AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-15, 11:17   Link #1761
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I wonder who's got the longevity record of being in the Top 10 female anime characters.
Probably Lum.
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2012-01-15, 11:23   Link #1762
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
@Tak: is that shiznat as your sig?? X3
Hell yeah!

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 06:07   Link #1763
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
...

You lot are boring...

GC's Shuu was 5th on the back of the first 8-10 episodes or so, and there's no reaction...?

*sighs*


This month's (March Newtype) poll...

__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes



Last edited by karice67; 2012-02-17 at 05:17. Reason: updating the scan
karice67 is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 08:56   Link #1764
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Geeze, Shu is not really the most interesting protagonist and Inori still has a distinct lack of an own personlity. I guess Aquarion EVOL and Rinne no Lagrange haven't made their impact yet on the list.

Nonetheless, Sheryl continues to persist and that is a good thing!
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 12:43   Link #1765
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
You know... Evol doesn't have interesting characters, or at least, I am not yet convinced. I'll wait, though...

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 13:16   Link #1766
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Eh, I like them all a lot. Amata is a really nice protagonist, I like Mikono, Zessica, Shrade, Cayenne, Andy... I guess the only one who goes on my nerves is Mix. Hey, most of the bad guys are interesting, too!

Quite different than the original series, where I wanted to punch most of the cast for being hugely obnoxious. Especially Apollo.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 14:24   Link #1767
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Quite different than the original series, where I wanted to punch most of the cast for being hugely obnoxious. Especially Apollo.
See if the original Aquarion can incite this reaction from you, then it must have done something right about characterization

See, I wanted to punch Alto too, but after the 2nd movie, I started to like him.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 20:47   Link #1768
Darthtabby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Yeah, Guilty Crown's characters should not be ranking that high. That show is not one of Yoshino's best works.

I wouldn't mind seeing some Rinne no Lagrange characters make the list in the future either.

(BTW, is it okay to discuss too much about non Macross F characters here? I kind of enjoy discussing a bit about the current stuff wih this crowd, but such discussions can get a bit OT.)
Darthtabby is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 23:20   Link #1769
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Yeah, Guilty Crown's characters should not be ranking that high. That show is not one of Yoshino's best works.
It's a manga first... so I guess you have to look at the original author for that comment. They are only following the storyline of the manga. No anime has ever done the manga justice that I can find.


BTW, I agree that Shu is hardly worth that spot, but parts of the series make me wonder if he should be the bad guy. He'd make a good one considering his sudden mood change since Haru's death.
Inori, however, has a very cold personality so far. And since there's only 22 episodes and we're at 16, that leaves 6 episodes to sum up everything. So I doubt that'll change much. However, I hate to say this, but I think she's up this far because she's hot. She's about the only real character they draw on pixiv.

---

As for Aquarion EVOL, it might take a bit longer. Looking back at posts of Macross Frontier, it took till about E12 for any of them to really rise in the polls, even just Sheryl. So let's wait a bit longer. It's a 26-episode series and we're only 7 episodes in. Give it time, people.


BTW, I disagree with you Tak, we're not that far in to say there aren't any interesting characters. We don't even know all of the characters' backgrounds yet. I say wait until at least episode 12, that's almost halfway through.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 23:38   Link #1770
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
BTW, I disagree with you Tak, we're not that far in to say there aren't any interesting characters. We don't even know all of the characters' backgrounds yet. I say wait until at least episode 12, that's almost halfway through.
You know, it wouldn't hurt if you try reading people's posts carefully, since I stated... quite clearly in mine that I'll wait...

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2012-02-13, 23:47   Link #1771
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You know, it wouldn't hurt if you try reading people's posts carefully, since I stated... quite clearly in mine that I'll wait...

- Tak
Read back. Okay, my bad.

Still, I find one in particular a bit interest... *coughkaguracough*
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 00:50   Link #1772
Darthtabby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It's a manga first... so I guess you have to look at the original author for that comment. They are only following the storyline of the manga. No anime has ever done the manga justice that I can find.


