AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-29, 00:40   Link #1861
ijriims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: HK, China
Extending the religion theme, Kyrie was used in prayer, meaning "O Lord".

Eva meant "life" or "living one" (Hey, she was the survivor in EP3, wasn't she?)

Rudolf meant "fame" or "wolf" (In divine comedy, Dante met a she-wolf in the Inferno, and that she-wolf had problem of too strong sexual desire and wantonness.)

Rosa meant "rose", and you knew virgin mary. (Or you can think of the always disappearing rose, so extending this metaphor, Rosa should be here but could not be found...)

Maria was also virgin mary...

Krauss.... someone with curly hair.................

With some other names' meaning:

George : Farmer or earth-worker....

Jessica: The God is watching, or rich (surely she was rich)

Battler: Obviously made up name by Ryukishi07, but he was also living up his name.

Shannon: little wise owl...

Kanon (Canon?) : church official

Last edited by ijriims; 2009-12-13 at 23:18.
ijriims is offline  
Old 2009-11-29, 00:55   Link #1862
ameskitty
Kupo
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sleeping
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaler View Post
I'm a little hesitant, since I'm trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible. But I don't think there's anything major on those lyrics, right? I mean, it's the damn opening. xD
Not that I noticed, no, but it's really up to you . Some advice though - don't find the lyrics on Youtube, or at least don't look at the comments there. People are pretty merciless with spoilers.

What I wouldn't do is post about anything you've noticed there in spoilers/speculations (where it'd fit, unfortunately) until you've read EP 5 :/. Some people mark their spoilers for untranslated portions but a lot of minor spoilers and I think a few major ones do show up "in the open".
__________________

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline  
Old 2009-11-29, 11:14   Link #1863
Metaler
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazil - São Paulo
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rogue View Post
Not that I noticed, no, but it's really up to you . Some advice though - don't find the lyrics on Youtube, or at least don't look at the comments there. People are pretty merciless with spoilers.

What I wouldn't do is post about anything you've noticed there in spoilers/speculations (where it'd fit, unfortunately) until you've read EP 5 :/. Some people mark their spoilers for untranslated portions but a lot of minor spoilers and I think a few major ones do show up "in the open".
Oh, I see. Thanks for the heads up! \o
I won't even look at the 1st page of the spoiler thread. xD
Thanks again!

Quote:
Battler: Obviously made up name by Ryukishi07, but he was also living up his name.
I think this is actually a given name... I don't remember so well, but I think it's a polish name.
Metaler is offline  
Old 2009-12-01, 03:44   Link #1864
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
Rosa meant "rose", and you knew virgin mary. (Or you can think of the always disappearing rose, so extending this metaphor, Rosa should be here but could not find...)
Uh? What's the connection between Rose and Mary?
BTW rosa can also mean "pink" however it's probably the other meaning.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-12-01, 17:38   Link #1865
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Rosa is German for Pink.
I'm in German, and sometimes Rose's can be pink
AmyElizzabeth is offline  
Old 2009-12-01, 19:53   Link #1866
Arbane the Terrible
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Uh? What's the connection between Rose and Mary?
BTW rosa can also mean "pink" however it's probably the other meaning.
Probably the bit with Maria searching for 'her' rose in the garden. (Which kicks off a lot of the plot in most arcs.)
Arbane the Terrible is offline  
Old 2009-12-01, 20:23   Link #1867
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Not Maria, the virgin Mary.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-12-02, 04:16   Link #1868
ijriims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: HK, China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Not Maria, the virgin Mary.
Early Christians identified the five petals of the rose with the five wounds of Christ. Despite this interpretation, their leaders were hesitant to adopt it because of its association with Roman excesses and pagan ritual. The red rose was eventually adopted as a symbol of the blood of the Christian martyrs. Roses also later came to be associated with the Virgin Mary.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose#History
ijriims is offline  
Old 2009-12-02, 04:38   Link #1869
vendredi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Nice catch ijrims with the other names, and the rose-Virgin Mary connection. The only other outright Christian name in the family group is Eva (Eve), wife of Adam, mother of all men, but also in Genesis she is the one who is first tempted by the serpent with the forbidden fruit of knowledge and in turn tempts her husband Adam with it.

