AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2008-07-16, 22:01   Link #1
james0246

Project Runway (Season 5): "Let's Start at the Begining"

(I somehow doubt that this thread will survive, but I felt I should give it a try just to check . Additionally, to moderators, I looked for older Project Runway threads, but was unable to find any under the title Project Runway, so if there is a pre-existing thread, please simply delete or merge the threads for greater ease of management.)

Season 5 of the hit Peabody award winning Bravo television show Project Runway has just aired on Bravo. The theme for Season 5 First Episode - "Let's Start at the Beginning", and it really shows. A more diverse, even "edgier", cast (see Bios here), a different time slot (9/8c rather than the old time of 10/9c), and, most surprising, the fact that this will be the last season on Bravo (it is moving to Lifetime starting next year, and even more surprising, the show will be shot in LA starting next season).

For a first episode...somewhat timid in comparison to other seasons, especially if this is the last season on Bravo. They certainly lived up to the theme of "Start[ing] at the Beginning", by rehashing the Heidi Klum favourite challenge of "Innovation" ("Designers must create a sexy, glamorous outfit for a night on the town made only from materials bought at a Manhattan supermarket.") They even brought back the original winner (Austin) of this Season 1 challenge to act as a judge. To bad none of the contestants lived up to Austin’s original creativity (though there were some close designs).

Winner of the first episode: Kelli - she created an interesting dress out of Vacuum Cleaner bags and Coffee filters. A somewhat simplistic (in design) dress, which was greatly enhanced with a splash of toner cartridge ink and laundry bleach to create a wonderful marble pattern/design on the dresses bottom. Added to that was a very nice back held together by the spiral rings of a spiral notebook. What was most shocking about this dress was how wearable it seemed. Even the great designs by the 2nd and 3rd place winners Daniel (who created a beautifully sculptured dress solely out of plastic cups) and Korto (who created a wonderfully designed yellow dress out of a table linen and enhanced with a vegetable based shoulder piece) were not as immediately wearable or sexy as Kelli’s dress. Very inventive if not quite as overwhelming as the original Season 1 dresses. Here is an image of the winning design:

Kicked out: Jerry – he created a very…scary dress (if it could even be called a dress) out of Table linens and a shower curtain. Badly designed, and badly envisioned, the dress, as many judges and contestants stated, looked like the plastic garb that Christian Bale used in American Psycho to protect his clothing when he was cutting up his dead victims. Easily the worst dress of the show (but not the ugliest…which goes to the equally bad dresses created by designers Blayne and Stella). Here is an image of the losing design:

If this thread receives any notice, I will try to keep it going (if I have the time, of course). If not…well it will simply go the way of the majority of the threads created.

(all images provided by Bravo.com, if there is a problem with posting these images, please delete them.)

edit: added first episode images.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-07-17 at 22:57.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 22:10   Link #2
Captain Zechs

Kelli's dress was really good. I like it a lot, if moreso for the fact that I couldn't tell that she made it out of the items. The bleach/dye was definately a good touch, looked great. Blayne is annoying, I couldn't even tell...what his was, it just looked like he put some things together and tacked it on, looked like crap. Jerry was also annoying, he acted so pompous and sure of himself, and yet when it came time to show what he was made of, he fell short, really, really short. The garbage bag dress was crappy also, but eh, I'll let it slide, this was a tough challenge IMO. I loved the yellow dress w/real food, that was awesome.
Captain Zechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 23:09   Link #3
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zechs View Post
Kelli's dress was really good. I like it a lot, if moreso for the fact that I couldn't tell that she made it out of the items. The bleach/dye was definately a good touch, looked great. Blayne is annoying, I couldn't even tell...what his was, it just looked like he put some things together and tacked it on, looked like crap. Jerry was also annoying, he acted so pompous and sure of himself, and yet when it came time to show what he was made of, he fell short, really, really short. The garbage bag dress was crappy also, but eh, I'll let it slide, this was a tough challenge IMO. I loved the yellow dress w/real food, that was awesome.
Agreed. This was actually my favourite dress amongst the three "Best" dresses, and it fit the model beautifully (the dress colour accented the models skin tone quite well). Kelli, more than anything, won because her dress was both sexy, and wholely inventive (you are correct that the fact that it was hard to tell what the dress was made of was what made it the most overall inventive dress).

