AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-08-11, 12:09   Link #61
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

Qt is THE BITCH to cross-compile... I still didn't figure it out.

Anyways, I'll give VLC a try for SD video. MPlayer is still the only one for HD video on my PC.

MPlayer FTW! Get my win32 build here; now with multithreading
/me is usually idling on #mplayer@chat.freenode.net or #cccp@irc.rizon.net
\SHAMEIMARU/
Kovensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 17:23   Link #62
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
If anyone wants to try a very early and somewhat unstable build that includes libass... Here ya go.

http://people.videolan.org/~jb/vlc-0.9.0-win32.exe

There are undoubtedly a bunch of issues that are still in need of fixing, but this where the VLC team is at the moment. They could use the feedback on any rendering issues you see.
Old 2008-09-01, 00:11   Link #63
Starks
*Scanlator

BTW, official libass-enabled nightly. Tons of improvements since the personal compiles. Also, according to dev chatter, 0.9.0 and possibly even 0.9.1 will be skipped. Git versions now reflect a 1.0.0 labeling.

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/....9.1-win32.exe

Last edited by Starks; 2008-09-01 at 00:23.
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 04:12   Link #64
LordMelkor

I just tried the 30-August-08 build (latest) for VLC (OS X) and tried it out with an episode of School Rumble (San Gakki OVA 1) and it seems that it is still a quite buggy, but its awesome to see that VLC will finally be supporting ssa subs, and I'm sure by the time 1.0.0 rolls out, the issues will be mostly worked out. This is especially great since VLC is the only worthwhile video player for Mac.
LordMelkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 07:26   Link #65
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMelkor View Post
I just tried the 30-August-08 build (latest) for VLC (OS X) and tried it out with an episode of School Rumble (San Gakki OVA 1) and it seems that it is still a quite buggy, but its awesome to see that VLC will finally be supporting ssa subs, and I'm sure by the time 1.0.0 rolls out, the issues will be mostly worked out. This is especially great since VLC is the only worthwhile video player for Mac.
*cough*MPlayer*couch*
Old 2008-09-04, 07:35   Link #66
LordMelkor

nah id have to disagree with you there Starks mplayer being a direct linux port doesnt really pay respects to the mac way of building programs (doesnt follow the same conventions, etc). Additionally in my experience with mplayer on OS X, it is much more unstable than VLC. I primarily use VLC, or Quicktime with Perian.

But then I dont wanna high jack this thread and make it about mac video players. This thread is about VLC and its long overdue embrace of ssa.
LordMelkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 15:18   Link #67
Starks
*Scanlator

I have no beef with Perian.
Old 2008-09-04, 20:11   Link #68
Starks
*Scanlator

Also, here's a 0.9.2 build

http://people.videolan.org/~jb/Builds/0.9.2-preview/vlc-0.9.2-win32.exe

Last edited by Starks; 2008-09-04 at 21:40.
Old 2008-09-11, 13:59   Link #69
aquastar831
AQS-Anime

Send a message via AIM to aquastar831 Send a message via MSN to aquastar831
Perian isn't a bad option as I've been able to play most h264 mkv subs where the font and color styling for the actual subs comes somewhat close to what it's supposed to be, and it imports the chapter markers if they were done in the file. Only thing is you've gotta wait for a little bit for the little loading bar to finish when you initially open the file.

I did a comparison of how stuff gets rendered, and VLC for my Mac I basically only use as a very last resort for playing h264 mkv or any file that I'm not used to. MPC gets it right on my PC, and Perian w/ QT does a pretty good job for the Mac. MPlayer I avoid because I can never get anything to play properly on it for my Mac.

But yeah, if VLC did a better job with how it renders subtitles, I'd probably opt to use it more.
aquastar831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 05:33   Link #70
Starks
*Scanlator

well, 0.9.2 is now out.

And yes... EVERYTHING IS INDEED FABULOUS! A surprise Code Geass R2 cameo.

(From http://wiki.videolan.org/What_is_cool_in_0.9)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhk7Kq1rEU

Last edited by Starks; 2008-09-15 at 09:00.
Old 2008-09-15, 10:20   Link #71
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
well, 0.9.2 is now out.

