AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-10, 20:05   Link #1
Breogan
Umeboshi

Graphical Linux BT Client

I'm helping a friend trying to move to Linux, but I don't have much experience under X (I use Linux/Unix mostly for servers, so my knowledge is mostly about console based applications).

żIs there any good X based client that you would advice?
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 01:26   Link #2
phaze-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breogan
I'm helping a friend trying to move to Linux, but I don't have much experience under X (I use Linux/Unix mostly for servers, so my knowledge is mostly about console based applications).

żIs there any good X based client that you would advice?

BT comes with a graphical client. You just run the python script called btdownloadgui.py
You need to give it parameters though I think (been awhile since I used it). Just grab the "source code" zip or tarball for your favorite client (be it the origonal version, shadow's client or what not).

FYI, the windows version is just a compiled exe from the python source using python2exe.

Oh you'll also need wxPython (which is a wxWindows library for python) installed for the GUI to work.
phaze- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 21:27   Link #3
Lostowl

BT on Linux

I finally got BT working on Suse 9.0. The RPM didn't seem to work for me so I grabbed the perl source and followed those instructions.

The thing I like about KDE on suse is that is has Windows like ability to define the command line options. I didn't really understand the mailcap instructions, but in the Konquerer browser, there is a file associations utility that is very much like windows. This also exists in the KDE config panel it was great!

Its one more step to me switch totally to linux. I am trying out the Main Actor package to see if I can make an AMV on it, and if so, then I think this may really be it...

I'll be MS-Free in no time!
Lostowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-01, 14:34   Link #4
thevoman
asian invader

Send a message via ICQ to thevoman Send a message via AIM to thevoman Send a message via Yahoo to thevoman
You can also just open up a console in X and use btdownloadcurses.py

Cool thing about using btdownloadcurses.py is that it's semi-graphical, showing you the same information that the gui client does, and you can run it in a screen session.

What's a screen session? Screen is literally a terminal multiplexer, letting you manage multiple interactive shells. Almost like a window manager for the console. That means you can run shells from inside 'screen', then detach screen, then re-attach to screen later on. And the stuff you were running before in screen will still be running.

So how does this apply to bittorrent? Say your linux box is at work or at school, and you're away on vacation at home. You want to start up torrents on your linux box, but you don't have access to an X server, only a ssh console. No worries. Just log into your box through ssh, fire up screen, fire up the torrent (using btdownloadcurses.py), then detach from screen and log out. Then later on you can log back in, re-attach to screen, and check on your torrent's progress.

Where can you get screen? It's one of those gool ol' GNU utilities, that might already be installed on your box. If not, it's available on apt and yum. If you don't have those, you can get the source for screen at your favorite GNU mirror, like ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/screen
thevoman is offline   Reply With Quote