AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-10, 22:31   Link #1
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Blow Me Away

So I just got some real shitty news and I'm likely to be royally pissed about it for a while. I need something to get my mind off of it. I am NOT looking for a comedy though, I am looking for something to blow me away. It's been a while since something made my favorites list and I'm starving for some new goodness. I'd prefer either something I haven't seen, or something I've only seen 1 or 2 episodes of. Here's my anime list. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/2008digitalboy

The only thing I require is that there's no politics involved.
Old 2008-07-10, 22:56   Link #2
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I've got two series for you, I think you will definitely like the first suggestion for sure, and maybe the second if you don't mind slow and hard to understand things. But I'd watch the first one first.

1. Ergo Proxy - A mind blowing anime, everything about it is so sweet and perfect. Great imagery, great scenes, great philosophical points of view. I love it, you may love it, the main character is hot . A very serious and semi-slow series though.

2. Texhnolyze - A cyberpunk like the above anime. I consider it better than Ergo Proxy, however, this is definitely not a show for everyone. Very slow paced series, but it really great. First episode is possibly one of the hardest to keep up with ever, but it such a great first episode. You need to pay attention for this series.
Old 2008-07-10, 23:01   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I've already seen Texh, and it's one of my top 50, but I really, really, really hate Ergo Proxy.

It should be noted that I'm not a huge fan of plot - I usually don't really care about the story in anime, just the directing, characters, and so on.
Old 2008-07-10, 23:06   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Didn't see that it was in your dropped list, sorry.

Well the only other anime I have to suggest is Monster, if you just want a show that will blow you away, which I see that you put on hold. It's a long series, but it is definitely a satisfying show through and through that expresses the ugly side of man very well.
Old 2008-07-10, 23:09   Link #5
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Didn't see that it was in your dropped list, sorry.

Well the only other anime I have to suggest is Monster, if you just want a show that will blow you away, which I see that you put on hold. It's a long series, but it is definitely a satisfying show through and through that expresses the ugly side of man very well.
it's length was pretty much the only reason I have it on hold, but I've got a shittonfuckassload of time now, so I might as well give it a go. Can't promise I'll finish it though since I don't even think I've ever watched 72 episodes of one show, lol.
Old 2008-07-11, 06:49   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you're not looking for plot, and want something cheery, I'd recommend Hidamari Sketch. Its sequel just began airing as well.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-07-11 at 09:36.
Old 2008-07-11, 07:24   Link #7
Niji

Since you have some mecha rated highly, try Innocent Venus.

Nijuu-mensou no musume might be worth looking into, as well.
Old 2008-07-12, 00:04   Link #8
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

HidaSketch is actually in my top 15 already.

I'm kind of sort of watching 20 faces but I kinda saw 3 eps and forgot i was watching/haven't brought myself to watch more. I can't see it 'blowing me away' Innocent Venus might be worth a shot becuase it's short and Brains Base but then all reviews say otherwise...

Anyone else?
Old 2008-07-12, 10:10   Link #9
Blue flame
anime bores me lol

finish air gear , i suggest you watch the anime and continue of with the manga. watch beck awesome anime good luck finding the episodes though.
Old 2008-07-13, 05:46   Link #10
Navel

Paradise Kiss (after all, you gave NANA a ten)

And a couple of anime you already seem to have started, but haven't gone too far (maybe that's a sign you don't find them interesting, though):

Princess Tutu

Gundam SEED (but it has politics)
Kino no Tabi

Bokura ga ita
Beck
FMA
Honey and Clover
Hana Yori Dango
Macross Plus
Infinite Ryvius
Tokyo Godfathers
Kaleido Star
Ooedo Rocket
Old 2008-07-13, 13:30   Link #11
bungmonkey

Well since you rated Air and Kanon (2006) highly I'd recommend picking Clannad back up unless you hate it for some reason. I just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 2008-07-13, 20:23   Link #12
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

@ blue flame: I like Air Gear for it's punk style, but the main character's complete lack of personality makes me scared away. I need to hurry and watch Beck indeed because I get the feeling I'll like it. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

@ navel: I actually have ep one of Parakiss loaded and waiting one tab over, lol. As for Princess Tutu, I really REALLY want to watch it but it's just SO FUCKING FRILLY. I don't intend to watch Bokura ga Ita or Hana Yori Dango just because... I'm actually currently watching FMA, but I'm going back throught the eps I've already seen so it hasn't been updated on my list. I need to finish HxC, I know that, I'm trying T_T, Macross Plus i'll watch in a little bit, thanks for reminding, Ryvius I'm buying te DVDs slowly, I'll probably buy them all soon for crazy cheap, Tokyo Godfathers I'll watch if I can find it, Kaleido Star I almost continued the other day, don't remember why I stopped, and I've never heard of Ooedo Rocket.

bungmonkey: those were two of he first anime I watched when I got back into it and so I probably wouldn't like them as much nowadays - I liked CLANNAD at first just because it had really well-done elements, but that well-doneness is the same thing that drives me away from the show - it's like someone with amazing charisma who sells you a product you have no use for, but if you're stupid enough, you treasure it.
Old 2008-07-14, 00:07   Link #13
Nervous Venus

Fantastic Children might be a good series for you, though if you're into pretty art - you should just stay away. The pacing and design are what does people in some times, but FC has very rich characterization and an awesome story, and I wouldn't pass it up, unless you're not into the "classic" type of stories with cliffhangers at the end of every episode.
Old 2008-07-14, 00:42   Link #14
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Fantastic Children might be a good series for you, though if you're into pretty art - you should just stay away. The pacing and design are what does people in some times, but FC has very rich characterization and an awesome story, and I wouldn't pass it up, unless you're not into the "classic" type of stories with cliffhangers at the end of every episode.
I've been informed that this show has lots of the characters calling out each others' name. This writing technique annoys me TO NO END and was enough to make me drop Kurau Phantom Memory. I'll have to pass on this one.
Old 2008-07-14, 03:01   Link #15
Navel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
@ navel: I actually have ep one of Parakiss loaded and waiting one tab over, lol. As for Princess Tutu, I really REALLY want to watch it but it's just SO FUCKING FRILLY.

I'm not surprised you find Kaleido Star a little bit hard to stick to in the beginning, the best things happen only in the second half and in one of the OVAs.
Old 2008-07-14, 03:04   Link #16
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel View Post

I'm not surprised you find Kaleido Star a little bit hard to stick to in the beginning, the best things happen only in the second half and in one of the OVAs.
actually I really like Kaleido Star, but the first time I downloaded it, all my files past 10 weren't working right (which I later found was my own fault, after having deleted all the files). It's one of the many, many, many, many, many things I just haven't gotten back around to.
Old 2008-07-14, 13:07   Link #17
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
I've been informed that this show has lots of the characters calling out each others' name. This writing technique annoys me TO NO END and was enough to make me drop Kurau Phantom Memory. I'll have to pass on this one.
Wow, so you're going to pass up on a great series based on a weak hearsay? Without even trying the first three episodes? lol, your call. Whatever.
Closed Thread