AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-09-10, 22:02   Link #81
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
This is not about knowing or not knowing. This is about seeing the crystal clear fact that the media likes to stir up nonexistent conflicts and create fears in order to sell more. Unfortunately most people don't have enough knowledge about basic science to trust scientists enough. They often think science is just Mythbusters and blowing shit up.
But... But... Pretty kaboosh...

What about the phonebook conspiracy man? WHAT ABOUT THE PHONE BOOKS?!?!

I'm actually curious to see where this whole experiment itself will lead us. The one thing about science is that an experiment that goes right, can never fail. There's always at least two possible outcomes of a scientific experiment: Truth or fiction.

It happens, or it doesn't.

Obviously that's not ENTIRELY true... But for the most part those are the general outcomes of pretty much anything. In the end all things are really possible or not.

Either way, it's always funny to see the general masses have an, "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE," field day. There's still four years and slightly more than three months until 2012 and people are already predicting armageddon.

mors certa, hora incerta
Old 2008-09-10, 22:09   Link #82
james0246

^Memento vivere.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 22:27   Link #83
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
There's still four years and slightly more than three months until 2012 and people are already predicting armageddon.
Of course, the true Armageddon, as every good *NIX user knows, will be in 2038

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 22:33   Link #84
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Of course, the true Armageddon, as every good *NIX user knows, will be in 2038

Humans exist only to wait for death.

It's a hilarious irony that the masses would refuse to believe.

So many people lament on their future destruction at the hands of the most ridiculous things.

The Human Race is and always will be pessimistic as far as I can be concerned. The only optimism is in the knowing that the event (or whatever) in question is impossible, improbable, or otherwise foolish and unlikely.
Old 2008-09-11, 01:57   Link #85
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

But there's a chance. If there's one thing that a pessimist and an optimist have in common, it's that they'll find chances to be proven right in everything.
Old 2008-09-11, 07:28   Link #86
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

"If you destroy particle physics and astronomy you will not produce more scientists working on carbon capture, you will just produce fewer scientists." Prof. David L. Wark

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7608803.stm

A recent article on the justification of the LHC project. I think the author puts up a number of good points on the fundemental science vs human/social science arguement.
Old 2008-09-11, 10:02   Link #87
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Ever since the LHC news has been announced, there's been lots of very funnily ignorant comments in forums around the world in all sorts of languages.

And concerning the preposterous bashing on the money "wasted", Stephen Hawking himself couldn't have said it any better.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/7598686.stm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hawking
Both the LHC, and the space programme, are vital if the human race is not to stultify, and eventually die out. Together they cost less than one tenth of a percent of world GDP. If the human race cannot afford that, it doesn't deserve the epithet, human.
So good luck to the scientists working on it. And, fingers crossed and touching plenty of wood, if the most unlikely event happens and we all get sucked into an expanding black hole when the experiment goes on in 2010 (or was it 2012?), I'd like to say it's been an honour to chat with you guys, and I hope to see you guys again if we get reborn in a new dimension. Until then, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 11:04   Link #88
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

If we all get sucked into a new universe, I hope we become the invading army of alien sliders Haruhi would no doubt find exciting. See you guys on the other side.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 11:13   Link #89
escimo
Paparazzi

LHC Compact Muon Solenoid Experiment Webcams
Old 2008-09-11, 11:27   Link #90
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I'm still going on the notion that the world will end by a weapon that's moddeled after a loli. The Japanese will be the end of us!

I don't really get what this thing is for. What I get is that it's suposed to find some missing links in the standard model? I'm just wondering how it's supposed to prove or find it. =o And if it doesn't find anything. Does that mean we need a new model for particle physics again?
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 14:02   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hopefully they remember not to cross the streams. Unless Gozer shows up that is....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 14:19   Link #92
bungmonkey

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/09/te...dron-collider/

We're all doomed! (think half life 1)
bungmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 18:52   Link #93
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Nice find.

BTW: for your daily (hourly, minutely) update.: Has the LHC destroyed the earth?

They even have an RSS feed ...
Old 2008-09-11, 19:09   Link #94
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungmonkey View Post

Poor Gordon Freeman... He's supposed to be a good guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Nice find.

BTW: for your daily (hourly, minutely) update.: Has the LHC destroyed the earth?

They even have an RSS feed ...
OMG IT BLINKS YES!

(Jking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
That's horrible. I love it!

Just you wait... Family Guy will be making jokes like they did with Y2K.
Old 2008-09-11, 21:40   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
oh.....that was
Spoiler:
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 21:54   Link #96
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungmonkey View Post

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

Seriously though some people are becoming to worried about this.

I find it really funny how the people who built LHC have devoted their lives to the understanding of quantum and particle physics, and yet every dumb-ass with a connection to the internet thinks he can override all those years of accredited research and knowledge on the grounds of pure speculation.
Old 2008-09-12, 04:07   Link #97
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Is there any updated information as to when it's actually being turned on? Last I heard was 2008, and I just recently saw a special about the LHC on the History Channel, which claimed that it has yet to be activated. Does anyone know when they plan to turn it on for the first time, or if they already have?
Old 2008-09-12, 04:23   Link #98
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
Is there any updated information as to when it's actually being turned on? Last I heard was 2008, and I just recently saw a special about the LHC on the History Channel, which claimed that it has yet to be activated. Does anyone know when they plan to turn it on for the first time, or if they already have?
Well, it has already been turned on...kind of. Or, I should say that the LHC has been turned on to begin testing all the parts, making sure everything works within operationally limits, etc. The actual tests will start occurring soon after, with major, currently never performed (at least at higher energy levels) tests starting sometime in November-December.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 08:28   Link #99
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
when the protons colide, it will create a tremandous amount of energy right? how will the contain it? is the energy created by the colliding protons fa greater then the energy used to accelerate them..? lets say a minature black hole becomes stabilizes, how do we stop that? or what if they find something completely unexppected and proves taht religion was right after all...? or worse it proves that religion was utter bulshit adn everybody quits their religion and start rioting and pillaging abandoning all the morals they once believed in then the world is thrown into anarch

EDit: actually religion is the cause for most of the worlds war and violence....

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 08:47   Link #100
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
when the protons colide, it will create a tremandous amount of energy right?
Not really. A collision will generate a large amount of energy per particle, but since very few particles are being collided, the total amount of energy generated is going to be quite small.

Quote:
is the energy created by the colliding protons fa greater then the energy used to accelerate them..?
Nope. That'd violate the conservation of energy.

Quote:
or what if they find something completely unexppected and proves taht religion was right after all...? or worse it proves that religion was utter bulshit adn everybody quits their religion and start rioting and pillaging abandoning all the morals they once believed in then the world is thrown into anarch
It is impossible for a religion to be proven or disproven. That's why they're religions rather than science. The question "What if the LHC were to prove the existence of Paul Bunyan?" would make just as much sense.