AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-07-17, 21:17   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Artists Alike and from Afar - June Drawings Contest (Theme - Summer)

Hello and I'd like to say hi from myself (Aoie_Emesai), and everyone else from the Artist Alike Social Group.

But we would like to post our drawing here from our Current June Drawing Contest for those of Animesuki to see and to vote upon.

For this June drawing theme, it is "Summer."

ps: I did not post some of the rules to the contest, due to them only affecting the contestants and not the voters.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

About The Artist Alike and Afar Social Group - I create this group back around when Vbulletin start with their recent upgrade to version 3.7.1 and myself who love/like to draw wanted to share my like/love of it with with others of Animesuki. It was a slow start, but 32 members strong at the moment.

But what ever the reason was, our true purpose is to simply draw and critique on others drawings. "Share our world with each other" ^^

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

About the contest:
This contest is open to all members of the Artists Alike and from Afar social group. The goal of this contest is for people to learn from each other’s drawings as well as have fun in the process through the process of a contest.

About the Time period Voting:

Since this is the first time with this for me and the Group, it has actually ran late and has been extended but this phase for voting shall still turn out the same.

July 17 - July 24 , will be the duration of this voting phase, ending exactly at 11:59pm on the 24th, GMT time.

About the Theme:
Each month prospective contestants are given a theme to base their entries on. This theme is decided by the winner of the previous contest. There are several types of themes, mainly being

I) Content theme
a. What you want the contestant to draw (nothing against the forum rules please)
b. For example, beach, winter, or gothic. (don’t take these as guidelines, you can choose something special)
c. Please try to limit your themes so they aren’t so wide, but don’t limit it to much – do leave it open to a certain extent of interpretation.
d. Limiting by character. For example, we can choose a character like ichigo from bleach and have everybody draw that character.

II)
Material theme
a. Different materials may present different challenges and it will add an interesting touch to the contest
b. However try to limit the materials to things that are relatively easy to find (eg. Charcoal, markers).
c. Materials like tablets should not be a material, because it is not easily accessible to anyone.

III) Colour or non colour?
a. Since we do not have alot of members anyway, we probably shouldn't have a coloring section and non coloring section. At the same time however, these should not be judged together, since in most cases, coloring would be given more credit, so please make it clear in the theme of the contest whether coloring is allowed.

About the voting rubric: - Thanks to Scep who took the time to create the rubrics which I'm going by.

When you vote, you are encouraged to give feedback and suggestions to individual artists, as well as to give them a score. Giving scores and feedback are not required, but it would be a nice gesture and would help them improve. When giving a score, please follow the following suggested rubrics:

Concept
Maximum marks: 10
General idea of the piece, dealing with perhaps the impact, interesting perspective, etc.

Creativity
Strictly creativity, something that is refreshing or you never expected would be in this theme but yet is fitting.

Execution
Drawing skill and style. Attention to detail should also be credited in this area.

