AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 50 51.02%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 33.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 11.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.02%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-12, 01:37   Link #201
hai_san
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
just from the flashback didnt Ranka's mother has black hair?
hai_san is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 01:59   Link #202
dee32
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
just from the flashback didn't Ranka's mother has black hair?
I think it was green.


I think Alto killing the Varja Queen might cause a rift between him and Ranka. Thats why I think Sheryl will still get Alto.
dee32 is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 02:04   Link #203
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
After watching episode 14 for the third time, I finally feel comfortable writing about what I think of it. Overall, I feel episodes 13-14 mark a watershed moment in the MF series as the hidden conspiracy begins to reveal itself and goes into full swing while a paradigm shift takes place as to the direction of the show.

Since the beginning of the series, the Vajra have been painted as alien, blood-thirsty enemies. However, in this episode, not only did the Vajra Queen communicated with Ranka, the bugs also stopped attacking when they heard Ranka sing. The way the combat sequences intersected Aimo in the background, the death of Pixie Squad member, the bugs stopped attacking, and the ensuring xenocide created a tragic tapestry of war between the two species that is ultimately pointless and futile. Ranka crying at the sight of the carnage and Grace's reference to her as the "Little Queen" further reinforces my belief that by the end of the series, Human/Zent/Bug co-existence is probably a likely outcome.

After episode 14, the odds of Ranka becoming Vajra royalty have just doubled. In fact, I wonder if there's a bit of foreshadowing in the intermission for Episode 13, when Ranka sings about the beloved girl is an alien.

However, the first half of the season has been almost a grand slam for Ranka in term of character development. She started the show as an immature, shy young girl. However, in the span of 5 episodes (10-14), she became a woman with the determination to reach for what she wants and the courage to chase after it (See episode 10 for determination and episode 12 for courage). Yes, she is still immature in appearance and she needed her friends to push her forward during some of those key moments, but the important thing is, she has grown tremendously from her humble origins, and surprisingly, has become a very likable character in spite of her moe/loli-design. A Cinderella story indeed.

Sheryl, on the other hand, is now in the middle of a mid-season slam-down. She started out the series as the famous Galactic Fairy, on the top of the pecking order. Throughout the series to date, she has been approaching everything with the world famous "I am Sheryl" attitude. This sense of ultimate self-confidence and her go-getter mannerism are what endeared her to many of us. But at the same time, her emotional development basically hasn't progressed at all. Her fascination/crush with Alto has increased episode by episode, but her core self has remained constant.

Hence the mid-season slam is necessary. Because without some fairly traumatic event, Sheryl is not going to change and mature to the next level. If the invulnerable Sheryl doesn't become mortal and feel pain, she would never truly reach out of her shell and grow.

In the first half of the series, Sheryl's relationship with Alto probably hit their high notes in episode 8 (romantic flight at the end). The kiss in episode 10 was pretty much a wash (mainly due to Sheryl turning it into a joke), and the gift in episode 11 was actually the beginning of her slam. Sheryl's main problem is the fact that she is only beginning to realize Alto's importance to her (whereas Ranka had already laid her life on the line for Alto in episode 12 by mounting the rescue mission). Without letting blockhead Alto know how she really feels in an obvious and dramatic fashion, their relationship will never advance beyond their playful bantering stage right now.

Because of this, I see more pain and suffering for Sheryl for at least a couple more episodes. She'll probably reach a point where she finally acknowledges to herself that she wants Alto with all her heart and will pull herself together for that inevitable counter-attack. Weather forecast for Sheryl.... at least gloom and doom through episode 18 and maybe supermove thereafter. I think the two girls will probably reach parity again around episode 23 just to keep the ending interesting.

Looking ahead, the real villains of this series will be gradually revealed, and there will be much more heartaches for Sheryl (and Ranka as well, maybe in the form of an Ozuma pineapple salad and most likely when the inevitable Sheryl counter-attack lands).

Doh. I can't believe I blabbed on for so long already. I guess this is because I haven't had an anime show that I liked this much in years. This show has continued to exceed my expectations and surprised me in its cleverness. So it's hard not to think about it while I have some down time. Anyway, here's a toast to the rest of the season, may it be as great as the first half!
*Sniff* That was beautiful 'mate, I had a tear in me eye...

- Tak (Alas, I am lazy now, I shall reply in detail tomorrow)
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 02:50   Link #204
stray
aniki
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Send a message via AIM to stray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
ASince the beginning of the series, the Vajra have been painted as alien, blood-thirsty enemies. However, in this episode, not only did the Vajra Queen communicated with Ranka, the bugs also stopped attacking when they heard Ranka sing.
I totally didn't think that's why they were looking around all confused-like... good catch.

