AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-07-16, 17:20   Link #21
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
You don't need the compile flags anymore.
Old 2008-07-16, 17:26   Link #22
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

Well, I didn't ./bootstrap, I just updated the old local copy I had. The makefile should have regenerated configure and re-checked, as it didn't I'll re-bootstrap after I test it.

Edit: After bootstrapping, I don't know if it is enabled or not by default, but the --help listing still says it is disabled by default.

Last edited by Kovensky; 2008-07-16 at 17:47.
Kovensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 17:43   Link #23
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

Well, a picture should be worth a thousand words:

The border is so thin it is almost invisible on libasa. The border color is a bit off too, as I saw on another scene. There's a scene before this one, when Natarle yells "Valiants, fire!", the whole text gets purple. Also, the font size is too small on W_B's Gundam Wing.
Old 2008-07-16, 17:58   Link #24
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
but whats the point of working on VLC when theres an alternative that does everything much better then it, MPlayer.
wouldn't it be better to direct the effort over there?
Aside from what others said, VLC is noticably more lightweight than MPlayer, isn't it? Or at least it was last time I checked.

That matters to some people, anyway...
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 18:03   Link #25
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
Aside from what others said, VLC is noticably more lightweight than MPlayer, isn't it? Or at least it was last time I checked.

That matters to some people, anyway...
More lightweight? Definitely not--VLC not only includes the full ffmpeg codebase, but also a huge amount of additional code. If its more lightweight that means the person who compiled it used upx...
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 18:07   Link #26
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

VLC is not more lightweight. It may look easier to use, but is certainly not lightweight. MPlayer is even easier on resources on the sense that it doesn't load any GUI toolkit or any other probably unnecessary stuff such as dbus. And if you mean by filesize, I can't simply compare executable file sizes as VLC has thousands of .so files, so I did a "du -hc" of the source dir just after a compilation:

Code:
kovensky@kovensky-pc:~/.bin/src$ du -hc vlc | grep total
360M    total
kovensky@kovensky-pc:~/.bin/src$ du -hc mplayer | grep total
159M    total
MPlayer also is big because it links statically to almost everything; VLC uses the dynamic linker and that implies PIC, which is naturally slower than the non-PIC code MPlayer uses.

MPlayer is lightweight enough that it is the only player able to play 720p anime on my machine ("-lavdopts fast:skiploopfilter=nonkey -hardframedrop", but it plays with a decent framerate and still looks very good). All other players and even ffdshow are too slow to keep up even with the most extreme configuration.
Old 2008-07-16, 18:35   Link #27
Craymel

I also find mplayer to be much much faster then vlc. When ever I play any 720p files in mplayer playback is usually smooth. In vlc how ever the same files are extremely choppy. Also what ever fixes the vlc devs say they're making for 0.9.0 subtitle support they haven't implemented it yet in the nightly build. I still have a lot of lines over lapping in vlc.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k2...rp-VLCmedi.png

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ot-MPlayer.png

I've only seen one sign of improvement for vlc. #gg code geass r2 episode 13 doesn't crash in 0.9.0 like it does in 0.8.6
Old 2008-07-16, 18:57   Link #28
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

They have implemented. Make sure you're using last night's nightly . See if you didn't disable csri by accident, it has a weird option name.

The library VLC is depending to do the sub support is pretty much abandoned and equinox is MIA. The last commit by equinox was on 2007-10-29, and the master was just a compile fix. Evgeniy is still working on libass; he doesn't mess a lot with it but he is always fixing bugs, unless he WONTFIX them because the script is wrong.