I have to give props to the Blue sculptered Plastic cup dress, though. True it did not fit the model well, in fact it fit her quite badly, but the fact that it was made entirely of plastic cups, and turned into a near seamless designed/sculptered dress was quite impressive.
Old 2008-07-17, 02:19   Link #4
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

Another show, where the interactions among the characters and the judges' reactions (in addition to the beautiful host) are more important than the products and their carriers. But, still, it was a good one. I am saying was, because, I stopped watching after the first two seasons. And, I didn't know that it was still going on. Though I have to admit, compared to American Idol and such deeply fried competitions, at least this gives a product at the end, and teaches something during the process. (Interestingly, I am getting a deja vu suggesting a discussion on that taking place here or there-have no idea about the there-)
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 03:57   Link #5
Captain Zechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Agreed. This was actually my favourite dress amongst the three "Best" dresses, and it fit the model beautifully (the dress colour accented the models skin tone quite well). Kelli, more than anything, won because her dress was both sexy, and wholely inventive (you are correct that the fact that it was hard to tell what the dress was made of was what made it the most overall inventive dress).

I have to give props to the Blue sculptered Plastic cup dress, though. True it did not fit the model well, in fact it fit her quite badly, but the fact that it was made entirely of plastic cups, and turned into a near seamless designed/sculptered dress was quite impressive.
Eh. I guess it was kind of creative, I couldn't do that, or any of those, except the garbage bag one. Seriously, I could have done that, and I have no experience in that field, LAME.

I just didn't like the cups, I felt the only reason he got praised so much was because it was different, well, it looked like crap IMO, I don't care how creative it was, if it doesn't look good it shouldn't be flaunted so much.
Captain Zechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 04:11   Link #6
james0246

^LOL, that is true. From a construction perspective, the Plastic Cup dress was well put together and interesting. But, from an aesthetic perspective, the dress was very unattractive and if done with traditional fabrics would have been boring and too "old" fashioned.

I was very upset with the Garbage Bag dress, though. That could have turned into something very interesting, but instead the designer created something that you or I could have put together. Hell, we, as novices, could have probably done a better basic design if not the actual construction .

---

I added some images of the winning and losing dresses to the first post, but they are not very good. I will look into adding a youtube link of the winners runway walk, to more adequetly portray the dresses inovative qualities.

In the future, if anyone wishes to add images please do (I will attempt to keep the images, etc. routinely updated, but do not rely soley on my abilities ). I will try to keep this thread active from week to week, but if anyone feels like taking over, just take over. Don't worry, I will not be upset .

Last edited by james0246; 2008-07-23 at 22:43.
Old 2008-07-23, 22:42   Link #7
james0246

Episode 2: [The] Grass is Always Greener

How could a simple cocktail dress turn out so bad…

In this week’s episode, Project Runway goes green. Not the colour, nor the energy efficientcy policy, but rather organic fabrics. Sounds easy enough, especially if you only have to make a cocktail dress, but, here comes the twist: the models have to pick out the fabrics. So, what becomes a relatively simple task, suddenly takes a turn for the worse, as 15 non-experienced individuals must choose the fabrics they think will best suit themselves. Again, sounds easy (what Model doesn’t know how to dress themselves in fashion appropriate clothing in the morning?), but the models seemingly went out of their way to choose bad fabrics or only fabrics, leaving out closure items (such as buttons, zippers, belts, etc).

Long story short, there was a great deal of challenge for what the designers probably assumed was going to be relatively easy. Still, I am a sucker for cocktail dresses (I love women in semi-elegant/semi-formal wear ), and a few of the designs were nice.

(Of special note, the ever cute Natalie Portman was the guest judge for this episode. What she lacks in fashion experience, she makes up for in adorability ).

Winner: Suede – the increasingly annoying Suede put together a very interesting cocktail dress for the win. Composed of various pieces of different coloured silks, cut up as strips and then sewn intricately back together, the piece was very nice and well designed (it definitely seemed “young” in comparison to the other more elegant dresses by the other members of the Top 3 (Stella with a drastic comeback from lasts weeks horrific failure, and Kenley who put together the overall most elegant dress in the competition)). Overall a very exotic dress with a distinct flair to its design and very nicely constructed. Here is a picture:

Out: Wesley – with a name like Wesley, I just knew that this designer would be kicked off fast . Wesley managed to create a badly designed bag/sack (that is ultimately what this dress is, a bag/sack), that did not fit his model and was ill-constructed. The basic design would have worked, though. Part of this dresses problem is the silks colour. Who am I kidding, most of the problem is the awful gold-brown colour (non-coincidentally, the bottom three lowest ranking dresses were all made of this similar ugly golden-brown silk). Which is strange since the fabric actually matches the models skin tone, but the lack of proper fitting mixed with bad construction, made this dress a failure. Here is a picture:

All in all, a decent episode, if not quite as interesting as it could be. The twist to this challenges was unneeded this early in the show, and would have better suited the more seasoned contestants later in the show, after the individuals had been allowed to get “into the swing of things”, so to say. Still, Natalie Portman is cute, and I am a sucker for a good cocktail dress (even if the hems were a little higher than I like on a cocktail dress).

(again, all images provided by Bravo.com, if there is a problem with posting these images, please delete them.)