AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-07-09, 11:54   Link #21
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
Aren't there any awesome Mac front-ends? <_<
yes but you still need to add custom commandline parameters to get proper ASS rendering and there are various other quirks and people are already used to QT soooooo no I'd have to say perian is still more userfriendly.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 12:15   Link #22
OlHillBilly
In the South

Send a message via AIM to OlHillBilly Send a message via Yahoo to OlHillBilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
yes but you still need to add custom commandline parameters to get proper ASS rendering and there are various other quirks and people are already used to QT soooooo no I'd have to say perian is still more userfriendly.
Mplayer is a pain on Linux as well...but then again Linux users aren't allowed to complain about such things.

Quote:
This video converting stuff seems to be very asine in complexity...

I'm by no means a dumb person but come on. It's kind of sad it takes pages and pages of instructions on how to convert a video.

</rant>
It would take me pages and pages to explain why there is so much to it. Basically it's like anything else...there are "magic button" type programs for people like you that just want to "convert video". Then there are advanced programs for people like me that want to edit and release high quality video.

For example, lately I've been encoding some American toons in the h.264 format. I'm using DVDs for my source and they are horrible. One episode takes about 25 hours for the lossless/first pass...and all that first pass is for is getting the framerate back down to 24fps or 24/30fps VFR.

The "magic button" program would never be able to properly handle such a source.

Yes it is complicated on soooo many levels but eh that's life. This is why we tell people "don't start" when they ask "How do I become an encoder?".
OlHillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 12:55   Link #23
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
I thought that as of RC2, ASS support on MPlayer was built in, enabled by default, and just shy of perfect (when compared to vsfilter). What needs to be messed around with in the command line or config files? >_<
Old 2008-07-09, 13:03   Link #24
martino
makes no files now

I think that libass and fontconfig come in the source, or are they still only patches that haven't been committed yet? If they do all you need is -ass -embeddedfonts -correct-pts -sid 0.

P.S. Also VSFilter is far from "perfect" with its countless annoying bugs.
Old 2008-07-09, 13:51   Link #25
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
fontconfig and libass are enabled by default in the source and almost all linux packages. i'm not sure if correct-pts is still needed.
Old 2008-07-09, 14:01   Link #26
OlHillBilly
In the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
fontconfig and libass are enabled by default in the source and almost all linux packages. i'm not sure if correct-pts is still needed.
Last I fooled with Ubuntu the subtitles were on by default but not "perfect" like under Windows/CCCP.

Basically from what I remember it would default to the .srt script with a very large font that took up half the screen (yes I realize this is what you're talking about in your post, just stating it in English for the non-linux users). Of course it was probably my fault for not doing something correctly...such is the way of Linux.

From what I remember I had to install Mplayer from source to "fix" the problem. This was months ago though so it has probably gotten better since then.

Anyone managed to get CoreAVC working in Linux yet? That project was still in very early alpha stages last I checked in on it. In other words I couldn't get it to do anything useful.

http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/
Old 2008-07-09, 14:04   Link #27
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Ask in #mplayer, plenty of people have CoreAVC for Linux working.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 14:14   Link #28
OlHillBilly
In the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Ask in #mplayer, plenty of people have CoreAVC for Linux working.
It's not something I have on my to-do-list at the moment but I'll make sure to join that channel if the interest arises again soon.

Lemme ask you this, is it worth it....yet? "Working" can mean so many things....
Old 2008-07-09, 15:31   Link #29
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHillBilly View Post
Lemme ask you this, is it worth it....yet?
I don't see why not.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 09:20   Link #30
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

I got it working, and the only problem I get is that whenever a frame is skipped, the image gets totally distorted and with each distortion CAVC gets more and more slow. My CPU is too slow (Semprom "Palermo" 2800+) to play HD without framedrops, so I'm sticking with ffh264, and it is faster on a single core anyway.
Kovensky is offline   Reply With Quote