AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-18, 21:27   Link #1
EdenB
Overlord

Romance/? - Not sure who will end up with the main character

Can anyone recommend anime where you're not sure who will actually end up with the main character until the end? That and a good story, the romance can either be in the background as long as it's shown or the main plot. It's a bonus if it's a romance drama type but any genre works.

It has to be a BoyxGirl pairing though, I don't like yaoi anime.

I can't actually think of any good examples of this. Maybe Onegai Twins but I guessed the pairing from the start, though it could've gone the other way as a surprise till near the end (and did in the novel of it).

Bad examples would be things like Zero no Tsukaima (as much as I like it), Clannad or Ai Yori Aoshi where it'll obviously be the main female character even with all the other choices.
Old 2008-07-18, 23:55   Link #2
Autumn Demon
~

da capo
canvas 2
shuffle
school days
kimikiss pure rouge
kimi ga nozomu eien
Old 2008-07-19, 00:44   Link #3
Nervous Venus

^ those are all good ones, minus da capo >>;;;

Honey and Clover - There are a few love triangles (yep, boyxgirl), though we don't know who ends up with who. There's also Honey and Clover Season 2.

I wholeheartedly recommend it (if you haven't already seen it).

Victorian Romance Emma, though you'll think it is a given at first... you will be surprised at how it ends. There is also Victorian Romance Emma s2 to quench your thirst for knowledge of what happens next

Others are:
Nana
D.N. Angel
Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad (music-oriented anime, though the subplot involves the romance).

Golden oldies - Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, are good examples. Though the animation is really outdated.

The Vision of Escaflowne (fantasy, sci-fic genre), is also a great series, though the romances is in the background for the most part, it becomes an important element to the story later on, same goes for Rahxephon. , though these two are more "serious" anime, and I'm not sure you're into that.

I can't really think of any others at the moment. I hardly watch romances myself.
Old 2008-07-19, 03:30   Link #4
Oxtail

True Tears does a great job of keeping you in suspense. At various points, you become convinced that one girl is destined to win, only to have doubt creep in later on. Unlike some other anime(*cough*Canvas2*cough*), it doesn't try to trick you into thinking one is going to win and then pull a cheap switcheroo at the end. It really felt like it could go either way up until the last episode.
Old 2008-07-19, 14:40   Link #5
EdenB
Overlord

I've seen Kimi ga nozumu eien, school days (or part of but I didn't like it much), some of Maison Ikkoku (again, didn't like much although I really liked Ranma 1/2), Shuffle and Da Capo (all four seasons). True Tears looks good from what little I've seen though I'm hoping it doesn't take the obvious seeming Hiromi ending and surprises me.
Old 2008-07-19, 15:10   Link #6
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
There are a lot of suggestions here Thread

you'll find that most Love triangles are hard to determine who they'll end up with until the end.

also, while i do love Da capo (second all time favorite for me) I don't think its fitting because you know from about episode 6ish who hes gonna be with.

A GREAT suggestion is Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (which demon mentioned), you literally do not know who he is gonna be with till halfway through the last episode. There are parts where you think he'll be with one girl and then it switches so hard that you're like "oh, ya he'll be with her" and then it'll switch again..

In case you cannot find it, its also called Rumbling hearts.

I just recently watched it tho, and as many romance animes as i've ever seen it'l prolly be 5th all time on my list. I laughed, I Cried, and at the end the first words out of my mouth were, "Wow"
Closed Thread