AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-09-04, 08:23   Link #81
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
High: Fine timing to prevent reverse scene bleeds, on-screen signs are frame timed exactly, delay timing i.e. Lunar-style

Yay, I'm a high-skilled timer ^_^ (not that I do sign timing, typesetter usually does that).

P.S. delay timing = alpha timing
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 09:20   Link #82
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Yay, I'm a high-skilled timer ^_^ (not that I do sign timing, typesetter usually does that).

P.S. delay timing = alpha timing
I don't like that terminology since it doesn't really use any alpha blending: It's always 100% or 0%

Plus "alpha" timing seems to imply that it's cooler than just "timing" which is a matter of opinion.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 09:30   Link #83
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I don't like that terminology since it doesn't really use any alpha blending: It's always 100% or 0%

Plus "alpha" timing seems to imply that it's cooler than just "timing" which is a matter of opinion.
I was always kinda partial to the term I first heard it coined as back in 05, "Karaoke Dialogue"
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 10:04   Link #84
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Alpha timing = uses alpha tags to force-delay parts of a sub. I think the terminology is pretty apt, personally.

And wouldn't karaoke dialogue involve some changing of colour and/or bouncing letters?
Old 2008-09-04, 10:08   Link #85
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Na, refered to how plain {\k} mode worked. that other stuff isn't really kara imo. It is more text effects.
Old 2008-09-04, 10:21   Link #86
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Na, refered to how plain {\k} mode worked. that other stuff isn't really kara imo. It is more text effects.

I'm no expert here, but doesn't {\k} mode just change colours - it doesn't use disappearing text unless you stick alpha tags in it somewhere, right?

On another note: I hate disappearing karas - what's the point of them? They're there so you can read the romanizations... but if they disappear when said, then why have them? Seems silly.
Old 2008-09-04, 10:34   Link #87
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

in the style itself you can set alpha and it doesn't switch color, it switches field from secondary to primary. So if those 2 colors are set the same no color change.
Old 2008-09-05, 09:59   Link #88
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Or you could use \ko and have the secondary color as fully transparent.

Wait, this is actually pretty intelligent. Has anyone done this before?
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 11:06   Link #89
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku Send a message via Skype™ to Koroku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Has anyone done this before?
Yes, it's been done.
Old 2008-09-05, 22:44   Link #90
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroku View Post
Yes, it's been done.
indeed it has. We figured it out about 5 min after seeing the \alpha timing the first time. We as in typesetters at A-E. I'm sure it was the same for near all the veteran typesetters at the time. The only issue with that method is you have to \pos into position since it is overlapping 2 diff subs and if you have a collision at that point you have to manually set that one to a diff \pos. Also you cannot use shadow at all unless you create a 3rd line to use as the shadow only. so the \alpha method is best in the end. But, it still reminds me of karaoke the way it works.
Old 2008-09-07, 07:11   Link #91
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Does anyone have or know someone who may have a back up of scriptclubs archives? I have been trying to contact them but it is beginning to appear that they are gone for good which I find to be a shame. I would hate to see the great resource they had disappear. Please contact me if you have any information pertaining to this.

Tags
fansub process, script resource