When voting, you are required to choose three entries that you think are the most outstanding.

~~~~~ Example on how to vote on them
Spoiler for stolen from escimo:

And here are our Entries (alphabetized by user names)

mimi_girl - (mimi_girl has no scanner and thus is a photo shot)
Spoiler:

HayashiYakara -
Spoiler:

Reiya -
Spoiler:

Scep -
Spoiler:

toxic_trance -
Spoiler:

yoruichi_fan -
Spoiler:

Happi voting and have some fun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
I know this is unprofessional but I needed to get the message across.

ps: Just in case some of the members of Artist Alike are wondering why I didn't participate in the contest, the answer is, "Aoie Draws Slow" ^^

ps2: Remember me saying "I wish I had something to give the winner, but I didn't have anything?" Well, I do now, So win and vote away. (I'll PM the winner once the item comes / I buy them ^^. The item should be fun for any anime lover) (That's if I can win them, if not I'll try to find something else for ya)

Oh yeah, those from the Artist Alike Group, you're not allowed to vote anymore since your vote has already been balloted, unless you didn't vote before.(this is a continuation of phase 1.) (+ less work for me ^^, huhuhu )

I'm drawing my sick girl in bed image ^^ - I'll post it up later (pretty much done with it)

Oh god... firefox almost blew on me >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2008-07-18 at 13:39.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 09:57   Link #2
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Hi guys ^_^ Just popping in to encourage everyone to vote for whoever you think is the best. Do leave your C&C as well if you can, it's of great help and really encouraging for the artists. Of course, if you want to take part in this contest next month, feel free to pop by and join the group

voting 

(I'm lazy to complete 'voting' XD)

Old 2008-07-18, 12:10   Link #3
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I have to admit that I feel a bit "scared" by the feedback options. To post comments and score based on Concept,Creativity and Execution seems a little too much for poor little me.

Still, here are my votes:

Reiya: I like yours a lot. Always liked drawings with a soft feel to them (i.e: no thick lines) and the face of the girl was enough to draw my attention when I first saw it. You certainly have something nice going on here.

Wish there was more to the background in general, though.

Oh, and she also reminds me of one of the Minami sisters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

toxic trance: Not much to add here, simply because the whole drawing is pretty amazing. I would be interested in seeing toxic have a go at it using Reiya's style, Btw.

Oh, and Aoie... it's trance not trace.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yoruichi_fan: This one feels as if it was sourced out of a painting; Dont have a clue if that was the case, but that was my first impression upon seeing it.

The best part about this one is the sky........ me thinks.

And that's that. Good luck everyone!
Old 2008-07-18, 13:40   Link #4
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Oh, and Aoie... it's trance not trace.
Got it, got it now ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-07-18, 18:52   Link #5
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
I'm not sure if creativity is a good category to have here; concept and execution might've been enough. Will detail it when discussing Hayashi's score. My ranking is from first to third. Any comments are in spirit of constructive criticism..........and in the context that I'm a talentless noob .

1) Scep
Concept:
I love the twist here...........making summer into a desert land. There all sorts of inferences over-imaginative readers can draw here, including about the boredom of summer, the ennui that comes with it. The slightly wistful feeling that one should be enjoying it, but isn't . Of course, you might've had a different message in mind, but the point is it's a wonderfully evocative theme to make any viewer think upon reading it.
10/10

Creativity:
Same as above. 10/10

Execution:
I can't fault this........the eagles swooping over-head, the desert sign, all add a nice touch of detail. The best part is your central character. What is he thinking? Why is he down? He's dressed all for summer, but his look is melancholy. And I love the slight effeminate way you've drawn him, he's very cute . And those legs.......va-va voom!
Having seen Toxic Trance's professionalism and excellence in detail, you're not at that level (sorry), although you have better characters and general vibe of the scene. So, you both get same score on execution:
9/10.

2) Toxic Trance:
Concept:
Summer vacation and the bikini is out........teens having a good time . Doesn't really scream summer at me, but still a fun pic.
6.5/10

Execution:
The detail and correctness here is astounding. You must be a professional :S. If I had to justify not giving a perfect 10, the characters don't quite grab my attention as their own persons. No-one to stick in the memory. Thats just personal preference though, and I appreciate only so much can be done in 1 pic.
The girls are certainly hot enough .
9/10

Creativity: Coming up with original characters , in this much detail, deserves plaudits. Yet, nothing that really stands out as creative.
6.5/10

3) Hayashi Takara:
Concept:
The concept is tried and true, sweet summer and the innocence of youth.
8.5/10.

Creativity:
Creativity isn't the best category for judging a drawing, imho. If someone chooses something suitable for the theme, he'll get pounded for lack of originality here. It's hard to bring a creative twist and still stay keep it simple, only with 1 image. Your theme was very traditional, Hayashi. That shouldn't matter much, but since the rules force originality as a criteria:
5/10

Execution:
Everything is nicely done, from the expression on the girl's face, to the mischievious smile on the boy. The dog is cute, the water sparkles. The background and trees were low detail, but it fits stylistically in the cute cartoon style. Yet for me, there's that undefinable spark missing here. Can't put my finger on it, but in your other art, the characters looked more real and interesting, which is why I have high expectations. Over here, the children look like they're straight from a postcard. Not a major knock, just saying why it's good but not great for me.
