AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2003-11-10, 19:46   Link #1
shiznitty

Scrapped Princess Novel / Manga discussion

when was the manga for it written?
shiznitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 18:22   Link #2
Love Witch
Trying to think...

I don't know the exact date, bu tit was after the anime anyway
Love Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 00:27   Link #3
shiznitty

are you sure? i saw a model of pacifica in one of the old hobby japan magazines when looking at old gundam models. the magazine was ancient
shiznitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 11:18   Link #4
Carrackus

Send a message via AIM to Carrackus
Scrapped Princess came out in Graphic Novels first. Then it went to the anime series. THEN (lol) it went to manga somewhere inbetween the anime series.

Hopefully someone good will license the Graphic Novels
Carrackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 19:06   Link #5
Dorfl

Carrackus, what's that weird creature in your avatar?
Old 2003-11-26, 01:56   Link #6
Carrackus

Send a message via AIM to Carrackus
haha it's a Domo-kun!

i think its a childrens show character. Its awesome isnt it haha
Carrackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 03:58   Link #7
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Um... that post just confused the hell out of me. 'Graphic Novels' are the screwed up American name for 'manga'. Always have, always will be (unless they drop it... but I can only dream). Nothing will ever start as a graphic novel, since that directly opposes the meaning and origin of the term. It's like saying the movie came before the screen play.

And Domo-kun is kinda like... God... you know, I don't think we have an American version of Domo-kun. Anyway, he has adventures with a bunny and... some other animal that I appear to have forgotten about... do a Google search and be amazed.

Also, 'Kogepan' holds the same cult status as Domo-kun. He's that depressed little brown guy you usually see hugging his knees.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 14:02   Link #8
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Um... that post just confused the hell out of me. 'Graphic Novels' are the screwed up American name for 'manga'. Always have, always will be (unless they drop it... but I can only dream). Nothing will ever start as a graphic novel, since that directly opposes the meaning and origin of the term. It's like saying the movie came before the screen play.
Actually Graphic Novels are usually a reference to a collected edition of a comic, and manga=comic. The term applies to collected editions of domestic comics as well, so no, it's not "the screwed up American name for manga". What's so messed up about the term Graphic Novel? It's a novel in graphic (picture) form instead of being strictly prose. Makes perfect sense.

Appleseed book 1 was released as a manga volume (which is admittedly rare) and was never serialized. So, yes, a manga can appear in Graphic Novel form first.

I'm a little confused as well though. Did Scrapped Princess first appear as a set of novels that were then animated, and then a manga was made following the anime? Or was the story first released as a volume of manga, then was animated, and now it's being serialized (or a new manga is being serialized)?
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 17:13   Link #9
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Hah! I found it. Scrapped Princess was a novel first. So it's just like Houshin Engi and Full Metal Panic.

And manga is to graphic novel as square is to rectangle. Got it. I didn't think they even bothered to compile serialized comics, so I stand corrected. However, serialized or not, manga is never called a 'graphic novel' until it's brought to the states. It's simply called either 'serialized' or 'volumized' (Japanese terms being 'tankouban').
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 05:57   Link #10
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Indeed, the original story for Scrapped Princess is a 13 volume _novel_ series released in the same magazine as Slayers, Full Metal Panic!, Orphen, Lost Universe, Maburaho, and a pile of other series.

The story was then animated, and mid-run or so the (hideous) manga started its publication (not sure what publisher, probably Kadokawa.)

Think this:

novel -> radio drama (1999)
novel -> anime (2003)
novel -> manga (2003)
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-02, 12:35   Link #11
carmolita

does the manga or novel vary from the anime ? I was considering buying the manga and then I heard that the novel is coming out..if it's identical to the anime than i won't purchase it..
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 13:18   Link #12
BaronNoir

The manga is widely different. I have read both volumes, and there is not a SINGLE scene that have been took in the anime.

(Pacifica is a lot more likable, which is nice)
BaronNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 23:07   Link #13
Apterous
Cutie Honey Fansubber
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Apterous
Exclamation Scrapped Princess Novels 4+ NOT licensed by TokyoPop

Hey,

I noticed that the Scrapped Princess light novels were several months behind (Volume 4 was supposed to come out in July or something, 5 should have come out too), so I wrote to someone in the TokyoPop marketing department from their contact page, and actually got a response:

Quote:
Hi, Sailor Spork!

Thanks for the email we only licensed from the Japanese publisher first three volumes, which make up the first arc of the series. We made a publishing decision not to pursue the other volumes/arcs from the Japanese publisher its possible that another publisher will release the English adaptation of the next adventures in the Scrapped Princess franchise.

Im glad you like the series, and I hope we see someone else pick up the next volumes and release them in English.

Thanks again for checking in.

Best wishes,
Marco
While I'm disappointed that TP won't be releasing any more volumes, at least they responded to me so I wouldn't be keeping my hopes up. I wanted to pass the word along to everyone else as well, in case there were other people like me that always checked the "S" section just in case another volume had slipped out.

On a side note, who sees any chance of anyone else picking this up and finishing it?
Old 2009-02-23, 02:22   Link #14
Matt122005

Heh, what are the chances? Considering your post was made in December of 2007, and its now February 2009. Not alot. haha

It's really sad too, because Scrapped Princess is a pretty good series.

In fact, I wrote a book review for it on online at a popular light novel website.

Sadly, the novels never got anough of a fanbase to even warrant a translation. Which again, is really sad.

But it would be nice if someone would come to translate the rest, since TokyoPop will not be releasing anymore, ever again. <_<

Its quite an interesting world, and story. Not to mention some very decent nice looking artwork in the series.

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 11:37   Link #15
DanielSong39

How did the novel series end?

I'd guess it's a bit different from the anime...
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 12:31   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronNoir View Post
The manga is widely different. I have read both volumes, and there is not a SINGLE scene that have been took in the anime.

(Pacifica is a lot more likable, which is nice)
but the art work was complete crap. i can't believed the artwork in the manga was by a professional artist.

Tags
light novels, shounen