Menclave's Macross F is one such example; the subtitles are huge and tall, but the script reversed PlayResX and PlayResY so it rendering right is yet another VSFilter bug.
Old 2008-07-16, 20:31   Link #29
Craymel

I re-installed it four days ago and since then I've had two updates. I'm using the vlc repository for ubuntu. I also just reset all my setting to default and still over laping subtitles. Do I have to do something more to get the subtitle renderer updates?
Old 2008-07-16, 20:50   Link #30
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

VLC from the repo is no good. As libasa nor csri are packaged on Ubuntu, vlc doesn't link with csri, which is the wrapper for libasa they use. You have to get libasa as a snapshot from the git web ui (git clone is broken on that repo), build and install it yourself. CSRI is on a subdir on libasa, so go there and build/install it. Then you do "apt-get build-dep vlc" and go build vlc yourself.
Old 2008-07-17, 13:21   Link #31
Starks
*Scanlator

Is it true that the standalone libass library is not very flexible? The VLC devs have told me that it would be extremely difficult to implement it into VLC.
Old 2008-07-17, 13:27   Link #32
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

Well, they could use libass through CSRI, it should work. The problem is that libass doesn't receive subtitle streams, only the whole file. The solution would be to always send an updated script to libass for each line it reads, like Aegisub. Run it on the console, use the libass backend, and everytime a line is changed you can see on the console that libass received a "completely" new script.

MPlayer FTW! Get my win32 build here; now with multithreading
/me is usually idling on #mplayer@chat.freenode.net or #cccp@irc.rizon.net
\SHAMEIMARU/
Old 2008-07-18, 23:08   Link #33
Starks
*Scanlator

If you want VLC to render anything that looks even remotely correct, you need to gather all the fonts a given script uses.

Here's a sample of what the VLC nightlies can do when they aren't crashing and you have all the fonts you need...

<__<

(ignore the buggy video)

Old 2008-07-19, 06:19   Link #34
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

The GS release I tested uses "X360 by Redge" on the script.
Code:
$ fc-match "X360 by Redge"
X360.ttf: "X360 by Redge" "Normal"
So the font is installed. I extract every font from the anime I get and add to my collection >)
As I often edit the scripts in Aegisub, I need the fonts installed too.

Also, the script is using styles that puts a thin white font with a thick border with a color, and it's color tells if we're having a radio communication, or a tv broadcast, a thought or a dialog, so without the borders everything looks like white SRT.

\SHAMEIMARU/
Old 2008-07-23, 18:01   Link #35
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
If you want VLC to render anything that looks even remotely correct, you need to gather all the fonts a given script uses.

Here's a sample of what the VLC nightlies can do when they aren't crashing and you have all the fonts you need...

<__<

(ignore the buggy video)

The subtitles are close and not horribly ugly. I think this is a big step forward for vlc. I can't ignore the video quality just yet because I know its have a hard time playing it and when it does try and play a new frame the prior frame overlaps in the picture like that. This still happens in 0.8.6 even though it's a stable release. They're making progress on 0.9.0 though. This brings up the question of why people use 0.8.6 to play softsubbed mkv anime though. I'm sure once it's out of beta it will yield better results.
Old 2008-07-23, 18:08   Link #36
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

I was wondering... VLC actually uses CSRI to do the rendering. CSRI then calls the unmaintained libasa to do the rendering. But VSFilter also has a CSRI backend; then it should be possible to make VSFilter work with VLC!

I can't try this on linux, but those of you that can compile VLC on windows can try to compile CSRI while setting VSFilter as the default renderer and see if it breaks or looks good.

\SHAMEIMARU/
Old 2008-07-23, 18:54   Link #37
jfs
Aegisub dev

Nope, the CSRI interface in VSFilter doesn't implement the streaming extension that VLC wants to use, so it can't be used.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 18:59   Link #38
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

Well, if I had the skill I'd try to implement a streaming interface to libass on csri... but then, all the work would go to waste because the libasa git server is b0rked; I can't even clone it.

\SHAMEIMARU/
Old 2008-07-23, 19:40   Link #39
Doughnuts

git clone git://git.spaceboyz.net/asa.git master
Seems to work fine.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 19:42   Link #40
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

I'll try that when I go back to my linux box. I did try to git clone it but without 'master' in the end. Shouldn't that be implicit? I can clone x264 and vlc just fine without 'master'.

\SHAMEIMARU/