AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-05, 19:59   Link #1
newsbinreporter

Suggestions for Law or Business related anime

I love business and law, and I love anime. Is there any anime that is law or business related ? Something like Black Jack but with a different setting. I see on AnimeNFO that there are 20 Law mangas. I do not read Japanese, so I am looking for either anime or translated mangas.

Would also be awesome if that make a Phoenix Wright anime.

Thanks.
Old 2008-07-05, 20:11   Link #2
FuzzyWuzzy

Ghost in a Shell
Maybe.
Old 2008-07-05, 21:04   Link #3
james0246

Well Salaryman Kintaro immediatly springs to mind.
Old 2008-07-05, 21:24   Link #4
tbl
Affably Evil

Kurosagi - Manga and Live Action (Business).
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-07-06, 02:09   Link #5
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
Objection!
Old 2008-07-06, 05:45   Link #6
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsbinreporter View Post
I love business and law, and I love anime. Is there any anime that is law or business related ? Something like Black Jack but with a different setting. I see on AnimeNFO that there are 20 Law mangas. I do not read Japanese, so I am looking for either anime or translated mangas.

Would also be awesome if that make a Phoenix Wright anime.

Thanks.
Spice & Wolf / Ookami to Koushinryou involves plots around merchant business...might be of interest to watch.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:35   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's not much that I can think of in this category except perhaps Hataraki Man, a story about a female editor in a Japanese publishing house. It focuses much more on workplace relationships than larger business or legal issues, though.

I can't think of a show that portrays business in a serious and even-handed manner. Most depictions of business take the cliched evil conglomerates perspective (Noein and Black Lagoon, for instance). Series depicting legal matters are even rarer in my experience; I can't think of any. Again when attorneys appear they're usually there to facilitate the villain's evil intentions; the attorney in the current Daughter of Twenty Faces is a good example.

Laws and rules do matter in some series but how those laws and rules got made usually takes place off-screen. In the just-completed Toshokan Sensou, for instance, the politics that creates the pro-censorship and anti-censorship factions is hinted at but not really fleshed out. Some of the imperial Asian costume dramas like Saiunkoku Monogatari or Seirei no Moribito tred similar ground, though the politics in SaiMono is more extensively depicted than in most shows.

The closest things I can think of are mystery/thriller types of shows like Monster, Shion no Ou, Paranoia Agent, or even Mononoke. None of these depict the process of law-making, of course, only the process of enforcement. Junni Kokki portrays a Confucian society and has some philosophical discussions about good rulers and good laws.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:38   Link #8
Aquillion

You might like Gallery Fake. It sort of has the same style as Phoenix Wright.
Old 2008-07-06, 19:48   Link #9
newsbinreporter

Awesome. Got more recommendations than I thought I would. You guys are the best.

Is any of the series good ?
Old 2008-07-06, 23:49   Link #10
wao
OK.

Maybe the new Yakushiji Ryouko no Jikenbo might interest you, it's not quite law or business but I heard it involves a more professional setting than usual. Overachieving alpha females and whatnot.
Only one episode's out and I don't think it's subbed yet but it will be soon.
Heard they watered down the story (or was it inserted an original one) but apparently the original is good so if you might wait for that...

If you're okay with just a business setting then I second Hataraki Man as well. REC also involves some of it although it is very short and focuses mostly on the working life of a seiyuu (but her boyfriend works in a food company and ends up working with her to help market a new snack)

Aside from that, hm.... It's true there aren't many shows dealing with law. Hm. My favourite series which features relatively realistic depictions of the workplace and problematic issues where business sometimes comes into place would be Planetes. I think the part where the guy from Africa tried to sell his stuff but nobody listened might interest you perhaps (but then again, there's a lot of other stuff unrelated to your interest)

It is indeed a lot easier to find this sort of stuff in manga...
Old 2008-07-07, 05:58   Link #11
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Sumomo has a lead who wants to be a lawyer and is constantly trying to quote the law to solve his problems. However the series is almost certainly not the kind of thing you're looking for, as it's an ecchi comedy/action. But it was funny. And is the first thing that pops to mind as far as 'legal' anime goes.
Closed Thread