BTW, I agree that Shu is hardly worth that spot, but parts of the series make me wonder if he should be the bad guy. He'd make a good one considering his sudden mood change since Haru's death.
Inori, however, has a very cold personality so far. And since there's only 22 episodes and we're at 16, that leaves 6 episodes to sum up everything. So I doubt that'll change much. However, I hate to say this, but I think she's up this far because she's hot. She's about the only real character they draw on pixiv.
I'm pretty sure Guilty Crown is an anime original. The manga started publication in November while the anime started airing in October. It's pretty common practice for original anime series to have an accompanying manga. I generally consider the manga to be second fiddle in such cases.

Part of the reason I'm disappointed with Guilty Crown is because Yoshino was the lead writer for two of my top three favorite anime series (aside from Frontier he also wrote almost all the episodes for Mai-HiME). His writing has often been a bit iffy with regards to plot and such but he's pulled off some excellent character building and character driven storytelling in some of his past works. So it's disappointing to see him work on a series where the characterisation has been so problematic.
Darthtabby is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 01:15   Link #1773
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You know... Evol doesn't have interesting characters, or at least, I am not yet convinced. I'll wait, though...

- Tak
The bold part is what I am referring to. Then I stated that I am interested in a character. So I was disagreeing that there weren't any interesting characters so far. I did not give a time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm pretty sure Guilty Crown is an anime original. The manga started publication in November while the anime started airing in October. It's pretty common practice for original anime series to have an accompanying manga. I generally consider the manga to be second fiddle in such cases.

Part of the reason I'm disappointed with Guilty Crown is because Yoshino was the lead writer for two of my top three favorite anime series (aside from Frontier he also wrote almost all the episodes for Mai-HiME). His writing has often been a bit iffy with regards to plot and such but he's pulled off some excellent character building and character driven storytelling in some of his past works. So it's disappointing to see him work on a series where the characterisation has been so problematic.
We shouldn't get into a dispute about whom wrote Frontier, because it says Kawamori did, not Yoshino. So you'll just start that war all over again (as I already did and now, with some research, have found Wikipedia to be correct).

I double checked though, and you're right: the manga came second. However, not too far after the series began. November of 2011 whilst the series aired in October 2011. I believe that was around the time episode 4 appeared.

Regardless, Yoshino has mostly done screenplays. However, when he has worked on script writing and series composition, the series didn't do so well with publicity. He hasn't been very good at plot to begin with nor character build. Usually, others help him with that. Code Geass was proof.

Still, it appears to be the hottest and most popular fall/winter series by far.

And in my personal opinion, it has the best animation for an action/mecha series this year, even with Aquarion EVOL.
__________________

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2012-02-14 at 01:24. Reason: fixed double post
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 01:50   Link #1774
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
See if the original Aquarion can incite this reaction from you, then it must have done something right about characterization

See, I wanted to punch Alto too, but after the 2nd movie, I started to like him.

- Tak
Not that Alto from the series deserves to be punched... well, after episode nine, that is.

But I am very happy with the cast of EVOL so far... they are an interesting bunch, even Mix. Still a bit stereotypical in many cases, but they have a lot of episodes to work with to give them more depth.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2012-02-15, 00:46   Link #1775
Darthtabby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
We shouldn't get into a dispute about whom wrote Frontier, because it says Kawamori did, not Yoshino. So you'll just start that war all over again (as I already did and now, with some research, have found Wikipedia to be correct).

Regardless, Yoshino has mostly done screenplays. However, when he has worked on script writing and series composition, the series didn't do so well with publicity. He hasn't been very good at plot to begin with nor character build. Usually, others help him with that. Code Geass was proof.
I would say that doing both Series Composition and writing the scripts for all the episodes of Frontier makes Yoshino the writer for the series. Can you explain to me why that's even up for dispute here?

As for series not doing well with publicity when he does Series Composition and Script writing/screeplays -have you taken a look at how successful a lot of the shows he's worked on have been?

