AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-07-15, 19:14   Link #21
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
People actually use Jabber? >____<
Old 2008-07-15, 21:51   Link #22
DryFire
Panda Herder

If you want an IRC-alternative something like campfire would be great (see http://www.campfirenow.com/ ). A free, standalone version of campfire would be great, but would be too resource intensive for large groups of people.

It's not a novel idea, but it seems pretty nice for groups that don't have their own hosting or the know how to install the project management/wiki software they want.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 12:09   Link #23
silverado

now tell me why would anyone need a chat log tool such as campfire -_-
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 23:06   Link #24
DryFire
Panda Herder

It's more fun to use than a forum?
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 00:19   Link #25
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Forums are fun?
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 04:08   Link #26
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
silverado, are you really saying that fansubbing and real time chat don't go hand-in-hand?

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 05:14   Link #27
silverado

I'm saying that you don't buy a car just to drive to the supermarkt 10 metres next to your house. If you want to chat there are irc and irc logs. No need for such as thing like campfire.
Old 2008-07-17, 06:08   Link #28
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
real time chat cat help productivity alot by lowering the response times..
compare that to mail, if you're not hammering your pop3 server there'll be a 5-10 delay between the time something is sent to you and the time you see it.
with something like mirc even if you are not acutally checking it at the moment you can have it flash upon receiving a private msg. thus having a much lower response time.
that can shave lots of minutes..

if for whatever reason the original translation is changed while the editor is working on it with e-mail there could be 10 wasted editor minutes.
with irc there could be alot less..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 08:24   Link #29
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I'm saying that you don't buy a car just to drive to the supermarkt 10 metres next to your house. If you want to chat there are irc and irc logs. No need for such as thing like campfire.
If people are using irc then why would they need to use ROME? We're going in circles again!

-Tofu
Old 2008-07-17, 09:46   Link #30
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
silverado: How long did it take to build ROME anyway? Like, a day?

*gets shot*
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 10:28   Link #31
silverado

I think you are looking for an instant messanger replacement like irc. In that case I suggest you to try campfire or to use a web based irc client like pjirc. But if your work consists of many different tasks running simultanously then task management becomes more important. My scanlation group uses Rome and it has become really handy. If you are a 2 men group, you might not need it. But if you have many different members and tasks, I suggest register a project try it out for yourself. It's absolutely free!

Last edited by silverado; 2008-07-17 at 12:00.
Old 2008-07-17, 11:23   Link #32
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
silverado: How long did it take to build ROME anyway? Like, a day?

*gets shot*
Rome wasn't built in a day!

*gets shot along with you*
Old 2008-07-17, 13:15   Link #33
Starks
*Scanlator

chat logs are ESSENTIAL to fansubbing. they help to provide a level of accountability for staff members.
Old 2008-07-17, 14:09   Link #34
silverado

And so does task management for team organization. Rome affects in no way your need for communication, it simply tells you who is currently working on what. It replaces the staff boards and irc topic scripts to get a hold of status. But if you feel urged to be in irc because it's easier to communicate, then you are talking about instant messanging and not task management anymore. Maybe you should look it this way: rome expands your communication channels while organizing your tasks. You know what your member is doing even if he's not online in irc and you can concentrate on your work without being disrupted with msn, irc and other things. It's simply more time efficient for team managers. But hey, if you seriously love irc that much, how about I add an irc chat for you?
Old 2008-07-17, 14:30   Link #35
Starks
*Scanlator

not be rude or anything, but the concept of replacing irc is infuriating. you are proposing something that many would consider to be a fansubbing sacrilege.
Old 2008-07-17, 15:13   Link #36
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
And so does task management for team organization. Rome affects in no way your need for communication, it simply tells you who is currently working on what. It replaces the staff boards and irc topic scripts to get a hold of status. But if you feel urged to be in irc because it's easier to communicate, then you are talking about instant messanging and not task management anymore. Maybe you should look it this way: rome expands your communication channels while organizing your tasks. You know what your member is doing even if he's not online in irc and you can concentrate on your work without being disrupted with msn, irc and other things. It's simply more time efficient for team managers. But hey, if you seriously love irc that much, how about I add an irc chat for you?
why not just leave irc and this as 2 separate things and forget the whole "disrupted" issue since msn, aim, irc, and every other chat app I've ever seen is able to be minimized to the tray. Instead of saying your app will replace something or be the "cure" for something, why not just say that it is an additional tool that you can use ALONG with the other tools people use. I understand you are from a manga scans group and thats what this app was developed for. Fansubs actually have a pretty different system than scanlation. That is why you rarely see fansubbers scanlating and visa versa.

I'm not saying your app has no use or anything biased like that just because I don't use it. I'm sure some ppl in fansubs have already tried it and found it interesting, but you can't expect the app to be a cure all. All groups pretty much have a system of notification that is designed just for them. Also fansub groups don't rotate staff like manga groups may. We generally have the same staff working in the same order through whole series unless someone quits or something. Maybe making the app very open and able to be customized to a high degree would best suit the varied needs of groups.

I personally think a section for absences would be helpful, as well as a section that just outlines stylesheets/typeset info/naming systems/eyc... for series would be cool.

Just suggestions of course. Take them with a grain of salt. ^^
Old 2008-07-17, 15:15   Link #37
Tofusensei

Quote:
You know what your member is doing even if he's not online in irc and you can concentrate on your work without being disrupted with msn, irc and other things.
Wow, you're wrong on two parts.

#1- we know what a member is doing by keeping the irc topic updated with status updates as listed before. My group has more active projects than almost any fansub group out there and yet we manage to squeeze it all into one irc topic.

#2- As stated before, fansubbing is about like-minded individuals having a good time and not about "concentrating on work". There have been competitors to ROME available since well before digital fansubbing took off (Primavera, MS Project, etc.) and we never adopted it because we want to chat with each other. That's half the fun of being in a fansub group.

Anyway, I digress.

-Tofu
Old 2008-07-17, 15:16   Link #38
silverado

I guess some people are still confusing chatting with task management.
Old 2008-07-17, 15:20   Link #39
Tofusensei

Quote:
I guess some people are still confusing chatting with task management.
Isn't using an irc topic listing status updates a form of task management?

-Tofu
Old 2008-07-17, 15:22   Link #40
silverado

fansubbing is actually quite similiar to scanlation. 99% of the scanlation groups still squeezes status updates in irc topics, but it's not really the way it should be continued. as I understand the situation fansubbers seem to be a more localized, homogenous group while scanlators have usually members from at least three different nations, which provides one crucial difference: time zones. it's simply not possible for everyone to come online at the same time. the timeframe is quite small. with rome you have a very flexible to do list and scheduling feature, that allows you to work when you want and where you want without the "internet lagg" problem.

edit: no, squeezing a "Bleach-183-T100%" into a one-line-topic is not what i understand under task managemet.

Tags
project management