7.5/10

Last edited by Amirali; 2008-07-18 at 23:39.
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 23:02   Link #6
Langus
Optimus Prime

1.) HayashiTakara, Very animated and fun. The use of bright colours was a good choice for this one and the content couldn't have been any more 'summer'. The dog was a nice addition since it shows your versatility. The only thing I think could use some work is the shadows.
Concept
10/10
Creativity
7/10
Execution
8/10

2.) Reiya, I love the style of this one. Soft lines and an appreciation for the feminine form. Their expressions exude fun to the extent that you can almost hear them playing beach volleyball if you think about it hard enough. I'm not sure what the ghost like things are in the back but they're cute. Had this been in colour I think it would've been my first pick.
Concept
9/10
Creativity
10/10
Execution
6/10

3.) yoruichi_fan, I love this one, both for its concept and the way you chose to execute it. The angle you started from was well chosen since it brings the viewer right into the shot. You're there with him wistfully gazing out at the sunset. The pack on his back is nice too since it adds just the right element of narrative - is he heading home from the day at the beach or a wanderer moving on to his next destination? The use of colour was beautiful, vivid and well done.
Concept
8/10
Creativity
8/10
Execution
9/10
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 22:26   Link #7
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Bumperzors
Old 2008-07-20, 01:10   Link #8
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Damn u sig makers...

Ah just kidding..

well..i know SOTM is goin on and people are busy.. but it would be gr8 if people dropped by here too. People have worked hard to submit stuff..and original artwork is definitely a lot of effort... so people pls drop by n vote

and yes.. bumperzors again :P
Old 2008-07-20, 14:58   Link #9
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

I'm hardly a good critic, but I'll try to give some comments and hope it's constructive. D:

HayashiYakara

The kids' expressions adds liveliness to the image. Love the dog. The trees in the background feels flat and lacking depth. Maybe try making the river translucent so you can see parts of the river bed.

Concept: 8/10
Creativity: 8/10
Execution: 7/10

Reiya

Very clean feel to the image. Humorous activities in the background. Girl in the foreground is attractive. Her arms feel a bit too thin and her thighs too thick imho. The lines around the ball doesn't convey movement too well, maybe some blurring will help. Aside from the 2 main girls, the rest could do with more details.

Concept: 7/10
Creativity: 8.5/10
Execution: 7/10

yoruichi_fan

Interesting perspective. Background has a nice, painting feel to it, though a bit too blurry for me. The bag looks kinda flat. Are those pokeballs?

Concept: 8/10
Creativity: 7/10
Execution: 8/10
Old 2008-07-21, 23:08   Link #10
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Another Bumpers, damn signature threads are too popular XD
Old 2008-07-22, 02:58   Link #11
Delitesco
Hobby Artist

toxic_trance
6/10 Concept
7/10 Creativity
10/10 Execution
The background doesn't make sens nor the jumping skate girl, is it three backgrounds?. You only got the summer theme into your characters not the background. You got some interesting and hard-to-do poses. Really nice work on the detail level and shading. Overall it is very good!

yoruichi_fan
7/10 Concept
4/10 Creativity
8/10 Exec]ution
Simple but still very good. The colors are really good and can't find much to complain about . Meyby except that it doesn't much of creativity; Girl walking on beach is a nice summer theme but in a contest it sometimes to be more then that.

Reiya
8/10 Concept
4/10 Creativity
2/10 Execution
You did a really good work on the two girls but that is as far as it goes. Still, this is the picture that has the most SUMMER feal to it.

To the other contesters I will not give you points but comments:
Mimi_girl - Balls are always round not ovals, even in perspective. I find it strange you can draw a full human and a dog good but the ball..
HayashiYakara - The background you wanted to make is REALLY hard to do. Water and trees needs lots of practise to master especially when there are
people plying in the water making waves :P. One tip: water reflects the colors of it's enviroment, hard to do yes, but still it's important .

Scep - You nailed the background but you should practise more on shading and drawing people. Don't make one arm bigger then the other .
Delitesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 22:22   Link #12
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

A simple bump before it ends tomorrow ^^

Old 2008-07-24, 05:15   Link #13
escimo
Paparazzi

I'll just copypaste my previous vote here.

toxic_trance, Really nice scene and nice detail.
Concept
8/10
Creativity
7/10
Execution
9/10

Scep, I like the photograph-like perspective distortion. Love the coloring of the sky.
Concept
9/10
Creativity
8/10
Execution
8/10

HayashiTakara, I think it just screams summer. Expressions are really nice and lighting works nicely.
Concept
9/10
Creativity
7/10
Execution
8/10
Old 2008-07-25, 00:52   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

The June Drawing Contest is now over

Thanks for taking your time for voting and thus me being 5 and a half hours late, the 2nd voting phase is now over and any votes place after this post will not be counted.

But i'm rather sleepy at the moment and I cannot do the results, but I'lll finish this tomorrow.

We will take a break till August 1st and thus our 2nd drawing contest will start and like the SOTM, the winner will get to choose the theme for the next one. Which I hope I'll participate ^^

Jog our next theme and stuff

Old 2008-07-25, 21:18   Link #15
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Now that i'm back from work and finally able to tally up the scores.

Here they are -

mimi_girl - No votes