Now with regards to character development, I consider Mai-HiME and Frontier to be shows with excellent character development (albeit not for every individual character -both of them have some characters that didn't turn out that great) and he pretty much wrote every episode of both of those with the exception of Episode 16 of the former. Also the overall writing for those two shows seems a lot less scattershot to me than the writing in Guilty Crown does.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2012-02-15 at 01:01.
Darthtabby is offline  
Old 2012-02-15, 01:42   Link #1776
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I would say that doing both Series Composition and writing the scripts for all the episodes of Frontier makes Yoshino the writer for the series. Can you explain to me why that's even up for dispute here?
I already brought up the argument once. Don't do it again. You'll start another war. If you checked in the 2nd movie thread, you'd know this and you wouldn't have even responded.

Quote:
As for series not doing well with publicity when he does Series Composition and Script writing/screeplays -have you taken a look at how successful a lot of the shows he's worked on have been?
Successful in their time but none so memorable as Macross Frontier has been as of late. If they're not memorable, I hardly count them as "successful."

Quote:
Also the overall writing for those two shows seems a lot less scattershot to me than the writing in Guilty Crown does.
I'll admit that Guilty Crown is a little shot, but like most of us watching the show, we're hoping for a second season. It has the most action of this season next to a few other shows. It could do without the cliche romance between Haru and Shu - which never happened; but otherwise, it's OK as a watch. I think if it was more shounen based and allowed character growth even just on the male side, then it might turn out better; but I think that Yoshino has a certain way he wants this story to go.

I can't speak for Yoshino directly, but as a writer, if you're just writing the story as you go to the next episode, you usually tend to mess up your plot and characters. I think this is the first time in which Yoshino has worked on a series and then immediately began animation for it. All the others had at least a year in between to work out the kinks. This one appears to be lost.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2012-02-15, 01:55   Link #1777
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
But I am very happy with the cast of EVOL so far... they are an interesting bunch, even Mix. Still a bit stereotypical in many cases, but they have a lot of episodes to work with to give them more depth.
Well, tbh, I was never a big Aquarion fan. That show was weird even by Japanese standards, and I honestly think the script was constructed while its writers deliberately got high...

Still, Gepard brings nostalgia. After all, the 'Cheetah' reminds me of the VF-171.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2012-02-15, 03:19   Link #1778
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well, tbh, I was never a big Aquarion fan. That show was weird even by Japanese standards, and I honestly think the script was constructed while its writers deliberately got high...

Still, Gepard brings nostalgia. After all, the 'Cheetah' reminds me of the VF-171.

- Tak
I wasn't a big fan of the original, either. But this version is just great fun. As I said, I like the cast a lot. The antagonists are not as aloof from normal human motives as to be unrelatable. The show looks great, the humor is well done, the action is cool. Together with Rinne no Lagrange, that makes two excellent mecha shows in one season... a real treat after the drought of the last few years.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2012-02-15, 03:27   Link #1779
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I wasn't a big fan of the original, either. But this version is just great fun. As I said, I like the cast a lot. The antagonists are not as aloof from normal human motives as to be unrelatable. The show looks great, the humor is well done, the action is cool. Together with Rinne no Lagrange, that makes two excellent mecha shows in one season... a real treat after the drought of the last few years.
The original seemed to be more of a downer because there was no one but the main cast, supporting roles, and villains alive. The planet seemed barren, at least for the series. However, the OVAs and movie seemed to include outside people, as if the planet was inhabited besides the people mentioned above.

This new series not only has a new cast that are relatable but the planet isn't barren. So you get to see other people as well, which makes it seem more interesting. Though, like with every mecha show, I have to ask myself what the onlooking people are thinking when the machines fight through the city... "oh crap, my house is ruined, I hope the government covers that." Either way, it's certainly one of the best comedies this season. The good part is there is some originality to the comedy this time around.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2012-02-15, 04:50   Link #1780
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
So, Aquarion. Yeah... Me likes it.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.