial spies lurking in the area).

Or, are you joking?

- Tak
I took a direct quote from the English version of the game (since you know, I played that one). She goes on to identify her affiliations and name, sure, but her first statement to him asking her name is reminding him who was in control. I don't think she's exhibiting flighty or "fluffy in the head" instincts here. The reason she comes off of the misunderstanding so quickly is that in the game, she knows Isara. Not to mention her showing up. In the anime, this is apparently not true, or she's so concerned about being shot at and possibly helping a spy that she forgot.

And we're able to see the other side of Alicia with the other Bruhl townspeople in the anime, while in the game we're forced straight into the tutorial battle. We do see her stubbornly refuse to believe Welkin a couple times, though there's not as much time dedicated to it. I really don't think they made her significantly more serious or competent, I just think they showed it more.
Old 2009-04-07, 11:20   Link #156
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
I don't think she's exhibiting flighty or "fluffy in the head" instincts here.
Actually, when I said 'fluffy' I was referring to her handling of Welkin's notes.

"Fish, flowers, plants. Wow, you are quite good at drawing."

"No! But these may be a new Imperial spy code!"

Me: /facepalm!

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 11:29   Link #157
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Actually, when I said 'fluffy' I was referring to her handling of Welkin's notes.

"Fish, flowers, plants. Wow, you are quite good at drawing."

"No! But these may be a new Imperial spy code!"

Me: /facepalm!

- Tak
That says "Stubborn" to me. Certainly facepalm worthy, I won't disagree there, but still. Being on the border, they probably had a spy scare at some point, or were taught to do such until proven otherwise. There is after all, the off-chance that she's right. That'd be a code that would require very... erm... talented spies though . Also, it's all worth it for her face when Isara breaks the news .
Old 2009-04-08, 13:16   Link #158
Sides

DLC is coming out next week, 16th April 2009. The DLC are the same that has already been out for the JPN version. The price is 3.19/3.99/$4.99 for each package, multiply it by 3 to get the sum for all 3 DLCs.

more infosa on Sega europe blog and sega USA blog
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 13:27   Link #159
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
DLC is coming out next week, 16th April 2009. The DLC are the same that has already been out for the JPN version. The price is 3.19/3.99/$4.99 for each package, multiply it by 3 to get the sum for all 3 DLCs.

more infosa on Sega europe blog and sega USA blog

Those screens are just so teasing.
Old 2009-04-09, 07:34   Link #160
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I was thinking of what game franchise could use the Valkyria Chronicles CANVAS engine and BLiTZ battle system. Then it hit me;
Warhammer 40,000.

Think about it, a popular game franchise with great artwork and warfare strategy would make good use of the CANVAS engine and the BLiTZ battle system.

Imagine seeing your Allies and Enemies in Beautiful artwork and watching them die as they get kill by your/enemy excellent strategies. Now that's a game i would like to see.