Quote:
Doh. I can't believe I blabbed on for so long already. I guess this is because I haven't had an anime show that I liked this much in years. This show has continued to exceed my expectations and surprised me in its cleverness. So it's hard not to think about it while I have some down time. Anyway, here's a toast to the rest of the season, may it be as great as the first half!
I'll drink to that!
stray is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 02:56   Link #205
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I'll drink to that!


As will I, just wonderful Darial.
__________________

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 03:21   Link #206
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Don't you mean the other two VF-27's that were shown at the end of #7?
That is what I mean, yes. Of course I'm assuming they're drones, but it's not a stretch to for them to be, given how rigged Bresra and Grace are.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 03:28   Link #207
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy100 View Post
@ Mike

Still with how Ranshe kept saying we, and our gift, it's like that person isn't Ranshe per se. Rather it was more like the Queen was borrowing her image and casting an illusion that only Ranka could see.
Well this is also the same speculation that I posted as an answer to your post, isn't it?

You know we're only arguing about semantics here. Just read the question, "Is the woman in the projection Ranka's mother?"

It could mean that, "Is that image of the woman, an image of Ranka's mother?" But it could also mean, "Is that image of the woman, really, materially, Ranka's mother?"

In your first post about the issue, you were asking the first question. You even call her "image of a lady/how the Vajra sees herself" just to refuse from calling her "Ranka's mother". But when I clarified that she is really Ranshe Mei, you then move on to interpret your question as the second.

Also, please don't forget that the person who passed on the song to Ranka is her mother. Not the Vajra, although they might be the source, so it's technically also Ranshe's gift to her.
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 03:34   Link #208
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Anyway, here's a toast to the rest of the season, may it be as great as the first half!
I say it will be better. It will be epic!
CaptGloval is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 03:42   Link #209
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I'm beginning to think that Ranka is just half of the equation.

Ranshe could very well be the mother who Sheryl did not meet but inherited those crystals.

Ran(ka)She(ryl)

Ep 10 could be a sutble hint on their relationship.
ReddyRedWolf is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 03:46   Link #210
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I'm beginning to think that Ranka is just half of the equation.

Ranshe could very well be the mother who Sheryl did not meet but inherited those crystals.

Ran(ka)She(ryl)

Ep 10 could be a sutble hint on their relationship.
I felt so dumb when I read about that Ran-She thing in the other thread, it was staring at me for two episodes now :P
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 04:42   Link #211
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to FLCL
i still stand by my starcraftian Zerg/hybrid stance as the underlying cause....

shoji mustve been pwning in ZvT or watching to much korean tv, the valkyries are even a new unit in SC2
FLCL is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 04:44   Link #212
dee32
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I'm beginning to think that Ranka is just half of the equation.

Ranshe could very well be the mother who Sheryl did not meet but inherited those crystals.

Ran(ka)She(ryl)

Ep 10 could be a sutble hint on their relationship.
That's a good theory. That would make Sheryl, Brera, and Ranka sisters and brother.
dee32 is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 07:02   Link #213
Sleepy100
*snore**snore* zzz.......
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy100 View Post
@ Mike

Still with how Ranshe kept saying we, and our gift, it's like that person isn't Ranshe per se. Rather it was more like the Queen was borrowing her image and casting an illusion that only Ranka could see.
@ Mike

Should have put quotations around "Ranshe" because I still don't believe that image was Ranka's mom. Just a copy in which the Queen built her idea of self in human form since I remembered that Ranshe's hair color was dark not light. Oh well, we'll find out the truth. Like in Episode 20 or 21.

On something else. I guess some people noticed that the center of the viruses holds a crystal like object similar to Sheryls earing. I suspect Grace called her Little Queen because she could control it at will. Does anybody else thinks that Grace is looking for the crystals so she could control the Vajra?
Sleepy100 is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 07:34   Link #214
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy100 View Post
@ Mike

Should have put quotations around "Ranshe" because I still don't believe that image was Ranka's mom. Just a copy in which the Queen built her idea of self in human form since I remembered that Ranshe's hair color was dark not light. Oh well, we'll find out the truth. Like in Episode 20 or 21.
Yeah I guess we'll find out then. I thought that the difference in colors was just a difference in color saturation, with the flashback colors desaturated, and light was behind Ranshe. In the projection, she was well-lit. But you do have a point, in this photo, her hair doesn't look as green as Ranka's hair. (funny though, depending on my angle to my monitor, it sometimes looks grey, light brown, or seaweed green ).

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/imag...Large%2016.jpg

And I suppose if Sheryl is part of the family, where is she in this photo? (the dog?) Nah, she was the one who took the photo, papa forgot to bring a tripod
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 09:05   Link #215
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I no particular order:

It's nice to see the NUNS aren't actually useless.