And yes... EVERYTHING IS INDEED FABULOUS! A surprise Code Geass R2 cameo.

(From http://wiki.videolan.org/What_is_cool_in_0.9)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhk7Kq1rEU
Great job promoting VLC, you promoters managed to get VLC dugg, resulting in git crashing and me being unable to commit for a few hours!
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 10:31   Link #72
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Great job promoting VLC, you promoters managed to get VLC dugg, resulting in git crashing and me being unable to commit for a few hours!
I never knew you had write access for the VLC git...
Old 2008-09-15, 10:36   Link #73
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
I never knew you had write access for the VLC git...
Given that x264 is hosted on the VLC git, I'd have a damn hard time developing without such write access
Old 2008-09-15, 10:38   Link #74
Doughnuts

It might've been a good idea to distribute via BT methinks.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 10:38   Link #75
Starks
*Scanlator

Makes sense. But do you have access to the VLC branches?
Old 2008-09-15, 10:40   Link #76
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Makes sense. But do you have access to the VLC branches?
Not entirely sure, but I think I could theoretically commit to anything in the repository (though obviously I wouldn't, since I don't maintain anything other than x264).
Old 2008-09-15, 12:44   Link #77
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

...and unsurprisingly even with libass VLC still sucks.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 08:03   Link #78
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

In other news they just dropped the libmatroska parser in favor of avformat (means losing ordered chapters support and adding a lot more interesting bugs, among other things) because libebml was "too insecure" and they'd "had it with those mkv's" anyway. They also refuse to use Haali's parser because it doesn't compile on ARM.

Personally I find it rather funny how the "too insecure" comment is coming from the people who had some nasty buffer overflow exploits sitting around in their own subtitle rendering code for years.

To conclude this thread: VLC is doomed to suck forever because of the priorities of its developers.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 14:06   Link #79
Craymel

What do they mean they've "had it with those mkvs"? It's probably the most flexible container format out right now.
Old 2008-09-18, 10:01   Link #80
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

0.9.2 trip report

After experimenting for about 10 minutes I have the following bugs to report (there are most likely a lot more but I haven't found them yet):

1) H.264 support is extremely broken, even by VLC standards. This especially affects H.264 in MKV, but H.264 in MP4 also suffers from problems, although less than MKV. You are quite likely to get random garbage artifacts at random places. This is especially evident when seeking; every time you seek you are likely (more likely with MKV, somewhat less likely with MP4) to get garbage output and/or lots of hilarious blocking until next IDR-frame.

2) MKV support is a complete joke. It isn't just broken, it's completely unusable. First off, the playback is jerky; pans that are smooth in any other player are extremely jerky in VLC. Second, see the seeking problems above; they happen almost every time you seek in an MKV. Third, even after reaching next IDR-frame after a seek, you're quite likely to get random borks for a while, it seems. Bitrate peaks also seems to make it shit its pants; things like the Kurenai OP that works fine in all other media players I've tested breaks VLC spectacularly (actually, high bitrates in MKV in general seems to break it).

Ordered chapters are "supported", but segment linking isn't, so a virtual timeline is built but if you try to seek to somewhere that would land you in an external segment, VLC instead seeks to the start of the file, making it extremely annoying to try to seek anywhere near segment switch points.

3) The famed libass support is erratic at best. It seems that they screwed up the libass position in the render chain so subtitles are rendered after anamorphic stretching, so on anamorphic releases subtitles end up off-center and with an odd aspect ratio (this will reportedly be fixed in 0.9.3). It also doesn't support fades for some reason, and colors are wrong (it seems it interprets them as RGB instead of BGR), at least with the opengl.

4) The only video renderer that really works decently on my Windows XP installation is OpenGL; all the others have either incorrect blacklevels, absurdly bad scaling or other problems, at least on my system (this is probably related to video drivers).

5) The ancient problem that if you seek to the end of a file, VLC instantly closes it is still there, and you can't disable it. This makes seeking near the end of a file extremely annoying because if you seek too far you need to reload the file to seek backwards.

Funny screenshots: http://uppcon.se/thefluff/fansub/vlc/

Conclusion and public service announcement: never use VLC.

subtitle speaks the truth
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2008-09-18 at 13:17.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote