AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-08-18, 10:09   Link #221
Kirarakim

Well okay I admit it is not the fault of fansubbers or the industry that the general public is just stupid. There is nothing you can do about that.

But I think many of the fans that download fansubs/watch them on streaming sites and don't understand where they come from or that there are official products out there are kids. I think there is still hope for this group that they can learn what fansubs really are and maybe when they get older and earn some disposable income they can support the industry but they need to be educated now.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 10:18   Link #222
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfear View Post
About fansubs becoming obsolete: I think if there was a decent, official version of a show being released in around the same timeframe that your average fansub is released, most fansubbers would think twice about putting in the effort. Of course, there will always be shows that will never get licensed, and those shows will probably always be fansubbed.

About educating the consumer: I honestly think that it should be the job of the consumer to be educated about what they are watching. Most fansubs have links to the groups' websites (except of course when the people uploading to streaming sites cut this out so they can pretend they are not uploading against somebody's wishes). Anyone who is watching a fansub obviously has internet access and basic reading skills. The only thing preventing them from putting in some minor effort to figure out what the hell they are watching is laziness and disinterest. As long as this is true, the efforts of both fansubbers and the industry to educate consumers will be minimally effective. Our culture is just too screwed up (at least here in the US).
I think that's where the role of fansubbing is heading. I see this as a good thing.

And you're correct... The comments on Crunchyroll especially amuse me. There's usually a 12-24 hour lag when we release a show for it to show up on CR. There will be dozens of people who notice others talking about the show saying comments like "OMG someone upload this show so I can watch it! I can't find it anywhere!!" when the URL to our website and our irc channel is listed in every single video file. Leechers like that are helpless IMO.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 14:34   Link #223
HisshouBuraiKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
Yeah, it was nice to see that they more or less understand the problem... Now next year we need to get a Japanese executive up there and see if they get it!

-Tofu
That would be an excellent addition and would really diversify the group further.

Overall I think it went well for a first attempt. Obviously it's 11 months until the next one, but a couple things I'd like to see happen would be the panelists knowing the questions in advance (or just getting a copy of them so we don't have to crane our necks up at the projector ), more time (a given), and more time for open discussion.

We scratched the surface a little at the end when getfresh was explaining IRC bots to Lance, but then we had to move on. More dialogue like that, I think, is what we missed out on this time.

Oh, and switch up the order so the same people don't speak last every time
HisshouBuraiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 12:26   Link #224
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

I've actually been invited to do other ones at other cons, but I doubt I will go to any other than the otakon one since I'm generally far too busy. If anyone with good public speaking abilities and can maintain composure on a panel wishes to take my place at any of the others that are recommended to me just hit me up.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 03:37   Link #225
JediNight
キズランダム

Too bad I couldn't make it to Otakon this year. First time I've missed it since 2001, but I'm just flat broke right now and couldn't afford it.

We did have a Fansub/Industry discussion on a smaller scale at Anime Central this year, but that was just with David Fleming's assistant chiming in on the industry side of things in general. (Pro Translator) Not to mention Greg Ayres was causing a scene the entire weekend at the con in all his panels about wanting to "crash" the panel etc.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 10:24   Link #226
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Too bad I couldn't make it to Otakon this year. First time I've missed it since 2001, but I'm just flat broke right now and couldn't afford it.

We did have a Fansub/Industry discussion on a smaller scale at Anime Central this year, but that was just with David Fleming's assistant chiming in on the industry side of things in general. (Pro Translator) Not to mention Greg Ayres was causing a scene the entire weekend at the con in all his panels about wanting to "crash" the panel etc.
Tell Greg he is black listed from con parties and he'll tone it down lol.
Old 2008-08-26, 14:33   Link #227
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
David Fleming
Ex-fansubber from the VHS days. =)
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 17:03   Link #228
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

As I have had no reply from the ANN videographer on getting the unedited video I will have to drop the possibility of releasing a subtitled version unless they contact me out of the blue or tofu gets off his ass(doubtful). My apologies.

Tags
fansub panel, otakon