AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-04-13, 23:42   Link #181
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
True, but at the same time Franken Fran has always given me the classic B movie/Outer Limits vibe, so I was expecting something more like her old self (maybe a bit older looking). You know, the temptress who lures in males and then shows them her "true form" so she can kill them after getting what she wants.

On the other hand it may very well not be her at all, or the author could be changing the story or adding to it later (like he did with Adorea). Given how much the series jumps around sometimes (like the bits with the police lady), it's hard to say.

For the record I hated chapter 2, mostly because the poor guy really didn't deserve that ending. I almost hope for a sequel where she brings the body to Fran to make him like her or something....I'm the odd kind of hopeless romantic maybe.
The 'fitting' part was the procedure-stealing doctor in Chapter 29. The poor bastard in Chapter 2... well, he got time with the girl, but the problem lay in Fran's methodology and her inability to think through the consequences of her actions, which lead to Kaneda going... well, buggy.

As for Adorea and the Police Lady, they're my favorite recurring characters. Especially the poor police lady.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 23:52   Link #182
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I was re-reading this series from the start when a weird thought came to me. Why did the professor gave Fran and Veronica scars? Does he have a scar fetish or something.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 00:07   Link #183
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I was re-reading this series from the start when a weird thought came to me. Why did the professor gave Fran and Veronica scars? Does he have a scar fetish or something.
Because they don't heal naturally, not bring alive in the normal sense? I recall, during the uncontrolled mitosis chapter, that Fran said all living beings had their cells renewed on a regular basis - except that it was different in her case. Which suggests her body's static, and the cells are kept 'alive' in a way not like normal tissue (where old cells die and are replaced by new ones)... so no renewal or healing.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 00:36   Link #184
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
If he can create Fran, i am sure that shouldn't be a problem for the professor.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 02:14   Link #185
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I think he wanted to make her seem kind of zombie-ish, but still keep her relatively the same in terms of human anatomy. This was probably the best compromise. I'm talking about the mangaka and the character designs.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 02:34   Link #186
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
The poor bastard in Chapter 2... well, he got time with the girl, but the problem lay in Fran's methodology and her inability to think through the consequences of her actions, which lead to Kaneda going... well, buggy.
IMO it's her skill at a limit. She tend to use experimental methods that deliver in the short term but the long term results can be something even she can't control. I don't think she intended ch2 to turn out that way.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 03:51   Link #187
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Of course she don't. She is a firm believer of love. She wants a happy end as much as we do, its just that her thinking is not that conventional sometimes. Also, people tends to forget that her offical profession is a researcher not a doctor.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 07:44   Link #188
Wrath88
Kissing...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I think he wanted to make her seem kind of zombie-ish, but still keep her relatively the same in terms of human anatomy. This was probably the best compromise. I'm talking about the mangaka and the character designs.
I dont' think so. Remember the time she had her throat cut? I think those stitches are for her to add/remove/modify herself. Like her multi-armed surgery self.
__________________
Okairii, Nerine-chan
Wrath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:24   Link #189
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
IMO it's her skill at a limit. She tend to use experimental methods that deliver in the short term but the long term results can be something even she can't control. I don't think she intended ch2 to turn out that way.
it is not her skill that hit a limit, it is her ability to think like a normal human that hit a brick wall.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 13:50   Link #190
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is not her skill that hit a limit, it is her ability to think like a normal human that hit a brick wall.

As I said, her ability to think through consequences. A less risky method which involved less radical changes might have worked almost as well, but have taken longer. So she chose to go for the best short-term payoff without thinking 'is the possible result or unintended side effect worth it?'.

This is where half the horror comes from, of course. Look at the Justice chapter for another example of the 'can't think through to possible end results'.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 17:16   Link #191
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Flan-chan
Age: 12
Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
I dont' think so. Remember the time she had her throat cut? I think those stitches are for her to add/remove/modify herself. Like her multi-armed surgery self.
It is probably more like a reference to Frankenstein. BUT DO NOTE, the creature in Frankenstein did not actually have stitches nor did Victor. Also look at the two electrodes at each side of her head.
The idea of creating the character Fran actually works backward. Author first comes up with a design then he thinks of the reason for the design. Therefore it doesn't really matter why they have scars, it just gives it a more of a horror element to it. I am pretty sure if Fran wanted to get rid of the scar, there is infinitely ways in the work of science fiction to do so. Thinking too deep into it, without given a reason from an author, would be like applying Physics to Touhou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
As I said, her ability to think through consequences. A less risky method which involved less radical changes might have worked almost as well, but have taken longer. So she chose to go for the best short-term payoff without thinking 'is the possible result or unintended side effect worth it?'.

This is where half the horror comes from, of course. Look at the Justice chapter for another example of the 'can't think through to possible end results'.
I don't think there was even an intended effect in the first place. It was all just an experiment, she never said that she is a doctor out to save anyone. The horror comes not from Fran's inability to think but the first time experimental aspect of it. Fran doesn't really care if they died, she just wanted to test if it worked. You are very mistaken if you think Fran's goal was to use the safest method to grant anyone's wish. The fact that Fran's standard of norm is different from everyone else just makes it worse.
__________________
I love Flandre Scarlet

Last edited by Izayoi; 2010-04-14 at 18:00.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 17:23   Link #192
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Interesting chapter, for those who don't remember - Kanade is the "insect girl" from the Chrysalis chapter. Odd that she doesn't look very human anymore though.

Still, gross. Not the worst thing I've read in Franken Fran however, it's rather tame in comparison to older chapters.
That is what this manga lacks: recurring characters. The only character that isn't in Fran's crew and is presented again and again is also the one I had absolutely no interest in, that female cop.

And I'm STILL pissed over chapter 2 whenever I think about it.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 22:00   Link #193
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
It is probably more like a reference to Frankenstein. BUT DO NOTE, the creature in Frankenstein did not actually have stitches nor did Victor. Also look at the two electrodes at each side of her head.
The idea of creating the character Fran actually works backward. Author first comes up with a design then he thinks of the reason for the design. Therefore it doesn't really matter why they have scars, it just gives it a more of a horror element to it. I am pretty sure if Fran wanted to get rid of the scar, there is infinitely ways in the work of science fiction to do so. Thinking too deep into it, without given a reason from an author, would be like applying Physics to Touhou.
That's part of it anyways, although during the first school chapter she noted that she needed time to 'do maintenance' on her arm, rather than just letting it rest and heal naturally. That suggests that whatever process was used to make her doesn't make her 'living' in the normal way, just as she stated in the Multiples2 chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
I don't think there was even an intended effect in the first place. It was all just an experiment, she never said that she is a doctor out to save anyone. The horror comes not from Fran's inability to think but the first time experimental aspect of it. Fran doesn't really care if they died, she just wanted to test if it worked. You are very mistaken if you think Fran's goal was to use the safest method to grant anyone's wish. The fact that Fran's standard of norm is different from everyone else just makes it worse.
Actually, she said she was a doctor who wanted to heal everyone and that life was the most valuable thing repeatedly in earlier chapters... even as people like Okita quietly questioned how someone who did the horrible things she did to others could call themselves a doctor, since she 'never healed anyone'. Of course, this is the same girl lecturing Victoria on killing people despite harvesting people's organs like in the chapter "Adorea" or else bombing a section of forest to kill a bunch of cockroaches even though there were possible victims of the blast there.

Fran does care if the victims die - but at the same time, she believes that this is all in the name of advancing the quality of life, which makes the end results that much more horrifying given her professed intentions and the results of those experimental procedures.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 23:35   Link #194
Wrath88
Kissing...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Well, Fran does help sometimes. Remember the girl who asked her to save her heart-condition brother? Although she couldn't help directly, she did accomplish it.
__________________
Okairii, Nerine-chan
Wrath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 23:42   Link #195
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I hope we get some backstory about Fran... she must have been a normal girl once.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 23:45   Link #196
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Well, Fran does help sometimes. Remember the girl who asked her to save her heart-condition brother? Although she couldn't help directly, she did accomplish it.
And the school plastic surgery ch, everyone got what they wanted and Fran was just tired at the end.

It is certainly possible to have good outcomes from her research, we are shown a number of times that she actually publish her research with no strings attached. If a proper doctor is willing to continue her work many of them have great potentials.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 23:52   Link #197
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Well, Fran does help sometimes. Remember the girl who asked her to save her heart-condition brother? Although she couldn't help directly, she did accomplish it.
The brother was fine but the doctor she worked on, not so good. His surgical ability improved but he is drooling. lol.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 01:33   Link #198
Samanosuke
Genma Killer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
The brother was fine but the doctor she worked on, not so good. His surgical ability improved but he is drooling. lol.
Blessing in disguise ? Think of what would have happened if she had operated directly on the kid himself. Better the doctor be weird than the kid damadged for the rest of his....er life.
__________________
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 05:09   Link #199
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
Hm... Guess this ch finally spooked the admins at mangafox enough to close down their FF page.

"The series Franken Fran has been categorized as 'mature', therefore may contain intense violence, blood/gore, sexual content and/or strong language that may not be appropriate for underage viewers thus is blocked for their protection. It is not available in Manga Fox. "
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 10:16   Link #200
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Hm... Guess this ch finally spooked the admins at mangafox enough to close down their FF page.

"The series Franken Fran has been categorized as 'mature', therefore may contain intense violence, blood/gore, sexual content and/or strong language that may not be appropriate for underage viewers thus is blocked for their protection. It is not available in Manga Fox. "
It was still available last night when I went there to get some of the omake for a friend. I guess the warning page was pointless after all, and they should pull Mirai Nikki next due to a similar level of horror. Those hypocrites.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
horror, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.