Given Eva's role as the first to discover the gold in this episode the name is surprisingly fitting as well. The other names are not direct Biblical allusions, but the English meanings behind the names certainly fit the characters. Again, I'm pretty sure it's all intentionally planned out - they're certainly not names the author decided to pick at random.
vendredi is offline  
Old 2009-12-12, 00:43   Link #1870
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 26
I've heard of the Virgin Mary referred to as Rosamaria as well. My mom's name is Rosemary, and that side of our family is completely Italian, so her live-in grandmother who spoke no English always called her Rosamaria when she was young, and that's who her namesake . I don't know the specific reason why that in addition to just 'Maria' is used to refer to the Virgin, but I know this is not the first time I've heard that connection.
KanonTheFurniture is offline  
Old 2009-12-13, 05:48   Link #1871
Dlanor A. Knox
Crazy but OK xP
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Netherlands
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Rosa is German for Pink.
I'm in German, and sometimes Rose's can be pink
Rosa....pink rose.... she suffers alot because of her familly.... injured rose.... ........
Dlanor A. Knox is offline  
Old 2009-12-13, 18:35   Link #1872
Metaler
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazil - São Paulo
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanor A. Knox View Post
Rosa....pink rose.... she suffers alot because of her familly.... injured rose.... ........
This reminds of the withered rose which Maria finds. Maybe it reminds her of her mother's suffering?
Metaler is offline  
Old 2009-12-13, 22:43   Link #1873
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 26
Think about it in a different way. Maria is always obsessively looking for that rose, insisting it is there, but it isn't. She can't find it even though it should be there. Can't you say the same for her mother's love?
KanonTheFurniture is offline  
Old 2009-12-14, 09:09   Link #1874
Dlanor A. Knox
Crazy but OK xP
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Netherlands
Age: 21
... wow ... Maria... she really loves her mother...
still I think that Rosa loves Maria deep down in her heart...(even tough she sux being a mum)
why else should she make Sakutaro for her?
Dlanor A. Knox is offline  
Old 2009-12-14, 09:31   Link #1875
Workworkwork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: a better place than here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanor A. Knox View Post
... wow ... Maria... she really loves her mother...
still I think that Rosa loves Maria deep down in her heart...(even tough she sux being a mum)
why else should she make Sakutaro for her?
She didn't make Sakutarou. She bought off Maria's love.
Workworkwork is offline  
Old 2009-12-14, 09:37   Link #1876
Kitsu
The unlucky one
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hiding
Quote:
She didn't make Sakutarou. She bought off Maria's love.
You can't prove she didn't
__________________
Thanks for the Signature, Vandakiara
Kitsu is offline  
Old 2009-12-14, 11:19   Link #1877
Workworkwork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: a better place than here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
You can't prove she didn't
You can't prove she did.
Workworkwork is offline  
Old 2009-12-14, 12:08   Link #1878
ijriims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: HK, China
I would say there is no use to argue with Workworkwork about Rosa's love towards Maria.

Until he or she is willing to accept it, nothing (perhaps except Ryukishi07's own words) can change his or her mind.
ijriims is offline  
Old 2009-12-14, 13:24   Link #1879
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 24
Yeah you're right, I might as well not even bother. ^^;
__________________

momobunny is offline  
Old 2009-12-14, 15:41   Link #1880
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workworkwork View Post
I really fail to see how a material gift translates into love. I guess I should buy everyone I've ever pissed off a toy, that means I love them!
Who said it translates to love? ^^;
(Well okay, Dlanor did... but I didn't. ^^; )

Meanwhile, I hope you guys know that this is the thread for EP3... because I almost forgot myself. owo;
__________________


Last edited by momobunny; 2009-12-14 at 16:07.
momobunny is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.