Sheryl didn't look that surprised to see Grace alive, in the preview. I guess we'll see next ep.

I totally thought Luca was going to die, what with his "I'll tell you something when I get back". Might as well put on a red shirt, idiot.

Also, damn those Vajra for killing a pixie. We didn't see nearly enough of them, and now they're starting to kill them off?

It was nice to see Sheryl wasn't an instant ace.
Anh_Minh is online now  
Old 2008-07-12, 09:53   Link #216
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
And I suppose if Sheryl is part of the family, where is she in this photo? (the dog?) Nah, she was the one who took the photo, papa forgot to bring a tripod
Sheryl might be a clone of Ranshe which would explain her clearly fake childhood memories. I just don't see someone like Grace who is shaping up to one of if not the villian of the series being her manager without a good reason. Sure it allowed Grace easy access to anywhere Sheryl could tour but I would think that would be a side benefit to being her manager and not her real mission.

I always thought Grace's "That girl is amazing" line in episode 12 was a bit off of place.. maybe she decided to kill the (failed) clone in Sheryl because the continuation of the family line in Ranka had emerged.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 10:03   Link #217
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Also, damn those Vajra for killing a pixie. We didn't see nearly enough of them, and now they're starting to kill them off?
I can't believe they killed the tomboy too. I mean, its not every day I feel a mental scar being carved due to the death of a secondary character, especially one without a voice actress

And she looked cool *sniff*

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 10:34   Link #218
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
It's weird how NUNS has reservations about using reactionary weapons when there was no hesitation in using them in ep 7 with the Koeing Monster. Speaking of which, we got cheated out of some Koeing action . Although it was somewhat made up for by some decent VF-171 action.

Personally I think it's a huge black mark against the entire Frontier series that it took 14 episodes to show that NUNS has a competent military force and is not just cannon fodder for the baddies.

On the Alto front, I'm increasingly disappointed at how poorly his character has been developed....which is to say there was ZERO development this episode aside from the fact that he's become a bit more emo. Even Bobby and Luca had more development than Alto (which is about damn time too). It absolutely sucks that Alto shows no decent piloting skills except for his screaming and missile spamming. Hell, the VF-171s showed better piloting than Alto....and Alto is suppose to be our main character?

edit - Although I don't like the shouta, I do feel that he got cheated out of the opportunity to show us his fighting prowess. It would have been nice to see Luca take down at least 1 Vajra with his gunpod.
cerrian is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 10:40   Link #219
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
It's weird how NUNS has reservations about using reactionary weapons when there was no hesitation in using them in ep 7 with the Koeing Monster. Speaking of which, we got cheated out of some Koeing action . Although it was somewhat made up for by some decent VF-171 action.
I thought that was a bit weird.. it's like the writer completely forgot about episode 7... and it's not like SMS did that on their own since Leon and co were watching the fight.

Quote:
Personally I think it's a huge black mark against the entire Frontier series that it took 14 episodes to show that NUNS has a competent military force and is not just cannon fodder for the baddies.
Yeah I agree.

Quote:
On the Alto front, I'm increasingly disappointed at how poorly his character has been developed....which is to say there was ZERO development this episode aside from the fact that he's become a bit more emo. Even Bobby and Luca had more development than Alto (which is about damn time too). It absolutely sucks that Alto shows no decent piloting skills except for his screaming and missile spamming. Hell, the VF-171s showed better piloting than Alto....and Alto is suppose to be our main character?
If Alto screams his way to victory in the final battle I'll /facepalm. Sadly Michael's far from being the Max to Alto's Hikaru.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-07-12, 10:44   Link #220
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
It's weird how NUNS has reservations about using reactionary weapons when there was no hesitation in using them in ep 7 with the Koeing Monster. Speaking of which, we got cheated out of some Koeing action . Although it was somewhat made up for by some decent VF-171 action.

Personally I think it's a huge black mark against the entire Frontier series that it took 14 episodes to show that NUNS has a competent military force and is not just cannon fodder for the baddies.

On the Alto front, I'm increasingly disappointed at how poorly his character has been developed....which is to say there was ZERO development this episode aside from the fact that he's become a bit more emo. Even Bobby and Luca had more development than Alto (which is about damn time too). It absolutely sucks that Alto shows no decent piloting skills except for his screaming and missile spamming. Hell, the VF-171s showed better piloting than Alto....and Alto is suppose to be our main character?
I'd like to think those were normal nukes ordinance not reaction weaponry fired by Monster.

Else they would have used it when the Vajra capital arrived.

On NUNS, Machida and rest Diamond Squadron are the elite of the NUNS comparable perhaps to Macross 7's Diamond Force and Emerald Force.

Makes me wonder if some of these guys or just one of them were Mikhail's sister's squadmates.
ReddyRedWolf is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.