AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-31, 20:47   Link #281
Radittz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warsaw/Poland
The dumbest character... You know, I would say it's my country - Poland XD;
about relations with other countries - in Hetalia Poland can do nothing without Lithuania's help - it's kinda not true historical view but I think it's sweet....
actually Hetalia characters presents worst stereotypes about all countries and magically change them into cute stuff - for example "Polish Jokes".
In few weeks Hetalia manga will be published in my country - I think it's great and I'm trying to not worry about some "sensitive people"...anyway - if there will be no problems in Poland it can be published everywhere
Radittz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 21:52   Link #282
Avisch
Reality Blender
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radittz View Post
The dumbest character... You know, I would say it's my country - Poland XD;
about relations with other countries - in Hetalia Poland can do nothing without Lithuania's help - it's kinda not true historical view but I think it's sweet....
actually Hetalia characters presents worst stereotypes about all countries and magically change them into cute stuff - for example "Polish Jokes".
In few weeks Hetalia manga will be published in my country - I think it's great and I'm trying to not worry about some "sensitive people"...anyway - if there will be no problems in Poland it can be published everywhere
LOl. I just read that one on the Polish joke. I had first seen that joke in the Black Lagoon manga of all places.

Heh. I'm half-polish but I don't know no any polski. But I still identify my self with Poland.

I think Poland is one of the cutest characters in Hetalia, refusing to back down (It'll always be my turn!). I'm annoyed they didn't keep the really nice moment where he says "I won't let you bully Liet" in the first episode (which depicted the world conference strip)
__________________

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 01:34   Link #283
domino
デレデレ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radittz View Post
The dumbest character... You know, I would say it's my country - Poland XD;
about relations with other countries - in Hetalia Poland can do nothing without Lithuania's help - it's kinda not true historical view but I think it's sweet....
actually Hetalia characters presents worst stereotypes about all countries and magically change them into cute stuff - for example "Polish Jokes".
In few weeks Hetalia manga will be published in my country - I think it's great and I'm trying to not worry about some "sensitive people"...anyway - if there will be no problems in Poland it can be published everywhere
I feel like in Hetalia Poland is always protecting Lithuania and being a nice friend... I like those two characters' friendship a lot. And the "it's always my turn!" and "Polish rule" lines are hilarious
The "Polish jokes" comic is adorable, too~ .. I wonder, is it based on a real joke?

And you say Hetalia manga will be published in Poland?! By what publisher? I didn't think Hetalia was being published anywhere outside of Japan..! Are any other countries currently planning to publish it? It will be interesting to one day see Hetalia published around the world~ ♪
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 02:19   Link #284
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
You do realize i was making a joke?
Yeah, but a joke of a joke is even better! Do you realize?
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 02:29   Link #285
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Over the rainbow
Poland is the BEST.

I said it !!! Oh shi--

He's one... no, he's my favorite character :3.
Zaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 10:28   Link #286
kira-sama
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
I'm really happy Hetalia made into anime
my favorite character is Austria!!!
__________________
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kurogoma/?action=view&current=kanamezero1.jpg
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 03:38   Link #287
Hourai
MINES
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Send a message via AIM to Hourai
Has anybody seen episode 2 yet, and is it good?
__________________
Hourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 04:06   Link #288
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Can't comment just yet. Apparently their DRM servers have crashed.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 04:23   Link #289
KJlost
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
... After seeing all of the arguments for and against hetalia I just want to say one thing. You guys DO know that it's not the nation of Japan or the Japanese government making this show, right? It's someone's little idea that hit it big, not the Japanese in general trying to make fun of a nation or the Japanese government trying to cover up history again. I think part of the Korean problem is that the people in Korea (who are annoyed with this, obviously not all the Koreans) don't seem to understand that this isn't a true or possibly even a (Japanese) largely held view of what Koreans are like.
Although it does greatly amuse me that a gag manga about international politics is now being involved in real world international politics.
We happen to be relatively sensitive about potential views of the Japanese public because you know, Japan is supposed to be a democratic nation, and their views are supposed to mean something.

Now, I fully realize that this is just a silly idea, and it probably does not deserve the attention it received from the Korean public. However, it is still part of popular media, the key word here being [popular]. It's a method of spreading and influencing one's views--whether intentional or unintentional--to a larger audience. Would we have cared if this was a private thing? No probably not. It wasn't when it was still just a comic right? Few people exposed, few people knew about it. Koreans, including myself, who knew of the comic, were mildly annoyed with it, but hey, what are you going to do about it? But translating the material to another media, where it becomes more readily accessible....that's irritating.

I do admit that a good portion of the reaction was irrational and immaterial. Internet views are like that. BUT, I still didn't like that fact that a Japanese person had decided to make light of a situation and a period of time that is very sensitive to us and--in many ways--remains UNRESOLVED. It might be okay to make satire of a situation that has been settled and dealt with. However, in majority of Korean's views, the issue with Japan regarding the colonization of Korea, remains a raw and sensitive issue. You're going to get a severe reaction if you mess with an open wound.

You have to understand that this is not an issue with the animation itself, not entirely anyway. This is something that just happened to touch the nerve of a much deeper issue, and most of people probably don't and can't appreciate that. So let's just leave it at that. You'll watch the shows, and we'll try our best to bring it down, simple enough for me.
KJlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 04:59   Link #290
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJlost View Post
You'll watch the shows, and we'll try our best to bring it down, simple enough for me.
And with that, let us end this vain of the discussion. As you already admitted, this has little to with the anime itself, thus has little to do with AnimeSuki. This thread is for discussing the Hetalia Axis anime, not for extensive discussions revolving around real life issues considering some ruffled feathers regarding concepts the anime is not even touching. This has been sidetracking the intended scope of this thread for long enough, and i think it is about time it stopped. You are free to "do your best to bring the show down", but please do it someplace else. Further discussions on said subject will be treated as off-topic and dealt with accordingly. Thank you for understanding.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 12:43   Link #291
domino
デレデレ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJlost View Post
We happen to be relatively sensitive about potential views of the Japanese public because you know, Japan is supposed to be a democratic nation, and their views are supposed to mean something.

Now, I fully realize that this is just a silly idea, and it probably does not deserve the attention it received from the Korean public. However, it is still part of popular media, the key word here being [popular]. It's a method of spreading and influencing one's views--whether intentional or unintentional--to a larger audience. Would we have cared if this was a private thing? No probably not. It wasn't when it was still just a comic right? Few people exposed, few people knew about it. Koreans, including myself, who knew of the comic, were mildly annoyed with it, but hey, what are you going to do about it? But translating the material to another media, where it becomes more readily accessible....that's irritating.

I do admit that a good portion of the reaction was irrational and immaterial. Internet views are like that. BUT, I still didn't like that fact that a Japanese person had decided to make light of a situation and a period of time that is very sensitive to us and--in many ways--remains UNRESOLVED. It might be okay to make satire of a situation that has been settled and dealt with. However, in majority of Korean's views, the issue with Japan regarding the colonization of Korea, remains a raw and sensitive issue. You're going to get a severe reaction if you mess with an open wound.

You have to understand that this is not an issue with the animation itself, not entirely anyway. This is something that just happened to touch the nerve of a much deeper issue, and most of people probably don't and can't appreciate that. So let's just leave it at that. You'll watch the shows, and we'll try our best to bring it down, simple enough for me.
I wonder if the people who are offended because Hetalia comes from Japan are aware of the fact that Hetalia is made by a young college student who is currently living in New York...? Not some old Japanese anti-country nationalist or anything.

I have a lot of Korean friends and understand how sensitive some Japan-related issues are with them, but if for some reason you are relating these issues to Hetalia, it's probably better to just quietly ignore Hetalia's existence instead of trying to cancel the show and ruin it for everyone. Let's just all have fun~

In any case, episode 2 is out. But it seems animate blocks foreign IPs from its web broadcast...
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 15:18   Link #292
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
At last a positive portrayal of France! Well, OK, he seems vain, petty, and selfish, but compared to other portrayals I've come across in my time on the internet, it's relatively positive.

Also, not entirely undeserved.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 19:50   Link #293
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
The second episode was much improved. The game of "Italy kickball" especially struck me as amusing.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 04:46   Link #294
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
loved the part where they (holy rome, spain, vatican and france?) played ball with chibitalia and his brother :P
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 07:56   Link #295
kira-sama
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
for me
i like the part where Germany told Italy "here the door is open, you don't want to escape???" hahahahaha
__________________
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kurogoma/?action=view&current=kanamezero1.jpg
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 18:49   Link #296
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I liked the part where just out the door he started hitting on women...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 23:19   Link #297
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Dude, this is some batshit weird stuff here. But I'm strangely fascinated and can't stop watching.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 23:34   Link #298
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
It's not not as good as i though it would be but then again the episodes are only five min each, so not much has really happened yet.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 23:34   Link #299
Sense
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I hope you know

that this comic euphemizes and beautifies the horrors of world war two. It is a total degradation to those hurt by the war, and a ridicule of history. This 'hetalia' simply proves the lack of "PROPER" educationon WW2 in Japan (seeing that..at least one author fantasizes it as some glorious adventure of Japan and their dignified fall by horrendous nuclear bomb, and how he is willing to relive this war because he thinks it was Japan's best era).

The problem is not that it is stereotyping and ridiculing other countries in some occasions...but..

How bottomless can the value of history fall?
It scares me.


PS

There are countless animes that are cuter and funnier w/o touchy subject like WW2. Go watch those ones.
Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 23:50   Link #300
Dagger
Nitro+ fan
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hyogo
My friend, there are popular video games where the players fight & kill as WWII soldiers. There are WWII board games. Precisely because Hetalia is not serious, I think it's far more benign than a lot of the other material out there...
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.