~~~~~~~~~~

HayashiYakara - 4 Votes

Concept: 8.7
Creativity: 7.6
Execution: 7.6

~~~~~~~~~~

Reiya - 3 Votes

Concept: 8
Creativity:
Execution: 5

~~~~~~~~~~

Scep - 2 Votes

Concept: 9.5
Creativity: 9
Execution: 8.5

~~~~~~~~~~

toxic_trance - 3 Votes

Concept: 6.8
Creativity: 7.6
Execution: 8.5

~~~~~~~~~~

yoruichi_fan - 3 Votes

Concept: 7.6
Creativity: 6.3
Execution: 8.3

Score wise, Scep would be the highest (with the average of 9), but vote count decides the winner.

Congratulations to HayashiYakara for winning the 2nd phase of the voting. ^^

*Cheers!*

*Throw multi-colored confetti into the air for HayashiYakara*

ps: Daniel E., I did not count your vote due to you not following the instruction when you placed your votes. /slap Daniel

-----------------

The Final voting will be placed in the Artist Alike Social Group Chat. Which is simply the best average of the two winner or single winner of the two.

Come see the festivities ^^

Old 2008-07-25, 23:02   Link #16
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
ps: Daniel E., I did not count your vote due to you not following the instruction when you placed your votes. /slap Daniel
Ooops, sorry there!
Old 2008-07-25, 23:38   Link #17
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Ooops, sorry there!
It's ok. Even I am rather confused. The next one, i'll have to revamp the rubrics and rules a bit to be simpler.

Old 2008-07-25, 23:44   Link #18
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I didn't knew that there exist this contest,

I'll try to join the next one
Old 2008-07-26, 03:49   Link #19
Delitesco
Hobby Artist

Gratts HayashiYakara .

Aoie_Emesai, I want to know more about what "Artists Alike and from Afar". Like, how often do you contests like this?
Delitesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 05:45   Link #20
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

We hold one every month. (though you'll have to be a member to participate, no exceptions. We're not trying to be eliteist in any way, but this is a Social Group project thing, so that's why) [Participation means, just to submit a drawing of your own, not to vote]

- 2 weeks for submission
- 1 week for the 1st voting phase done by the group
- another 1 week where we post them here on animesuki for the forum to vote too

We'll hold one next month too and if i'm too busy, i'll simply pass the duty to someone else, which I don't think i'll do since i'm not that busy ^^

The next one will be held August 1st, which the winner will get to choose the theme, and if not, he/she can pass it to the 2nd place and so on and so on.

For more info and discussion, you can visit the group ^^

Linky or you can click on my sig, it links to the group anyway.

ps: by the way, hayashi isn't the official winner of the contest. If you're interested to see, why. Drop by in ^^

Tags
contest, drawing