Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-02, 05:59   Link #41
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeWordChobits
Hehe, I am really looking forward to reading the manga... and if you don't already know, it has been released in the US by Darkhorse comics. It isn't called Narutaru though... it's called "Shadow Star." So keep an eye out for it. I just hope they didn't tone it down too much... oh wells.
The head of Studio Proteus basically said that they are NOT going to run that volume of NaruTaru as it is, and I don't think simply "toning it down" would be enough...
Old 2004-02-02, 06:45   Link #42
TronDD
Team the box!

I read on this board that they are going to have the artist redraw a few scenes.

I bought the Japanese language versions to make sure I get uncensored mind warping violence.

EDIT: However, ironically, I like the "leave it to your imagination" style of the violance in the anime series.

Last edited by TronDD; 2004-02-02 at 06:57.
Old 2004-02-02, 08:34   Link #43
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by corp20
I have one question for you all...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-02-02, 08:41   Link #44
TronDD
Team the box!

Family bonds are stronger in Japanese culture.
Old 2004-02-02, 10:16   Link #45
TronDD
Team the box!

I just watched the nurse's office scene in episode 11 and thought of something else.

Spoiler:

With they'd hurry up and translate all the manga.
Old 2004-02-02, 11:45   Link #46
Goras

So... the US version of narutaru manga is going to be "changed"?

@#$@#$
Old 2004-02-02, 12:23   Link #47
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goras
So... the US version of narutaru manga is going to be "changed"?@#$@#$
Well, StudioProteus.com just closed (they announced it on their site before it went down -- yes it's closed) so I can't give you any links, but Studio Proteus never stated HOW Dark Horse was going to handle the situation. Toren Smith of Studio Proteus said that there may be some trouble running that chapter, but it was up to Dark Horse to decide how the situation was going to be handled.

Please don't have a cow until we either get confimation that the series will be edited, or it comes out (or doesn't come out) in Super Manga Blast or a collected Graphic Novel. No one knows yet.
Old 2004-02-02, 12:43   Link #48
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
Well, StudioProteus.com just closed (they announced it on their site before it went down -- yes it's closed) so I can't give you any links, but Studio Proteus never stated HOW Dark Horse was going to handle the situation. Toren Smith of Studio Proteus said that there may be some trouble running that chapter, but it was up to Dark Horse to decide how the situation was going to be handled.

Please don't have a cow until we either get confimation that the series will be edited, or it comes out (or doesn't come out) in Super Manga Blast or a collected Graphic Novel. No one knows yet.
Aggh! I just BOUGHT narutaru manga 1!

Is it ok if someone scans the "toned down" scenes and translates them(or at least tells me) so i know what I missed(if they DO tone it down, that is.)
Old 2004-02-02, 14:07   Link #49
Goras

The volume that we are talking here is vol 5? because this one is to be released in march 2004 I think.
Old 2004-02-02, 14:09   Link #50
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goras
The volume that we are talking here is vol 5? because this one is to be released in march 2004 I think.
Volume 6.....
Old 2004-02-02, 14:10   Link #51
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Heh, if the Narutaru manga is cencored it's a huge step back from how far we've come already.
Grrr, don't licence it if you can't bring it out in its original form -_-
Old 2004-02-02, 17:33   Link #52
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Heh, if the Narutaru manga is cencored it's a huge step back from how far we've come already.
I disagree. I think that the fact that it's coming out at all is a huge step forward.
Old 2004-02-02, 18:33   Link #53
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Aggh! I just BOUGHT narutaru manga 1!

Is it ok if someone scans the "toned down" scenes and translates them(or at least tells me) so i know what I missed(if they DO tone it down, that is.)
Hmm nothing censored visually that I 've spotted to date (althought the later scenes in Volume 6 are going to be a cert) as well as possibally parts of Volume 10, 11 and 12....

In terms of conversations though there have been a few changes (probably for legal reasons). Ie the girl that came to tell tsurumaru (see my avvy) she was pregnant with his child was only 14 years old
Also the first time that Shiina and Akira meet Tsurumaru and Norio, afterwards Norio and Tsurumaru discuss their meeting with the girls and Tsurumaru tells Norio he can tell that Akira is a potential Nymphomaniac I'm pretty sure Dark Horse glossed over this because of Akira's age too (although they may have problems with the later volumes with another character......).
Old 2004-02-02, 19:37   Link #54
TronDD
Team the box!

Sex and 15 year olds isn't a problem in the Battle Royale manga. And that doesn't just talk about it. That one is released by Tokyopop, I think. It's less a legal issue than one of company standards, I'd say. I guess Dark Horse would rather be known to edit and censor the manga they license than as peddlers of lolita smut.
Old 2004-02-02, 23:30   Link #55
marin

Well Dark Horse/Studio Proteus are not selling "Shadow Star" as an OMG MATURE manga like Battle Royale, they are selling it as a Young Adult story alongside their other Super Manga Blast titles and such.
Old 2004-02-02, 23:40   Link #56
corp20
Internet God

I don't believe that Shadow Star is heavily edited. Only a few Graphic Scenes. Well thats what I know.
Old 2004-02-02, 23:57   Link #57
marin

It's not heavily edited yet
Old 2004-02-03, 00:21   Link #58
corp20
Internet God

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
It's not heavily edited yet
What a pessimist...
Accentuate the positive.
Old 2004-02-03, 04:41   Link #59
CodeWordChobits
Person just for her

Wow I'm really glad to see all the replies to my origional speculations outloud. But I think that we have gotten off topic.... I know that it being edited or watered down is a big concern because the appeal of this anime/manga is it's punch you in the gut aproach to things that we would rather not have to deal with in real life. We need to get back to more speculation on some of the lesser known aspects of it, hehe. Has anyone thought about my earlier idea that
Spoiler:
I know it may be a little too much thinking but it makes for an interesting association back to some of the other chars. Let me know what you think of this one. Also, if there is anything that you are not sure about or are wondering what other people think when they see those same images you are looking at post it here... I love this series and I want to discuss it more with fans. So speculate away folks
Old 2004-02-03, 12:16   Link #60
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp20
What a pessimist...
Accentuate the positive.
The positive would be easier to accentuate if we didn't know what was coming, and how utterly graphic it truly is. It will be heavily edited, in certain scenes. We know this because of how these scenes were handled in other countries, where the initial volume in question (6) was already released -- edited. And since we're talking about the American release, it stands to figure that the same thing will happen...because after all, America is the land of censorship where the highest priority is "thinking of the children."
Closed Thread

Tags
sci-fi